Using Peppermint Oil for Mice Control

There are a number of methods used to get rid of mice without the use of poison or traps. This is a guide about using peppermint oil for mice control.

December 22, 2010 Flag

This is the time of year we get mice. We live back off the road and there are barns behind us so we get about 3 a year. My husband read in Mother Earth news, that you can make your mouse problem go away for good. Put peppermint oil on cotton balls and stick them in holes, under cabinets and any other area you fear a mouse might enter. People even took off parts of paneling and put them inside the walls. For some reason mice do not like the peppermint and are deterred. Sounds much better than finding them on those old nasty sticky mouse things that probably still has a live mouse on it or those ugly traps that just broke the little guys neck. Anyway, it is cheap and worth a try.

I have always heard aluminum foil will make them go away because when they step on it, they hear the noise it makes and will not enter.

If I grossed you out, I apologize.

Source: Mother Earth News

By Gem from VA

I haven't heard of sticking peppermint balls in holes to make them go away. However, stuffing the holes with steel wool and sealant works. They cannot chew through the steel wool or if they try, it kills them. I refuse to use poison and have had wonderful luck with the steel wool trick.

Peppermint Oil works wonders for Mice. Extract peppermint oil will not work.

May 28, 2009 Flag

If the odor of peppermint oil is a repellent for mice, then wouldn't using an air freshener with peppermint fragrance do the same thing?

By Fairhope from Alabama, Gulf Coast

I have been using peppermint oil for over three weeks and it did not work.

It works, really. Please make sure you are using a pure peppermint essential oil and that you are using the right amount of it. I'd hate for you to pass up on this remedy. I used it on a clients home. I worked 7pm to 7am as a private caregiver and the clients home had mice bad. I use oils at home so I used it throughout her home on cotton balls, I bought her a $15 diffuser on amazon and started burning the oil and the client loved it. helped to clear to breathe better, was refreshing thru the entire home and the mice left within a few weeks. I just kept seeing less and less evidence that they were still around.

March 20, 2013 Flag

What else, other than peppermint oil, gets rid of mice?

By wonakee from MO

Vinegar works too.

What works as a repellent for mice?

September 20, 2013 Flag

Where would I find peppermint oil? I read a suggestion saying that peppermint oil is a good product to use in closing a travel trailer.

By Barbara from Plainville, MA

I'm a bit confused here tho! Peppermint EXTRACT is the one you can find on any baking section in any grocery store. Extracts are for flavoring. Like vanilla extract, Almond extract! They have nothing to do with essential oils!

Which are the ones you use to repel mice! Peppermint oil is very good to repel mice. Believe me! That's the only thing I use!

I had mice once and after that every beginning of winter I start spraying everywhere. I like to mix it with alcohol not water. Alcohol evaporates faster so there's no risk of walking in the kitchen and slipping on the wet floor!

You can find essential oils online. Amazon has good prices. Also in stores like whole foods or fairway market. They are always on the natural products section!

They are NOT for cooking so they won't be anywhere close to the baking section

You can find peppermint oil in the pharmacy area of your local grocery store.

August 16, 2015 Flag

Will the use of mint oil work on the outside of the house where the mice seem to congregate? I have corners near the outside doors where droppings are all over the place. No problems with them coming in the house; the house is tight. But, what a mess in front of the doorways. If this works, what type of oil will do the job?

Thanks.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

There's an old thread on peppermint oil for mouse control on this website at http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf703999.tip.html

September 22, 2014 Flag

What would be the correct amount of water to add to the peppermint oil to use in a spray bottle?

By Nancy

For best results - mix the solution at 50% each peppermint oil and water. See http://how-to-get-rid-of-mice.com/peppermint-oil/ for the exact recipe and tips for using peppermint sprays to repel mice.

Two teaspoons oil to one cup water. Spray once or twice per week.

September 10, 2013 Flag

Is there a way I can use peppermint to keep mice away? What is the best application for using peppermint?

By Marion H

Peppermint plants will keep them away, or you can buy peppermint oil and put it on a cotton ball placed around the house. I don't know if peppermint candy would work tho.

Have you tried No Mouse in the House? It's a new product that houses the peppermint oil in a reservoir that dispenses the aroma through a wicking system and lasts up to six months or longer without any of the drying out issues noted here. The units are about the size of a golf ball. Check out the pic.

July 20, 2013 Flag

Will peppermint extract get rid of mice in the walls or will the peppermint oil only work?

Thank you.

By Kathy

Unfortunately, no it has to be peppermint oil, the smell of the peppermint extract just isn't strong enough.

I have used pepperment extract from the food department previous to using we heard mice running in the drop ceiling after using we no longer heard them in our house!!

January 7, 2011 Flag

Can you use peppermint extract to get rid of mice or does it have to be oil?

By April from Seattle, WA

April, I've been petrified of mice all my life. I put the peppermint oil on cotton balls over 3 months ago in addition to the traps and it appears to work because no trap has been tripped and no signs of any mice. :)

I put peppermint oil in a spray bottle bought at the dollar store and spray it on counter tops, in cabinets, etc., and the mice stay away. If you don't have much oil you can mix water with the oil and shake it. it won't separate right away and you can make it last longer.

November 12, 2013 Flag

I was wondering, will pure peppermint extract with mint work as well to get rid of mice?

Load More
Home and Garden Pest Control MiceFebruary 8, 2013
Products
100% Pure Peppermint Essential Oil
Peppermint Bark
Peppermint Bark Recipes
Black mouse on brown burlap bag
Getting Rid of Mice Naturally
Peppermint Oil
Buying Peppermint Oil
mouse in the kitchen
Getting Rid of Mice
🎉
🎄