Use a Tube Sock on Your Rolling Pin

For rolling out any kind of dough, I use a clean or new tube sock on your rolling pin and flour it. Also get heavy duty cotton duck cloth to roll out on, flour this as well.

By dna53 from Mid MI

Could you explain why you do this - what's the advantage? My rolling pin washes so easily - a sock would be far more difficult to clean. Am I missing the point?

I think I am not understanding why to do this too :-( I just flour my roller and wash it with a soapy dish rag afterwards. Plus, I just flour the rolling surface and wipe and then wash it down too.

If you roll your pastry between 2 sheets of cling film, you don't need to use flour.

I have been baking for 40 years and have never had a problem with any wooden rolling pin. I use it and put it in the dishwasher then it is ready to use again. There used to be this fad that you should never wash your rolling pin. People just used them then wrapped them in the pastry cloth until they wanted to use it again. After fighting cock roaches for a while they went back to washing the cloth and rolling pin.

Using a "sock" on a rolling pin is very common and you will find grandmothers and farm bakers have been using the ribbed-top of a tube sock as a solution to sticky dough all the way back into the 1940s (based upon watching my grandmother and mother and aunts hauling out their trusty rolling pins back then all clad with a sock and attacking the mound of dough they had created).

It seems most who have responded also marked the comment about using a "sock" on their rolling pin with the old "Thumbs Down". I had to smile. They simply don't know what they are talking about. It's a very old "country-cook", tried and true, dough preparation practice.

Rolling pin "sleeves" are still available for purchase anywhere baking supplies are sold (and online). Given that they are still for available for sale seems to indicate the practice has not died out with the change in generations since my grandmother, mother, and aunts :)

If you own a silicon (or even stone) rolling pin a sleeve may not be necessary but if you have one of the older style wooden ones - they are a great help with reducing dough sticking to the roller. Just as you would flour a "bare" rolling pin to reduce sticking - you also flour the "sock" (should be thin, the ribbed top) or a commercially produced "sleeve".

The difference is that the sleeve (or sock) holds the flour better than bare wood so dough sticks to the sleeved rolling pin much less. So all of you long time bakers who have never used a rolling pin sleeve - try one. You will not want to be without one thereafter :)

Rolling Dough
Rolling Dough Tips and Tricks
Food and Recipes Food Tips BakingDecember 2, 2009
Crochet Rug
Keeping a Crochet Project from Rolling Up
Wind Yarn with a Hand Mixer
Rolling Up Leftover Yarn
Striped Sock
Using A Sock as a Volumizing Hair Bun
Putting Cream Back Into a Tube
Putting Cream Back Into a Tube