Homemade Air Fresheners

Homemade Air Freshener Recipes
Make homemade air fresheners to help mask or neutralize household odors. This page contains recipes for homemade air fresheners.

Winter is coming and with that the windows and doors will be closed up tight and odors trapped inside. Here are some ideas to sweeten the smell of your home without harmful chemicals:

Source: Things I've learned and done over the years.

By Deeli from Richland, WA

Top Comment

When mixing your spray bottle of air fresheners made with essential oils and water, if you add just a little bit of either rubbing alcohol or witch hazel it will assist with the blending and give you a more consistent strength for the life of the bottle. I personally use the 70% rubbing alcohol for this since I like to save my witch hazel for getting rid of bruises and tightening my skin everywhere. I also decided on the 70% because the 91% just had too much of the alcohol smell to it. I have seen many posts using vodka, but since I don't drink vodka it's not something I have on hand and not worth a special trip to go pick up when I have the rubbing alcohol on hand always

This is a great economical way to freshen your home with fragrances that you know you like. Store bought air fresheners can be very expensive and I have quite often wasted my money on ones that I didn't like when I got home and used them.

If you take a potpourri pot or a small jar and fill it with packing peanuts, then spray your favorite perfume on it, it will hold the scent and keep the room fresh. You can also use potpourri spray for this.

By Robyn F. from TN

What a great idea! I hate getting fast food drinks in styrofoam just because I know they will be with us forever, so this would be something I could do to use those cups up. Way to go!

I love this idea. I also get potpouri cheap at thrift shops, and put it in small containers like liquid detergent cups or yogurt cups and set them behind things on my shelves, photos, teddies, flower vases. I also love to put orange peels and apple peels in an old coffee can with water, add some cinnamon/cloves and set it on low. The warm aroma lasts for a couple of days, then I just refill and repeat!

In the winter months the air inside our homes becomes very polluted. Putting vinegar in water and setting it on a woodburning stove puts vinegar in the air to kill bacteria floating in the air.

By Jill

Do you have any references to studies that prove this Jill? Its an interesting and logical sounding idea but a)does it work and b) if it does, does reducing air borne bacteria have any effect on the level of illness in the household?

Regards

Jo

Enough of the sarcastic, unnecessary commentary showing up on too many feedbacks!

My husband and I are both smokers. I know you all can imagine the smell of accumulated smoke. I soak very thin cotton handkerchiefs in vinegar, thumbtack them to the blades of our ceiling fans, one for each blade, use the lowest setting and wash our air. It does an incredible job.

My family takes turns hosting our annual Christmas get together. They aren't smokers, but when they came to us for our turn they were truly amazed at the complete lack of a smoke smell. Patti

Well since vinegar is an acid it will definitely work for most bacteria since most bacteria are sensitive to ph. Plus if you are worried that much about bacteria in the are turn down your heat. My mom had a doctor tell her to do this because I was frequently sick as a young child. The further from body temperature heat is the few viruses and bacteria will survive to potentially cause illness. This was proven by the fact when my parents turned down the heat I got sick about 1/2 as frequently. And in general throughout the rest of my childhood the children in my family were healthier than our other friends.

I was always uncomfortable using the bathroom fresheners knowing that they are chemical. I take a laundry spray bottle, fill it with water and about 20 drops of essential oil which I buy in the health food store (lavender smells good and has antiseptic qualities). Shake before using.

By Ema from Brooklyn, NY

Ema, add a capful of vodka to this recipe as it acts as a preservative or else you will be spraying scented stale water.

Monique :)

You can also add a capful of alcohol and it will do the same thing. It will also make the spray dry a little faster when it hits the air.

Recently I wanted to freshen up my home and had no air freshener on hand. Instead I took a small pot and placed some water in it, added a few drops of vanilla and some ground ginger. I then put it on the stove at the lowest setting and let it simmer. The whole house smelled wonderful!

By countryheart from Marianna, FL

You can also put a dab of vanilla (or your favorite perfume) on the light bulb of a lamp. When it heats up, it makes the whole room smell good!

When someone is coming over to my home and I don't have time to air it out and I don't want that obvious smell of an air freshener spray, I just sprinkle a tiny dash of cinnamon on to my electric burner. I then turn it onto LOW for about 15 - 30 seconds, then turn it off. The whole house smells good after doing this! And, cinnamon is something that smells natural, like you've been baking. Plus, it costs nothing and it's always in the cupboard. No worry, I've been doing this for years and my burners are fine.

Awesome tip!

I am trying your tip right this VERY minute but I have a smooth surface stove & dashed my cinnamon into some tinfoil - waiting for it to heat !

It should be great ! THANKS !

The Tin-Foil tip sounds great! .. Less Mess!

* Sometimes I think you can tell our age when we use words like "TIN" foil, instead of Aluminum foil ...or

"Tin Can" (I do!) ....I remember, my dad always called the refrigerator the "ICE BOX" ... because in his youth, they really DID use ice! ... Remember when Tin cans were made of Tin? ...Wax paper before saran wrap, & REAL tin foil! ...

Back before microwaves, computers & cell phones... Interesting how things change! <*grin*>

I am trying this one out for sure! Thanks!

I cannot believe this! After reading you post Cyinda, I went right into my kitchen and sprinkled cinnamon on my burner. Oh wow! By the time I got back in front of my computer, the aroma had wafted this far.

What a wonderful, great, terrific idea. It almost makes me want to go back and bake something. Almost...

Whenever I want to freshen the air in my home I don't like to use anything that smells like any type of food or spice. Smelling foods or spices in the air turns on my hunger pangs! So I use nature smells.

After carving your pumpkins, sprinkle some cinnamon inside the pumpkin then light your candle. Your house will smell like you're baking!

I had several bottles of body splash and cologne that I didn't care for (gifts from well meaning friends). Instead of throwing them out, I use them as bathroom air freshener and stinky shoe deodorizer.

An inexpensive room deodorizer can easily be made in an attractive canning jar. This is a guide about Mason jar air freshener.

Mason Jar Air Freshener

Read More... Was this helpful? 3

I love to use a little cinnamon in water boiling on the stove to make my house smell a little homey. Sometimes when someone calls for a unexpected visit to make my house smell like cookies are baking, I just put cinnamon in a pot with water and put it on the stove to boil.

To freshen the air in your kitchen, especially after cooking fish or cabbage, place a whole, unpeeled lemon in a 300 degree F oven for about 15 minutes, leaving the door slightly open.

One of the best room fresheners I have used is lemon essential oil. I bought a small bottle for under $5 at the health food store. It seems pricey but a very little bit goes a long way.

You can extend those Renuzit or Air Wick solid air fresheners by placing the scented part in a potpourri pot. I just add both the water and the chunk into a potpourri pot that plugs in. It extends the pretty smell in the house!

Extend Solid Air Freshener

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 3

Use a wash cloth and roll it in a roll. Sew side together and cut out fire flame and attach to the top with straight pins.

If you want a room to smell super duper fresh but don't want a big ugly air freshener hanging from your wall, just add a few drops of an essential oil into the bottom of a bottle or jar around your house.

A bottle of essential oil near collectible glass bottles.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 1

This is a guide about can you refill plug-in air fresheners?. You may be able to refill plug-in fresheners with your favorite scents.

Plugged in air freshener

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

If you want to freshen the air, just simmer a dozen or so sticks of cinnamon or some cloves in 2 cups of water in an uncovered saucepan on your stove!

Freshen your air for pennies and in a more natural way!

The cheapest way to remove odors from a room is to place cups of white vinegar in the room. It works 24/7 and all you have to do is refill when it evaporates. I use old candle jars that have been used up so that it does not interfere with the decor of each room.

Heat 1 cup of water with 1/2 cup of liquid potpourri add 2 packages of gelatin. Heat until boil stirring constantly. Take away from heat and add the other 1/2 cup of potpourri.

In a small bowl, combine corn meal or flour, salt, and essential oil. Mix well and add boiling water. Add drops of any food coloring and mix well. When mixture has cooled enough to handle, roll mixture into 2-3 inch balls.

Make a pretty air freshener using leftover scented candle wax. It can be cut into fun shapes using a cookie cutter. This is a guide about recycled candle wax air freshener.

Recycled Candle Wax Air Freshener - Air fresheners hanging from shower curtain rings.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Keep your home smelling fresh with a non-toxic natural air freshener using a jar. Learn how to make this homemade jar air freshener in this guide.

Natural Air Freshener - completed jar

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about use your slow cooker as an air freshener. A mixture of water, baking soda, and a pleasant scent such a cinnamon can be simmered in your slow cooker to freshen the air in your home.

Green Electric Slow Cooker on a white background.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about make your own air fresheners. You can save money and control the ingredients in your air freshener by making your own.

A bottle of essential oils, commonly used to make homemade air fresheners.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about materials for making car air fresheners. If you are looking for an alternative to the ubiquitous pine tree air freshener of old, try making your own.

flip flop air freshener

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes
Load More