Cat Peeing on Clothing

Category Pet Odors
Sometimes cats choose places to relieve themselves that are not outside or the cat box. This guide is about cat peeing on clothing.

I just brought home a 5 month old cat who isn't fixed yet. It's been two days since I brought him home and he's only used the bathroom 3 times since he's been here, once in the litter box and the other times on my bed/clothes. Earlier today is the time he used the litter box, but only because I closed him off in the bathroom while my boyfriend and I weren't home.

He just started eating this morning and because he used the litter box I thought he was making progress. Am I freaking out too soon? Is there anything I can do to speed along the process so he doesn't have to be locked in the bathroom at all times? He came from a house with a lot of animals and didn't seem to have any problems there. Please help! I've grown very attached and would hate to have to get rid of him.

Since I moved my cat will not stop misbehaving by not listeing and peeing on my cloths. We have lived togeather for over a year and he is two laundry loads away from being thrown out the house. I love animals and I love him but I just cannot handle it.

Because by declawing a cat you are not only taking away the only form of defense those little guys have, but later on down the road they can get infections in their paws, and other diseases such as arthritis.

As for fixing them, it's something people don't have a choice on. They breed like rabbits, and Males spray everything if they aren't fixed, not to mention overly aggressive.

Why does my female cat urinate on my daughter's clothing but not on my son's?

She is attempting to bond with your daughter. She is blending their scents. In a strange way it is really a compliment. If you build her confidence and she does build a solid bond with your daughter it should stop.

Idk man. I've had my cat 13 years, we sleep together every night and she keeps me on a schedule throughout the day. When she's upset (changes in environment, or if I'm gone too long.) she still seeks out my things to pee on. Idk why but it's driving me mad.

Clean or dirty clothes, my 6 year old female cat pees on them. She never used to do this until after she had a stroke in February 2013. I've tried different litters, boxes, different locations of the box, removing access to clothes, towels, etc. The only thing I haven't done is have her checked for a UTI, but she doesn't show signs of it. She's a chatty cat by nature so her constant meowing isn't anything unusual. The only other thing I can possibly think of is I have a 16 year old male cat whose health is in decline, he's nearing the end of his life and I think maybe she's refusing to use the litter box because of him. She avoids him, growls and hisses at him so maybe she's sensed his decline over the last 2 years and has been avoiding anything he touches. I don't know. I'm really upset because I'm already going to lose one little sweetheart to his aging, I don't want to lose another to something that I see as preventable and fixable. Any advise is appreciated. Thank you.

By Erin

You should have two separate litterboxes, one that he cannot easily get to. It should be covered or shielded from his view.

Also, you say she shows no signs of a UTI but constant urination would be one of those signs. It is also a sign of diabetes. Please take the cat to a vet to rule those out.

My cat is a year old and every time I do laundry I have to keep it away from my cat or else she will pee on it. Even if it's been put away in a drawer she will pee on it if she can. Once it's been in the drawer for about a week she doesn't care any more. What is wrong with her? Could it be the smell of the detergent making her pee on the clean clothes? Her litter box stays clean and she doesn't try to pee anywhere else. Only freshly cleaned clothes. Is there a way to deter her from doing this?

Try switching to unscented laundry detergent and dryer sheets.

I live with my roommate and her cat, and this cat has it out for me. She deliberately pees on my stuff. Even last night she came up stared me in the eye and popped a squat on the blanket I was under and let a rip. How do I get her to stop?

By Brittany A. from Houston, TX

I have 2 suggestions....

1. Get a new roommate

2. Keep a spray bottle of cold water on hand and each time the cat does something naughty spray him/her in the face. It won't take many times to get the message across to the cat and the cold water won't hurt the cat.

Move. The cat is not going to stop, and your roomie probably won't get rid of her.

When we got married and my husband moved in with me, my female cat acted like she was over the moon with my husband, until we left for work. Then she used his stuff for a littler box. so we got all of his stuff unpacked, washed, and put away, and she took her revenge in a more creative way. She started peeing in the furnace/a.c. vents. Kitty had to go sad to say.

My cat seems to pee only on my dirty clothes. Any idea's on why? She is almost 2 yrs old, and her litter box is kept clean. Please help with any ideas of how to make her go back to using her litter box. No changes in the household. Debbie

My cat only does that when she has a urinary tract infection. Which had gotten too costly to keep taking her to the vet. So I keep her on acidophilus a 1/2 a tab or 1/2 a capsule a day for maintaining it. But When it is a full blown infection I do 1 tab or one capsule a day . Some cats are more prone than others and I buy water by the gallon for her because our water has too much line and calcium deposits in it.You can find this product in the vitamin section at a large department store or at your local pharmacy.And another note to remember is my cat has the temptation to go on those welcome mats or those utility mats that are made of all black rubber. I think she smells the chemicals in it and the patrolium they us to mold the rubber. I am told that cats hate orange peels too. animals have their quirks and personality flaws too. My cat will go on newspapers too I think it is because of the oder that the ink gives off, I don't spank her for that because it is nice to fall back on the newspaper when I forget to remember to get cat litter, ooops! cher

My cat has been peeing in the potted plants as well as the bin in which we store clean socks. Not only does he pee in the sock bin but then he sleeps there too. Sometimes I open the washroom closet and the cat has been sleeping on the towels all night. He has a bed and usually sleeps there.

How do you stop your cats from peeing on your clean and dirty clothing?

By Karri

Anonymous

catastrofy, With all sincerity and respect I am curious just what has been written here that is not an overall helpful tip and what has been written here that is a criticism other than by you saying the people who do put their things away must have the time on their hands to do so? Just to let you know, most of my working years I worked 60 to 80 hours a week but I always found an extra fifteen seconds to put clothes in the dirty clothes and ten or fifteen minutes to fold and put the clean clothes away so my kitty cats wouldn't be tempted to wee wee on them. What might be helpful for you is to use hampers with lids instead of laundry baskets since you don't have the closet space. If you can't afford actual hampers you can use the tall plastic kitchen trash cans that have a flipping lid on it. That's what I used when I owned a salon for sixteen years to put the dirty towels, capes and client gowns in. You can get them in assorted colors and they hold up for a lot more years than laundry baskets do, too. :-)

I apologize if you took that personally, Deeli. I have an 8 year old, a 3 year old, a 2 year old, and a set of 1 year old twins living with me for a few months. They are foster children. I don't have an extra two minutes, even! Your suggestion about the trash cans with the flip tops is an excellent idea! Thank you...I never thought of that!

My cat just started doing this. She is peeing on my clothes and not on my husband's things. She only started this when she was in heat. She has never done this before. When she is in heat she wants to be with my husband more and will walk around the house and cry at the top of her lungs. Why did she start this?

Please have your cat spayed. She wants to mate with another cat and have kittens that people will promise to care for but may just end up dumping in the pound later. Unless your cat is a pedigree show cat with papers there is really no reason to breed her, so go ahead and make that appointment.

My cat is 2 yrs old and has just started peeing on our clothing and our bed. Her litter pan stays clean at all times, but she insists on using our stuff to pee on. I punish her by showing her what she did wrong and then putting her in her cage for a time out. Why is that?

By Shaby from St. Louis, MO

Answer Was this helpful? 1

My cat did the same thing. It is a marking behavior showing the world she owns (loves) you. I don't leave laundry on the floor anymore. Be sure to have your cat checked for a urinary tract infection any time she abandons the litter box. You can also try a product called Comfort Zone with feliway. Where you spray it the cat will not mark. Good luck. She is a beautiful cat.

Agree with the posters who've said that maybe a vet visit is a good idea, also had a cat who only did that when he had a UTI. Putting her in the cage for a time-out really won't work; doing that after the fact only confuses them and can prompt more unusual behaviors.

My cat, Kida, is a twelve, almost thirteen, year old female cat. I've had her since she was a month old, along with her brother. Both of the cats are strictly indoor cats, and their front nails are clipped. They are both also fixed.

Until 2012, Kida never had any problems going outside of the litter-box. Recently, two of my friends moved in with me. They both take care of the cats when I am away at school, feeding them, giving them fresh water, cleaning their litter-box, etc.

That was when Kida began to pee outside of the litter-box. Sometimes she goes on the floor, but she usually goes (when it is outside of the litter-box) on clothes or towels. The clothes/towels are not mine, rather ones that belong/were used by the other two roommates.

But neither of the roommates do anything to mistreat her; instead they take care of her a great deal. She lets both of them pet her, and she isn't unhappy being around them. She doesn't pee on other fabrics that they have used though, such as blankets that often fall from the couch to the floor.

Also, one time when I was here alone with the cats, she peed on a grocery bag of garbage (that didn't contain fabric). Neither of the new roommates had even touched the bag, so that doesn't make sense with the idea that she dislikes them. The same with peeing on the floor, that is has nothing to do with either of the roommates. There are also similar things left in the floor that she does not pee on, such as grocery bags and pillows.

Despite this, I do believe that her peeing has at least something to do with marking since the two new roommates moved in. However, I do not know what I need to do to fix the problem. The litter-box is cleaned regularly, and even when clean, she will still go outside of it. She usually pees on things she isn't supposed to, when we are in another room or not at home - mainly where we won't catch her in the act.

I just want to know if there is something I can do to fix the problem. The roommates will be here for at the very least another seven months. I also will not get rid of my cat, so I really need to find something to fix, or at least help with, her peeing outside the litter-box.

By Karley G.

Actually when you cat pees on your roommates stuff she is "claiming" them as her own, a part of her family. It is a great compliment to them. You might try making sure any "targets" aren't left on the floor or where she can get to them for a few weeks.

Since she is an older cat, you may want to have her checked by your vet because they will sometimes go outside their box when they have a bladder infection or are sick.

How do I keep my 17 year old calico cat named Samantha from peeing in the dog kennels and on my dirty clothes? I have 7 animals in my 864 square foot home, 3 large Labs and 4 cats. All of the animals are over 10 years old, except one dog and one cat.

I suspect she has a urinary tract infection, but she can't travel to the vet's office. She gets very car sick. Can the vet give me something to make her woozy so she can go to the doctor and get checked out?

I am pulling my hair out. We also just took one of my mom's cats and I was wondering if she is doing this in protest of my mom's cat being there. This cat has lived with several animals including snakes, rats, other dogs, lizards, etc. What do I do?

By Deborah D

If it is a UTI, there is over the counter cranberry medications for cats that I have used. I think I purchased it at Pet Smart. I then switched to food that was specifically for urinary health and made sure to clean her water dish daily with soap and hot water. You can also purchase a cat water fountain that will help with bacteria.

Anonymous

The best thing to do is call your vet and ask about a kitty tranquilizer so you can get your poor fur baby to be checked out ASAP. The vet will need to know the age and weight and hopefully will be willing to prescribe without a prior visit. If he/she won't/can't do that then the only other thing to do is simply place her in a travel kennel and take her in under protest because, whether she likes it or not, it needs to be done.

Can you imagine yourself living in an 864 square foot space with six other human beings of assorted sizes and personalities?

Why does my young kitten pee on my clothes instead of her litterbox? Also, how can I stop it?

By Stephanie L from Columbia, MD

She/He may be marking you. Get the cat fixed. If it is a female, she will be going into heat and will spray everything. My kitten started peeing on our clothes and all over the house. We got her fixed and she stopped marking her scent. Hope this helps.

I have this problem with a rescue cat I got in April. She is fixed, has been through several owners and was abandoned by the last one. I have two dogs so I assumed she was doing it because she hates them.

Now I am getting confused as to what the reason it. I put the dogs in the yard 3 weeks ago when the weather turned hot. No a/c in here so they are better outside under the trees. I actually spend half the day out there with them LOL.

Anyway Miss Kitty still won't leave the living room/kitchen area. She did crawl under the door to the storage room and pee in every box she found. Tons of craft stuff ruined.

I have blocked that off so now she mostly sits up in the windows - mostly on the backside by the woods where there is shade all day and she can glare at the dogs. She refuses to go outside. If I take her out on the deck she flies back in and straight back to "her spot" above the kitchen sink.

I really freaked yesterday when I found her squatting and peeing in the kitchen sink - ON TOP OF THE DIRTY DISHES!!!!

She has two litter boxes - one scoopable, one shredded paper, I'm trying everything - and I clean them every single day. She uses them and yet I spot her squatting in the corners of my chairs, any open box (I covered one with plastic trash bags - she is squatting on that) and lots of other places. She even peed on my mail on the kitchen table a few weeks ago.

I have to admit I am at wits end. I am disabled and can barely take care of myself. I have never had to work so hard for a cat in my life and not sure I can keep it up much longer. There is just too much daily cleaning involved.

It has been over 3 months and I can't figure out what to do. I don't want to send her back to the shelter. I think she is about out of strikes there plus I think part of her bad behavior is just like a foster kid passed around. She is mad at everyone. I am hoping if I keep petting and spoiling her she will stop being so ornery.

Oh, about that box with the plastic bag on top. I was holding down the bag with two containers of old bath salts with no lids. One was Tropical Splash and the other Orange Spice so the orange wasn't bothering her. *sigh*

Why does my female cat keep wetting on any item of clothing that is on the floor? My cats are very good about using the littler box, but lately Maggie (who I caught in the act, so now we know the culprit) wets on any item of clothing that is left on the floor. I scoop the cat box 2 times a day and have gone back to the regular litter we used. Why is she doing this?

By Bonnie B

Cats will do this if they have a kidney or bladder infection. They have no way of telling us what is wrong and it might feel better to pee on nice, soft cotton if they are inflamed? I suggest a trip to the vets. My step-mother told me years ago that cats should not be given fish or food with fish in it because it can cause cystitis (this may have only pertained to male cats, can't remember). I don't buy any cat foods that have fish products, just to be on the safe side. She also told me to watch the ash content in canned cat food, again, I can't remember why, etc. (long time ago!) but it did pertain to cystitis.

Good luck to you & your kitty. Make sure the cat has a lot of fresh water to drink to try and flush the system.

Anonymous

I also recommend a visit to the vet no matter what to be sure she's physically okay but could you tell us if there are any type of changes or stress in your household? Is perhaps someone treating her differently than what she's used to? Is there a new human or animal addition in the home? If a cat does urinates on clothing it could mean an infection and/or that she is really upset about something.

I once had a cat, Niki, who never urinated outside of her box but then when I had a young lady move in temorarily because she had no other place to live my cat started urinating on clothing or towels left on the floor. Turns out the young lady was not a very nice person and I truly believe Niki simply sensed that. Once the young lady moved out Niki never urinated outside of her box again.

I have two 15 month old cats and about 6 months ago I noticed that if I left clothes lying in the floor the cats would pee on them. Just a few days ago when I was doing laundry I left a pile of clothes in the floor and warned my cats not to pee on them.

I have four rescue cats all fixed and about the same age of 5. We have had them since they were each a few months old. One female keeps peeing on my husband's clothes and anything on the couch. She has done this almost since we got her. Lately, she will pee on the couch while we are sitting right there. She has also peed on my boys' beds so they keep her out of their rooms. It's not all the time as far as I can tell and my husband does pet her and tries to be nice and not threatening. She does use the litter boxes too. I can't narrow it down as to why she pees mostly on his stuff. He is ready to send her back to the rescue. I have the Comfort Zone spray, but can't constantly keep putting it everywhere. I'm not even sure it works. I really don't know what else to do anymore, but give her up. The other cats seem fine, but I can't follow her around all day either. This cat is my cat, she only meows/talks with me.

By Sharon H

Load More