Make Chew Bones Interesting Again

Keeping those rawhide chew bones interesting: A clerk at the pet store told me that instead of throwing them out, she rubs a small amount of peanut butter on cleaned doggie rawhide chew bones. She then puts them in a plastic bag in the freezer overnight. In the morning, the dog acts as though it's a brand new chew.

I haven't tried this yet, but it's one more idea to keep those expensive chew bones looking good to a dog that has lost interest. Just watch out for the carpet - this may be more of an outdoors treat.

Source: A store clerk.

By Holly from Richardson, TX

Kato wouldn't chew bones or rawhides but I needed to keep his teeth from tartar build-up. (He had to be anesthetized for the vet to clean his teeth, brushing them wasn't doing the trick) I tried putting peanut butter in the rawhide grooves. Voila! Now if I fail to put peanut butter on his rawhide, he brings it into the kitchen and drops it in front of the cupboard where the PB is stored! He nudges me and won't leave me alone until I put the PB on his rawhide bone.

Grandma Jan & Kato the Wonder Dog

Some CAUTIONS about rawhides - VERY IMPORTANT

#1 Never leave a dog unattended. They can choke to death on rawhide. Also too much can cause blockages.

#2 If giving them a rawhide outside, make sure you're with them because you don't want them to bury it, a buried rawhide later dug up can carry the BOTULISM toxin and kill your pet!

#3 Be sure your dog has plenty of water after chewing the rawhide.

Pets Dogs Dog ToysSeptember 9, 2008
Raccoon in park trash bin with plastic bag in its mouth.
Keeping Raccoons Out of the Trash
Petstages Chew Toys
Petstages Chew Toy Reviews
Puppy Chewing on Boot
Preventing Puppies From Chewing
Carving a Turkey
Using Your Turkey Bones for Soup
🎄