Silky Scrub Bath Salts

These homemade scrubbing bath salts are fantastic as a gift to a friend or to yourself! They're easy and cheap to make, they work wonderfully, and are extremely simple to personalize. They combine exfoliating, moisturizing, and relaxing fragrance all in one product, yet are cheaper than store bought body wash and don't require a loofah or moisturizing sponge. The scrub can help with many different kinds of skin problems. All you do is mix the salt and oil a little, take a handful, and scrub your entire body.

Approximate Time: 15 minutes

Supplies

• 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil
  • 1/4 cup baby oil
  • 2 tsp rose oil
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 cup sea salt
  • 1/4 cup Epsom salt

Instructions

1. Use a large bowl if making more than one batch. If only creating one batch, just mix the ingredients in the jar the bath salts will be held in.
  2. Pour 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil, 1/4 cup coconut oil, 1/4 cup baby oil, 2 tsp. rose oil (or other flower essence), 1 tsp. vanilla extract in a small saucepan and mix well. Stir over medium heat until oil begins a rolling boil. Remove from heat, and keep stirring for 30 seconds. Let cool.
  3. Mix 1 cup sea salt and 1/4 cup Epsom salt in a separate bowl. Pour cooled oil into container the bath salts will be kept in. If making more than one batch, use a large mixing bowl.
  4. Immediately, but slowly, stir in salt. It's OK if the salt falls the bottom and the oil rises, that's natural. When you use the product, you must mix it up a little with your fingers, so the oil and salt mix again, then take a palm full and scrub away!
  5. For alternate scents try 2 tsp. almond oil, orange extract, vanilla extract, lavender oil, jasmine oil, lilac oil, or any other scent, even some of your favorite perfume.
  6. For itchy skin, reduce sea salt to 3/4 cup, and add 1/4 cup finely chopped, uncooked, oatmeal. Stir oatmeal and salt together in a separate bowl, then slowly stir into oil.
  7. For both cost and health reasons, I never add color to my salts, and instead store them is decorative colored or frosted jars. If color is desired, add 2-6 drops of food coloring to salts before mixing them with the oil.

By Aysha from Boise, ID

Is it possible to use something else besides coconut oil? I am allergic

I forgot to log in the first time. Is it possible to use a different oil in lieu of coconut oil? I am allergic to it.

Sounds like a wonderful gift, and you can custom make it for different allergies and skin problems, like winter-dry skin.

It is absolutely OK to substitute the oil. Some will work better than others, but mineral oil works well too. Or you can just increase the other oils to make up for the missing coconut oil.

Can someone suggest another oil to use other than mineral oil?

I find it clogs my pores.

Thanks from Smoochie

This may sound like a dumb question, but where do you find sea salt?

Really, you can use many different oils, depending on your taste and allergies. Or you can just stick to Olive Oil if most others cause you problems. Aloe Vera, Avacado, and Hemp Seed oil can work too, though I don't use them because they're so expensive. Even fish oil can be used, but I really, really don't suggest it because Ewwwww, what a stink.

Sea salt can be purchased at almost any grocery store. Depending on the store, it can be placed in different aisles. But glance in the health food, spice, or baking aisle if nobody at the store knows where it is.

I am wondering if this makes the bathtub or shower slippery with the oil in it. Could you please let me know?

Tonya

Yes it does. I find it's not bad in the shower, but the tub does get a little slippery. When I use it I spray some citrus cleaner and hot water to wash it all down the drain....but thats because I'm lazy. A basic quick clean should get rid of it.

Thanks for the reply Aysha. I was a little afraid of the slipperyness factor. I have to be careful because I fall anyway so I don't need anymore help with it. LOL

Thanks again.

Tonya

Quick question please. The sea salt I've bought in the grocery store is quite coarse and much larger than regular salt. Will this recipe melt the sea salt? Thanks from Smoochie

Homemade Bath Salts
Homemade Bath Salts Recipes
Crafts Bath & Beauty BathMarch 25, 2008
Lilac Bubble Bath
Lilac Bubble Bath
Homemade powered scrub brush.
Making a Powered Scrub Brush
Toddler with bubbles on hair and end of nose.
Homemade Bubble Bath Recipes
Hand in Rose Petal Water
Homemade Spa Bath Recipes
🎉
🎄