Using Frozen Zucchini

I followed the directions on this site to steam-blanch my grated zucchini for freezing. Now it appears that I have about half the amount of fresh grated zucchini I started with.

Will this affect the amount of zucchini I use in my recipes? For example, if it calls for 1 cup should I consider the steam-blanched zucchini as 2 cups since it seems to have shrunk in size?

By Mary from Meridian, ID

1 cup will equal 1 cup in any cooking or baking recipe. Recipes are based on current volume.

Yes it is the same all you have to do is squeeze out the water and your good to go!

December 10, 2012 Flag

I used frozen zucchini the other day and drained the liquid and my bread did not turn out the same as if it was fresh. It's dry inside and the outside doesn't even have the same look as when it does with the fresh. Did I maybe drain to much of the liquid off?

By C. L.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I grate zucchini to freeze for later use in breads/cakes etc. I always add the liquid from the package. If the liquid is figured into the original recipe, it should be used even if the liquid has separated from the squash. My recipes turn out perfectly with the added liquid.

August 12, 2012 Flag

My refrigerator accidently froze my zucchini. Now what?

With the price of food, I'd still use them. Since they'l be somewhat mushy when defrosted, puree them and put in a casserole, soup, smoothie, roast (gravy), spaghetti sauce, or where ever you can hide them. If you have too many for a meal, keep some frozen for the next meal.

September 21, 2010 Flag

I have quite a lot of shredded frozen zucchini. When I use the zucchini after it's been frozen and then defrosted for cakes or brownies, do I drain off the liquid? That liquid would have been in the zucchini in its natural state, as if I was using it fresh, but I am unsure if I need to drain it off before using in a recipe after it has been defrosted.

Thanks for any help on this.
Sandie from Missouri

Using Frozen Zucchini

I had the same problem several years back. I didn't know what to do, either. After trying it both ways, I chose to drain it. The recipes just worked better after draining the water off the thawed zucchini. I didn't shred all my zucchini upon freezing, some I cut in rounds. I'd drain them and dip in beaten egg and dredge through a seasoned flour mix and fry. These turned out beautifully. (06/29/2005)

By badwater

Using Frozen Zucchini

Yes, drain it, or use the liquid as part of the liquid in the recipe. (06/29/2005)

Using Frozen Zucchini

I, too, was unsure of what to do with the juice, but I did drain it and it produces enough moisture when cooking with it. I used mine to make bread and a zucchini cake recipe that I have. Mmmmm good! (06/29/2005)

By teatimelady

RE How to freeze Zuccini

How do you freeze zucchini? Thanks.

Editor's Note:

Here is a ThriftyFun article on freezing zucchini: (08/04/2008)

By Louise

Using Frozen Zucchini
Food and Recipes Freezing VegetablesSeptember 21, 2010
Zucchini Bread
Freezing Zucchini Bread
Chocolate Zucchini Cake
Chocolate Zucchini Cake Recipes
Zucchini Bread Recipes
Zucchini Bread Recipes
Zucchini Salad Recipes
Zucchini Salad Recipes