Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Making a Chair Planter

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Recycled wooden chair planter.

Recycling and old chair into a creative planter provides you with a unique, creative garden planter. Not only is this project a good way to recycle, but also a crafty outlet for your combined gardening and craft skills. This is a guide about making a chair planter.

Solutions: Making a Chair Planter

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Doll High Chair for a Plant Stand

I had a baby doll high chair that wasn't being used. I put a plant in it, and it makes a good plant stand. It is so cute!

By Robyn Fed from Hampton, TN

Craft Project: Chair Planter

Planter Chair FinishedUse an old recycled chair from the junk to make into a planter for flowers to set in the garden.

Approximate Time: 1 1/2 hours.

• chair
  • 4 screws
  • saw
  • paint
  • screwdriver
  • pot with flowers

Instructions:

Get an old chair to use. Take the seat off and use as a pattern to cut one out of hard wood to withstand the weather.

Before planting flowers in the pot, turn it upside down and center in the middle of the new cut out seat. Draw around the pot. Now draw another line about 1/2 inches inside that hole. This will be your cutting line. If you use the first one your pot will fall through. It needs to be a bit smaller then the top of the pot. A roto zip tool or jig saw works nice.

Paint the chair and seat. You may want to paint or spray it with polyurethane to protect it. You may want to keep your chair old and rustic and not paint it at all. Screw the seat on after it dries.

Plant the flowers in the pot and place the pot in the hole. I used a hanging flower pot I got for Mother's Day but removed the hangers.

All ready to set in the garden and look at when you are out there working hard. It'll make your work seem more worthwhile.

By Little Suzy from Millbury, Oh Chair Planter Top

Tip: Use A Chair With A Missing Seat For A Planter

I have found that the kind of chairs with the seat missing are ideal for this. They are usually found that way in bentwood chairs because the seat is round. I just bought two at an auction for $2 and gave one to my daughter-in- law. A baby high chair that is wooden also makes a great chair planter. I picked one of those up that someone was throwing away.

By Elaine S. from Near Cedar Rapids, IA

Recycled Chair Planters

Chair planter

Materials:

• 1 old cane back chair
  • chicken wire
  • burlap preform or hanging burlap basket
  • moss
  • potting soil if needed
  • plants

Instructions:

Once these old chairs have the seats go bad on them, unless you can refurbish them, they're usually pretty worthless. I found a great way to salvage them as well as come up with new planters.

1. Take and webbing left in the seat area and strip it all out.
  2. Cut an ample square of chicken wire to fit down into the seat area and form a square or round type of planter to hold your plants.
  3. Roll the chicken wire over the seat frame area and twist the ends of the chicken wire to hold it firmly in place.
  4. Take your moss and line the planter area that you've formed in the seat. I go a little heavier on the sides to prevent losing it when watering.
  5. Take the burlap and fit it into your seat area, fill in extra moss around the edges, you want to have a stable planting area.
  6. Fill with plants to your heart's desire. I like to take either ivy's or taller plants on the back side, they entwine themselves around the chair frame as they grow. Looks great on your front porch and adds a little variety from your regular pots.
  7. You can also pre-paint or refinish the chair to your liking before turning it into a planter. White with stencil backing or ivy painted on the framework looks great too!
  8. By Nelda from Dallas, TX

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Photos

Below are photos related to this guide.

Chair Planter

This is an wooden chair that seen it's last days, so I decided to make a planter out of it by boxing in the seat part of the chair with some scrap wood then filled it with soil and plants.

By Sharon from Modesto, Ca

White chair turned into a planter with flowers in it.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Make a Pretty Chair Planter

By Colleen Moulding

From junk shop chair to garden feature!

First you need an old dining chair with a push out seat as this is where the flowers will be growing. If you haven't got one lying around in a garage or shed, ask around friends and family or offer a couple of dollars/pounds for one in a junk shop, charity shop or thrift store.

If you want to paint the chair this is best done first, although a chair showing signs of age looks very good for this project too.

You can get a very nice effect by painting your chair
with one colour, leaving it to dry completely, and then applying another different colour all over. When this second coat is completely dry, lightly sand off the second coat in the places that would naturally have received the most wear and the first colour will show through giving a very pretty distressed look.

When you have your chair frame looking the way you like it, fix a double layer of chicken wire where the seat used to be, in a bowl shape. A heavy duty staple gun is ideal for this job.

Next line the chicken wire with a good layer of pre soaked sphagnum moss as this will be needed to stop the soil falling through the wire.

When you have a good layer of moss in place, sit a plant pot saucer or small shallow dish on top of it, just to retain a little of the water and stop it dripping through quite so much. Then fill your moss lined chicken wire with soil or compost and add your plants.

Pansies look very good in these chairs, as does a cushion of busy lizzies. Climbing plants such as sweet peas will wrap their tendrils around the chair back giving another dimension to the display and a couple of variegated ivies or other trailing plants would look splendid curling down the legs.

About The Author: Colleen Moulding is a freelance writer from England where she has had many features on parenting, childcare, travel, the Internet and many more subjects published in national magazines and newspapers.
http://www.allthatwomenwant.com

RE: Make a Pretty Chair Planter

You did an excellent job of giving directions on how to make a garden chair. Although I have seen them before I didn't have a clue how they were put together. A big round of applause to you! This is a project I just may try in the near future! Thanx! (05/02/2009)

By suzyspinkmoon

RE: Make a Pretty Chair Planter

You explained how to do this so clearly. It is a perfect project for me. I know I have 2 chairs for the job and plenty of peat moss, and marigold seeds, and many colors of paint. Thanks! (05/02/2009)

By nancyboston