Browsing: Using Peppermint Oil for Mice Control

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Using Peppermint Oil for Mice Control

There are a number of methods used to get rid of mice without the use of poison or traps. This is a guide about using peppermint oil for mice control.

Peppermint Oil
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

December 22, 2010 Flag

This is the time of year we get mice. We live back off the road and there are barns behind us so we get about 3 a year. My husband read in Mother Earth news, that you can make your mouse problem go away for good. Put peppermint oil on cotton balls and stick them in holes, under cabinets and any other area you fear a mouse might enter. People even took off parts of paneling and put them inside the walls. For some reason mice do not like the peppermint and are deterred. Sounds much better than finding them on those old nasty sticky mouse things that probably still has a live mouse on it or those ugly traps that just broke the little guys neck. Anyway, it is cheap and worth a try.

I have always heard aluminum foil will make them go away because when they step on it, they hear the noise it makes and will not enter.

If I grossed you out, I apologize.

Source: Mother Earth News

By Gem from VA

May 28, 2009 Flag

If the odor of peppermint oil is a repellent for mice, then wouldn't using an air freshener with peppermint fragrance do the same thing?

By Fairhope from Alabama, Gulf Coast

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have mice, I put peppermint oil out and yes, they did come out of their hiding spots, but I was ready with the bated sticky pads and raid mouse traps and I caught and killed 9 in one weekend. I put the peppermint oil (100% essential oil) in my mop water and clean the floors with it. Before I did this, some of the mice were so bold as to jump into my dogs food and take a piece while I was 5 feet away. Now. I'm not hearing them as much. When I did have to kill them I told them they shouldn't have been in my house in the first place. And I said I was sorry I had to kill them. Then I asked God to relocate them to the alley and away from my house. I have clutter. So I'm cleaning all that up too. Purge Purge Purge and out the mice-ies go.

I have been using peppermint oil for over three weeks and it did not work.

Read More Answers...

March 20, 2013 Flag

What else, other than peppermint oil, gets rid of mice?

By wonakee from MO

Naphthalene tablets can do the job

Vinegar works too.

Read More Answers...

September 20, 2013 Flag

Where would I find peppermint oil? I read a suggestion saying that peppermint oil is a good product to use in closing a travel trailer.

By Barbara from Plainville, MA

You can find peppermint oil in the pharmacy area of your local grocery store.

Doterra has amazing 100% peppermint oil that I use! Pretty much nothing likes the smell of peppermint not even spiders! I'd rather my house smell like a peppermint leaf than have all of these little pests bothering me. Not in my house! Lol

Read More Answers...

August 16, 2015 Flag

Will the use of mint oil work on the outside of the house where the mice seem to congregate? I have corners near the outside doors where droppings are all over the place. No problems with them coming in the house; the house is tight. But, what a mess in front of the doorways. If this works, what type of oil will do the job?

Thanks.

There's an old thread on peppermint oil for mouse control on this website at http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf703999.tip.html

September 22, 2014 Flag

What would be the correct amount of water to add to the peppermint oil to use in a spray bottle?

By Nancy

For best results - mix the solution at 50% each peppermint oil and water. See http://how-to-get-rid-of-mice.com/peppermint-oil/ for the exact recipe and tips for using peppermint sprays to repel mice.

Two teaspoons oil to one cup water. Spray once or twice per week.

September 10, 2013 Flag

Is there a way I can use peppermint to keep mice away? What is the best application for using peppermint?

By Marion H

Have you tried No Mouse in the House? It's a new product that houses the peppermint oil in a reservoir that dispenses the aroma through a wicking system and lasts up to six months or longer without any of the drying out issues noted here. The units are about the size of a golf ball. Check out the pic.

Where do I purchase this??

Read More Answers...

July 20, 2013 Flag

Will peppermint extract get rid of mice in the walls or will the peppermint oil only work?

Thank you.

By Kathy

Unfortunately, no it has to be peppermint oil, the smell of the peppermint extract just isn't strong enough.

I have used pepperment extract from the food department previous to using we heard mice running in the drop ceiling after using we no longer heard them in our house!!

January 7, 2011 Flag

Can you use peppermint extract to get rid of mice or does it have to be oil?

November 12, 2013 Flag

I was wondering, will pure peppermint extract with mint work as well to get rid of mice?

Load More
Home and Garden Pest Control MiceFebruary 8, 2013
Peppermint Bark
Peppermint Bark Recipes
Peppermint Oil
Making Peppermint Oil
Peppermint Oil
Buying Peppermint Oil
mouse in the kitchen
Getting Rid of Mice
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 23, 2016 at 9:25:18 AM on 10.0.0.182 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.