Homemade Air Fresheners

This page contains recipes for homemade air fresheners. Make homemade air fresheners to help mask or neutralize household odors.

December 2, 2011 Flag

If you're like me your slow cooker has a daily special place on your counter top just as the regularly used coffee pot, blender or assorted other appliances do. If not, make a special place for it and use it not just for cooking but also to refresh the air in your home! Winter is a perfect time of year to start getting into the habit of using this idea because windows and doors are closed up tight and odors inside your home become stale and/or become stinky because of certain foods being cooked.

Here is how to use your slow cooker to your air freshening advantage with items you probably already have in your kitchen. Some people use essential oils but unless you know that what is in those oils are safe for consumption, I wouldn't recommend using them if planning to also continue using the pot for cooking.

For safety sake, be sure to test how long it takes for the water to completely evaporate from your slow cooker on a day you'll be home because you are going to be leaving the lid off so evaporation is going to occur more quickly. In doing this test, you can plan accordingly for the amount of hours you can safely be away.

Okay, here is all there is to it. Turn your slow cooker on high, pour in two quarts of water, two tablespoons of baking soda, stir well, bring to a simmer then turn down to low. Now comes the fun part of adding scents! Here are some nice scent ideas plus two combinations I personally like and I am sure you can easily come up with your own favorite concoctions :-)

By Deeli from Richland, WA

Deeli, Dear. I hope you get a whole bunch of thumbs up for this one. An added hint, buy your dried spices from the Mexican aisle at the market. You can get bigger bags cheaper at the 99¢ store too. And don't forget the peppermint, spearmint, wintergreen etc. Winter is just starting. 83º here yesterday. ;-) GG Vi

October 5, 2009 Flag

Winter is coming and with that the windows and doors will be closed up tight and odors trapped inside. Here are some ideas to sweeten the smell of your home without harmful chemicals:

Source: Things I've learned and done over the years.

By Deeli from Richland, WA

Top Comment

When mixing your spray bottle of air fresheners made with essential oils and water, if you add just a little bit of either rubbing alcohol or witch hazel it will assist with the blending and give you a more consistent strength for the life of the bottle. I personally use the 70% rubbing alcohol for this since I like to save my witch hazel for getting rid of bruises and tightening my skin everywhere. I also decided on the 70% because the 91% just had too much of the alcohol smell to it. I have seen many posts using vodka, but since I don't drink vodka it's not something I have on hand and not worth a special trip to go pick up when I have the rubbing alcohol on hand always

July 31, 2016 Flag

If like me you are a bit dubious about what is contained in manufactured air fresheners and whether or not it is good for you to be breathing that stuff into your lungs, then you might be wanting to have more natural scents around your home.

It is actually very easy to make your own room fresheners with a few cheap ingredients.

• essential oils of your choice
  • 1 empty jar
  • bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
  • 1 small square of cloth
  • 1 rubber band
  • 1 length of ribbon
  • 1 wooden stick or bamboo skewer for mixing

1. Pour some bicarbonate of soda (baking soda) into the glass jar to about one third full.
  2. Add essential oils drop by drop. I used an equal mix of lime, hyacinth absolute, and ylang ylang, but you can choose any combination you like. You will need about twenty to thirty drops in total.
  3. Use a wooden implement such as a bamboo skewer to mix the oils in as thoroughly as possible.
  4. Cover with a pretty piece of cloth and secure with the rubber band.
  5. Add some decorative ribbon or lace to cover the band.
  6. Your freshener is ready to use. I put mine in the front porch and enjoy the lovely scent everytime I arrive home and open the front door

August 17, 2011 Flag

If you take a potpourri pot or a small jar and fill it with packing peanuts, then spray your favorite perfume on it, it will hold the scent and keep the room fresh. You can also use potpourri spray for this.

August 4, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about Mason jar air freshener. An inexpensive room deodorizer can easily be made in an attractive canning jar.

Mason Jar Air Freshener

July 31, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about can you refill plug-in air fresheners?. You may be able to refill plug-in fresheners with your favorite scents.

Plugged in air freshener

May 25, 2010 Flag

I was always uncomfortable using the bathroom fresheners knowing that they are chemical. I take a laundry spray bottle, fill it with water and about 20 drops of essential oil which I buy in the health food store.

October 6, 2011 Flag

Recently I wanted to freshen up my home and had no air freshener on hand. Instead I took a small pot and placed some water in it, added a few drops of vanilla and some ground ginger.

February 10, 2012 Flag

Use candle wax scraps to make an air freshener.

Air fresheners hanging from shower curtain rings.

January 8, 2008 Flag

When someone is coming over to my home and I don't have time to air it out and I don't want that obvious smell of an air freshener spray, I just sprinkle a tiny dash of cinnamon on to my electric burner.

March 16, 2011 Flag

I had several bottles of body splash and cologne that I didn't care for (gifts from well meaning friends). Instead of throwing them out, I use them as bathroom air freshener and stinky shoe deodorizer.

February 7, 2005 Flag

In the winter months the air inside our homes becomes very polluted. Putting vinegar in water and setting it on a woodburning stove puts vinegar in the air to kill bacteria floating in the air. By Jill

October 12, 2012 Flag

After carving your pumpkins, sprinkle some cinnamon inside the pumpkin then light your candle. Your house will smell like you're baking!

September 30, 2011 Flag

Whenever I want to freshen the air in my home I don't like to use anything that smells like any type of food or spice. Smelling foods or spices in the air turns on my hunger pangs! So I use nature smells.

June 3, 2010 Flag

I love to use a little cinnamon in water boiling on the stove to make my house smell a little homey. Sometimes when someone calls for a unexpected visit to make my house smell like cookies are baking, I just put cinnamon in a pot with water and put it on the stove to boil.

April 8, 2009 Flag

Make some cute, all-natural flower pot air fresheners! You will need:

Instructions:

First, stop any holes in the bottom of the pots with tape. Fill them with baking soda and mix in about 10 drops or so of your favorite essential oil. Place the circle of fabric over the pot and secure by tying the ribbon around the rim with a bow.

To freshen just stir in a few more drops of oil, and change the baking soda every few months. I love these little pots, they leave a nice, subtle scent without chemicals or synthetic perfumes.

They're lovely in smaller rooms like the kitchen or bathroom, and inexpensive to make. I even used some old lace curtains for the fabric. The only trick is to place them where kids, pets (or you!) won't knock them over too easily.

By Tapestry Lady from England

Thanks. I can't wait to try this out. What a cute gift for wedding showers, Christmas, whatever.

Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning Cleaning Supply Recipes Air FreshenersSeptember 19, 2011
A/C Heater Vent
Ford F150 Air Conditioner Blowing Hot Air
Perfume as Air Freshener
Using Perfume as Air Freshener
Getting Rid of the Smell from a Plugin Air Freshener
Air Ionizer and Purifier for Allergies
Improving Indoor Air Quality
🎉
🎄