Troubleshooting Truck Heater Problems

When your vehicle's heater is not blowing hot air, you need to figure out why not. This guide is about troubleshooting truck heater problems.

Snow Covered Truck
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

My 2006 Ford Ranger is blowing hot air all the time. The cold to hot knob seems not to be working. If I put it on outside air it blows hot, if I try to use the a/c it's hot. I live in Dallas, Texas and it's hot and I need to use the a/c, but I can't. How do I fix this issue?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
    Best Answer

Most likely you need to take it to the shop and have them put freon gas in the air conditioner. As they age, air conditioners leak the gas bit by bit and when it's gone they won't cool any more. It's not something you can fix yourself. Good luck!

Read More Answers...

I have an 04 Chevy Silverado 5.3 and I'm having heater problems. I'm not getting any air hot or cold blowing out, but when I get on the highway a very small amount will blow out. Days will go by and then out of nowhere the blower well start to work and blow perfectly fine on all speeds for a day or so and then it will stop.

By Andrew S. from Kansas

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
    Best Answer

This same thing was happening in my husband's jeep. It was the heater core that had to be replaced.

Best Answer

Try having this done. Back flush the heater core. It cost me $100.00 to have. I had no heat at all.

I am 79, coming on 80 years old and still learning about a car. I own a

1994 Ford Crown Vic named Louie and he takes me everywhere. Hope this helps! Mrs C.

My 94 Ranger has a heater problem that I can not figure out. First off the the temp gauge does the windshield wiper thing, up and down, up and down. To make matters worse, often there is no heat. I have changed the thermostat and that didn't help. The top hose from the radiator does get warm, sometimes the heater hose gets hot. I've flushed the system once already. Any ideas?

Richard from Waterford, CT

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
    Best Answer

Sounds remotely like a possible plugged heater core, to flush take both heater hoses off and flush with a garden hose.

Best Answer

You could check for a broken head gasket. Check the oil on the dip stick and see if there is any water mixing with the oil. Or take it to your mechanic and he will check the oil.

Best Answer

My husband had the same problem with our 93 Ranger. Several years ago, after driving for 2 Chicago winters with no heat (he tried all the usual stuff), I suggested he SOAK the heater core in CLR over night. Then he flushed it SEVERAL times with clear water, reinstalled it and it still works fine! He is toasty warm...of course NOW the Air Conditioner does not work...but his window does!

Read More Answers...

I have a 1998 Ford Explorer. My heat went out a month ago, but just by dumb luck I started hammering around the metal housing, and luckily, the heat came on. But now, the tapping doesn't work anymore. I use to get some warm air, but now I have none. Is it possible that my blower motor went out, or could it be something else?

By Tiffany S. from Gary

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
    Best Answer

More then likely it is indeed your blower motor that has died.

Read More Answers...

How do you get to the heat and ac vents that distrbute hot and cold air to the windshield? The hot air and cold air won't blow out of the bottom or windshield vents.

By Jason

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
    Best Answer

You likely have a broken fan.

Hey can anyone please help? I just bought a 97 F-250 xlt extended cab and the heat will not work. It does not blow air and the heat/ac control does not light up. The truck did not come with a manual so I downloaded one from internet and I checked the fuses that the manual said were for the blower. I don't know how accurate the manual is because I'm also having an issue with my turn signals staying illuminated and when I take the relay that the manual says is for blinkers out they still have power. Anyway I do get a little bit of heat coming out while I'm driving but very little. I'm from jersey and it's starting to get cold can anyone please help.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have never really read anything on this site which has been helpful for truck repairs, although problems with heaters are very common. Perhaps you could try googling for a truck repair/mechanics forum. My son belongs to several for modifying vehicles for off-roading. These are usually guys with a mechanical bent or actual journeymen mechanics asking each other for tips and advice. I would suggest that before you start making extensive repairs yourself, you take it to a shop with a good mechanic. I see many people on here who make extensive repairs, add all sorts of parts themselves, and still don't have their vehicle repaired. It is a false economy to attempt repairs yourself if you do not know what the problem is.

I have a 2004 Silverado. The heater works on one side, but not the other. One side blows hot air, but the driver's side doesn't, it blows cold air.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Call Auto Zone or O'Riley ' s I bet someone in there can tell.

Controls on dash.My 2006 Dodge Dakota heater/conditioner makes a fast clicking sound when I change from floor to defrost, etc.

By DMcK

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Heater door actuator is stripped or just noisy.

How do I fix my 2008 Dodge Ram1500 heater? When I adjust my heater to the floor it goes to the defrosters.

By Joel from Warren, MI

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
        Best Answer

Sound like the blender door in your heater has broken.

I have a 1994 Ford 150 truck. The heater barely gets warm air into the truck. I have had the heater core and radiator flushed. What else should we do?

By Dixie M.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Get a repair manual and do it yourself. Mechanics charge to much and half the time thay are guessing what the problem is so you pay for parts you didn't need.

Read More Answers...

Something fell in. How do I get it out?

By Tammy

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Need to know the make, model and year of the truck, what dropped in and from where.

Why does my heater not blow hot air when it is turned to the red on the switch?

By J W

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Need a bit more information to find an answer-the heater manufacturer, type, age, etc. However, it is possible that the element is damaged.

My truck heater blows hard, but does not get hot. If I turn the mix down it gets cool, but if I turn the mix up to total hot it gets lukewarm. There is a new thermostat, new hoses, and new fluid. It just don't get good and hot. The scan shows 180' hoses in and out of the heater core are hot going in an cool coming out. Could it be blocked in the cold hot mix? Can someone help?

By Keith

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Perhaps some of the heating elements stopped working?

The blower blows hot and cold, but won't defrost and the windows fog up.

By cartercory71

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You do not provide much information for a possible answer, e.g., truck make, model, year, etc. However, there could be many possibilities so the best plan would be to take your truck to a repair service.

Why do my windows fog up when I put the defrost on in my Ford pick up and it blows warm air?

By David E.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You can contact a Ford dealer, Ford online-customer service, a Ford mechanic, etc.

My 2009 Ford F150 4x4 is blowing only cold air with the heater on. Any suggestions on what the problem could be?

By Karen

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Suggest you contact a Ford dealer, mechanic, Ford online customer service.

The heater will not blow hot air. The truck doesn't run hot and cools fine.

By Tim

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Your heater fan is broken.

Read More Answers...

I have a 1998 Chevy Z71 1500. My heater won't blow hot air unless I am driving it or giving it more throttle.

AnswerMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes
        Load More
        Consumer Advice Cars Repair AdviceSeptember 5, 2013
        Water Heater
        Troubleshooting a Water Heater
        Man Troubleshooting a Truck That Won't Start
        Troubleshooting a Truck That Won't Start
        Rust and Peeling Blue Paint on Car
        Removing Rust from a Car or Truck
        Maintaining Your Water Heater
        Maintaining Your Water Heater
        © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 29, 2016 at 4:04:58 AM on 10.0.0.38 in 318 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.