What Can I Feed a Goldfish Other Than Fish Food?

Category Fish
A tank of bright orange goldfish.
This is a guide about what can I feed a goldfish other than fish food? Regular goldfish food is best for a fish in a bowl or tank.

I need this answer ASAP. I just won a goldfish at a carnival today and I don't know what to feed it. Should I feed it today? I bought some Oreo cookies; my friend fed them to her goldfish for a long time and it was successful. I want to cut them up into very small pieces. Is it safe and can I? That is my main question. Thank you.

By lala002

Answers

Best Answer

You don't need to feed a goldfish anything but goldfish food. It is a goldfish. It will be perfectly healthy with just this. You shouldn't add anything else. I had fish for years and they were happy and healthy with just regular fish food.

Best Answer

In an emergency situation but not long term, we have fed ours plain bread. Crumble it up in very small pieces and don't overdo it! Short term emergency use only.

Best Answer

In addition to fish food, goldfish also like worms, peas and slices of zucchini. Only feed them as much as they can eat in five minutes. Then remove any other food.

You can probably find a small aquarium at a thrift shop. Change 1/3 of the water once a week and be sure to use a dechlorinator (at pet stores or the supermarket) in order to not injure the fish.

I have kept goldfish for years and used to have a goldfish pond. I had a lot of fish and would occasionally give them pieces of pancake (no syrup) but only as much as they would eat in five minutes.

Feeding them Oreos is in no way acceptable. You can leave the zucchini slices in the water as they will only be able to eat a little at a time. Also add a pinch of salt when you change the water. Good luck.

I agree. Feed it regular fish food, not Oreos! And you should probably wait to feed it until tomorrow, then pick a time of day that you'll be able to remember every day so that the goldfish always eats at the same time. And don't feed it too much! Follow the directions on the gold fish food container. Enjoy your new pet!