Browsing: Troubleshooting Truck Heater Problems

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Troubleshooting Truck Heater Problems

When your vehicle's heater is not blowing hot air, you need to figure out why not. This guide is about troubleshooting truck heater problems.

Snow Covered Truck
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

February 7, 2014 Flag

I have an 04 Chevy Silverado 5.3 and I'm having heater problems. I'm not getting any air hot or cold blowing out, but when I get on the highway a very small amount will blow out. Days will go by and then out of nowhere the blower well start to work and blow perfectly fine on all speeds for a day or so and then it will stop.

By Andrew S. from Kansas

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Try having this done. Back flush the heater core. It cost me $100.00 to have. I had no heat at all.

I am 79, coming on 80 years old and still learning about a car. I own a

1994 Ford Crown Vic named Louie and he takes me everywhere. Hope this helps! Mrs C.

The same thing is going on with my truck and it is not the blower and it is not the heater cord

December 1, 2008 Flag

My 94 Ranger has a heater problem that I can not figure out. First off the the temp gauge does the windshield wiper thing, up and down, up and down. To make matters worse, often there is no heat. I have changed the thermostat and that didn't help. The top hose from the radiator does get warm, sometimes the heater hose gets hot. I've flushed the system once already. Any ideas?

Richard from Waterford, CT

Best Answer

My husband had the same problem with our 93 Ranger. Several years ago, after driving for 2 Chicago winters with no heat (he tried all the usual stuff), I suggested he SOAK the heater core in CLR over night. Then he flushed it SEVERAL times with clear water, reinstalled it and it still works fine! He is toasty warm...of course NOW the Air Conditioner does not work...but his window does!

1996 ford ranger.New Thermastart Top hose hot Hoses to the core warm, bottom hose is not

July 20, 2015 Flag

My 2006 Ford Ranger is blowing hot air all the time. The cold to hot knob seems not to be working. If I put it on outside air it blows hot, if I try to use the a/c it's hot. I live in Dallas, Texas and it's hot and I need to use the a/c, but I can't. How do I fix this issue?

Best Answer

Most likely you need to take it to the shop and have them put freon gas in the air conditioner. As they age, air conditioners leak the gas bit by bit and when it's gone they won't cool any more. It's not something you can fix yourself. Good luck!

Take it to your area mechanic and have Freon put into it - Freon is not cheap so be prepared to drop over or around $50 to fix it IF that is the problem AND hope that the Freon does not leak out after you have paid to have it put into the truck. Good luck!

November 24, 2014 Flag

My 99 S10 v6 heater/ac blower works well except the fan doesn't blow air/heat on the floor setting or the combination floor/vents. When I put the selector on floor setting, I can hear the "door" directing it to the floor open/close, and the fan running, but nothing is coming out of the floor vents. Also the blower doesn't work on the #1 setting no matter what vent setting. Position 2 - 4 works on all except the floor.

By Jerry c

Ohh wow! That was extremely helpful!!!! LMFAO!!!!

Check the vaccume hose that activates the vent door for leaks

I have an 07 Chevy van and that was my problem

Only had defroster venting until I replaced the vaccume hose between the intake manifold and vaccume ball

Now all works well again

November 10, 2014 Flag

How do you get to the heat and ac vents that distrbute hot and cold air to the windshield? The hot air and cold air won't blow out of the bottom or windshield vents.

By Jason

Best Answer

You likely have a broken fan.

The switch behind the dash is broken most Ford's have a little handle when you turn it to defrost or bottom the handle pushes a flap that rerouted the air sometimes you can repack behind glove box and see it moving when you turn it to defrost or front vents and then reach back and move it where you want but bumps in road will cause it to it to fall right back where it was not unless you rig it sure it will cost a good bit to fix something so small cause sure the dash will have to come out

February 6, 2014 Flag

I have a 1998 Ford Explorer. My heat went out a month ago, but just by dumb luck I started hammering around the metal housing, and luckily, the heat came on. But now, the tapping doesn't work anymore. I use to get some warm air, but now I have none. Is it possible that my blower motor went out, or could it be something else?

By Tiffany S. from Gary

Best Answer

More then likely it is indeed your blower motor that has died.

Mine. is like that i put another heater control does nothing

January 3, 2016 Flag

Hey can anyone please help? I just bought a 97 F-250 xlt extended cab and the heat will not work. It does not blow air and the heat/ac control does not light up. The truck did not come with a manual so I downloaded one from internet and I checked the fuses that the manual said were for the blower. I don't know how accurate the manual is because I'm also having an issue with my turn signals staying illuminated and when I take the relay that the manual says is for blinkers out they still have power. Anyway I do get a little bit of heat coming out while I'm driving but very little. I'm from jersey and it's starting to get cold can anyone please help.

I have never really read anything on this site which has been helpful for truck repairs, although problems with heaters are very common. Perhaps you could try googling for a truck repair/mechanics forum. My son belongs to several for modifying vehicles for off-roading. These are usually guys with a mechanical bent or actual journeymen mechanics asking each other for tips and advice. I would suggest that before you start making extensive repairs yourself, you take it to a shop with a good mechanic. I see many people on here who make extensive repairs, add all sorts of parts themselves, and still don't have their vehicle repaired. It is a false economy to attempt repairs yourself if you do not know what the problem is.

Needs new Heater Core.

November 23, 2014 Flag

I have a 1998 Chevy Z71 1500. My heater won't blow hot air unless I am driving it or giving it more throttle.

Load More
Consumer Advice Cars Repair AdviceSeptember 5, 2013
Water Heater
Troubleshooting a Water Heater
Man Troubleshooting a Truck That Won't Start
Troubleshooting a Truck That Won't Start
Rust and Peeling Blue Paint on Car
Removing Rust from a Car or Truck
Maintaining Your Water Heater
Maintaining Your Water Heater
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 21, 2016 at 12:18:28 PM on 10.0.1.149 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.