Washer Not Draining or Spinning

I have an 11 year old GE washer that has stopped draining properly or spinning on the cycle I use the most. However, it still works on the quick wash cycle. Any ideas what might be wrong with it?

By 1Buckley from Marietta, GA

I have a basic Maytag washing machine and it started spinning out less and less water with more and more water being left in the bowl. I got my husband to pull the hose apart down the bottom and inside was a build up of fluff and grime, that would not let the water out, worked like a dream once it was removed.

Check your warranty it should still be under warranty.

February 10, 2011 Flag

My Kenmore washer will not drain or spin after the wash cycle. I have checked the coupling and it is intact and I removed the hoses attached to the pump and they are clear. How can I tell if the pump is broken?

By frugalangel from TX

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 15, 2010 Flag

My Whirlpool washer will not drain or spin. Anyone have any ideas?

By Jeanette from FL

Answers:

Washer Not Draining or Spinning

This just recently happened to my washer; and my answer assumes yours is a top-loader also. There's a little post on the door that, when closed, lines up with a hole on the main body of the washer. It's for safety. If the post doesn't poke all the way in and push down, the washer won't drain/spin. My door somehow got a little bent, and so it didn't work the way it should. To test if that's it, get the washer going and with the door up, somehow hold the button down (in the hole of the main body). It should start to drain at the correct time. If it does, then that's what the problem is.

The way I fixed it was to remove the 1/4-inch thick rubber washer from the stick portion. That rubber washer was not allowing the door to settle all the way down (and thus the stick didn't poke deep enough into the button). (07/18/2010)

By Joanne

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
In These Guides
Top Loading Washer
Top Loading Washer Not Draining
A repairman looking at a washing machine.
Repairing a Washer That Won't Drain or Spin
Home and Garden Repair Appliances Clothing WashersFebruary 10, 2011
washing machine
Washer Not Spinning Properly
Front Loading Washer
Front Loading Washer Not Spinning
Windshield wiper tip on windshield
Homemade Windshield Washer Fluid
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 17, 2017 at 8:38:54 AM on 10.0.2.150 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.