Browsing: Using Peppermint Oil for Mice Control

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Using Peppermint Oil for Mice Control

There are a number of methods used to get rid of mice without the use of poison or traps. This is a guide about using peppermint oil for mice control.

Peppermint Oil
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

December 22, 2010 Flag

This is the time of year we get mice. We live back off the road and there are barns behind us so we get about 3 a year. My husband read in Mother Earth news, that you can make your mouse problem go away for good. Put peppermint oil on cotton balls and stick them in holes, under cabinets and any other area you fear a mouse might enter. People even took off parts of paneling and put them inside the walls. For some reason mice do not like the peppermint and are deterred. Sounds much better than finding them on those old nasty sticky mouse things that probably still has a live mouse on it or those ugly traps that just broke the little guys neck. Anyway, it is cheap and worth a try.

I have always heard aluminum foil will make them go away because when they step on it, they hear the noise it makes and will not enter.

If I grossed you out, I apologize.

Source: Mother Earth News

By Gem from VA

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 28, 2009 Flag

If the odor of peppermint oil is a repellent for mice, then wouldn't using an air freshener with peppermint fragrance do the same thing?

By Fairhope from Alabama, Gulf Coast

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I found that my Yorkie (Zyon) does a great job in catching the mice and always alert us when a mice is in the area. You rock Zyon

I have mice, I put peppermint oil out and yes, they did come out of their hiding spots, but I was ready with the bated sticky pads and raid mouse traps and I caught and killed 9 in one weekend. I put the peppermint oil (100% essential oil) in my mop water and clean the floors with it. Before I did this, some of the mice were so bold as to jump into my dogs food and take a piece while I was 5 feet away. Now. I'm not hearing them as much. When I did have to kill them I told them they shouldn't have been in my house in the first place. And I said I was sorry I had to kill them. Then I asked God to relocate them to the alley and away from my house. I have clutter. So I'm cleaning all that up too. Purge Purge Purge and out the mice-ies go.

Read More Answers...

March 20, 2013 Flag

What else, other than peppermint oil, gets rid of mice?

By wonakee from MO

Naphthalene tablets can do the job

Vinegar works too.

Read More Answers...

August 16, 2015 Flag

Will the use of mint oil work on the outside of the house where the mice seem to congregate? I have corners near the outside doors where droppings are all over the place. No problems with them coming in the house; the house is tight. But, what a mess in front of the doorways. If this works, what type of oil will do the job?

Thanks.

There's an old thread on peppermint oil for mouse control on this website at http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf703999.tip.html

September 20, 2013 Flag

Where would I find peppermint oil? I read a suggestion saying that peppermint oil is a good product to use in closing a travel trailer.

By Barbara from Plainville, MA

Peppermint oil, not to be confused with peppermint extract, can be purchased at specialty cake & candy stores, maybe craft stores that sell cake & candy items, or online.

I'm a bit confused here tho! Peppermint EXTRACT is the one you can find on any baking section in any grocery store. Extracts are for flavoring. Like vanilla extract, Almond extract! They have nothing to do with essential oils!

Which are the ones you use to repel mice! Peppermint oil is very good to repel mice. Believe me! That's the only thing I use!

I had mice once and after that every beginning of winter I start spraying everywhere. I like to mix it with alcohol not water. Alcohol evaporates faster so there's no risk of walking in the kitchen and slipping on the wet floor!

You can find essential oils online. Amazon has good prices. Also in stores like whole foods or fairway market. They are always on the natural products section!

They are NOT for cooking so they won't be anywhere close to the baking section

Read More Answers...

September 10, 2013 Flag

Is there a way I can use peppermint to keep mice away? What is the best application for using peppermint?

By Marion H

Peppermint plants will keep them away, or you can buy peppermint oil and put it on a cotton ball placed around the house. I don't know if peppermint candy would work tho.

Have you tried No Mouse in the House? It's a new product that houses the peppermint oil in a reservoir that dispenses the aroma through a wicking system and lasts up to six months or longer without any of the drying out issues noted here. The units are about the size of a golf ball. Check out the pic.

September 22, 2014 Flag

What would be the correct amount of water to add to the peppermint oil to use in a spray bottle?

By Nancy

For best results - mix the solution at 50% each peppermint oil and water. See http://how-to-get-rid-of-mice.com/peppermint-oil/ for the exact recipe and tips for using peppermint sprays to repel mice.

November 12, 2013 Flag

I was wondering, will pure peppermint extract with mint work as well to get rid of mice?

By Paula E from British Columbia, Canada

Wasp spray kills mice.

July 20, 2013 Flag

Will peppermint extract get rid of mice in the walls or will the peppermint oil only work?

Thank you.

By Kathy

Unfortunately, no it has to be peppermint oil, the smell of the peppermint extract just isn't strong enough.

May 18, 2011 Flag

How does peppermint help get rid of mice and can I use peppermint soap in the hole?

By Margaret P

I don't know about the peppermint soap working but I have peppermint oil on cotton balls in my kitchen where my traps used to be and I've not had 1 visit since. I bought that spray insulation in a can and plugged up any places they could fit through like around the plumbing.

You have to find where the mice are entering the house from the outside and close those openings. Otherwise, the mice will just make runs through out the walls of the house and make nests inside the walls. An example, if the roof leaks you find a seal the leak on the outside. You don't seal the leak from the inside of the house. You might try some DeCon or mouse traps but they may return.

January 7, 2011 Flag

Can you use peppermint extract to get rid of mice or does it have to be oil?

By April from Seattle, WA

April, I've been petrified of mice all my life. I put the peppermint oil on cotton balls over 3 months ago in addition to the traps and it appears to work because no trap has been tripped and no signs of any mice. :)

I put peppermint oil in a spray bottle bought at the dollar store and spray it on counter tops, in cabinets, etc., and the mice stay away. If you don't have much oil you can mix water with the oil and shake it. it won't separate right away and you can make it last longer.

August 24, 2011 Flag

Do you have to dilute the peppermint oil for mice control before putting it down and how often did you have to change it and put fresh peppermint down?

By Annette W.

I trapped 6 mice in as many days (I live on a farm in the NE). Reading on the internet that peppermint OIL will repel mice, I bought some at my local GNC store. I put several drops on a cotton ball and placed them in the places I thought they may be able to come in. It has been a week and no mice!

I suggest you put a few all around your stove and in your stove drawer as every mouse I did catch, I caught in the drawer of the stove.

January 7, 2011 Flag

Is peppermint oil safe around dogs and cats when using it to keep mice away? Are there any other oils that work on mice and are they safe for pets?

By Candy from Masury, OH

Answers:

Get Rid of Mice Naturally With Peppermint Oil

Have a heart to heart talk with your cats. It is their job to keep the mice away. No peppermint oils should be necessary.
    Other posters say it is toxic to cats. I don't know. (09/29/2010)

By louel53

I don't think the peppermint oil is safe for animals. If they leave it alone, it probably wouldn't be a problem, but we had a cat that loved it more than catnip and would tear my purse up to get to my peppermint chewing gum and lip gloss. (10/02/2010)

By lyonpridej

For those that have said it is poisonous to cats. My sister is a vet. She checked all the professional resources and said it is not listed anywhere as being hazardous to cats. We have 3 of them. They do catch the mice, but I don't want to kill the little buggers. I just want them out of my house! We put the oil (from GNC $8) by our boiler where we found the droppings. No mice since. (12/17/2010)

By sillyirish708

December 22, 2010 Flag

If you want to get rid of mice or other rodents in your house, the use of peppermint oils is the best.

By babyboy70529 from Duson, LA

Answers:

Peppermint Oil for Mice Control

I have and still use peppermint oil to keep mice away. It does work. In fact, it makes them drunk! When I had birds, I happened to look in the cage and a mouse was in the cage with the birds. I doused the mouse with peppermint oil and it was, should I say, "out of it?" I was able to get rid of the mouse. However, I believe a strong dose of the oil may have affected one of the birds. A few days later it was dead. Every two weeks I spray my basement with peppermint oil. It's best to buy the large bottle. It lasts longer. (09/14/2010)

By Regijo

September 26, 2010 Flag

I have an "all natural" solution for getting rid of mice. No poison, traps, or sprays to harm your pets or children and it smells awesome.

June 22, 2010 Flag

I have mice in my attached garage. I ran out and purchased several little bottles of peppermint oil and saturated many cotton balls and put them all around.

Load More
    Home and Garden Pest Control MiceFebruary 8, 2013
    Peppermint Bark
    Peppermint Bark Recipes
    Peppermint Oil
    Making Peppermint Oil
    Peppermint Oil
    Buying Peppermint Oil
    mouse in the kitchen
    Getting Rid of Mice
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 21, 2016 at 8:42:54 AM on 10.0.0.242 in 945 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.