Crispy Mashed Potato Cakes

Times like this when food prices are rising I am so glad for the simple and thrifty dishes my mother and grandmother taught me. One that I always loved and decided to put a new twist on is leftover mashed potato cakes.

For some reason it popped into my mind in the shower, "I bet if you dip potato patties in instant potato flakes it would make a crispy, almost potato chip coating." And it worked! Here is my recipe (actually a non recipe recipe, as this is usually just thrown together)

Ingredients

• Leftover mashed potatoes (about 3 cups, of course you can use prepared instant if you want)
  • 1-2 eggs
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • flour
  • shredded cheese, optional, traditionally not used, but GOOD
  • Instant Potato Flakes about 1 1/2 cups
  • Oil for frying (I use Olive, but canola, etc is fine)

Directions

Place enough oil to cover the bottom of a large skillet and heat up on medium heat. Mix potatoes, egg(s), salt and pepper. Stir in cheese, if desired. Add enough flour until you can form into patties about the size of small hamburgers.

Now here's the part that takes them over the top - pour instant potato flakes onto wax paper and press each side of each potato patty into the flakes.

Once oil is ready (It should sizzle when a drop of water is dropped in oil), gently place patties in skillet. Make sure not to crowd, (you will need to do 2 batches.) Fry until crisp and golden brown on each side and place on paper towel to drain. Makes about 24.

My kids love these! And it is a great way to use up leftover potatoes!

Enjoy friends!

By Carol from Landisville, PA

I was raised on mashed potato cakes. After the big Thanksgiving dinner, my mother always made these cakes, for our supper, with the leftover mashed potatoes. When I was a new bride, 41yrs. ago, I tried to make them and they were all over the skillet, but I have learned to make them. We always pat flour on both sides before putting them in the skillet with melted butter. Dipping them in the potato flakes really sounds good.

I forgot to say that I am, also, from Pennsylvania. My mother always said that these mashed potato cakes were Pennsylvania Dutch.

This sounds really good! I love potato cakes, but they sound extra yummy with the cheese and potato flake crispy coating! I am going to give them a try real soon! Thanks for the idea!

Potato Cakes
Potato Cake Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes PotatoesJune 16, 2008
Mashed potatoes with vegetables.
Vegetable Mashed Potato Recipes
Mashed potatoes with melting butter on top.
Fixing Runny Mashed Potatoes
Mashed potatoes with bacon and cheese.
Twice Baked Mashed Potato Recipes
Dish of mashed potatoes.
Freezing Mashed Potatoes
🎉
🎄