Troubleshooting Truck Heater Problems

When your vehicle's heater is not blowing hot air, you need to figure out why not. This guide is about troubleshooting truck heater problems.

January 22, 2017 Flag

Why is my heater turning on with the truck powered down? Also, when you drive, it turns off and on when it wants to. Only high speed works.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If it works sporadically, you may have a thermostat problem.

December 31, 2016 Flag

I have a 2002 Chevy Silverado. I turn the heater knob and nothing comes on. Can you tell me what is going on? Help, it's cold here in western New York.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Is the fan working??

December 11, 2016 Flag

I have a Ford 2005 F150 with no heat. I changed the resister and the blower motor. When I turn the dials I hear something moving, but no heat. Can someone please help?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Thank you very much. I will check

October 3, 2016 Flag

I just had my air conditioner replaced. My heater was working fine before I did. It would get really warm to the point that I would need to turn it down. Now it's blowing little to no warm air. I paid out a lot of money for the air conditioner work, only to have the heater not working all of a sudden. Could it be they did something during the work that would cause my heater to not blow hot air?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have 2006 dodge ram 1500 Hein. Heater blows cold air if I turn it off for a minute then turn it back on the heat works for about 10 seconds help winter is coming fast

December 13, 2016 Flag

I have a 2008 Silverado and yesterday I went to start it after only being parked an hour and heard a grinding noise, which stopped after 4-5 seconds. Then no air flow at all. I checked the blower motor, resistor, and wires, but it all is fine. The grinding sounds like it's coming from under the hood when it happens. It's happened again today and nothing will blow. If I wait 15 minutes, the air will blow again. Can an idler pulley or belt cause this? My belts need replacing.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Make sure the blower motor isn't loose, check the blower's housing. And make sure all your fluids are filled. You might consider the bearings on the blower motor, too. And a good blanket isn't a bad idea either. Good luck

November 10, 2016 Flag

I have a 1993 Chevy truck. I turned my heat on for the first time this year and it blows cold, last year it was hot. I replaced the T-stat and flushed the system with no luck. Is there something else that can be tried before I replace the heater core or should I go ahead and replace it?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

It could be your blend door that door let cold air in or hot

December 17, 2016 Flag

There is heat to the heater core, the fan blows cold air only to roof vents. When I open the cover to the heater core the fan blows the air out instead of sucking it through the core.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Apparently this is a semi common problem.

Here's a Ford trucks forums where people who have more expertise talk about these problems: http://www.ford … ng-cold-air.html

Some solutions suggested are making sure that the blend doors, the coolant level, and the heater core are working properly.

Here is a product that seems to solve the problem: http://heatertr … ujdv1us4oonpn762

February 7, 2014 Flag

I have an 04 Chevy Silverado 5.3 and I'm having heater problems. I'm not getting any air hot or cold blowing out, but when I get on the highway a very small amount will blow out. Days will go by and then out of nowhere the blower well start to work and blow perfectly fine on all speeds for a day or so and then it will stop.

By Andrew S. from Kansas

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

This same thing was happening in my husband's jeep. It was the heater core that had to be replaced.

December 9, 2016 Flag

The heater on my '96 GMC doesn't turn on. I turned the knob and there is no air what so ever. What's the problem?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

First thing to check is your fuse. 2. Check your switch : There are 2 wires on the back of switch. Connect wires together, if your blower heater motor turns the problem is your switch, if it does not its the blower motor.

November 24, 2014 Flag

My 99 S10 v6 heater/ac blower works well except the fan doesn't blow air/heat on the floor setting or the combination floor/vents. When I put the selector on floor setting, I can hear the "door" directing it to the floor open/close, and the fan running, but nothing is coming out of the floor vents. Also the blower doesn't work on the #1 setting no matter what vent setting. Position 2 - 4 works on all except the floor.

By Jerry c

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Check the vaccume hose that activates the vent door for leaks

I have an 07 Chevy van and that was my problem

Only had defroster venting until I replaced the vaccume hose between the intake manifold and vaccume ball

Now all works well again

November 10, 2014 Flag

How do you get to the heat and ac vents that distrbute hot and cold air to the windshield? The hot air and cold air won't blow out of the bottom or windshield vents.

By Jason

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

You likely have a broken fan.

November 23, 2014 Flag

I have a 1998 Chevy Z71 1500. My heater won't blow hot air unless I am driving it or giving it more throttle.

By DB

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Add more fluid and check for leaks

November 8, 2014 Flag

I have a 1994 Ford 150 truck. The heater barely gets warm air into the truck. I have had the heater core and radiator flushed. What else should we do?

By Dixie M.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

no heat replaced thermostat and radiator

January 3, 2016 Flag

Hey can anyone please help? I just bought a 97 F-250 xlt extended cab and the heat will not work. It does not blow air and the heat/ac control does not light up. The truck did not come with a manual so I downloaded one from internet and I checked the fuses that the manual said were for the blower. I don't know how accurate the manual is because I'm also having an issue with my turn signals staying illuminated and when I take the relay that the manual says is for blinkers out they still have power. Anyway I do get a little bit of heat coming out while I'm driving but very little. I'm from jersey and it's starting to get cold can anyone please help.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have never really read anything on this site which has been helpful for truck repairs, although problems with heaters are very common. Perhaps you could try googling for a truck repair/mechanics forum. My son belongs to several for modifying vehicles for off-roading. These are usually guys with a mechanical bent or actual journeymen mechanics asking each other for tips and advice. I would suggest that before you start making extensive repairs yourself, you take it to a shop with a good mechanic. I see many people on here who make extensive repairs, add all sorts of parts themselves, and still don't have their vehicle repaired. It is a false economy to attempt repairs yourself if you do not know what the problem is.

December 24, 2014 Flag

Why do my windows fog up when I put the defrost on in my Ford pick up and it blows warm air?

By David E.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Is your air recirculation on if so shut it off air recirculation will keep moisture in the vehicle

December 12, 2015 Flag

I have a 1994 GMC Sierra with new A/C evaporator installed six years ago. The A/C works great with no bad odor. When the heater is turned on, the air has a bad odor. The odor continues (forever) during the winter. What could cause this?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

leaky heater core, antifreeze around the heater core, replace or flush the system.

December 1, 2015 Flag

I have a 2004 Silverado. The heater works on one side, but not the other. One side blows hot air, but the driver's side doesn't, it blows cold air.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Call Auto Zone or O'Riley ' s I bet someone in there can tell.

July 22, 2016 Flag

We have a 1997 Ford Ranger pickup. The heater is turned off and the blower is turned off, yet it is still pouring heat into the cab. Any suggestions?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 8, 2015 Flag

Something fell in. How do I get it out?

By Tammy

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Need to know the make, model and year of the truck, what dropped in and from where.

November 22, 2013 Flag

The heater will not blow hot air. The truck doesn't run hot and cools fine.

By Tim

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If it blows air at all, try checking the thermostat. It may be stuck in the open position, not capturing heat to blow into the cab.

February 21, 2015 Flag

Why does my heater not blow hot air when it is turned to the red on the switch?

By J W

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Need a bit more information to find an answer-the heater manufacturer, type, age, etc. However, it is possible that the element is damaged.

January 23, 2015 Flag

My truck heater blows hard, but does not get hot. If I turn the mix down it gets cool, but if I turn the mix up to total hot it gets lukewarm. There is a new thermostat, new hoses, and new fluid. It just don't get good and hot.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Load More
Consumer Advice Cars Repair AdviceSeptember 5, 2013
Water Heater
Troubleshooting a Water Heater
Man Troubleshooting a Truck That Won't Start
Troubleshooting a Truck That Won't Start
Rust and Peeling Blue Paint on Car
Removing Rust from a Car or Truck
Maintaining Your Water Heater
Maintaining Your Water Heater
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 23, 2017 at 2:47:35 PM on 10.0.1.108 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.