Troubleshooting Truck Heater Problems

When your vehicle's heater is not blowing hot air, you need to figure out why not. This guide is about troubleshooting truck heater problems.

October 3, 2016 Flag

I just had my air conditioner replaced. My heater was working fine before I did. It would get really warm to the point that I would need to turn it down. Now it's blowing little to no warm air. I paid out a lot of money for the air conditioner work, only to have the heater not working all of a sudden. Could it be they did something during the work that would cause my heater to not blow hot air?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My heater stays hot thin back to cold the blower working fine

February 7, 2014 Flag

I have an 04 Chevy Silverado 5.3 and I'm having heater problems. I'm not getting any air hot or cold blowing out, but when I get on the highway a very small amount will blow out. Days will go by and then out of nowhere the blower well start to work and blow perfectly fine on all speeds for a day or so and then it will stop.

By Andrew S. from Kansas

Best Answer

This same thing was happening in my husband's jeep. It was the heater core that had to be replaced.

Best Answer

December 1, 2008 Flag

My 94 Ranger has a heater problem that I can not figure out. First off the the temp gauge does the windshield wiper thing, up and down, up and down. To make matters worse, often there is no heat. I have changed the thermostat and that didn't help. The top hose from the radiator does get warm, sometimes the heater hose gets hot. I've flushed the system once already. Any ideas?

Richard from Waterford, CT

Best Answer

You could check for a broken head gasket. Check the oil on the dip stick and see if there is any water mixing with the oil. Or take it to your mechanic and he will check the oil.

Best Answer

November 10, 2016 Flag

I have a 1993 Chevy truck. I turned my heat on for the first time this year and it blows cold, last year it was hot. I replaced the T-stat and flushed the system with no luck. Is there something else that can be tried before I replace the heater core or should I go ahead and replace it?

July 20, 2015 Flag

My 2006 Ford Ranger is blowing hot air all the time. The cold to hot knob seems not to be working. If I put it on outside air it blows hot, if I try to use the a/c it's hot. I live in Dallas, Texas and it's hot and I need to use the a/c, but I can't. How do I fix this issue?

Best Answer

Most likely you need to take it to the shop and have them put freon gas in the air conditioner. As they age, air conditioners leak the gas bit by bit and when it's gone they won't cool any more. It's not something you can fix yourself. Good luck!

November 24, 2014 Flag

My 99 S10 v6 heater/ac blower works well except the fan doesn't blow air/heat on the floor setting or the combination floor/vents. When I put the selector on floor setting, I can hear the "door" directing it to the floor open/close, and the fan running, but nothing is coming out of the floor vents. Also the blower doesn't work on the #1 setting no matter what vent setting. Position 2 - 4 works on all except the floor.

By Jerry c

Check the vaccume hose that activates the vent door for leaks

I have an 07 Chevy van and that was my problem

Only had defroster venting until I replaced the vaccume hose between the intake manifold and vaccume ball

Now all works well again

February 6, 2014 Flag

I have a 1998 Ford Explorer. My heat went out a month ago, but just by dumb luck I started hammering around the metal housing, and luckily, the heat came on. But now, the tapping doesn't work anymore. I use to get some warm air, but now I have none. Is it possible that my blower motor went out, or could it be something else?

By Tiffany S. from Gary

Best Answer

More then likely it is indeed your blower motor that has died.

November 10, 2014 Flag

How do you get to the heat and ac vents that distrbute hot and cold air to the windshield? The hot air and cold air won't blow out of the bottom or windshield vents.

By Jason

Best Answer

You likely have a broken fan.

January 3, 2016 Flag

Hey can anyone please help? I just bought a 97 F-250 xlt extended cab and the heat will not work. It does not blow air and the heat/ac control does not light up. The truck did not come with a manual so I downloaded one from internet and I checked the fuses that the manual said were for the blower. I don't know how accurate the manual is because I'm also having an issue with my turn signals staying illuminated and when I take the relay that the manual says is for blinkers out they still have power. Anyway I do get a little bit of heat coming out while I'm driving but very little. I'm from jersey and it's starting to get cold can anyone please help.

I have never really read anything on this site which has been helpful for truck repairs, although problems with heaters are very common. Perhaps you could try googling for a truck repair/mechanics forum. My son belongs to several for modifying vehicles for off-roading. These are usually guys with a mechanical bent or actual journeymen mechanics asking each other for tips and advice. I would suggest that before you start making extensive repairs yourself, you take it to a shop with a good mechanic. I see many people on here who make extensive repairs, add all sorts of parts themselves, and still don't have their vehicle repaired. It is a false economy to attempt repairs yourself if you do not know what the problem is.

November 23, 2014 Flag

I have a 1998 Chevy Z71 1500. My heater won't blow hot air unless I am driving it or giving it more throttle.

By DB

Add more fluid and check for leaks

February 7, 2014 Flag

My 2006 Dodge Dakota heater/conditioner makes a fast clicking sound when I change from floor to defrost, etc.

By DMcK

Heater door actuator is stripped or just noisy.

February 6, 2014 Flag

How do I fix my 2008 Dodge Ram1500 heater? When I adjust my heater to the floor it goes to the defrosters.

By Joel from Warren, MI

Best Answer

Sound like the blender door in your heater has broken.

December 24, 2014 Flag

Why do my windows fog up when I put the defrost on in my Ford pick up and it blows warm air?

Load More
Consumer Advice Cars Repair AdviceSeptember 5, 2013
Water Heater
Troubleshooting a Water Heater
Man Troubleshooting a Truck That Won't Start
Troubleshooting a Truck That Won't Start
Rust and Peeling Blue Paint on Car
Removing Rust from a Car or Truck
Maintaining Your Water Heater
Maintaining Your Water Heater
🎉
🎄