Homemade Air Fresheners

Make homemade air fresheners to help mask or neutralize household odors. This page contains recipes for homemade air fresheners.

October 5, 2009 Flag

Winter is coming and with that the windows and doors will be closed up tight and odors trapped inside. Here are some ideas to sweeten the smell of your home without harmful chemicals:

Source: Things I've learned and done over the years.

By Deeli from Richland, WA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Top Comment

When mixing your spray bottle of air fresheners made with essential oils and water, if you add just a little bit of either rubbing alcohol or witch hazel it will assist with the blending and give you a more consistent strength for the life of the bottle. I personally use the 70% rubbing alcohol for this since I like to save my witch hazel for getting rid of bruises and tightening my skin everywhere. I also decided on the 70% because the 91% just had too much of the alcohol smell to it. I have seen many posts using vodka, but since I don't drink vodka it's not something I have on hand and not worth a special trip to go pick up when I have the rubbing alcohol on hand always

January 26, 2017 Flag

Recycled Candle Wax Air Freshener - Air fresheners hanging from shower curtain rings.

CommentPin It!Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Make a pretty air freshener using leftover scented candle wax. It can be cut into fun shapes using a cookie cutter. This is a guide about recycled candle wax air freshener.

August 17, 2011 Flag

If you take a potpourri pot or a small jar and fill it with packing peanuts, then spray your favorite perfume on it, it will hold the scent and keep the room fresh. You can also use potpourri spray for this.

By Robyn F. from TN

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

What a great idea! I hate getting fast food drinks in styrofoam just because I know they will be with us forever, so this would be something I could do to use those cups up. Way to go!

January 19, 2017 Flag

Natural Air Freshener - completed jar

Keep your home smelling fresh with a non-toxic natural air freshener using a jar. Learn how to make this homemade jar air freshener in this guide.

January 18, 2017 Flag

Green Electric Slow Cooker on a white background.

This is a guide about use your slow cooker as an air freshener. A mixture of water, baking soda, and a pleasant scent such a cinnamon can be simmered in your slow cooker to freshen the air in your home.

January 18, 2017 Flag

A bottle of essential oils, commonly used to make homemade air fresheners.

This is a guide about make your own air fresheners. You can save money and control the ingredients in your air freshener by making your own.

December 18, 2014 Flag

Perfume Insert as Bathroom Air Freshener

Put a perfume sample from a magazine inside your toilet paper roll before you put the toilet paper on the roller. Every time you roll off, you will have a nice smell.

August 4, 2016 Flag

Mason Jar Air Freshener

This is a guide about Mason jar air freshener. An inexpensive room deodorizer can easily be made in an attractive canning jar.

May 25, 2010 Flag

I was always uncomfortable using the bathroom fresheners knowing that they are chemical. I take a laundry spray bottle, fill it with water and about 20 drops of essential oil which I buy in the health food store.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 30, 2011 Flag

Whenever I want to freshen the air in my home I don't like to use anything that smells like any type of food or spice. Smelling foods or spices in the air turns on my hunger pangs! So I use nature smells.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 6, 2011 Flag

Recently I wanted to freshen up my home and had no air freshener on hand. Instead I took a small pot and placed some water in it, added a few drops of vanilla and some ground ginger.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 7, 2005 Flag

In the winter months the air inside our homes becomes very polluted. Putting vinegar in water and setting it on a woodburning stove puts vinegar in the air to kill bacteria floating in the air. By Jill

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 8, 2008 Flag

When someone is coming over to my home and I don't have time to air it out and I don't want that obvious smell of an air freshener spray, I just sprinkle a tiny dash of cinnamon on to my electric burner.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 31, 2016 Flag

Plugged in air freshener

This is a guide about can you refill plug-in air fresheners?. You may be able to refill plug-in fresheners with your favorite scents.

March 16, 2011 Flag

I had several bottles of body splash and cologne that I didn't care for (gifts from well meaning friends). Instead of throwing them out, I use them as bathroom air freshener and stinky shoe deodorizer.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 12, 2012 Flag

After carving your pumpkins, sprinkle some cinnamon inside the pumpkin then light your candle. Your house will smell like you're baking!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 25, 2015 Flag

Extend Solid Air Freshener

You can extend those Renuzit or Air Wick solid air fresheners by placing the scented part in a potpourri pot. I just add both the water and the chunk into a potpourri pot that plugs in. It extends the pretty smell in the house!

June 3, 2010 Flag

I love to use a little cinnamon in water boiling on the stove to make my house smell a little homey. Sometimes when someone calls for a unexpected visit to make my house smell like cookies are baking, I just put cinnamon in a pot with water and put it on the stove to boil.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 13, 2007 Flag

One of the best room fresheners I have used is lemon essential oil. I bought a small bottle for under $5 at the health food store. It seems pricey but a very little bit goes a long way.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 5, 2004 Flag

To freshen the air in your kitchen, especially after cooking fish or cabbage, place a whole, unpeeled lemon in a 300 degree F oven for about 15 minutes, leaving the door slightly open.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 5, 2008 Flag

Use a wash cloth and roll it in a roll. Sew side together and cut out fire flame and attach to the top with straight pins.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 22, 2014 Flag

flip flop air freshener

This is a guide about materials for making car air fresheners. If you are looking for an alternative to the ubiquitous pine tree air freshener of old, try making your own.

April 14, 2008 Flag

Heat 1 cup of water with 1/2 cup of liquid potpourri add 2 packages of gelatin. Heat until boil stirring constantly. Take away from heat and add the other 1/2 cup of potpourri.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 27, 2007 Flag

In a small bowl, combine corn meal or flour, salt, and essential oil. Mix well and add boiling water. Add drops of any food coloring and mix well. When mixture has cooled enough to handle, roll mixture into 2-3 inch balls.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 22, 2011 Flag

When you car auto freshener goes dead, revive it by putting a few drops of concentrated candy flavoring oil onto the freshener pad. Since it is the holiday season, I just put a couple of drops of peppermint oil on one today, and cinnamon oil on one in another vehicle.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 29, 2004 Flag

Freshen your air for pennies and in a more natural way!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 20, 2004 Flag

The cheapest way to remove odors from a room is to place cups of white vinegar in the room. It works 24/7 and all you have to do is refill when it evaporates. I use old candle jars that have been used up so that it does not interfere with the decor of each room.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 26, 2005 Flag

Mix ingredients gently in a large glass jar. Cover with lid and store for six weeks until salt is well seasoned.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 29, 2013 Flag

I have used so many different carpet/room deodorizers in canisters, shake ons, etc. to rid carpets, furniture, and floors, that the smell. It is just about overwhelming and I can't figure out how to get back to basic clean smell. It is getting worse and worse, hot weather with windows open, still bad. Please help. I need to deodorize and get a clean smell.

By PAT s.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Years ago I rented an apartment with a carpeted laundry room. The people who lived there used that room for their dog that was not housebroken. Yuck! After renting a shampooer (twice) and using several patented rug deodorizers, I finally heavily spritzed the carpet with white vinegar. Two applications later and all was finally well.

Load More
Make Your Own Air Fresheners
Home and Garden Cleaning Cleaning Supply Recipes Air FreshenersSeptember 19, 2011
Plugged in air freshener
Can You Refill Plug-in Air Fresheners?
flip flop air freshener
Making Car Air Fresheners
Natural Air Freshener - completed jar
Natural Jar Air Freshener
Use Your Slow Cooker as an Air Freshener
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 18, 2017 at 9:15:26 PM on 10.0.2.152 in 6 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.