Microwave Start Button Does Not Work

I have a Sanyo microwave, EM-S7595S, and it does not start. All the control panels are working, the inside light is working, but when I push the start button it does not start.

When I close the door, the inside light also turns off. Does that mean that the door is closed properly? While inspecting the latches I noticed that there is one bottom latch. Is it supposed to have a latch on the top as well?

What else could go wrong. Please advice.

By Shah from Ontario

This might not be your problem, but who knows? I had a similar situation several years ago. Everything seemed to be working till I shut the door and pressed start, then nothing. I asked my son to check it out as he is/was an electrician. Sure 'nuff he found the problem. I had a loaf of bread on top of the microwave. The plastic opening was hanging over the edge. When I shut the door a bit of the plastic was in the way, blocking the connection. Moved the bread and all worked fine. I would check to see if anything however small is blocking the connection.

February 27, 2011 Flag

I had a Sharp over the range microwave put in in 2005. Everything works, but the start button. The lights and fans work fine. I called for a tech; they charge $75 for just coming to the door. I am better off buying a new one, unless someone can tell me how to fix it. Any suggestions anyone? Thank you.

By Jill from Lake View, NY

Microwave Start Button Does Not Work

I once had a microwave like that and I found the door latch spring broken. The door latch, in most cases must close a switch and this tells the microwave that the door is closed.

As you know they will not work with the door open. A good handy man should be able to check and see if the latch springs are good. (01/20/2010)

By olddog1213

Microwave Start Button Does Not Work

Definitely don't bother paying for a repair person and definitely 'do not' pay extra for a warranty on a new microwave because that's just a way for the company to collect extra money for a service that might not be available/in business after four years anyway. (01/21/2010)

By Deeli

person operating microwave
Repairing a Microwave
Home and Garden Repair Appliances MicrowaveFebruary 27, 2011
A carved turkey breast.
Cooking a Turkey Breast in the Microwave
Quiche Being Served on White Plate
Microwave Quiche Recipes
Photo of a microwave oven.
Repairing a Microwave That Won't Heat