Crafts Using Tin Cans

This is a guide about crafts using tin cans. Tin cans can be recycled into fun and useful craft projects.

Making a Tin Can Robot

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 1

This is a guide about making a tin can robot. This is a great recycle project for you and the kids to make together.

finished craft

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about making a red floral tin can teacher's gift. Fill a decorated recycled tin can with fresh or paper flowers as a special gift for a favorite teacher.

Made from tin cans of various sizes.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 3

This is a guide about making a recycled tin man. Recycle clean empty food cans into a delightful tin man for your home or garden.

Tin can lantern illuminated with a candle.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 2

This is a guide about making a tin punch lantern. You can easily turn an empty tin can into a beautiful lantern. Simply punch a pattern into its surface and place a candle inside to illuminate it.

Tin Can Lids

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This guide is about craft using tin can lids. A fun way to recycle is to make crafts using metal can lids.

Tin Can Frog Container

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Learn how to make this recycled tin can craft in this step by step tin can frog container guide.

Fabric Covered Tuna Can

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Reuse a clean tuna can for change or other small items. Decorate it with fabric for a simple or more elaborate container. This is a guide about making a fabric covered tuna can.

A pencil pot decorated with gems and buttons.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Use buttons and broken costume jewelry to decorate a pencil holder for your desk. This is a guide about making a button and jewel pencil holder.

Making a Candy Cane Planter

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about making a candy cane planter. Create this cute planter for the holidays and then eat it later.

Decorate Food Cans For Office/ or Craft Storage - can decorated with scrapbook paper and wide ribbon holding pencils and a note half on with a clip

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Recycled cans make good containers for pens and pencils and other office and craft supplies. This is a guide about decorated tin cans for office or craft storage.

finished pen holder

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

By decorating or painting a clean soup can you can make an attractive and useful pen holder for your office or craft area. This is a guide about recycled soup can pen holder.

Can with gift wrap and a bow.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about recycled tin can gift wrap. Repurpose your cans into great little gift containers.

These cute and inexpensive tin can decorations are perfect for a country themed wedding. Just clean ordinary tin cans and hot glue a square of styrofoam into the bottom, adding whatever silk flowers you choose. Wrap a length of ribbon of choice around the outside and hot glue overlapping ends, tie raffia around the lower part of can and make a bow with long tales. Take a length of ribbon and hot glue end to the back of one can and the other end to the back of the other can for your hanger.

By Robin from Clyattville, GA

That is really sweet!

You can also use tin cans as little lanterns as well. Just punch a pattern on the outside of the can and then pop in a candle. Hang them off trees or place them on the ground. They'll light up your evening!

One day I was looking at a large empty can of tomatoes that I was ready to throw in the recycling bin then for one reason or another I decided to paint it. This led to me making a hanging planter for a friend who I was giving a plant to from cuttings. Here's how to do it!

You'll need:

Instructions:

1. Clean out the can and remove the label. Sometimes there can be some of that glue left that is tough to get out, I use something called "Goo Be Gone", but someone told me rubbing alcohol has done the trick too though I haven't tried it.
  2. Dry the can and paint the outside, either just one colour or use one base colour and you can paint things like flowers, rainbows, and anything else you can think of on there. Make sure the base coat is about 3-4 coats if possible and dry can between each coat. It won't look perfect, but that's OK because it will be original! If you have varnish you can coat the can too.
  3. With a hammer and nail, poke three holes around the top ridge of the can, with each hole being the same distance apart as other holes or else the plant won't hang right.
  4. Cut three pieces of cord, all the same size (whatever length you choose).
  5. Tie one cord to each hole with a few knots so it's well secured.
  6. Bring the loose cords together and tie them together with a big knot. Then a bit higher close to the top, make another knot. Now you have a secured hole to hang the plant.
  7. Decorate with stickers, glitter, or anything else you have on hand.
  8. Put a nice small plant in there (make sure it is already in it's own container, the hanging planter is just for decoration.

This would be a great craft for kids/parents to do together!

By Lisa from Halifax, NS

I had some large cans that I wanted to use, filled with geraniums, for planters on my porch. I loved the original labels on the cans, so I just used a decopadge (sp?) glue to cover the labels and permenently seal them on the cans. Worked great and there was no need to even paint the cans, which worked well for me.

Large tin cans taped together to make an umbrella stand.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 1

Use extra large vegetable cans.Take the top and bottom off of all but one. Keep the can with the bottom on it on the bottom.

Cans painted red, white, and blue.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is what I do with old cans. They make great gift "buckets".

Can covered with floral and bright pink and green duct tape.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 1

We use lots of extra large sized tin cans of cheese and green beans. We put them in the refrigerator, and cover them with a margarine lid. I used them for many things around the house. I gave my daughter one to make a project, since she crafts with duct tape a lot.

Don't throw out those soup, vegetable, and fruit tin cans. You can use them to recycle into wonderful crafts.

You can make pencil holders. Just cover with fabric and ribbon with a hot glue gun.

Fill a clean can with water, and put it in freezer until it is frozen solid. Remove from freezer, and use a hammer and nail to tap holes through can to make patterns such as a heart, cross, etc. Make a hole on each side at top and thread a thin wire through to use as a handle. Melt ice, throw in a votive candle, and you have a instant illuminated candle holder. Great for porches or walk ways.

You can use the larger cans for the base of a wind sock. Just cover the can with ribbon using a hot glue gun. Make a handle by gluing a piece of ribbon on both sides. Next cut strips of ribbon off at same lengths. Glue these on the inside of can so they flow down. Hang from porch, and let the breeze do the rest!

By SinnerSavedByGrace from Shelbyville, IN

Answer Was this helpful? 2

Love your profile name and your ideas!

I am just about to start making some tin robots from assorted cans. But I am wondering how to remove the logo from the tin coffee cans.

By Bonnie H

I soak them in warm water and most of the label comes right off. After taking the label off, we sometimes run them through the dish washer.

I am going to use most of these for a bookshelf, but I would love to hear anyone else's ideas on how to use these as crafts. I have made a huge umbrella holder out of some of them, and now I have tons of them I am not using. I have them stacked as a pyramid against the porch railing, which is nice, but I would like to do craft work with them.

Thanks for any replies, I know you are all busy, as I am myself, lately!

By Robyn Fed from Tri-Cities, TN

Looking for directions on how to make animals about drinking cans.

Editor's Note: I am not sure if this poster is referring to aluminum cans or tin cans. Feel free to elaborate on this if this is your request.

I found some sites about tin can crafts, I am not sure if this is what you are looking for but it is interesting, nonetheless!

http://www.craf  er/table0900.htm

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

These are wall pockets made from tin cans. These are the large sized cans that schools and such use.

Tops and bottoms are cut from the can, then I step on one end to flatten it together. The I drill 5 holes across the the bottom, through both layers and "sew" with light weight wire. Once that's done, it's time for the fun part. These I decoupaged with fabric and added some odd dangle pieces that I had in my craft room. Drilled 2 small holes on the top back for wire to hang them up by :0)

By Maggie from Bloomington, MN

Comment Like this photo? 2

How cute!

Reply Like this photo? Yes

I'm looking for patterns and instructions for tin can crafts. My mother use to make mini furniture out of tin cans, also people (like robots) and all sorts of things. Of course, as a kid, I didn't pay any attention on how she did it. I do know that she would cut the cans in strips and then curled them. They looked like wrought iron furniture. Please help. Thanks in advance.

Jodi from Yukon, OK

Answers:

Crafts using Tin Cans

Why don't you try Googling tin can crafts, and see what you come up with. If the words tin can crafts don't bring up any websites then try another phrase. (10/19/2007)

By MCW

Crafts using Tin Cans

I have made the mini furniture, my daughter still has some put away. To make them you need the "curlers". They are small tools like a screwdriver but are flat on the top with a slit down the middle. I packed mine up this summer along with a pattern book for my garage sale next spring. (10/19/2007)

By PICO

Crafts using Tin Cans

http://www.crafty-moms.com/tin-can-luminary.shtml

Go to the link above and check out the Tin Can Luminaries that I plan to make for Christmas gifts with full instructions.

Linda (10/19/2007)

By quickcooker

Crafts Using Tin Cans

Late in reading this email, but I made ALL Christmas ornaments for our tree from cans, cut with tin snips, twisted/curled with needle-nose pliars. I didn't know or have the "curlers" tool you described. Warning: BE CAREFUL because ALL edges are potential KNIFE EDGES and can cause BIG PAIN/DAMAGE. God bless and keep you. : ) (12/18/2007)

By Lynda