Homemade Air Fresheners

Make homemade air fresheners to help mask or neutralize household odors. This page contains recipes for homemade air fresheners.

October 5, 2009 Flag

Winter is coming and with that the windows and doors will be closed up tight and odors trapped inside. Here are some ideas to sweeten the smell of your home without harmful chemicals:

Source: Things I've learned and done over the years.

By Deeli from Richland, WA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Top Comment

When mixing your spray bottle of air fresheners made with essential oils and water, if you add just a little bit of either rubbing alcohol or witch hazel it will assist with the blending and give you a more consistent strength for the life of the bottle. I personally use the 70% rubbing alcohol for this since I like to save my witch hazel for getting rid of bruises and tightening my skin everywhere. I also decided on the 70% because the 91% just had too much of the alcohol smell to it. I have seen many posts using vodka, but since I don't drink vodka it's not something I have on hand and not worth a special trip to go pick up when I have the rubbing alcohol on hand always

August 17, 2011 Flag

If you take a potpourri pot or a small jar and fill it with packing peanuts, then spray your favorite perfume on it, it will hold the scent and keep the room fresh. You can also use potpourri spray for this.

By Robyn F. from TN

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 2 Comments

December 18, 2014 Flag

Put a perfume sample from a magazine inside your toilet paper roll before you put the toilet paper on the roller. Every time you roll off, you will have a nice smell.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 2 Comments

August 4, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about Mason jar air freshener. An inexpensive room deodorizer can easily be made in an attractive canning jar.

Mason Jar Air Freshener

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 25, 2010 Flag

I was always uncomfortable using the bathroom fresheners knowing that they are chemical. I take a laundry spray bottle, fill it with water and about 20 drops of essential oil which I buy in the health food store.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 30, 2011 Flag

Whenever I want to freshen the air in my home I don't like to use anything that smells like any type of food or spice. Smelling foods or spices in the air turns on my hunger pangs! So I use nature smells.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 6, 2011 Flag

Recently I wanted to freshen up my home and had no air freshener on hand. Instead I took a small pot and placed some water in it, added a few drops of vanilla and some ground ginger.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 31, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about can you refill plug-in air fresheners?. You may be able to refill plug-in fresheners with your favorite scents.

Plugged in air freshener

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 8, 2008 Flag

When someone is coming over to my home and I don't have time to air it out and I don't want that obvious smell of an air freshener spray, I just sprinkle a tiny dash of cinnamon on to my electric burner.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 16, 2011 Flag

I had several bottles of body splash and cologne that I didn't care for (gifts from well meaning friends). Instead of throwing them out, I use them as bathroom air freshener and stinky shoe deodorizer.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 7, 2005 Flag

In the winter months the air inside our homes becomes very polluted. Putting vinegar in water and setting it on a woodburning stove puts vinegar in the air to kill bacteria floating in the air. By Jill

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 12, 2012 Flag

After carving your pumpkins, sprinkle some cinnamon inside the pumpkin then light your candle. Your house will smell like you're baking!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 3, 2010 Flag

I love to use a little cinnamon in water boiling on the stove to make my house smell a little homey. Sometimes when someone calls for a unexpected visit to make my house smell like cookies are baking, I just put cinnamon in a pot with water and put it on the stove to boil.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 25, 2015 Flag

You can extend those Renuzit or Air Wick solid air fresheners by placing the scented part in a potpourri pot. I just add both the water and the chunk into a potpourri pot that plugs in. It extends the pretty smell in the house!

Extend Solid Air Freshener

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 13, 2007 Flag

One of the best room fresheners I have used is lemon essential oil. I bought a small bottle for under $5 at the health food store. It seems pricey but a very little bit goes a long way.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 5, 2008 Flag

Use a wash cloth and roll it in a roll. Sew side together and cut out fire flame and attach to the top with straight pins.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 5, 2004 Flag

To freshen the air in your kitchen, especially after cooking fish or cabbage, place a whole, unpeeled lemon in a 300 degree F oven for about 15 minutes, leaving the door slightly open.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 22, 2014 Flag

This is a guide about materials for making car air fresheners. If you are looking for an alternative to the ubiquitous pine tree air freshener of old, try making your own.

flip flop air freshener

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 14, 2008 Flag

Heat 1 cup of water with 1/2 cup of liquid potpourri add 2 packages of gelatin. Heat until boil stirring constantly. Take away from heat and add the other 1/2 cup of potpourri.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 27, 2007 Flag

In a small bowl, combine corn meal or flour, salt, and essential oil. Mix well and add boiling water. Add drops of any food coloring and mix well. When mixture has cooled enough to handle, roll mixture into 2-3 inch balls.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 22, 2011 Flag

When you car auto freshener goes dead, revive it by putting a few drops of concentrated candy flavoring oil onto the freshener pad. Since it is the holiday season, I just put a couple of drops of peppermint oil on one today, and cinnamon oil on one in another vehicle.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 29, 2004 Flag

Freshen your air for pennies and in a more natural way!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 20, 2004 Flag

The cheapest way to remove odors from a room is to place cups of white vinegar in the room. It works 24/7 and all you have to do is refill when it evaporates. I use old candle jars that have been used up so that it does not interfere with the decor of each room.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 26, 2005 Flag

Mix ingredients gently in a large glass jar. Cover with lid and store for six weeks until salt is well seasoned.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 29, 2013 Flag

I have used so many different carpet/room deodorizers in canisters, shake ons, etc. to rid carpets, furniture, and floors, that the smell. It is just about overwhelming and I can't figure out how to get back to basic clean smell. It is getting worse and worse, hot weather with windows open, still bad. Please help. I need to deodorize and get a clean smell.

By PAT s.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I suggest sprinkling some baking soda on the carpet and then vacuuming it up. It is a natural deodorizer without smell. Hope this helps.

February 15, 2012 Flag

I am trying to find an air freshener recipe to make that smells like baby powder. Does anyone know of one?

By Ellen D.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I've used assorted fragrant lotions to make spray air freshener (that I also sometimes use as a body spray) and it's really easy. :-)

Be sure to use at least an 8 ounce bottle because you'll need the extra space for the lotion to blend with the water without any lumps. Place 1 ounce of lotion with 5 ounces of distilled water in a clean spray bottle and shake vigorously. If after mixing you want a bit stonger scent just add another 1/2 ounce or so of lotion and shake vigorously again.

My choice for the baby powder scent would be the good old fashioned wonderful smelling Johnson & Johnson Baby Lotion - Yum! As a matter of fact I have some on hand and you've prompted me to now use it for the next bottle of spray ;-)

October 15, 2009 Flag

I am looking for suggestions for homemade air fresheners.

By Bob M. from Ogunquit, ME

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I submitted this as a tip a little while ago but I don't think it's been posted yet and there's lots of good, natural ideas. Hope it's helpful to you :-)

Natural Home Sweeteners

Winter is coming and with that the windows and doors will be closed up tight and odors trapped inside. Here are some ideas to sweeten the smell of your home without harmful chemicals.

Place a small sprinkling of ground cinnamon or ground clove on an electric stove burner and turn on the heat to the very lowest setting possible.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Use a small piece of tinfoil, turn up the edges and pour a teaspoon of vanilla on top and place the foil in the oven. Turn off oven and prop the door open a bit.

Place 1 to 2 teaspoons vanilla or vanilla extract in small cups or bowls around the home.

Mix small amounts of lemon juice or vinegar and baking soda together and place in small cups or bowls around the home.

To abolish cooking odors simmer 1 tablespoon vinegar with one cup of water in a small pan.

Simmer your favorite spices, citrus rinds or fresh pine needles in a small pan of water on the stove. Experiment by mixing and matching. Also, instead of throwing out stale dated apple, cranberry or orange juice, just simmer in a small pan on the stove. Be sure to set a timer to remind you that it's time to add more water!

In a spray bottle, add several drops of your favorite essential oil to water. Shake to mix and mist the air.

Add a few drops of your favorite essential oil to a cotton ball and place around the home.

Place a couple of drops of your favorite essential oil on a light bulb. Be sure to only do this on a bulb that is turned of and is cool! Once you turn on the light on the heat from the bulb will slowly release the essential oil in the air.

Place a couple of drops of your favorite essential oil inside your cardboard toilet paper roll and the scent will be released every time someone removes toilet paper. Place springs of fresh eucalyptus around your home. And don't forget fresh flowers ;-)

December 21, 2005 Flag

I have your recipe for gel air freshener. Now I need your recipe for aromatic room fresheners, made with alcohol (vodka for one).

Thank you,
Mary from Sicklerville, NJ

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I usually make the homemade fabreeze and spray around the house. In a spray bottle mix 1 cup frabric softener 1 cup of rubbing alcohol and then fill bottle with water and spray around the house. It smells great and you can use the fabric softener that you like best!

January 30, 2006 Flag

Does anyone know how to make something similar to the "AirWick" type of air freshener?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning Cleaning Supply Recipes Air FreshenersSeptember 19, 2011
Plugged in air freshener
Can You Refill Plug-in Air Fresheners?
Finished Air Freshener
Mason Jar Air Freshener
flip flop air freshener
Making Car Air Fresheners
Air Ionizer and Purifier for Allergies
Improving Indoor Air Quality
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 17, 2017 at 2:18:14 PM on 10.0.0.74 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.