Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Homemade Air Freshener Recipes

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Homemade Air Freshener Recipes

This page contains recipes for homemade air fresheners. Make homemade air fresheners to help mask or neutralize household odors.

Video: Making a Mason Jar Air Freshener

This short video shows you how to make an air freshener with just a few simple ingredients. View the full project here: Mason Jar Air Freshener

Solutions: Homemade Air Freshener Recipes

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Slow Cooker As Air Freshener

If you're like me your slow cooker has a daily special place on your counter top just as the regularly used coffee pot, blender or assorted other appliances do. If not, make a special place for it and use it not just for cooking but also to refresh the air in your home! Winter is a perfect time of year to start getting into the habit of using this idea because windows and doors are closed up tight and odors inside your home become stale and/or become stinky because of certain foods being cooked.

Here is how to use your slow cooker to your air freshening advantage with items you probably already have in your kitchen. Some people use essential oils but unless you know that what is in those oils are safe for consumption, I wouldn't recommend using them if planning to also continue using the pot for cooking.

For safety sake, be sure to test how long it takes for the water to completely evaporate from your slow cooker on a day you'll be home because you are going to be leaving the lid off so evaporation is going to occur more quickly. In doing this test, you can plan accordingly for the amount of hours you can safely be away.

Okay, here is all there is to it. Turn your slow cooker on high, pour in two quarts of water, two tablespoons of baking soda, stir well, bring to a simmer then turn down to low. Now comes the fun part of adding scents! Here are some nice scent ideas plus two combinations I personally like and I am sure you can easily come up with your own favorite concoctions :-)

• Extracts used for cooking and baking that smell as yummy as they taste! Here is a list of some of them: Almond, Banana, Cherry, Coconut, Maple, Rum, Strawberry and Vanilla.
  • Fresh sliced Lemon, Lime or Orange or their dried peels
  • Spices such as Allspice, Cinnamon Sticks, Cloves, Ginger and Nutmeg
  • Combination One: 2 whole lemons, sliced, 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • Combination Two: 2 whole oranges, sliced, 1 tablespoon vanilla extract, 2 cinnamon sticks

By Deeli from Richland, WA

Tip: Natural Air Fresheners

Winter is coming and with that the windows and doors will be closed up tight and odors trapped inside. Here are some ideas to sweeten the smell of your home without harmful chemicals:

• Place a small sprinkling of ground cinnamon or ground clove on an electric stove burner and turn on the heat to the very lowest setting possible.
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Use a small piece of tinfoil, turn up the edges and pour a teaspoon of vanilla on top and place the foil in the oven. Turn off oven and prop the door open a bit.
  • Place 1 to 2 teaspoons vanilla or vanilla extract in small cups or bowls around the home.
  • Mix small amounts of lemon juice or vinegar and baking soda together and place in small cups or bowls around the home.
  • To abolish cooking odors, simmer 1 tablespoon vinegar with one cup of water in a small pan.
  • Simmer your favorite spices, citrus rinds or fresh pine needles in a small pan of water on the stove. Experiment by mixing and matching. Also, instead of throwing out stale dated apple, cranberry or orange juice, just simmer in a small pan on the stove.Be sure to set a timer to remind you that it's time to add more water!
  • In a spray bottle, add several drops of your favorite essential oil to water. Shake to mix and mist the air.
  • Add a few drops of your favorite essential oil to a cotton ball and place around the home.
  • Place a couple of drops of your favorite essential oil on a light bulb. Be sure to only do this on a bulb that is turned off and is cool! Once you turn the light on the heat from the bulb will slowly release the essential oil in the air.
  • Place a couple of drops of your favorite essential oil inside your cardboard toilet paper roll and the scent will be released every time someone removes toilet paper.
  • Place springs of fresh eucalyptus around your home.
  • Don't forget fresh flowers work too.

Source: Things I've learned and done over the years.

By Deeli from Richland, WA

Tip: Potpourri Packing Peanuts Scent Jar

If you take a potpourri pot or a small jar and fill it with packing peanuts, then spray your favorite perfume on it, it will hold the scent and keep the room fresh. You can also use potpourri spray for this.

By Robyn F. from TN

Tip: Pumpkin Air Freshener

After carving your pumpkins, sprinkle some cinnamon inside the pumpkin then light your candle. Your house will smell like you're baking!

By coville123 from Brockville, Ontario

Mason Jar Air Freshener

Mason Jar Air FreshenerBaking soda is a great natural deodorizer. You can use it as an inexpensive air freshener, but you may not want a box of Arm and Hammer sitting on your bathroom counter. Here is an easy and cute way to make a baking soda air freshener.

Approximate Time: 20 minutes

• 1/2 baking soda
  • scrapbooking paper
  • tapestry needle
  • 1/4 tsp. pure essential oil (any frangrance)
  • mason jar, small
  • scissors
  • pen or pencil
supplies for Mason jar air freshener

Instructions:

1. Trace the center of the mason jar lid (without the ring) into a piece of scrapbook paper. Cut out the circle.
  2. tracing lid shape onto scrapbook paper

3. Using tapestry needle, poke holes in whatever pattern you wish into the paper. Set aside.
  4. punching holes in scrapbook paper

5. Pour baking soda into the jar.
  6. pouring baking soda into jar using a paper funnel

7. Add essential oil into the jar. Screw lid and ring onto the jar and shake to combine baking soda and oil.
  8. Adding essential oil to baking soda

9. Remove lid from ring and place paper circle into the ring. Screw onto the jar and place your air freshener where ever you need it.
Finished Air Freshener

By Laurel from Port Orchard, WA

Tip: Vanilla Extract Room Freshener

Recently I wanted to freshen up my home and had no air freshener on hand. Instead I took a small pot and placed some water in it, added a few drops of vanilla and some ground ginger. I then put it on the stove at the lowest setting and let it simmer. The whole house smelled wonderful!

By countryheart from Marianna, FL

Tip: Homemade Air Freshener

I was always uncomfortable using the bathroom fresheners knowing that they are chemical. I take a laundry spray bottle, fill it with water and about 20 drops of essential oil which I buy in the health food store (lavender smells good and has antiseptic qualities). Shake before using.

By Ema from Brooklyn, NY

Tip: Candles as Air Fresheners

Whenever I want to freshen the air in my home I don't like to use anything that smells like any type of food or spice. This is because I am trying to lose weight, but smelling foods or spices in the air turns on my hunger pangs! So I use nature smells. During most of the year my favorites are "Ocean Breeze" or "After the Rain". If I can find one that's not overpowering, I like "Honeysuckle" or "Lavender". In my bedrooms I like to use "Clean Linen" scents.

Instead of burning candles though, I take those same candles and put them under a candle warmer. If you don't have one, you can use a table lamp if you are able to bend the lamp facing down over the candle. (I'm talking about the candles that are in jars.) Put a 40-60W bulb in and turn it on. The heat from the bulb melts the candle and the scent goes through the room nicely. And depending on the size of the candle, they will last for over a year. The ones I have now I have been using for close to a year and a half now.

By Cricket from Parkton, NC

Tip: Use Excess Cologne as Air Freshener

I had several bottles of body splash and cologne that I didn't care for (gifts from well meaning friends). Instead of throwing them out, I use them as bathroom air freshener and stinky shoe deodorizer.

By mlina from Amherstburg, ON

Tip: Heated Cinnamon and Water for Room Freshener

I love to use a little cinnamon in water boiling on the stove to make my house smell a little homey. Sometimes when someone calls for a unexpected visit to make my house smell like cookies are baking, I just put cinnamon in a pot with water and put it on the stove to boil. The smell is so relaxing (like mom is baking cookies). The smell lasts much longer than the can sprays. Lot cheaper too.

Source: From a friend.

By Sharon from LA

Tip: Cinnamon Air Freshener

When someone is coming over to my home and I don't have time to air it out and I don't want that obvious smell of an air freshener spray, I just sprinkle a tiny dash of cinnamon on to my electric burner. I then turn it onto LOW for about 15 - 30 seconds, then turn it off. The whole house smells good after doing this! And, cinnamon is something that smells natural, like you've been baking. Plus, it costs nothing and it's always in the cupboard. No worry, I've been doing this for years and my burners are fine.

Tip: Clearing the Air with Vinegar

In the winter months the air inside our homes becomes very polluted. Putting vinegar in water and setting it on a woodburning stove puts vinegar in the air to kill bacteria floating in the air.

By Jill

Tip: Lemon Air Freshener

To freshen the air in your kitchen, especially after cooking fish or cabbage, place a whole, unpeeled lemon in a 300 degree F oven for about 15 minutes, leaving the door slightly open. Turn off the oven and let the lemon cool before removing it. You can also boil lemon rind in water for a citrus scent. If you use the whole lemon make a pot of lemon tea after removing it from the oven by placing the lemon (sliced) into boiling water and add sugar as needed.

By joesgirl

Tip: Prescription Bottle Auto Air Freshener

I had my husband drill several small holes in the lid. Then I stuffed cotton balls inside and poured scented oils in it. It doesn't leak. I put them in my vehicle to make it smell good.

By

Tip: Lemon Essential Oil for a Room Freshener

One of the best room fresheners I have used is lemon essential oil. I bought a small bottle for under $5 at the health food store. It seems pricey but a very little bit goes a long way. Instead of using toxic air/room sprays or gels in the bathroom I simply dip a cotton swab into the essential oil and apply the oil inside the cardboard T.P. roll. Whenever you pull T.P. off the roll, you smell lemons. I also swab the oil inside the garbage can lids so you smell lemons when opened instead of garbage. Any scent would work but I like lemon essential oil for its uplifting "clean" smell. I also use it to scent my homemade cleaning products as well as a few drops mixed with water in my oil burner. You can also make a great linen spray id you dilute the oil in water in a clean spray bottle.

By Tracey from Duluth, MN

Tip: Lemon Air Freshener

Freshen your air for pennies and in a more natural way! Go to your local health food store and purchase lemon oil. This should cost around $4.00 for a 1 ounce bottle. Since it's an oil, it's highly concentrated. In a spray bottle, mix 4 cups rubbing alcohol, 4 cups distilled water, and six drops lemon oil. Whenever you want to freshen the air, spray the mixture. A 1 oz bottle of lemon oil will last about a year.

By Maria

(Editors Note: This would make 1/2 gallon and most spray bottles are smaller. Make mix in another bottle and pour into your spray bottle if you don't have one that is that big.)

Tip: Vinegar for Odors

The cheapest way to remove odors from a room is to place cups of white vinegar in the room. It works 24/7 and all you have to do is refill when it evaporates. I use old candle jars that have been used up so that it does not interfere with the decor of each room.

By Sherry

Tip: Auto Freshener Tip

When you car auto freshener goes dead, revive it by putting a few drops of concentrated candy flavoring oil onto the freshener pad. Since it is the holiday season, I just put a couple of drops of peppermint oil on one today, and cinnamon oil on one in another vehicle.

By April from Plattsburg, MO

Tip: Spice Scent Recipe for a Closet

• 3 pounds of course salt
  • 1/2 cup each of whole allspice, cloves, and ginger
  • 1 cup broken cinnamon sticks
  • 3 whole nutmeg (crushed with hammer)

Instructions:

Mix ingredients gently in a large glass jar. Cover with lid and store for six weeks until salt is well seasoned.

To scent a closet, remove lid. Close when not in use.

By JC Miller

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Homemade Air Freshener Recipes.

Question: Making a Ginger Air Freshener

We recently took a cruise on Halong Bay in Vietnam. Our cabin smelled of fresh grated ginger every time we walked in. I'd like to be able to duplicate that wonderful fresh smell at home. Any ideas?

By Kathy S.

Question: Homemade Jar Air Fresheners

I need to know how to make jar air fresheners using baking soda.

By BM

Question: Removing Odor Buildup from Air Fresheners

I have used so many different carpet/room deodorizers in canisters, shake ons, etc. to rid carpets, furniture, and floors, that the smell. It is just about overwhelming and I can't figure out how to get back to basic clean smell. It is getting worse and worse, hot weather with windows open, still bad. Please help. I need to deodorize and get a clean smell.

By PAT s.

Most Recent Answer

By Emily Barnell M.09/23/2013

I suggest sprinkling some baking soda on the carpet and then vacuuming it up. It is a natural deodorizer without smell. Hope this helps.

Question: Using Homemade Room Freshener

How long can we use homemade room freshener?

By Nishan

Question: Homemade Air Freshener

I used to buy Nilodor to eliminate many smells. It worked on cigarette smoke. It is hard to find now, and I wonder if there are any recipes to make a like product by hand.

By Linda L.

Question: Baby Powder Scented Air Freshener Recipe

I am trying to find an air freshener recipe to make that smells like baby powder. Does anyone know of one?

By Ellen D.

Most Recent Answer

02/21/2012

I've used assorted fragrant lotions to make spray air freshener (that I also sometimes use as a body spray) and it's really easy. :-)

Be sure to use at least an 8 ounce bottle because you'll need the extra space for the lotion to blend with the water without any lumps. Place 1 ounce of lotion with 5 ounces of distilled water in a clean spray bottle and shake vigorously. If after mixing you want a bit stonger scent just add another 1/2 ounce or so of lotion and shake vigorously again.

My choice for the baby powder scent would be the good old fashioned wonderful smelling Johnson & Johnson Baby Lotion - Yum! As a matter of fact I have some on hand and you've prompted me to now use it for the next bottle of spray ;-)

Question: Homemade Air Fresheners

I am looking for suggestions for homemade air fresheners.

By Bob M. from Ogunquit, ME

Most Recent Answer

By Beth 10/18/2009

I like to peel an orange (save the peel), a couple sprinkles of cinnamon, a sprinkle of ground cloves, then put them in a small pan with enough water to cover the orange peelings and then turn the stove on low. As the mixture heats up the whole house smells wonderful.

Question: Homemade Airwick Air Fresheners

Does anyone know how to make something similar to the "AirWick" type of air freshener?

Bev from Grand Rapids, MN

Most Recent Answer

By Bess Schrachta11/05/2013

I used to buy the plug-in air fresheners, but I never will again. I refill the empty bottles with my own scents! You can pull out the wick, fill it about 1/3 of the way with your choice of essential oil and almost the rest of the way with water (careful though, fill it too full and it will spill when you put the wick back in), place your finger over the top and shake, then put the wick back in and plug it in! It's super easy, better for the environment, better for the people breathing it in, and nice to choose any scent you want rather than be limited by the dizzyingly chemical laden artificial scents that are sold in stores.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Homemade Air Fresheners

Recipes for making homemade air fresheners. Everyone wants to have pleasant smelling home.

Archive: Use Perfume Samples As Air Fresheners

Sometimes I receive gifts of perfumes, colognes, etc. that I don't particularly like the smell of for wearing myself. I never waste any of them. I use them as room fresheners. Just squirt a little toward the ceiling of the room and the smell will stay around for quite a while. Saves on buying air fresheners and you are using something that would either get tossed or just sit in a cupboard. If it's not aerosol, just put it in an empty spray bottle and use that. I've even been known to mix two different fragrances together with no problems! Just test a little on your arm first if you are not quite sure.

By Cett from Malta, Europe

RE: Use Perfume Samples As Air Fresheners

Nice idea. But just be sure no-one in your house is allergic! Someone told me to spray unwanted perfume on overhead light bulbs to give the room a nice perfume. I did, and sent my male house share person into a frenzy of coughing etc, apparently he's allergic to to perfumes, air fresheners and so on. I didn't kill him, but he made me feel as tho I almost did! (08/21/2007)

By Ellie

Archive: Use Excess Cologne as Air Freshener

I received a bunch of those small bottles of cologne from my family for my birthday; the kind they have at Walmart on one of the hanging displays, about $6-8 each. Some of them I love enough to wear, but not all. So the ones I don't really care for enough to wear, I will dribble on the back of the couch, recliner, etc, and it makes a nice (free to me) air freshener!

I don't recommend buying them for that reason as they are a bit high, but if you have any leftover cologne that you just don't wear, don't want, or want to hurry and use up, it is a great use!

By Fatboyslimsmom from Many, LA

RE: Use Excess Cologne as Air Freshener

I tend to use the "unwanteds" as bargain-basement Febreze: After vacuuming, I walk through the room and spritz the floor with the stuff. What I don't like for use on my own body seems to nicely freshen my room, if only temporarily. (10/28/2009)

By JustPlainJo