Troubleshooting Truck Heater Problems

Category Repair Advice
Snow Covered Truck
When your vehicle's heater is not blowing hot air, you need to figure out why not. This guide is about troubleshooting truck heater problems.

If your Ford F-150 truck heater isn't working you will want to get it fixed before cold weather sets in. This is a guide about Ford F-150 heater not working.

Truck heater vent.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

It is maddening to get into your car or truck on a cold day to find that the heater is not working. Check out this guide for some troubleshooting ideas when your Dodge Dakota heater isn't working.

Controls on dash.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I have an 04 Chevy Silverado 5.3 and I'm having heater problems. I'm not getting any air hot or cold blowing out, but when I get on the highway a very small amount will blow out. Days will go by and then out of nowhere the blower well start to work and blow perfectly fine on all speeds for a day or so and then it will stop.

By Andrew S. from Kansas

Best Answer

Try having this done. Back flush the heater core. It cost me $100.00 to have. I had no heat at all.

I am 79, coming on 80 years old and still learning about a car. I own a

1994 Ford Crown Vic named Louie and he takes me everywhere. Hope this helps! Mrs C.

I just had my air conditioner replaced. My heater was working fine before I did. It would get really warm to the point that I would need to turn it down. Now it's blowing little to no warm air. I paid out a lot of money for the air conditioner work, only to have the heater not working all of a sudden. Could it be they did something during the work that would cause my heater to not blow hot air?

Answer Was this helpful? 2

This possibly could be the heater coil going out, are thermostat check the thermostat first it's going to be the lesser cost an labor of the two.!!

How do you get to the heat and ac vents that distrbute hot and cold air to the windshield? The hot air and cold air won't blow out of the bottom or windshield vents.

By Jason

Best Answer

You likely have a broken fan.

I have a 1998 Chevy Z71 1500. My heater won't blow hot air unless I am driving it or giving it more throttle.

By DB

Anonymous

low coolant

I have a 2002 Chevy Silverado. I turn the heater knob and nothing comes on. Can you tell me what is going on? Help, it's cold here in western New York.

The thermostat might be burned out. The heat can't work until, it is replaced.

I have a 1993 Chevy truck. I turned my heat on for the first time this year and it blows cold, last year it was hot. I replaced the T-stat and flushed the system with no luck. Is there something else that can be tried before I replace the heater core or should I go ahead and replace it?

where is the blend door located how many doors are there in the heater checked the one by the gas pedal and the one behind the middle vent is there another

I have a 2008 Silverado and yesterday I went to start it after only being parked an hour and heard a grinding noise, which stopped after 4-5 seconds. Then no air flow at all. I checked the blower motor, resistor, and wires, but it all is fine. The grinding sounds like it's coming from under the hood when it happens. It's happened again today and nothing will blow. If I wait 15 minutes, the air will blow again. Can an idler pulley or belt cause this? My belts need replacing.

Anonymous

Pulled it all apart and reconnected everything. Seems to be working fine now....

My 99 S10 v6 heater/ac blower works well except the fan doesn't blow air/heat on the floor setting or the combination floor/vents. When I put the selector on floor setting, I can hear the "door" directing it to the floor open/close, and the fan running, but nothing is coming out of the floor vents. Also the blower doesn't work on the #1 setting no matter what vent setting. Position 2 - 4 works on all except the floor.

By Jerry c

Anonymous

Heater core

Why is my heater turning on with the truck powered down? Also, when you drive, it turns off and on when it wants to. Only high speed works.

It sounds like a short. You might need a mechanic to check it out.

Hey can anyone please help? I just bought a 97 F-250 xlt extended cab and the heat will not work. It does not blow air and the heat/ac control does not light up. The truck did not come with a manual so I downloaded one from internet and I checked the fuses that the manual said were for the blower. I don't know how accurate the manual is because I'm also having an issue with my turn signals staying illuminated and when I take the relay that the manual says is for blinkers out they still have power. Anyway I do get a little bit of heat coming out while I'm driving but very little. I'm from jersey and it's starting to get cold can anyone please help.

Anonymous

Needs new Heater Core.

The heater will not blow hot air. The truck doesn't run hot and cools fine.

By Tim

Your heater fan is broken.

My truck is a 96 S10 2.2l with a manual transmission. The heater is not functioning. I have flushed and back flushed the heater core already and changed the coolant and flushed it too. So now I don't know what to do. I need help guys.

By Jon P.

I asked my husband and he said the same thing as zoodad, so that is two in favor of so far.

How do I fix a 2007 Ford Ranger heater? It has been to the shop and they said there was no problem with the heater core, but only a leak. It still does not work.

By Brenda

Turn your cold to hot mixture knob back and forth and listen for it to open and/or close. Mine puts out either cold or luke warm air. I was pulling a uhaul trailer and the temp never went above low on the guage. When I stopped because I thought I was low on coolant I was able to actually remove the cap and see it was full also put my finger in coolant and it's luke warm. I've changed out the door on a ford RV that one wouldn't move so you wouldn't hear it close. I flushed my system and I will be replacing the thermostat.

There is heat to the heater core, the fan blows cold air only to roof vents. When I open the cover to the heater core the fan blows the air out instead of sucking it through the core.

Apparently this is a semi common problem.

Here's a Ford trucks forums where people who have more expertise talk about these problems: http://www.ford … ng-cold-air.html

Some solutions suggested are making sure that the blend doors, the coolant level, and the heater core are working properly.

Here is a product that seems to solve the problem: http://heatertr … ujdv1us4oonpn762

The heater on my '96 GMC doesn't turn on. I turned the knob and there is no air what so ever. What's the problem?

First thing to check is your fuse. 2. Check your switch : There are 2 wires on the back of switch. Connect wires together, if your blower heater motor turns the problem is your switch, if it does not its the blower motor.

We have a 1997 Ford Ranger pickup. The heater is turned off and the blower is turned off, yet it is still pouring heat into the cab. Any suggestions?

I don't know how to fix it, but you can remove the fuse to stop it.

I have a 1994 GMC Sierra with new A/C evaporator installed six years ago. The A/C works great with no bad odor. When the heater is turned on, the air has a bad odor. The odor continues (forever) during the winter. What could cause this?

Anonymous

leaky heater core, antifreeze around the heater core, replace or flush the system.

I have a 2004 Silverado. The heater works on one side, but not the other. One side blows hot air, but the driver's side doesn't, it blows cold air.

Call Auto Zone or O'Riley ' s I bet someone in there can tell.

Something fell in. How do I get it out?

By Tammy

Need to know the make, model and year of the truck, what dropped in and from where.

Why does my heater not blow hot air when it is turned to the red on the switch?

By J W

Need a bit more information to find an answer-the heater manufacturer, type, age, etc. However, it is possible that the element is damaged.

My truck heater blows hard, but does not get hot. If I turn the mix down it gets cool, but if I turn the mix up to total hot it gets lukewarm. There is a new thermostat, new hoses, and new fluid. It just don't get good and hot. The scan shows 180' hoses in and out of the heater core are hot going in an cool coming out. Could it be blocked in the cold hot mix? Can someone help?

By Keith

Perhaps some of the heating elements stopped working?

My Chevy S-10 pickup heater only works when I drive fast. It'll work for a few seconds and then stop blowing hot air.

By David L.

Make sure your radiator is full of water.

I have a 99 Dodge 1500 that the heat blower works fine until you turn the head lights on; then there is no blower. Tried all settings and it just doesn't blow. If you turn the headlights off the blower turns on.

By Jamie G.

Louise, we all understand you are proud of your son, and I am sure he is a great mechanic...but replying to every post with "find a trusted, reliable mechanic" isn't really what this forum is about. This is for those who are mechanically inclined and may be able to fix the problem themselves.

I have a 2005 Chevy Colorado; it will blow heat and a/c and then it quits after awhile. If I shut the blower off for a little bit it will work again. I don't know what's causing it.

By Tom

I'm not sure, but I too have a 2005 Chevy Colorado, and my blower only works on high. I'm wondering if this is a problem with Colorado's? I've checked for recalls, but have found nothing on this. Hopefully someone else will know the answer to your question... :)

Why does the fan in my '98 Chevy 1500 turn on and off by itself?

By TyC

Sounds like an electrical problem to me. If you don't have the manual for your car go online and get one. Look up the problem once you get the manual.

What would be the problem if there's no power to the plug for the resistor?

By Samuel from Russellville, AR

The guide that is attached to this post has a lot of good suggestions. Here is a direct link to that guide. Click on any post to see all the information posted.

http://www.thri … f643993.tip.html

If you find a solution, please report back and let us know what you found.

Best Wishes,

Jess

ThriftyFun

My heater only blows hot air on the low setting, but cold air on high.

By Brandon

This usually means the antifreeze is old, and needs to be changed. It still has some ability to hold heat, so you get heat on low, but when you switch to high the extraction of heat is faster than the fluid can absorb. Replacing the antifreeze solution completely should solve this problem. You might also want to look at your thermostat, since a poorly functioning thermostat can create the same problem, except it never allows the heat to build up as high as it once did.

I have Ford E 250. The heater blower works, but there is no hot air.

Load More