What Can I Feed a Goldfish Other Than Fish Food?

I need this answer ASAP. I just won a goldfish at a carnival today and I don't know what to feed it. Should I feed it today? I bought some Oreo cookies; my friend fed them to her goldfish for a long time and it was successful. I want to cut them up into very small pieces. Is it safe and can I? That is my main question. Thank you.

By lala002

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

You don't need to feed a goldfish anything but goldfish food. It is a goldfish. It will be perfectly healthy with just this. You shouldn't add anything else. I had fish for years and they were happy and healthy with just regular fish food.

I agree. Feed it regular fish food, not Oreos! And you should probably wait to feed it until tomorrow, then pick a time of day that you'll be able to remember every day so that the goldfish always eats at the same time. And don't feed it too much! Follow the directions on the gold fish food container. Enjoy your new pet!

In an emergency situation but not long term, we have fed ours plain bread. Crumble it up in very small pieces and don't overdo it! Short term emergency use only.

In addition to fish food, goldfish also like worms, peas and slices of zucchini. Only feed them/it as much as they/it can eat in five minutes. Then remove any other food. You can probably find a small aquarium at a thrift shop. Change 1/3 of the water once a week and be sureto use a dechlorinator (at pet stores or the supermarket) in order to not injure the fish. I have kept goldfish for years and used to have a goldfish pond. I had a lot of fish and would occasionally give them pieces of pancake (no syrup) but only as much as they would eat in five minutes.

Feeding them Oreos is in no way acceptable. You can leave the zucchini slices in the water as they will only be able to eat a little at a time. Also add a pinch of salt when you change the water. Good luck.

Lots of bread and crackers. Its works fine.

Don't feed it oreos because they need to eat soft things not hard things. I would feed it fish food flakes are the best.

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

Pets FishFebruary 6, 2011
Goldfish
Caring For Goldfish
Fish Buying Tips
Fish Buying Tips
Pop bottle fish with colorful streamers for its tail.
Making Pop Bottle Fish
Frying Fish Sticks
Homemade Fish Stick Recipes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 20, 2016 at 9:05:27 AM on 10.0.0.240 in 623 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.