Cat Peeing on Clothing

Sometimes cats choose places to relieve themselves that are not outside or the cat box. This guide is about cat peeing on clothing.

September 21, 2016 Flag

Why does my female cat urinate on my daughter's clothing but not on my son's?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

She is attempting to bond with your daughter. She is blending their scents. In a strange way it is really a compliment. If you build her confidence and she does build a solid bond with your daughter it should stop.

December 17, 2015 Flag

I just brought home a 5 month old cat who isn't fixed yet. It's been two days since I brought him home and he's only used the bathroom 3 times since he's been here, once in the litter box and the other times on my bed/clothes. Earlier today is the time he used the litter box, but only because I closed him off in the bathroom while my boyfriend and I weren't home.

He just started eating this morning and because he used the litter box I thought he was making progress. Am I freaking out too soon? Is there anything I can do to speed along the process so he doesn't have to be locked in the bathroom at all times? He came from a house with a lot of animals and didn't seem to have any problems there. Please help! I've grown very attached and would hate to have to get rid of him.

We have 2 male cats. Both are neutered.

Also both have been declawed"front paws".

The one cat we have had about 3 years the other about 9 months. The cat we had for 3 years has started peeing on laundry as well. Which is becoming a big problem!

What should i do?

Also why is it they say declawing is wrong and inhumane but neutering is just fine?

Im sure they are both very painful and if it is to be a inside cat only. I feel they are both important!

Since I moved my cat will not stop misbehaving by not listeing and peeing on my cloths. We have lived togeather for over a year and he is two laundry loads away from being thrown out the house. I love animals and I love him but I just cannot handle it.

June 11, 2016 Flag

My cat is a year old and every time I do laundry I have to keep it away from my cat or else she will pee on it. Even if it's been put away in a drawer she will pee on it if she can. Once it's been in the drawer for about a week she doesn't care any more. What is wrong with her? Could it be the smell of the detergent making her pee on the clean clothes? Her litter box stays clean and she doesn't try to pee anywhere else. Only freshly cleaned clothes. Is there a way to deter her from doing this?

Try switching to unscented laundry detergent and dryer sheets.

April 8, 2015 Flag

Clean or dirty clothes, my 6 year old female cat pees on them. She never used to do this until after she had a stroke in February 2013. I've tried different litters, boxes, different locations of the box, removing access to clothes, towels, etc. The only thing I haven't done is have her checked for a UTI, but she doesn't show signs of it. She's a chatty cat by nature so her constant meowing isn't anything unusual. The only other thing I can possibly think of is I have a 16 year old male cat whose health is in decline, he's nearing the end of his life and I think maybe she's refusing to use the litter box because of him. She avoids him, growls and hisses at him so maybe she's sensed his decline over the last 2 years and has been avoiding anything he touches. I don't know. I'm really upset because I'm already going to lose one little sweetheart to his aging, I don't want to lose another to something that I see as preventable and fixable. Any advise is appreciated. Thank you.

By Erin

You should have two separate litterboxes, one that he cannot easily get to. It should be covered or shielded from his view.

Also, you say she shows no signs of a UTI but constant urination would be one of those signs. It is also a sign of diabetes. Please take the cat to a vet to rule those out.

April 17, 2015 Flag

I live with my roommate and her cat, and this cat has it out for me. She deliberately pees on my stuff. Even last night she came up stared me in the eye and popped a squat on the blanket I was under and let a rip. How do I get her to stop?

By Brittany A. from Houston, TX

I have 2 suggestions....

1. Get a new roommate

2. Keep a spray bottle of cold water on hand and each time the cat does something naughty spray him/her in the face. It won't take many times to get the message across to the cat and the cold water won't hurt the cat.

Move. The cat is not going to stop, and your roomie probably won't get rid of her.

When we got married and my husband moved in with me, my female cat acted like she was over the moon with my husband, until we left for work. Then she used his stuff for a littler box. so we got all of his stuff unpacked, washed, and put away, and she took her revenge in a more creative way. She started peeing in the furnace/a.c. vents. Kitty had to go sad to say.

February 15, 2005 Flag

My cat seems to pee only on my dirty clothes. Any idea's on why? She is almost 2 yrs old, and her litter box is kept clean. Please help with any ideas of how to make her go back to using her litter box. No changes in the household. Debbie

My cat only does that when she has a urinary tract infection. Which had gotten too costly to keep taking her to the vet. So I keep her on acidophilus a 1/2 a tab or 1/2 a capsule a day for maintaining it. But When it is a full blown infection I do 1 tab or one capsule a day . Some cats are more prone than others and I buy water by the gallon for her because our water has too much line and calcium deposits in it.You can find this product in the vitamin section at a large department store or at your local pharmacy.And another note to remember is my cat has the temptation to go on those welcome mats or those utility mats that are made of all black rubber. I think she smells the chemicals in it and the patrolium they us to mold the rubber. I am told that cats hate orange peels too. animals have their quirks and personality flaws too. My cat will go on newspapers too I think it is because of the oder that the ink gives off, I don't spank her for that because it is nice to fall back on the newspaper when I forget to remember to get cat litter, ooops! cher

My cat has been peeing in the potted plants as well as the bin in which we store clean socks. Not only does he pee in the sock bin but then he sleeps there too. Sometimes I open the washroom closet and the cat has been sleeping on the towels all night. He has a bed and usually sleeps there.

February 10, 2011 Flag

How do you stop your cats from peeing on your clean and dirty clothing?

By Karri

catastrofy, With all sincerity and respect I am curious just what has been written here that is not an overall helpful tip and what has been written here that is a criticism other than by you saying the people who do put their things away must have the time on their hands to do so? Just to let you know, most of my working years I worked 60 to 80 hours a week but I always found an extra fifteen seconds to put clothes in the dirty clothes and ten or fifteen minutes to fold and put the clean clothes away so my kitty cats wouldn't be tempted to wee wee on them. What might be helpful for you is to use hampers with lids instead of laundry baskets since you don't have the closet space. If you can't afford actual hampers you can use the tall plastic kitchen trash cans that have a flipping lid on it. That's what I used when I owned a salon for sixteen years to put the dirty towels, capes and client gowns in. You can get them in assorted colors and they hold up for a lot more years than laundry baskets do, too. :-)

I apologize if you took that personally, Deeli. I have an 8 year old, a 3 year old, a 2 year old, and a set of 1 year old twins living with me for a few months. They are foster children. I don't have an extra two minutes, even! Your suggestion about the trash cans with the flip tops is an excellent idea! Thank you...I never thought of that!

July 16, 2010 Flag

My cat is 2 yrs old and has just started peeing on our clothing and our bed. Her litter pan stays clean at all times, but she insists on using our stuff to pee on. I punish her by showing her what she did wrong and then putting her in her cage for a time out. Why is that?

By Shaby from St. Louis, MO

My cat did the same thing. It is a marking behavior showing the world she owns (loves) you. I don't leave laundry on the floor anymore. Be sure to have your cat checked for a urinary tract infection any time she abandons the litter box. You can also try a product called Comfort Zone with feliway. Where you spray it the cat will not mark. Good luck. She is a beautiful cat.

Agree with the posters who've said that maybe a vet visit is a good idea, also had a cat who only did that when he had a UTI. Putting her in the cage for a time-out really won't work; doing that after the fact only confuses them and can prompt more unusual behaviors.

June 1, 2015 Flag

My cat just started doing this. She is peeing on my clothes and not on my husband's things. She only started this when she was in heat. She has never done this before. When she is in heat she wants to be with my husband more and will walk around the house and cry at the top of her lungs. Why did she start this?

Please have your cat spayed. She wants to mate with another cat and have kittens that people will promise to care for but may just end up dumping in the pound later. Unless your cat is a pedigree show cat with papers there is really no reason to breed her, so go ahead and make that appointment.

January 7, 2014 Flag

My cat, Kida, is a twelve, almost thirteen, year old female cat. I've had her since she was a month old, along with her brother. Both of the cats are strictly indoor cats, and their front nails are clipped.

White and caramel cat lying on a plaid blanket.

Load More
Pets Pet OdorsMay 22, 2013
Dog Standing on Carpet
Preventing a Dog From Peeing on Carpet and Rugs
Tabby cat face gazing up
Cat Peeing in the House
Litter Box
Cat Peeing Outside Litter Box
guilty dog
Dog Peeing and Pooping Inside
🎄