Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Parvo Advice For Those Who Can't Go To The Vet

I have a puppy that is 10wks. today. Last night he started throwing up chunks of food, I didn't think anything of it, till this morning. He was still throwing up and it was getting runnier than at first. He is a little lethargic and has diarrhea and worms.

I have seen parvo many times before so I know that is what it is. I can not afford a $500 vet bill, I know this is what it costs because a few years ago I had a dog that had parvo and I had him treated for it.

I am giving him electrolytes as well as oatmeal water to keep his blood sugar at a normal level, and Kaopectate for diarrhea. Are there any home remedies that really work? So far we made it through day 1.

By Crystal from Panama City, FL

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Hilario01/15/2014

I'm currently experiencing this. My dog wont eat or drink any water. My parents cant afford taking him the vet. So I'm watching him over night. He is throwing up yellow vomit. And tries to drink water but he throws up afterwards. I'm keeping him at my side petting him & cleaning after him. He also can't sleep. I'm petting him to sleep, letting him know I'm with him till he gets better. I'm praying he gets better. My support to anyone going through this or went through. Please get well.

RE: Parvo Advice For Those Who Can't Go To The Vet

By ACTrevino10/19/2013

My four month old pitbull contracted parvo about 4 days ago. Last night I researched how to care for her at home because I can't afford the vet care.
she wasn't eating, her stomach sunk is sunken in, she was vomiting and had bloody feces. I felt she was on her deathbed. So I followed some advice and gave her pedialyte and chicken broth last night.

This morning she actually wagged her tail and showed some energy and strength.
Today I did the same thing, two syringe fulls of pedialyte and chicken broth. But she is drinking water on her own and surprisingly she ate some turkey this morning then a bit of wet food and hasn't thrown it up.
I'm wondering if I should invest in this colloidal silver or charcoal tabs since she is already drinking on her own and slowly starting to eat.
Any advice?

By Virginia C.09/29/2013

First of all the Vets who let people put their animal down because of vet fees, should not be in the animal medical business. How do you put that animal down without trying treatment because the owner cant afford the high cost for treatment.

Let me say this Keflex stomaxh nausea pill, flagel, and iv bag give twice day to keep from dehydration is what my vet sent home. For $300 with vet fees. And test im treating my pit at home...and making payments weekly to cheaha animal clinic oxford al..If your vet doesnt find a way to save tour animal and is worried about the upfront cost. That in reality all meds I was sent home with is at vet cost under 50 bucks and they markup meds to profit, and I cared for my pet at home the same as they would..and prefer to care for my pet.

So that $1,000 to 6,000 in care is BS and those money hungry no animal caring devils need to be put out of business. If after I'm done with treatment and this dont work or no more options available then we talk putting to sleep not before over a greedy dollar.

By Freedom W.08/13/2013

Ok wow lots of good info here. Lets put the whole money issue aside for a moment any of you vetters ever ask your vet what percentage of parvo pups they actually save? If you did you would find it to be very low. The reason it is so low is because they just don't give the care and nutritional support a parvo puppy needs, parvo puppies need round the clock treatment for at least 3 days and we are talking every 30 minutes till eating and drinking on their own consistantly.

Vets either are not willing or not capable of doing this most will hook them up to fluids give antibiotics and check temps then there is no treatment overnight and a parvo pup left at the vet for the weekend is most certainly doomed to pass away. So regardless of homepathy or modern medicine at home treatment is a must to have the best chance of saving your pup.

The emergency tea is great and so is the parvo buster I bought it for my catahoula bulldog he was diagnosed with parvo, however I feel it was because he had been vaccinated 4 days before I took him to the vet. The reason I don't believe it was parvo is he only threw up once and had 3 diareahas. You see he tested positive because I had just injected him with the virus. Vets don't want us to know this for fear we might wise up to the whole vaccination scam.

He was at the vet for 4 days we were not allowed to see him and recieved very vague information on the treatment he was receiving (I have since changed vets). So I had a spirit led urge to take him home to finish treatment I purchased the parvo buster and made the tea. He came home on Friday. He would not have made it through the weekend as he was already very overhydrated puffy eyes, muzzel and very loose squishy skin. I cried he cried I prayed and we went home, he licked my tears the while way. We got home started the tea and waited for the pb to arrive.

It came Saturday around noon and we started it right away. I was so tired from being up all night treating my puppy but a red bull helped me so I could keep helping him. After 2 days of round the clock care he was hungry eagerly licking the babyfood, I had been rubbing on his gums. So I had a can of gastro from the vet, I have him a spoonfull with the treatment.

He made a full recovery I did finish the antibiotics the vet sent home (which upon researching had nothing to do with the treatment of parvo hmm) I never needed the nausa meds they sent and he is doing great all together I spent $1000 to save him but if I had known sooner it only would have cost less then half that for all the tea ingredients and the pb.

Pedialight is good if your dog isn't vomiting but if he is that can make it worse just stick to oatmeal water with maple syrup and emergency tea for hydration. Also there are alot of er teas out there they are good for the most part but stay away from those with garlic as they can make vomiting worse. Collidal silver is good too.

My favorite thing to insure great health in my animals is diatomacious earth google it its great I take it myself dogs and cats get it and its great in the litter box too. Impprtant things to know pale gums =dehydration cool paws =low nutients and fever =infection hope this helps someone.

By Jessica M.08/01/2013

My 15 month old Pit bull started vomiting Thursday night Friday it became worse so my husband took him in to the Animal ER $450. later we were told it was most likely Parvo and it would be another $1200. to treat. We were given antibiotics and anti nausea.

We tried and tried to keep him hydrated but we lost him Monday morning. Tuesday our 4 &1/2 Month old Pitt bull Mercy starting showing symptoms. I have taken to sleeping on the sofa with her to give her 24 hour care I read that hydration is key and that its half cup of whatever you are using to hydrate per bowel movement (diarrhea).

She is vomiting in a bowl so I have taken to measuring that output and give her as much as she loses. We are using peppermint and chamomile tea with honey for stomach cramps as well as pedialyte mixed with activated charcoal. Earlier I was able to spoon feed her baby food. I am really glad that every one here has been supportive. It is very disheartening to read people saying things like "you shouldn't have a dog if you can't afford them" No one makes a conscious decision to do so. After holding my baby as he took his last breath I wouldn't wish this pain on anyone. I will keep you posted as to how well this turns out for Mercy. My prayers go out to anyone dealing with this

By Tellah S.07/26/2013

Hi, I have a beautiful pit bull she is 9 months old I diagnosed her with parvo 4 days ago today. There is hope! I noticed Sasha had parvo on the 3rd day when she was at her worst she was vomiting yellow foam an was pooping puddles of dark brown reddish awful smelling diarrhea. She was so bad off she couldn't even stand up and was lying in her own species and vomit. :( She was so depressed and has that mommy help me look so I helped her.

I could not afford the vet so I immediately searched and searched the internet an looked up hospital cures as well as home cures and did them all! Here's what I did I used fresh squeezed lemon juice, human amoxicillin (vet uses its sister penicillin), as well as a nausea pill for human called zofran (vet uses ondansteron generic for zofran) and lots of water an pedialyte. I gave her 5ml of lemon juice in a child syringe twice daily, took the powder out of one 500 mg amoxicillin, and crushed one 8mg zofran til it was powder mixed it with boiling hot water so it would dissolve an sucked it up with the syringe as well I did this 3 x daily.

You also have to be very positive around her and love on her if you believe there's hope she will to if you dont believe neither will she and you don't want her to give up. Today is the 5th day she is getting up and walking around and drinking water on her own. She is no longer having diarrhea nor is she lethargic. She is now peeing and a million times better then she was 2 days ago when I thought she was going to die. I definitely recommend this to everyone it will work and your dog will live. I will keep you posted as she improves. Have hope.

By Kathy [3]04/28/2011

I also agree that it should be checked by a vet.I read an article about fleas and parvo that was very interesting to me.The fleas are killing us this year, even though I use Frontline. I think that I may try this on them http://www.wolfcreekranch.net/diatomaceous_earth.html.
Good Luck, Kathy, MS

By vicki hood [4]04/20/2011

Health food store. Buy enough colloidal silver for 2 enemas. !0ppm or better strength. Germs are multiplying in the large bowel. An enema , half hour later another enema. This will absorb through intestines and keep killing the parvo germs. Keep your dog hydrated by whatever means. Electrolytes, chicken soup, gator aid even if you have to stay up all night and syringe into mouth.

By Cindy [3]04/18/2011

Crystal, I've never had to deal with Parvo, but I don't think I would ever depend upon home remedies for the victims of such without the professional advice of an animal vet Doctor.

Ten weeks is such a tender age . . . please find a way to secure such advice from a professional before risking the puppy's life and well being: Your puppy is counting on your wisest choices for the long, happy, and healthy life he is hoping to share with you.

Please see a vet. Find one that can work with payment options to allow you and puppy the best chance for a long, happy life together. Good luck and best wishes for a long life with your dog pal!

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Parvo Advice For Those Who Can't Go To The Vet

I am adding this tip because my heart hurts when I hear about parvo. I know that sometimes we all can not afford the vet and it is a hard thing when you feel helpless so if you have a pet with parvo, then this is what you can do :