CatsPets

Cat is Peeing in the Sink

Why is my female cat peeing on the drains, the kitchen sinks, and on rugs?

By claire 26 from NSW

Ah, yes, the peeing cat.

We waited until our cat was 18 months old before we got off our lazy duff and got her spayed. She was an indoor cat so she never got pregnant, but she did go into heat a few times.

Her behavior was so outrageous we were embarrassed for her and ourselves and got her fixed. But by that time, she'd developed a bad habit. At the time there were 2 women living in our house, and 3 men, of which two were adolescent. She peed on their clothing everytime it was thrown on the floor, IF it had been worn.

Since being fixed, she only does the peeing, like if my one grandson has friends over and their smell is on things, like the sleeping bag, etc, or if he leaves something he's worn a lot, like his winter coat. AND, if I haven't changed her cat box fast enough when there are extra boys in the house or extra male clothes left around where she can pee on them.

So, my grandson had a friend over and I just washed the sleeping bag before she got to it this weekend, and I normally keep the shower mat off the floor where she can't squat on it or if she does pee, but they left it on the floor, and sure enough, I had to wash it.

I noticed she also will pee in anything resembling a cat box shape wise if her's isn't fresh enough[there are two cats and I suppose I could get a second one but right now our space is limited]; there are 2 guys and me now.She has peed in a magazine basket on top of the magazines, on top of our square tote if there is a used [male]towel on it. She doesn't pee on my stuff at all, which is why I'm pretty sure its testosterone that's the trigger. We have to keep somethings folded an up in such a way she'll slip and fall if she tries to climb on whatever it is. I also pack up stuff in plastic bags and hang from hooks in closet.

Another trigger for some cat's peeing, and also male dogs is plastic. Plastic [my dad was in plastics, manufacturing] basically contains chemicals which mimic female hormones. So if clothes which have been worn by male or female are in plastic bags, depending on sex of animal, you can get peeing.

She's not too bad anymore, but it's our negligence that usually pushes her over the edge.So, sweaty male clothing off the floor, and well managed cat box is what we do. Other than that, I don't know. I usually have to wash one thing a month

on average.

Your kitty may have a urinary infection. That is what my female kitty does when she had the last 2 infections. Cats don't usually go outside their litter boxes unless something is wrong. It isnt in their nature. Bring her to the vet asap. If you can it would be easiest if you can catch some of the urine in a small container when you see her going to the bathroom. Seal the container, put it inside a zip loc or something and refrigerate it. That way when you go to the vet they can just test the sample.

UTI! See a vet! It is very common for some reason for cats to do this when they are having problems. Get her to a vet before you start seeing blood in her urine.

Urine infection most likely or territorial stress but yeah, its most likely urine infection.