What Can I Feed a Goldfish Other Than Fish Food?

Category Fish
This is a guide about what can I feed a goldfish other than fish food? Regular goldfish food is best for a fish in a bowl or tank.

I need this answer ASAP. I just won a goldfish at a carnival today and I don't know what to feed it. Should I feed it today? I bought some Oreo cookies; my friend fed them to her goldfish for a long time and it was successful. I want to cut them up into very small pieces. Is it safe and can I? That is my main question. Thank you.

By lala002

Best Answer

You don't need to feed a goldfish anything but goldfish food. It is a goldfish. It will be perfectly healthy with just this. You shouldn't add anything else. I had fish for years and they were happy and healthy with just regular fish food.

Best Answer

In an emergency situation but not long term, we have fed ours plain bread. Crumble it up in very small pieces and don't overdo it! Short term emergency use only.

Best Answer

In addition to fish food, goldfish also like worms, peas and slices of zucchini. Only feed them as much as they can eat in five minutes. Then remove any other food.

You can probably find a small aquarium at a thrift shop. Change 1/3 of the water once a week and be sure to use a dechlorinator (at pet stores or the supermarket) in order to not injure the fish.

I have kept goldfish for years and used to have a goldfish pond. I had a lot of fish and would occasionally give them pieces of pancake (no syrup) but only as much as they would eat in five minutes.

Feeding them Oreos is in no way acceptable. You can leave the zucchini slices in the water as they will only be able to eat a little at a time. Also add a pinch of salt when you change the water. Good luck.

Lots of bread and crackers. Its works fine.

Don't feed it oreos because they need to eat soft things not hard things. I would feed it fish food flakes are the best.

Hey so today I went to the fair and won a fish and I don't have fish food at all so can you tell me what I can feed my fish and till tomorrow my mom said she will by them food and I'm really concerned if they can survive and what can I feed them while I don't have fish food

Please reply

I think u can feed them small prices of bread and a tiny ouch of crackers I may be wrong but I tried it with my little goldfish and I don't know if he will eat it.

I ran out of fish food, I bought goldfish like a year ago they were only $.13 but I bought them because they were going to be feds other fish and there is like 1 million of them and I have two little girls so whatever they were happy LOL anyway I just gave my fish little pieces like I try to take a roll which is bread and apple pieces off and made them a small as possible because they are still kind of small and they went crazy over it so that she can eat for days and they're not that picky but you don't want to feed them the wrong thing because they don't know they just eat, LOL. Good luck and bread was a good answer. Just don't overdo it

I don't know what to give a goldfish and we never had a pet at home and yesterday I won a goldfish in a carnival and we can't get fish food because i don't know where I can get it. Can I give him cheerios smushed in little pieces???

Please respond Thank you

thats not very helpful for some people.