Homemade Silky Scrub Bath Salts

Category Bath
A container of bath salts with a sunflower button and green ribbon.
This homemade bath salt scrub is wonderful to use and makes a great gift. This is a guide about silky scrub bath salts.

These homemade scrubbing bath salts are fantastic as a gift to a friend or to yourself! They're easy and cheap to make, they work wonderfully, and are extremely simple to personalize. They combine exfoliating, moisturizing, and relaxing fragrance all in one product, yet are cheaper than store bought body wash and don't require a loofah or moisturizing sponge. The scrub can help with many different kinds of skin problems. All you do is mix the salt and oil a little, take a handful, and scrub your entire body.

Approximate Time: 15 minutes

Supplies

Instructions

1. Use a large bowl if making more than one batch. If only creating one batch, just mix the ingredients in the jar the bath salts will be held in.
  2. Pour 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil, 1/4 cup coconut oil, 1/4 cup baby oil, 2 tsp. rose oil (or other flower essence), 1 tsp. vanilla extract in a small saucepan and mix well. Stir over medium heat until oil begins a rolling boil. Remove from heat, and keep stirring for 30 seconds. Let cool.
  3. Mix 1 cup sea salt and 1/4 cup Epsom salt in a separate bowl. Pour cooled oil into container the bath salts will be kept in. If making more than one batch, use a large mixing bowl.
  4. Immediately, but slowly, stir in salt. It's OK if the salt falls the bottom and the oil rises, that's natural. When you use the product, you must mix it up a little with your fingers, so the oil and salt mix again, then take a palm full and scrub away!
  5. For alternate scents try 2 tsp. almond oil, orange extract, vanilla extract, lavender oil, jasmine oil, lilac oil, or any other scent, even some of your favorite perfume.
  6. For itchy skin, reduce sea salt to 3/4 cup, and add 1/4 cup finely chopped, uncooked, oatmeal. Stir oatmeal and salt together in a separate bowl, then slowly stir into oil.
  7. For both cost and health reasons, I never add color to my salts, and instead store them is decorative colored or frosted jars. If color is desired, add 2-6 drops of food coloring to salts before mixing them with the oil.

By Aysha from Boise, ID

Top Comment

I am wondering if this makes the bathtub or shower slippery with the oil in it. Could you please let me know?

Tonya

Top Comment

Yes it does. I find it's not bad in the shower, but the tub does get a little slippery. When I use it I spray some citrus cleaner and hot water to wash it all down the drain....but thats because I'm lazy. A basic quick clean should get rid of it.

Is it possible to use something else besides coconut oil? I am allergic

I forgot to log in the first time. Is it possible to use a different oil in lieu of coconut oil? I am allergic to it.