Browsing: Reducing Gas from Beans

Beans Without Gas

Which beans do you think are less gassy or do not give that tight bloated feeling? Black beans or navy beans?

By Onesummer

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Here is a list that rates dif kinds of beans from high to low although I suspect it varies from person to person:

http://www.freedomyou.com/recipes/beans.htm

This page says pinto, adzuki, black-eyed peas, black beans, kidney beans and chickpeas are pretty easy to digest and that navy beans were one of the harder ones to digest.

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&a ... j49r66UqUzt0t8e5L33Kg7gK0w&pli=1

If you following the soaking method if you cook your own beans or rinse canned beans if you are using those that will help. Also beans are full of fiber and high fiber foods can cause gas. So start out small and work your way up to larger portions and also the more you eat them the more your body adjusts and won't be so gassy.

You can also try taking Beano if you need to.

http://www.beanogas.com/

I recently learned a new way to cook beans on

America's Test Kitchen show. They stay whole, cook very nicely, and do seem to produce less stomach turmoil.

Cover beans in salted water [probably 2-3 tablespoons to 2 quarts water, and stir before adding dry beans]. Soak at least 8 hours, preferably overnight.

Pour into colander and rinse very well. Put in new water, and cook as usual. The skin is less likely to split using this method, and it seems to take less time.

I have cooked beans for 50 years, and am very pleased with this new method.

Add ginger to your cooking water (1 tbsp) you don't taste it and it is a natural stomach herb.

What I do with pinto beans I put when it starts cooking I wash and scrub a potato and put it in. Now there is a warning do not eat that potato, none of it. The beans are very good made that way and do not have to let them soak. A husband that ate the potato had to go to er he hurt so bad. lol Dar from Texas

To remove the gas from any and all beans, soak them until they swell up. I have soaked them overnight as well. Throw the water (not the beans), add fresh water to the pot with the beans and cook them. The beans will cook faster and with no gas.

Black beans are the best. If you soak your beans, any beans, overnight or several hours, the drain and add fresh water to cook them, they won't be gassy.

I start soaking my beans in a large bowl about a day before cooking. I rinse them at least 3-4 times really good until you can't see cloudy water each time. Never had gas since. My water does have sodium in it because we have a water treatment system in our home and that probably helps too.

December 31, 2009 Flag

Dried beans are a good cheap source of protein, fiber, etc. They also tend to cause flatulence. You can reduce the gas quotient of beans by boiling them for 1/2 hour, discarding the liquid, soaking for several hours, and discarding that liquid.

If you are not eating beans because of triglycerides, you will be interested to learn that this method works because it is those triglycerides that soak out, and get discarded. I sometimes discard the soaking/cooking water more than two times, to get rid of more stinky triglycerides.

Rose B, mother of three, in NC

Editors Note: This also works with canned beans. Rinse them well before adding them to chili, salads, etc.

Answers:

Beans Without Gas

You can also add a teaspoon of baking soda when you start to cook them and no gas. (01/28/2008)

By Kathielee

Gas from Beans
Reducing Gas from Beans
Food and Recipes Food Tips Helpful HintsDecember 31, 2009
Canning Green Beans, Freezing Green Beans, Growing Green Beans, Storing Green Beans, Drying Green Beans
Storing Green Beans
Gas Log Fireplace
Gas Log Tips
Freezing Green Beans
gas costs for road travel
Estimating Gas Costs for Road Trips
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 22, 2016 at 12:34:32 PM on 10.0.2.241 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.