Crafts Using Aluminum (Tin) Cans

Aluminum (tin) cans can be recycled into fun and useful craft projects. This is a guide about crafts using aluminum (tin) cans.

November 20, 2007 Flag

These are wall pockets made from tin cans. These are the large sized cans that schools and such use.

Tops and bottoms are cut from the can, then I step on one end to flatten it together. The I drill 5 holes across the the bottom, through both layers and "sew" with light weight wire. Once that's done, it's time for the fun part. These I decoupaged with fabric and added some odd dangle pieces that I had in my craft room. Drilled 2 small holes on the top back for wire to hang them up by :0)

By Maggie from Bloomington, MN

WalMart here in the states sells off brand spray paint in many colors, one of which is clear :0) Works the same as a varnish would, but here it is only $1 a can :0)

Maggie in Bloomington, MN

These are very nice. I hadn't thought of decoupaging them. I'll have to give it a try. In the past I've either left them the way they are (too pretty to cover) or I have hand painted them, as well as adding beads and baubles off the bottom. The large popcorn tins with Christmas/Winter designs I have put silk flower arrangements in them and given them as gifts. They were very well received. The ones I have planted in, I have used a small disposable diaper (unused ... yes people have actually asked that question LOL) in the bottom to help hold the soil and moisture in. Otherwise they dry out really quickly.

Nice to see others using recyclables in there crafting projects!

Joyce

How cute!

July 14, 2010 Flag

This is a tuna can covered with a quilted fabric remnant and some left over cross-stitch mini squares, and a cardboard cloth covered lid.

Approximate Time: 60 minutes

Instructions:

Trace around the bottom of the tuna can, making a pattern for the lid. You'll cut one piece of cardboard that size for the lid and two pieces of cardboard for the bottom. Each piece for the bottom will hide the glued fabric edges to finish the project.

Cover the three cardboard pieces with tacky glue covered pre-quilted fabric. Make sure to cut your fabric large enough so it will cover one side of the cardboard. Carefully clip edges and fold down, gluing as you go. Hold with clothespins and allow to dry. Repeat for the inside cover for the bottom and the lid.

For the inside of the can, cut a piece of the pre-quilted fabric 5 inches wide and 12 inches long. This will be glued on to the side of the can and clipped slightly so you can glue part of it to the bottom to partially cover it. Don't worry, the inside cardboard piece will cover the clipped part when it's dry. Use clothes pins to keep it from sliding off the can.

When dry, glue the inside bottom piece in, then add the outside bottom piece to cover the bottom of the can to cover the clipped edges.

When dry, use tacky glue to add the tiny cross-stitched embellishments on the outside of the quilted fabric. Glue the small wooden bead to the lid and add to the tuna can.

I made several of these one year as last minute gifts. Instead of cross-stitched embellishments, you can add anything you might like to embellish it with.

By Monica from Cortez, CO

Wow how ingenious! It would work for other cans too. Thanks for sharing

Very Cute! You really took a lot of time and paid attention, so thanks for sharing!

August 14, 2007 Flag

These cute and inexpensive tin can decorations are perfect for a country themed wedding. Just clean ordinary tin cans and hot glue a square of styrofoam into the bottom, adding whatever silk flowers you choose. Wrap a length of ribbon of choice around the outside and hot glue overlapping ends, tie raffia around the lower part of can and make a bow with long tales. Take a length of ribbon and hot glue end to the back of one can and the other end to the back of the other can for your hanger.

By Robin from Clyattville, GA

SO CUTE!! MY MOM WILL LOVE THIS. EASY ENOUGH AND AFFORDABLE TO MAKE..

Now finally a decoration that is just my style. I'm going to make these. Thanks for sharing and adding a picture.

That is really sweet!

You can also use tin cans as little lanterns as well. Just punch a pattern on the outside of the can and then pop in a candle. Hang them off trees or place them on the ground. They'll light up your evening!

June 20, 2012 Flag

This big mouthed little frog is a great place to store your eyeglasses, iPod, or phone. It is a fun craft for kids to make or as a silly gift for a friend. He is sure to make you smile wherever he is.

Finished Tin Can Frog

July 16, 2008 Flag

One day I was looking at a large empty can of tomatoes that I was ready to throw in the recycling bin then for one reason or another I decided to paint it. This led to me making a hanging planter for a friend who I was giving a plant to from cuttings. Here's how to do it!

Recycled Hanging Planter

June 9, 2008 Flag

This is what I do with old cans. They make great gift "buckets".

Cans painted red, white, and blue.

August 11, 2012 Flag

Use extra large vegetable cans.Take the top and bottom off of all but one. Keep the can with the bottom on it on the bottom.

Large tin cans taped together to make an umbrella stand.

January 3, 2012 Flag

This is a handy item to use for spare change, car keys, misc. items.

finished project

August 17, 2012 Flag

We use lots of extra large sized tin cans of cheese and green beans. We put them in the refrigerator, and cover them with a margarine lid. I used them for many things around the house. I gave my daughter one to make a project, since she crafts with duct tape a lot.

Can covered with floral and bright pink and green duct tape.

August 24, 2010 Flag

Don't throw out those soup, vegetable, and fruit tin cans. You can use them to recycle into wonderful crafts.

You can make pencil holders. Just cover with fabric and ribbon with a hot glue gun.

Fill a clean can with water, and put it in freezer until it is frozen solid. Remove from freezer, and use a hammer and nail to tap holes through can to make patterns such as a heart, cross, etc. Make a hole on each side at top and thread a thin wire through to use as a handle. Melt ice, throw in a votive candle, and you have a instant illuminated candle holder. Great for porches or walk ways.

You can use the larger cans for the base of a wind sock. Just cover the can with ribbon using a hot glue gun. Make a handle by gluing a piece of ribbon on both sides. Next cut strips of ribbon off at same lengths. Glue these on the inside of can so they flow down. Hang from porch, and let the breeze do the rest!

By SinnerSavedByGrace from Shelbyville, IN

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Love your profile name and your ideas!

August 18, 2013 Flag

I am just about to start making some tin robots from assorted cans. But I am wondering how to remove the logo from the tin coffee cans.

By Bonnie H

I soak them in warm water and most of the label comes right off. After taking the label off, we sometimes run them through the dish washer.

July 16, 2004 Flag

Looking for directions on how to make animals about drinking cans.

Editor's Note: I am not sure if this poster is referring to aluminum cans or tin cans. Feel free to elaborate on this if this is your request.

I found some sites about tin can crafts, I am not sure if this is what you are looking for but it is interesting, nonetheless!

http://www.craftygal.com/archives/september/table0900.htm

August 24, 2010 Flag

I'm looking for patterns and instructions for tin can crafts. My mother use to make mini furniture out of tin cans, also people (like robots) and all sorts of things. Of course, as a kid, I didn't pay any attention on how she did it. I do know that she would cut the cans in strips and then curled them. They looked like wrought iron furniture. Please help. Thanks in advance.

Jodi from Yukon, OK

Answers:

Crafts using Tin Cans

Why don't you try Googling tin can crafts, and see what you come up with. If the words tin can crafts don't bring up any websites then try another phrase. (10/19/2007)

By MCW

Crafts using Tin Cans

I have made the mini furniture, my daughter still has some put away. To make them you need the "curlers". They are small tools like a screwdriver but are flat on the top with a slit down the middle. I packed mine up this summer along with a pattern book for my garage sale next spring. (10/19/2007)

By PICO

Crafts using Tin Cans

http://www.crafty-moms.com/tin-can-luminary.shtml

Go to the link above and check out the Tin Can Luminaries that I plan to make for Christmas gifts with full instructions.

Linda (10/19/2007)

By quickcooker

Crafts Using Tin Cans

Late in reading this email, but I made ALL Christmas ornaments for our tree from cans, cut with tin snips, twisted/curled with needle-nose pliars. I didn't know or have the "curlers" tool you described. Warning: BE CAREFUL because ALL edges are potential KNIFE EDGES and can cause BIG PAIN/DAMAGE. God bless and keep you. : ) (12/18/2007)

By Lynda

Crafts Recycled CraftsApril 22, 2012
Made from tin cans of various sizes.
Making a Recycled Tin Man
Muffin Tin Brownies
Muffin Tin Brownies
Fabric Can Lid Ornaments Finished
Tin Can Christmas Ornaments
Tin Can Frog
Tin Can Animal Crafts
🎉
🎄