Homemade Air Freshener

This page contains recipes for homemade air fresheners. Make homemade air fresheners to help mask or neutralize household odors.

Homemade Air Freshener Recipes
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

If you're like me your slow cooker has a daily special place on your counter top just as the regularly used coffee pot, blender or assorted other appliances do. If not, make a special place for it and use it not just for cooking but also to refresh the air in your home! Winter is a perfect time of year to start getting into the habit of using this idea because windows and doors are closed up tight and odors inside your home become stale and/or become stinky because of certain foods being cooked.

Here is how to use your slow cooker to your air freshening advantage with items you probably already have in your kitchen. Some people use essential oils but unless you know that what is in those oils are safe for consumption, I wouldn't recommend using them if planning to also continue using the pot for cooking.

For safety sake, be sure to test how long it takes for the water to completely evaporate from your slow cooker on a day you'll be home because you are going to be leaving the lid off so evaporation is going to occur more quickly. In doing this test, you can plan accordingly for the amount of hours you can safely be away.

Okay, here is all there is to it. Turn your slow cooker on high, pour in two quarts of water, two tablespoons of baking soda, stir well, bring to a simmer then turn down to low. Now comes the fun part of adding scents! Here are some nice scent ideas plus two combinations I personally like and I am sure you can easily come up with your own favorite concoctions :-)

• Extracts used for cooking and baking that smell as yummy as they taste! Here is a list of some of them: Almond, Banana, Cherry, Coconut, Maple, Rum, Strawberry and Vanilla.
  • Fresh sliced Lemon, Lime or Orange or their dried peels
  • Spices such as Allspice, Cinnamon Sticks, Cloves, Ginger and Nutmeg
  • Combination One: 2 whole lemons, sliced, 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • Combination Two: 2 whole oranges, sliced, 1 tablespoon vanilla extract, 2 cinnamon sticks

By Deeli from Richland, WA

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I had my husband drill several small holes in the lid. Then I stuffed cotton balls inside and poured scented oils in it. It doesn't leak. I put them in my vehicle to make it smell good.

Winter is coming and with that the windows and doors will be closed up tight and odors trapped inside. Here are some ideas to sweeten the smell of your home without harmful chemicals:

• Place a small sprinkling of ground cinnamon or ground clove on an electric stove burner and turn on the heat to the very lowest setting possible.
    • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Use a small piece of tinfoil, turn up the edges and pour a teaspoon of vanilla on top and place the foil in the oven. Turn off oven and prop the door open a bit.
    • Place 1 to 2 teaspoons vanilla or vanilla extract in small cups or bowls around the home.
    • Mix small amounts of lemon juice or vinegar and baking soda together and place in small cups or bowls around the home.
    • To abolish cooking odors, simmer 1 tablespoon vinegar with one cup of water in a small pan.
    • Simmer your favorite spices, citrus rinds or fresh pine needles in a small pan of water on the stove. Experiment by mixing and matching. Also, instead of throwing out stale dated apple, cranberry or orange juice, just simmer in a small pan on the stove.Be sure to set a timer to remind you that it's time to add more water!
    • In a spray bottle, add several drops of your favorite essential oil to water. Shake to mix and mist the air.
    • Add a few drops of your favorite essential oil to a cotton ball and place around the home.
    • Place a couple of drops of your favorite essential oil on a light bulb. Be sure to only do this on a bulb that is turned off and is cool! Once you turn the light on the heat from the bulb will slowly release the essential oil in the air.
    • Place a couple of drops of your favorite essential oil inside your cardboard toilet paper roll and the scent will be released every time someone removes toilet paper.
    • Place springs of fresh eucalyptus around your home.
    • Don't forget fresh flowers work too.

Source: Things I've learned and done over the years.

By Deeli from Richland, WA

If you take a potpourri pot or a small jar and fill it with packing peanuts, then spray your favorite perfume on it, it will hold the scent and keep the room fresh. You can also use potpourri spray for this.

Mason Jar Air FreshenerBaking soda is a great natural deodorizer. You can use it as an inexpensive air freshener, but you may not want a box of Arm and Hammer sitting on your bathroom counter. Here is an easy and cute way to make a baking soda air freshener.

Approximate Time: 20 minutes

• 1/2 box (1 pound) baking soda, approximately 1 cup
    • scrapbooking paper
    • tapestry needle
    • 1/4 tsp. pure essential oil (any frangrance)
    • mason jar, small
    • scissors
    • pen or pencil
    supplies for Mason jar air freshener

Instructions:

1. Trace the center of the mason jar lid (without the ring) into a piece of scrapbook paper. Cut out the circle.
    2. tracing lid shape onto scrapbook paper

3. Using tapestry needle, poke holes in whatever pattern you wish into the paper. Set aside.
    4. punching holes in scrapbook paper

5. Pour baking soda into the jar.
    6. pouring baking soda into jar using a paper funnel

7. Add essential oil into the jar. Screw lid and ring onto the jar and shake to combine baking soda and oil.
    8. Adding essential oil to baking soda

9. Remove lid from ring and place paper circle into the ring. Screw onto the jar and place your air freshener where ever you need it.
    Finished Air Freshener

By Laurel from Port Orchard, WA

This short video shows you how to make an air freshener with just a few simple ingredients. View the full project here: Mason Jar Air Freshener

I was always uncomfortable using the bathroom fresheners knowing that they are chemical. I take a laundry spray bottle, fill it with water and about 20 drops of essential oil which I buy in the health food store.

Recently I wanted to freshen up my home and had no air freshener on hand. Instead I took a small pot and placed some water in it, added a few drops of vanilla and some ground ginger.

When someone is coming over to my home and I don't have time to air it out and I don't want that obvious smell of an air freshener spray, I just sprinkle a tiny dash of cinnamon on to my electric burner.

After carving your pumpkins, sprinkle some cinnamon inside the pumpkin then light your candle. Your house will smell like you're baking!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Whenever I want to freshen the air in my home I don't like to use anything that smells like any type of food or spice. Smelling foods or spices in the air turns on my hunger pangs! So I use nature smells.

In the winter months the air inside our homes becomes very polluted. Putting vinegar in water and setting it on a woodburning stove puts vinegar in the air to kill bacteria floating in the air. By Jill

I had several bottles of body splash and cologne that I didn't care for (gifts from well meaning friends). Instead of throwing them out, I use them as bathroom air freshener and stinky shoe deodorizer.

You can extend those Renuzit or Air Wick solid air fresheners by placing the scented part in a potpourri pot. I just add both the water and the chunk into a potpourri pot that plugs in. It extends the pretty smell in the house!

Extend Solid Air Freshener

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I love to use a little cinnamon in water boiling on the stove to make my house smell a little homey. Sometimes when someone calls for a unexpected visit to make my house smell like cookies are baking, I just put cinnamon in a pot with water and put it on the stove to boil.

Make some cute, all-natural flower pot air fresheners! You will need:

• small terra cotta flower pots (about 4 inch height)
    • lacy fabric or cheesecloth cut into 8 inch circles
    • 30 inches of ribbon
    • baking soda
    • essential oils

Instructions:

First, stop any holes in the bottom of the pots with tape. Fill them with baking soda and mix in about 10 drops or so of your favorite essential oil. Place the circle of fabric over the pot and secure by tying the ribbon around the rim with a bow.

To freshen just stir in a few more drops of oil, and change the baking soda every few months. I love these little pots, they leave a nice, subtle scent without chemicals or synthetic perfumes.

They're lovely in smaller rooms like the kitchen or bathroom, and inexpensive to make. I even used some old lace curtains for the fabric. The only trick is to place them where kids, pets (or you!) won't knock them over too easily.

By Tapestry Lady from England

I have used so many different carpet/room deodorizers in canisters, shake ons, etc. to rid carpets, furniture, and floors, that the smell. It is just about overwhelming and I can't figure out how to get back to basic clean smell. It is getting worse and worse, hot weather with windows open, still bad. Please help. I need to deodorize and get a clean smell.

By PAT s.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Years ago I rented an apartment with a carpeted laundry room. The people who lived there used that room for their dog that was not housebroken. Yuck! After renting a shampooer (twice) and using several patented rug deodorizers, I finally heavily spritzed the carpet with white vinegar. Two applications later and all was finally well.

Read More Answers...

One of the best room fresheners I have used is lemon essential oil. I bought a small bottle for under $5 at the health food store. It seems pricey but a very little bit goes a long way.

Use a wash cloth and roll it in a roll. Sew side together and cut out fire flame and attach to the top with straight pins.

To freshen the air in your kitchen, especially after cooking fish or cabbage, place a whole, unpeeled lemon in a 300 degree F oven for about 15 minutes, leaving the door slightly open.

I am looking for suggestions for homemade air fresheners.

By Bob M. from Ogunquit, ME

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I like to peel an orange (save the peel), a couple sprinkles of cinnamon, a sprinkle of ground cloves, then put them in a small pan with enough water to cover the orange peelings and then turn the stove on low. As the mixture heats up the whole house smells wonderful.

Read More Answers...

I am trying to find an air freshener recipe to make that smells like baby powder. Does anyone know of one?

By Ellen D.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I've used assorted fragrant lotions to make spray air freshener (that I also sometimes use as a body spray) and it's really easy. :-)

Be sure to use at least an 8 ounce bottle because you'll need the extra space for the lotion to blend with the water without any lumps. Place 1 ounce of lotion with 5 ounces of distilled water in a clean spray bottle and shake vigorously. If after mixing you want a bit stonger scent just add another 1/2 ounce or so of lotion and shake vigorously again.

My choice for the baby powder scent would be the good old fashioned wonderful smelling Johnson & Johnson Baby Lotion - Yum! As a matter of fact I have some on hand and you've prompted me to now use it for the next bottle of spray ;-)

Does anyone know how to make something similar to the "AirWick" type of air freshener?

Bev from Grand Rapids, MN

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I used to buy the plug-in air fresheners, but I never will again. I refill the empty bottles with my own scents! You can pull out the wick, fill it about 1/3 of the way with your choice of essential oil and almost the rest of the way with water (careful though, fill it too full and it will spill when you put the wick back in), place your finger over the top and shake, then put the wick back in and plug it in! It's super easy, better for the environment, better for the people breathing it in, and nice to choose any scent you want rather than be limited by the dizzyingly chemical laden artificial scents that are sold in stores.

Read More Answers...

In a small bowl, combine corn meal or flour, salt, and essential oil. Mix well and add boiling water. Add drops of any food coloring and mix well. When mixture has cooled enough to handle, roll mixture into 2-3 inch balls.

When you car auto freshener goes dead, revive it by putting a few drops of concentrated candy flavoring oil onto the freshener pad. Since it is the holiday season, I just put a couple of drops of peppermint oil on one today, and cinnamon oil on one in another vehicle.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Freshen your air for pennies and in a more natural way!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The cheapest way to remove odors from a room is to place cups of white vinegar in the room. It works 24/7 and all you have to do is refill when it evaporates. I use old candle jars that have been used up so that it does not interfere with the decor of each room.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Mix ingredients gently in a large glass jar. Cover with lid and store for six weeks until salt is well seasoned.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I received a bunch of those small bottles of cologne from my family for my birthday; the kind they have at Walmart on one of the hanging displays, about $6-8 each. Some of them I love enough to wear, but not all. So the ones I don't really care for enough to wear, I will dribble on the back of the couch, recliner, etc, and it makes a nice (free to me) air freshener!

I don't recommend buying them for that reason as they are a bit high, but if you have any leftover cologne that you just don't wear, don't want, or want to hurry and use up, it is a great use!

By Fatboyslimsmom from Many, LA

Answers:

Use Excess Cologne as Air Freshener

I tend to use the "unwanteds" as bargain-basement Febreze: After vacuuming, I walk through the room and spritz the floor with the stuff. What I don't like for use on my own body seems to nicely freshen my room, if only temporarily. (10/28/2009)

By JustPlainJo

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
    Load More
    Home and Garden Cleaning Cleaning Supply Recipes Air FreshenersSeptember 19, 2011
    A/C Heater Vent
    Ford F150 Air Conditioner Blowing Hot Air
    Perfume as Air Freshener
    Using Perfume as Air Freshener
    Getting Rid of the Smell from a Plugin Air Freshener
    Air Ionizer and Purifier for Allergies
    Improving Indoor Air Quality
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 27, 2016 at 2:06:31 PM on 10.0.1.165 in 708 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.