Homemade Air Fresheners

Make homemade air fresheners to help mask or neutralize household odors. This page contains recipes for homemade air fresheners.

Winter is coming and with that the windows and doors will be closed up tight and odors trapped inside. Here are some ideas to sweeten the smell of your home without harmful chemicals:

Source: Things I've learned and done over the years.

By Deeli from Richland, WA

Top Comment

When mixing your spray bottle of air fresheners made with essential oils and water, if you add just a little bit of either rubbing alcohol or witch hazel it will assist with the blending and give you a more consistent strength for the life of the bottle. I personally use the 70% rubbing alcohol for this since I like to save my witch hazel for getting rid of bruises and tightening my skin everywhere. I also decided on the 70% because the 91% just had too much of the alcohol smell to it. I have seen many posts using vodka, but since I don't drink vodka it's not something I have on hand and not worth a special trip to go pick up when I have the rubbing alcohol on hand always

If you want a room to smell super duper fresh but don't want a big ugly air freshener hanging from your wall, just add a few drops of an essential oil into the bottom of a bottle or jar around your house.

Mason Jar Air Freshener

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 3

An inexpensive room deodorizer can easily be made in an attractive canning jar. This is a guide about Mason jar air freshener.

If you take a potpourri pot or a small jar and fill it with packing peanuts, then spray your favorite perfume on it, it will hold the scent and keep the room fresh. You can also use potpourri spray for this.

By Robyn F. from TN

What a great idea! I hate getting fast food drinks in styrofoam just because I know they will be with us forever, so this would be something I could do to use those cups up. Way to go!

I was always uncomfortable using the bathroom fresheners knowing that they are chemical. I take a laundry spray bottle, fill it with water and about 20 drops of essential oil which I buy in the health food store.

Recently I wanted to freshen up my home and had no air freshener on hand. Instead I took a small pot and placed some water in it, added a few drops of vanilla and some ground ginger.

Whenever I want to freshen the air in my home I don't like to use anything that smells like any type of food or spice. Smelling foods or spices in the air turns on my hunger pangs! So I use nature smells.

After carving your pumpkins, sprinkle some cinnamon inside the pumpkin then light your candle. Your house will smell like you're baking!

In the winter months the air inside our homes becomes very polluted. Putting vinegar in water and setting it on a woodburning stove puts vinegar in the air to kill bacteria floating in the air. By Jill

Plugged in air freshener

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 1

This is a guide about can you refill plug-in air fresheners?. You may be able to refill plug-in fresheners with your favorite scents.

I had several bottles of body splash and cologne that I didn't care for (gifts from well meaning friends). Instead of throwing them out, I use them as bathroom air freshener and stinky shoe deodorizer.

When someone is coming over to my home and I don't have time to air it out and I don't want that obvious smell of an air freshener spray, I just sprinkle a tiny dash of cinnamon on to my electric burner.

Extend Solid Air Freshener

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 3

You can extend those Renuzit or Air Wick solid air fresheners by placing the scented part in a potpourri pot. I just add both the water and the chunk into a potpourri pot that plugs in. It extends the pretty smell in the house!

Recycled Candle Wax Air Freshener - Air fresheners hanging from shower curtain rings.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Make a pretty air freshener using leftover scented candle wax. It can be cut into fun shapes using a cookie cutter. This is a guide about recycled candle wax air freshener.

Natural Air Freshener - completed jar

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Keep your home smelling fresh with a non-toxic natural air freshener using a jar. Learn how to make this homemade jar air freshener in this guide.

Green Electric Slow Cooker on a white background.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about use your slow cooker as an air freshener. A mixture of water, baking soda, and a pleasant scent such a cinnamon can be simmered in your slow cooker to freshen the air in your home.

A bottle of essential oils, commonly used to make homemade air fresheners.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about make your own air fresheners. You can save money and control the ingredients in your air freshener by making your own.

I love to use a little cinnamon in water boiling on the stove to make my house smell a little homey. Sometimes when someone calls for a unexpected visit to make my house smell like cookies are baking, I just put cinnamon in a pot with water and put it on the stove to boil.

One of the best room fresheners I have used is lemon essential oil. I bought a small bottle for under $5 at the health food store. It seems pricey but a very little bit goes a long way.

To freshen the air in your kitchen, especially after cooking fish or cabbage, place a whole, unpeeled lemon in a 300 degree F oven for about 15 minutes, leaving the door slightly open.

Use a wash cloth and roll it in a roll. Sew side together and cut out fire flame and attach to the top with straight pins.

flip flop air freshener

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about materials for making car air fresheners. If you are looking for an alternative to the ubiquitous pine tree air freshener of old, try making your own.

If you want to freshen the air, just simmer a dozen or so sticks of cinnamon or some cloves in 2 cups of water in an uncovered saucepan on your stove!

Freshen your air for pennies and in a more natural way!

The cheapest way to remove odors from a room is to place cups of white vinegar in the room. It works 24/7 and all you have to do is refill when it evaporates. I use old candle jars that have been used up so that it does not interfere with the decor of each room.

Heat 1 cup of water with 1/2 cup of liquid potpourri add 2 packages of gelatin. Heat until boil stirring constantly. Take away from heat and add the other 1/2 cup of potpourri.

In a small bowl, combine corn meal or flour, salt, and essential oil. Mix well and add boiling water. Add drops of any food coloring and mix well. When mixture has cooled enough to handle, roll mixture into 2-3 inch balls.

When you car auto freshener goes dead, revive it by putting a few drops of concentrated candy flavoring oil onto the freshener pad. Since it is the holiday season, I just put a couple of drops of peppermint oil on one today, and cinnamon oil on one in another vehicle.

Mix ingredients gently in a large glass jar. Cover with lid and store for six weeks until salt is well seasoned.

Is it safe to use Avon Skin So Soft bath oil instead of essential oils in a small crockpot intended for use as an air freshener? If so, what "recipe" would you use?
Thanks for your help!

I would use it in a candle warmer. There are smaller crock pots but they are safer when used for just food. You can usually find the candle warmers in thrift stores everywhere.

I have used so many different carpet/room deodorizers in canisters, shake ons, etc. to rid carpets, furniture, and floors, that the smell. It is just about overwhelming and I can't figure out how to get back to basic clean smell. It is getting worse and worse, hot weather with windows open, still bad. Please help. I need to deodorize and get a clean smell.

By PAT s.

Years ago I rented an apartment with a carpeted laundry room. The people who lived there used that room for their dog that was not housebroken. Yuck! After renting a shampooer (twice) and using several patented rug deodorizers, I finally heavily spritzed the carpet with white vinegar. Two applications later and all was finally well.

I am trying to find an air freshener recipe to make that smells like baby powder. Does anyone know of one?

By Ellen D.

Anonymous

I've used assorted fragrant lotions to make spray air freshener (that I also sometimes use as a body spray) and it's really easy. :-)

Be sure to use at least an 8 ounce bottle because you'll need the extra space for the lotion to blend with the water without any lumps. Place 1 ounce of lotion with 5 ounces of distilled water in a clean spray bottle and shake vigorously. If after mixing you want a bit stonger scent just add another 1/2 ounce or so of lotion and shake vigorously again.

My choice for the baby powder scent would be the good old fashioned wonderful smelling Johnson & Johnson Baby Lotion - Yum! As a matter of fact I have some on hand and you've prompted me to now use it for the next bottle of spray ;-)

I am looking for suggestions for homemade air fresheners.

By Bob M. from Ogunquit, ME

Anonymous

I submitted this as a tip a little while ago but I don't think it's been posted yet and there's lots of good, natural ideas. Hope it's helpful to you :-)

Natural Home Sweeteners

Winter is coming and with that the windows and doors will be closed up tight and odors trapped inside. Here are some ideas to sweeten the smell of your home without harmful chemicals.

Place a small sprinkling of ground cinnamon or ground clove on an electric stove burner and turn on the heat to the very lowest setting possible.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Use a small piece of tinfoil, turn up the edges and pour a teaspoon of vanilla on top and place the foil in the oven. Turn off oven and prop the door open a bit.

Place 1 to 2 teaspoons vanilla or vanilla extract in small cups or bowls around the home.

Mix small amounts of lemon juice or vinegar and baking soda together and place in small cups or bowls around the home.

To abolish cooking odors simmer 1 tablespoon vinegar with one cup of water in a small pan.

Simmer your favorite spices, citrus rinds or fresh pine needles in a small pan of water on the stove. Experiment by mixing and matching. Also, instead of throwing out stale dated apple, cranberry or orange juice, just simmer in a small pan on the stove. Be sure to set a timer to remind you that it's time to add more water!

In a spray bottle, add several drops of your favorite essential oil to water. Shake to mix and mist the air.

Add a few drops of your favorite essential oil to a cotton ball and place around the home.

Place a couple of drops of your favorite essential oil on a light bulb. Be sure to only do this on a bulb that is turned of and is cool! Once you turn on the light on the heat from the bulb will slowly release the essential oil in the air.

Place a couple of drops of your favorite essential oil inside your cardboard toilet paper roll and the scent will be released every time someone removes toilet paper. Place springs of fresh eucalyptus around your home. And don't forget fresh flowers ;-)

I have your recipe for gel air freshener. Now I need your recipe for aromatic room fresheners, made with alcohol (vodka for one).

Thank you,
Mary from Sicklerville, NJ

I usually make the homemade fabreeze and spray around the house. In a spray bottle mix 1 cup frabric softener 1 cup of rubbing alcohol and then fill bottle with water and spray around the house. It smells great and you can use the fabric softener that you like best!

We recently took a cruise on Halong Bay in Vietnam. Our cabin smelled of fresh grated ginger every time we walked in. I'd like to be able to duplicate that wonderful fresh smell at home. Any ideas?

By Kathy S.

Does anyone know how to make something similar to the "AirWick" type of air freshener?

Bev from Grand Rapids, MN

I have used essential oils as air freshners before. Just put a few drops on a coffee filter or a paper towel (coffee filter works best because it sits up like a "tent") and put wherever you want nice smells!

How long can we use homemade room freshener?

By Nishan

I used to buy Nilodor to eliminate many smells. It worked on cigarette smoke. It is hard to find now, and I wonder if there are any recipes to make a like product by hand.

By Linda L.

I am looking for the recipe to make the car air fresheners, that are shaped like a foot and they are on a string they look like gel but they are harder but flexable. It is not the knox gelatin recipe. I can't seem to find these anywhere on the web. Can someone please help me.

Thanks
Linda from Danville

I have seen them at Walmart in the automotive section. Good luck!!!

If you have any cooking odors or just want your house to smell nice, place two tablespoons of ground cinnamon into a saucepan, add two cups of water and boil. Make sure water doesn't evaporate so have to keep an eye on it. It leaves a wonderful aroma through the house, fresh baked apple pie type aroma.

Source: Can't remember exactly where I received this tip, but have been using it for years.

By Lisa from Patton

Answers:

Heated Cinnamon and Water for Room Freshener

I like to do this for holidays. I also put in orange peels, cloves, slices of apple (or even just the core). If you have a small crockpot or slow-cooker, it's even better! Just leave the lid off, or slightly off. (04/02/2008)

By Ann

Load More