Cat Peeing on Clothing

Sometimes cats choose places to relieve themselves that are not outside or the cat box. This guide is about cat peeing on clothing.

Cat getting into a laundry basket.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

June 11, 2016 Flag

My cat is a year old and every time I do laundry I have to keep it away from my cat or else she will pee on it. Even if it's been put away in a drawer she will pee on it if she can. Once it's been in the drawer for about a week she doesn't care any more. What is wrong with her? Could it be the smell of the detergent making her pee on the clean clothes? Her litter box stays clean and she doesn't try to pee anywhere else. Only freshly cleaned clothes. Is there a way to deter her from doing this?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try switching to unscented laundry detergent and dryer sheets.

December 17, 2015 Flag

I just brought home a 5 month old cat who isn't fixed yet. It's been two days since I brought him home and he's only used the bathroom 3 times since he's been here, once in the litter box and the other times on my bed/clothes. Earlier today is the time he used the litter box, but only because I closed him off in the bathroom while my boyfriend and I weren't home.

He just started eating this morning and because he used the litter box I thought he was making progress. Am I freaking out too soon? Is there anything I can do to speed along the process so he doesn't have to be locked in the bathroom at all times? He came from a house with a lot of animals and didn't seem to have any problems there. Please help! I've grown very attached and would hate to have to get rid of him.

He's nervous and marking his territory. Getting him neutered will probably help.

Put your clothes away or in a hamper and close the door to your room and in fact all other rooms that have doors while the cat is out of the bathroom so he can investigate his new territory. The quickly he learns he is safe there the faster this will go.

When you adopt a pet, the animal becomes part of your family and you are responsible for providing love, proper environment, medicare care and nutrition. Pets have emotions, just like you, and need time to learn and adjust to new environments. A pet is not a stuffed animal that you just "get rid of" if there is a problem.

Your new kitty is in a completely new situation and needs to explore and become familiar with his new house, the people, etc. Like all male cats, he will most probably continue to mark his territory with urine. If you want to control the marking and peeing in general, neutering is the best first step-as soon as possible. Local animal shelters usually provide reasonably priced neutering. You should also immediately take him to your vet for a check re any medical problems, vaccines needed, worming, proper food for his age, etc. This is especially important as he most probably has not had any medical checks before. The most cost-effective medical plan for pets is to provide any medical checks and needed medical care as soon as possible. Delaying medical checks and needed treatment may result in more costly medical care.

April 8, 2015 Flag

Clean or dirty clothes, my 6 year old female cat pees on them. She never used to do this until after she had a stroke in February 2013. I've tried different litters, boxes, different locations of the box, removing access to clothes, towels, etc. The only thing I haven't done is have her checked for a UTI, but she doesn't show signs of it. She's a chatty cat by nature so her constant meowing isn't anything unusual. The only other thing I can possibly think of is I have a 16 year old male cat whose health is in decline, he's nearing the end of his life and I think maybe she's refusing to use the litter box because of him. She avoids him, growls and hisses at him so maybe she's sensed his decline over the last 2 years and has been avoiding anything he touches. I don't know. I'm really upset because I'm already going to lose one little sweetheart to his aging, I don't want to lose another to something that I see as preventable and fixable. Any advise is appreciated. Thank you.

By Erin

Also, you say she shows no signs of a UTI but constant urination would be one of those signs. It is also a sign of diabetes. Please take the cat to a vet to rule those out.

I think you really need to have your girl checked out by a Vet. The behavior you describe is commonly associated with a bladder infection. It is also associated with struvite crystals in the urine. Many other things happen in kitty "middle age" that could be involved. Have her checked out by a really good Vet. You sound like a very responsible pet owner. Good luck.

Read More Answers...

April 17, 2015 Flag

I live with my roommate and her cat, and this cat has it out for me. She deliberately pees on my stuff. Even last night she came up stared me in the eye and popped a squat on the blanket I was under and let a rip. How do I get her to stop?

By Brittany A. from Houston, TX

I have 2 suggestions....

1. Get a new roommate

2. Keep a spray bottle of cold water on hand and each time the cat does something naughty spray him/her in the face. It won't take many times to get the message across to the cat and the cold water won't hurt the cat.

Move. The cat is not going to stop, and your roomie probably won't get rid of her.

When we got married and my husband moved in with me, my female cat acted like she was over the moon with my husband, until we left for work. Then she used his stuff for a littler box. so we got all of his stuff unpacked, washed, and put away, and she took her revenge in a more creative way. She started peeing in the furnace/a.c. vents. Kitty had to go sad to say.

June 1, 2015 Flag

My cat just started doing this. She is peeing on my clothes and not on my husband's things. She only started this when she was in heat. She has never done this before. When she is in heat she wants to be with my husband more and will walk around the house and cry at the top of her lungs. Why did she start this?

Please have your cat spayed. She wants to mate with another cat and have kittens that people will promise to care for but may just end up dumping in the pound later. Unless your cat is a pedigree show cat with papers there is really no reason to breed her, so go ahead and make that appointment.

February 10, 2011 Flag

How do you stop your cats from peeing on your clean and dirty clothing?

By Karri

I apologize if you took that personally, Deeli. I have an 8 year old, a 3 year old, a 2 year old, and a set of 1 year old twins living with me for a few months. They are foster children. I don't have an extra two minutes, even! Your suggestion about the trash cans with the flip tops is an excellent idea! Thank you...I never thought of that!

Hi catastrofy, I promise I didn't take it personally! I just didn't see anything that was being so bad and critical said by anyone mentioned in your original post. I am glad you like the idea about those plastic kitchen trash cans with the flipping lid. :-) They really are a Blessing! And Bless you very much for taking in foster children!

Read More Answers...

February 15, 2005 Flag

My cat seems to pee only on my dirty clothes. Any idea's on why? She is almost 2 yrs old, and her litter box is kept clean. Please help with any ideas of how to make her go back to using her litter box. No changes in the household. Debbie

My cat only does that when she has a urinary tract infection. Which had gotten too costly to keep taking her to the vet. So I keep her on acidophilus a 1/2 a tab or 1/2 a capsule a day for maintaining it. But When it is a full blown infection I do 1 tab or one capsule a day . Some cats are more prone than others and I buy water by the gallon for her because our water has too much line and calcium deposits in it.You can find this product in the vitamin section at a large department store or at your local pharmacy.And another note to remember is my cat has the temptation to go on those welcome mats or those utility mats that are made of all black rubber. I think she smells the chemicals in it and the patrolium they us to mold the rubber. I am told that cats hate orange peels too. animals have their quirks and personality flaws too. My cat will go on newspapers too I think it is because of the oder that the ink gives off, I don't spank her for that because it is nice to fall back on the newspaper when I forget to remember to get cat litter, ooops! cher

My cat has been peeing in the potted plants as well as the bin in which we store clean socks. Not only does he pee in the sock bin but then he sleeps there too. Sometimes I open the washroom closet and the cat has been sleeping on the towels all night. He has a bed and usually sleeps there.

Read More Answers...

July 16, 2010 Flag

My cat is 2 yrs old and has just started peeing on our clothing and our bed. Her litter pan stays clean at all times, but she insists on using our stuff to pee on. I punish her by showing her what she did wrong and then putting her in her cage for a time out. Why is that?

By Shaby from St. Louis, MO

Agree with the posters who've said that maybe a vet visit is a good idea, also had a cat who only did that when he had a UTI. Putting her in the cage for a time-out really won't work; doing that after the fact only confuses them and can prompt more unusual behaviors.

Cats will also do that if they have an ulcer, as one of my cats has every time it acts up, he pees on stuff. Very high strung cat! Take your cat to the vet.

Read More Answers...

January 7, 2014 Flag

White and caramel cat lying on a plaid blanket.My cat, Kida, is a twelve, almost thirteen, year old female cat. I've had her since she was a month old, along with her brother. Both of the cats are strictly indoor cats, and their front nails are clipped. They are both also fixed.

Until 2012, Kida never had any problems going outside of the litter-box. Recently, two of my friends moved in with me. They both take care of the cats when I am away at school, feeding them, giving them fresh water, cleaning their litter-box, etc.

That was when Kida began to pee outside of the litter-box. Sometimes she goes on the floor, but she usually goes (when it is outside of the litter-box) on clothes or towels. The clothes/towels are not mine, rather ones that belong/were used by the other two roommates.

But neither of the roommates do anything to mistreat her; instead they take care of her a great deal. She lets both of them pet her, and she isn't unhappy being around them. She doesn't pee on other fabrics that they have used though, such as blankets that often fall from the couch to the floor.

Also, one time when I was here alone with the cats, she peed on a grocery bag of garbage (that didn't contain fabric). Neither of the new roommates had even touched the bag, so that doesn't make sense with the idea that she dislikes them. The same with peeing on the floor, that is has nothing to do with either of the roommates. There are also similar things left in the floor that she does not pee on, such as grocery bags and pillows.

Despite this, I do believe that her peeing has at least something to do with marking since the two new roommates moved in. However, I do not know what I need to do to fix the problem. The litter-box is cleaned regularly, and even when clean, she will still go outside of it. She usually pees on things she isn't supposed to, when we are in another room or not at home - mainly where we won't catch her in the act.

I just want to know if there is something I can do to fix the problem. The roommates will be here for at the very least another seven months. I also will not get rid of my cat, so I really need to find something to fix, or at least help with, her peeing outside the litter-box.

By Karley G.

Actually when you cat pees on your roommates stuff she is "claiming" them as her own, a part of her family. It is a great compliment to them. You might try making sure any "targets" aren't left on the floor or where she can get to them for a few weeks.

Since she is an older cat, you may want to have her checked by your vet because they will sometimes go outside their box when they have a bladder infection or are sick.

April 2, 2012 Flag

How do I keep my 17 year old calico cat named Samantha from peeing in the dog kennels and on my dirty clothes? I have 7 animals in my 864 square foot home, 3 large Labs and 4 cats. All of the animals are over 10 years old, except one dog and one cat.

I suspect she has a urinary tract infection, but she can't travel to the vet's office. She gets very car sick. Can the vet give me something to make her woozy so she can go to the doctor and get checked out?

I am pulling my hair out. We also just took one of my mom's cats and I was wondering if she is doing this in protest of my mom's cat being there. This cat has lived with several animals including snakes, rats, other dogs, lizards, etc. What do I do?

By Deborah D

The best thing to do is call your vet and ask about a kitty tranquilizer so you can get your poor fur baby to be checked out ASAP. The vet will need to know the age and weight and hopefully will be willing to prescribe without a prior visit. If he/she won't/can't do that then the only other thing to do is simply place her in a travel kennel and take her in under protest because, whether she likes it or not, it needs to be done.

Can you imagine yourself living in an 864 square foot space with six other human beings of assorted sizes and personalities?

Be careful with the cranberry meds as cranberries can cause really bad heartburn in some people and animals.

Read More Answers...

July 10, 2010 Flag

Why does my young kitten pee on my clothes instead of her litterbox? Also, how can I stop it?

Answer This QuestionMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 29, 2012 Flag

Why does my female cat keep wetting on any item of clothing that is on the floor? My cats are very good about using the littler box, but lately Maggie (who I caught in the act, so now we know the culprit) wets on any item of clothing that is left on the floor. I scoop the cat box 2 times a day and have gone back to the regular litter we used. Why is she doing this?

June 18, 2006 Flag

I have two 15 month old cats and about 6 months ago I noticed that if I left clothes lying in the floor the cats would pee on them. Just a few days ago when I was doing laundry I left a pile of clothes in the floor and warned my cats not to pee on them.

Load More
        Pets Pet OdorsMay 22, 2013
        Dog Standing on Carpet
        Preventing a Dog From Peeing on Carpet and Rugs
        Tabby cat face gazing up
        Cat Peeing in the House
        Litter Box
        Cat Peeing Outside Litter Box
        guilty dog
        Dog Peeing and Pooping Inside
        © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 24, 2016 at 5:06:15 PM on 10.0.1.148 in 771 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.