Microwave Start Button Does Not Work

Sometimes the reason for the start button on your microwave not working can be detected though some careful examination of the latch. Otherwise the choice comes down to repairing it or buying a new one. This is a guide about microwave start button does not work.

February 27, 2011 Flag

I have a Sanyo microwave, EM-S7595S, and it does not start. All the control panels are working, the inside light is working, but when I push the start button it does not start.

When I close the door, the inside light also turns off. Does that mean that the door is closed properly? While inspecting the latches I noticed that there is one bottom latch. Is it supposed to have a latch on the top as well?

What else could go wrong. Please advice.

By Shah from Ontario

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This might not be your problem, but who knows? I had a similar situation several years ago. Everything seemed to be working till I shut the door and pressed start, then nothing. I asked my son to check it out as he is/was an electrician. Sure 'nuff he found the problem. I had a loaf of bread on top of the microwave. The plastic opening was hanging over the edge. When I shut the door a bit of the plastic was in the way, blocking the connection. Moved the bread and all worked fine. I would check to see if anything however small is blocking the connection.

My start button did not work, after reading some of the answers I checked around the latch and sure enough there was a small piece of plastic of some sorts hung on the latch hook plate. Cleaning it with a Qtip fix the problem right away. Thank you.

February 27, 2011 Flag

I had a Sharp over the range microwave put in in 2005. Everything works, but the start button. The lights and fans work fine. I called for a tech; they charge $75 for just coming to the door. I am better off buying a new one, unless someone can tell me how to fix it. Any suggestions anyone? Thank you.

By Jill from Lake View, NY

Answers:

Microwave Start Button Does Not Work

I once had a microwave like that and I found the door latch spring broken. The door latch, in most cases must close a switch and this tells the microwave that the door is closed.

As you know they will not work with the door open. A good handy man should be able to check and see if the latch springs are good. (01/20/2010)

By olddog1213

Microwave Start Button Does Not Work

Definitely don't bother paying for a repair person and definitely 'do not' pay extra for a warranty on a new microwave because that's just a way for the company to collect extra money for a service that might not be available/in business after four years anyway. (01/21/2010)

By Deeli

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
person operating microwave
Repairing a Microwave
Home and Garden Repair Appliances MicrowaveFebruary 3, 2017
A carved turkey breast.
Cooking a Turkey Breast in the Microwave
An open microwave oven, with a mug inside.
Adjusting Microwave Door Hinges
Quiche Being Served on White Plate
Microwave Quiche Recipes
Microwave Says "Child" On Display
Microwave Says 'Child' on Display
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 21, 2017 at 10:11:08 PM on 10.0.1.138 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.