My Cat Is Always Hungry

I have a male cat that is only 2 years. He is always hungry for food. He gets fed well, but when no one is looking, he steals food. He jumps all over the kitchen looking for food, breaks whatever is in the kitchen and knocks everything on the floor. I don't know what to do about this situation, he's driving me crazy. Please help.

By Doris from Philadelphia

You may want to check with your vet. It sounds like he could have a tape worm or something? Have a spray bottle of water, and spray him when he jumps on the counter. Also, I read somewhere that if you lay tin foil on the counters, they won't go up there. Another thought is that maybe he is eating out of boredom. Good luck, it sounds as though you need it!

Hello, Please take him to his veterinarian. As young as he is, there could be a medical problem that needs to be addressed.

Is he neutered? that may help. The other suggestion about boredom is a good possiblity, too, get him climbing poles and something.

I have a 2 1/2 year old cat that seems hungry all the time. She eats a 1/2 can of Fancy Feast in the morning and has dry food out all day. At dinner she kind of begs. Every time I go to the counter where her food is she cries and put her paws up on the door of the cabinet where the food is.

She is not under weight. I give her treats and catnip toy mice to play with. She throws them around and chases them. She has a lot of energy running around the house and up and down basement steps.

Does anyone have any ideas on what might be going on with her?

By Joan from PA

Answers:

My Cat Is Always Hungry

Your cat is probably just begging and wanting food because it is there and because it knows if it begs it will get more food. (01/18/2010)

By martinjames40

My Cat Is Always Hungry

I think you should ask a vet about this. Whether it's a behavioral problem, or something more serious, should be determined by a professional. Then you'll have some idea of what to do about the problem. (01/18/2010)

By WildIrish

My Cat Is Always Hungry

Your post made me chuckle. I have a cat that begs. Somehow I never expected a cat to beg like the dogs. Timmy climbs up the back of my bathrobe when I am standing at the counter. Then he sits there looking at me like he had been starving for a month. Trust me he does not look like he has been starving for a month. But he does love his food. (01/19/2010)

By Lizzyanny

My Cat Is Always Hungry

Hi Joan from PA, just a thought-you might want to check her teeth/mouth. If they are hurting, they won't always show it, survival thing, dry food hurts if their mouth hurts, especially if they're big size pieces. Hope this helps, but more so hope she's OK. (01/19/2010)

By PamelaW

My Cat Is Always Hungry

I have a cat whose name (given by us) is Ever Hopeful. She came as a rescue cat with the name of Baby, but everhopeful is what she is, everhopeful for more food. I know that she had to compete for food when she was young. Behaviors like this stay over time, and even though she knows that the food (wet) comes out in the afternoon and there's dry food all the time, she still hopes that every time one of us goes near the kitchen that she will be fed. She's maybe 8 years old and I've had her for a year and a half. (01/23/2010)

By tennesue

I have a cat problem, My cat is always. He was born a stray, and "adopted" (until he was about 8 months old and started spraying) by the people who lived in the same apartments as my daughter. They kicked him out of the house and refused to neuter him even though my daughter and I offered to drive him to the vet for them. His owners moved away and he lived in the apartment parking lot for about 4 months, my daughter feeding him when he came to her door.

After his owners moved and left him, my daughter had him neutered, wormed and put Advantage on him for fleas and made sure he would use the litter box so I would take him home and adopt him. Well, she talked me into it and I brought him home and totally fell in love with him. We think he's going to be 2 years old next spring.

He was so skinny when I first got him, and I'd never had a pet before so I gave him probably twice the food he needed. When he hurt his paw, I took him to the vet and the vet said he is very healthy, but he needs to lose weight and to cut down his food intake by 20%.

Since I've cut his food intake, all he does is beg constantly. He now gets into the garbage (to lick my old lasagna TV dinners) and we've had to lock up his dry food or he climbs to the very top of the shelf and gets in it. He is always hungry. I feed him a high quality dry food in the morning and a low fat, high protein wet food before bedtime. But no sooner do I feed him, but he starts begging. (Meow, Meow, Meow) He even wakes me up at night for food, which I refuse to give him because the Vet said he could get diabetes or other health problems.

Is he hungry all the time because he remembers living in the parking lot, or are some cats, just hungry all the time?

Cyinda from Seattle, WA

Answers:

My Cat Is Always Hungry

My first thought is that you kitty has picked up a case of worms which unfortunately they can do easily. We have had cats for 20+ years and some of the behavior can be attributed to boredom or neediness. "Mom I need you to play or love me and feed me please."

A lot more serious are the health considerations, underlying diabetes or thyroid problems. With the thyroid their metabolism is jacked up off the scale and they are constantly hungry and will eventually start to break down their fat and lose weight, because they need it to just have enough nutrition to get through the day. Have a thyroid test done, not too expensive and not every vet considers this. We learned the hard way with a cat that almost died.

Another consideration is the type of food. Growing kitties need extra calories from food that is easily digestible. We feed dry food and supplement with tuna packed in water about every other day. Not oil, but water and it mixes with the dry and makes a nice meal. We also give our cats reverse osmosis distilled water which is available at Walmart for about .64 cents a gallon. We do this because one of our cats had a terrible problem with kidney stones and we found out that a culprit was the minerals in water. She is 6 years kidney problem free and is a breed that is renown for kidney problems.

Good luck with your problem and if your vet can't help you consider switching vets. Not every veterinarian is a "cat" person, we learned that they hard way also. You might consider going to a pet chat forum and posting there where others may have had the same problem. It couldn't hurt to ask. (12/31/2006)

By Darlene

My Cat Is Always Hungry

I leave my cats' food out all of the time. They eat what they want and then that's it. I have five of them and mine don't seem hungry all of the time by keeping food out for them. Also, my cats are not over weight either. My vet said that because they have access to food all of the time that they know its there when they want it.

Robin (01/03/2007)

By Robin

My Cat Is Always Hungry

I'm not an expert on this subject, but part of the problem with a cat who seems to be always hungry might be that as a stray it was hungry all the time. We adopted our cat, Nellie, about five years ago at the age of about two years from a local rescue group. We know nothing of her beginning, but wanted her anyway. She can be sound asleep then wake up meowing and run to her food as if she thinks another cat is after it, that could be the problem with your stray. The cat may not be "hungry" but is eating the food before another cat gets it. (04/28/2008)

By fasu

My Cat Is Always Hungry

I too have a very hungry 10 month old cat. We adopted him from a shelter and he was a stray. A big thing with male cats is once they are neutered, particularly shortly afterward, they have a tendency to want to eat a lot more. I have had several cats and with the males, this is always the case. You just have to be really strong and not feed him, get a bin he can't get into, keep all food in cupboards. It's a hassle I know, or if you have a door to your kitchen keep it closed apart from dinner times. As for any older cats with sudden changes in eaten habits, get a diabetes test done. It's very common in cats. But with all cats worm yearly. Good luck. (02/05/2009)

By Michelle

I have 4 indoor cats; 2 male and 2 female. The 2 female and the 1 male are fixed. The other male is 3 months old. I feed the cats twice a day, in the morning and evening. My problem is they want to eat constantly. If I go out in the kitchen they are there wanting to be fed. If my hubby comes in from work, they are there wanting to be fed. The male that is fixed will eat so much he will throw-up. Does anyone have a clue what is going on with these cats. The male will also get into the trash and turn it over hunting for food. Help please, they are driving me crazy.

Pam from Lincoln, DE

Answers:

My Cats Are Always Hungry

My kitty is almost as bad. I think they are bored. I've started giving her only half the amount I normally would in the morning and at night and spread the other half out over the day. A half dozen kibbles in her dish seems to satisfy her during the day when she wants a treat. (11/23/2005)

By wendee

My Cats Are Always Hungry

I did wet food in the morning and evening and left dry food all day. They only eat like that because they know they have to wait all day to eat again. If food is left for them after a while they will trust it to always be there and wont gorge themselves. Also for your trash, wash every can or bag that has a food smell as you use it. If its something that cant be washed such as the meat packets then take them outside immediately. The thing is they wont just eat something thats OK for them to eat out of the trash. They will eat the styrofoam that meat comes in and other undesirable things. HTH (11/24/2005)

By christi

My Cats Are Always Hungry

I have 4 cats myself, and one is a little beggar too. I checked in my vet book, and it says this is a common thing. If you feed more than one together, it can be a competition, they may be bored, or they might just like the taste. Some cats and dogs will eat until they retch. I have to feed my dogs separately, as two of them will eat everything in sight. Hope this relieves your mind, just try not to overfeed. (11/24/2005)

By Lori

My Cats Are Always Hungry

How much are you feeding them? Four cats need quite a lot of food. Maybe they are acting hungry because they are simply not being given enough food. Try feeding them more and making sure they have food and water available at all times. (11/24/2005)

My Cats Are Always Hungry

You don't say whether you are talking about dry or wet food, but cats are not like dogs that you feed 2-3 times a day... dry food (any kind as long as they like it) and water should be available ALL THE TIME since cats will graze all day. It they are only getting fed twice a day then it makes sense that they are driving you crazy. If I happen to be gone when my cats run out of food, when I return and fill it, I have one that will eat so fast (as though the old fat cat is starving or something!) that within a few minutes she is vomiting the entire meal back up. They are such creatures of habit. If they are only begging for wet food then you need to pick one time each day to give them some. Stick with it and they will eventually quit begging all day. And if you keep it to about a big teaspoon full at a time then you won't have any of them barfing it back up no matter how fast it was eaten. I have 2 and one of them will eat her wet food real fast so she can try to steal some of her sisters food. I have to actually stand there and watch to keep it from happening. Hope some of this helps. (11/25/2005)

By Susan

My Cats Are Always Hungry

I agree with Annie - it might be the type of food you are feeding them. My cat use to whine and acted like he was hungry all the time until I changed his food - then he was fine. (11/27/2005)

By

My Cats Are Always Hungry

I would ask your vet as well.

If you try all the various food tricks listed on here, and it is still the same I would have the vet check for parasites.

(12/20/2005)

My Cats Are Always Hungry

Be aware that certain foods make some cats hungrier. If there are no parasites and your vet has no clue, try switching (gradually) to another brand food. Know what's in the ingredients. The more meat is usually the better.

My future-husband's cat used to be rather thin and peed a lot. Other than the peeing, she had a rather asymptomatic urinary infection. After taking care of that, the vet recommended a low-sodium cat food to prevent kidney stones. The food has turned this cat into a raving food-lunatic! Diet food and senior food is rather famous for this. It must taste really good.

But anyway, we're deciding what we'll do about this. We don't seem to even have the same cat anymore. Never wants to go outside, just wants to eat eat eat. Runs back and forth to the food bowl whenever we get up. But we're not feeding her more than about a half-cup a day. (10/17/2006)

By marijke

My Cats Are Always Hungry

be careful, because constant hunger in cats can often be a sign of an underlying health problem, e.g. tapeworms. (12/13/2006)

By Sian