Making Frozen French Fries

This is a guide about making frozen french fries. French fries are very popular with kids, but can turn out soggy, not crisp, if not baked or fried correctly. This guide contains tips for making tasty frozen french fries.

Filter Sort

Tip: Seasoning Fries

When making french fries in the oven, sprinkle the fries with different seasonings to give your family different varieties of flavors. Make some lemon pepper flavored, sprinkle some with garlic powder, maybe some with Cajun seasoning. I got this idea when my husband decided he didn't like the way I flavored the whole pan. Each row I season differently. Try it!

By Terri

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Making Frozen French Fries

By Diana 91 30

You can make frozen French fried potatoes at home. The mealy type potato is best. Use mature potatoes you have stored for at least 30 days. Potatoes with a higher sugar content will brown excessively and will be less attractive.

To make frozen French fries, pare and cut potatoes lengthwise into 3/8 inch strips. Rinse in cold water to remove surface starch. Dry thoroughly on a towel.

Fry strips in deep fat or oil at 360 degrees about 4 minutes or until cooked, but not browned. Remove from fat and drain on absorbent paper. Do not overload the French fry basket. If you do, the fat temperature will drop and the potatoes will absorb more fat. Use just enough potatoes to cover the bottom of the basket.

Cool French fried strips to room temperature and pack in cartons or other airtight containers. Seal, freeze and store at 0 degrees or lower. Homemade French fries have a short storage life, so use them within 2 to 3 months.

When you use them, fry in deep fat without thawing. For skillet crisping, brown the French fries in one tablespoon of oil. A 475 F oven may be used to finish cooking and browning.

For hashed browned potatoes, prepare as you would to serve. Brown only to the brown-and-serve stage, cool and package for freezing. Store frozen for one to 2 months. When you want to use them, finish cooking and browning as for regular preparation.

Source: Source: NDSU Extension Service Nutrition Specialists

By Diana from Prospect, KY

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Season Frozen French Fries

By Ron 181

To spice up frozen french fries, open the bag and add salt, pepper, paprika and garlic powder into the bag. Give the bag a quick shake and bake. The fries are coated evenly and taste better than the plain ones. It's fast and easy. If the bag is a resealable one, wash the bag and it can be reused for something else later.

By fossil1955 from Cortez, CO

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Making Precooked Frozen Chips

Can anyone tell me how to make the perfect precooked frozen chips? I have tried everything, but can't get it to work perfectly. I want to prepare about 20 kg at a time. I need a step by step recipe

I stay on a very remote place and only visit the shops once a month.

By Deon

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By animalmcburger 1 16 Flag

Do you mean potato fries?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Making Frozen French Fries

By lorna quammie 1

Can I soak the fries in cold water with a little brown sugar before frying and then pack to be frozen?

By Lorna O

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Precook Frozen Foods In Microwave

My son loves frozen chicken nuggets and french fries. I place them in the microwave for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes to take the chill off and finish crisping them up in the toaster oven. Otherwise it just takes too long in the toaster oven.

By Jenny

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Pan of french fries in the oven.
Food and Recipes Freezing VegetablesSeptember 25, 2011
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Freezing Potatoes, Potatoes on white background
Freezing Potatoes
French Fries
Recipes Using French Fries
Oven Fries
Oven Fries Recipes
Homemade French Fries
Homemade French Fries Recipes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 13, 2016 at 8:32:13 AM on 10.0.0.145 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutionsQuestions
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings