Identifying Markings on Serving Dish

I have silver by Rogers Brothers, 1847. It also has two letters after, that are I S. Can anyone tell me if this is sterling silver or not and what do the letters I S mean? The pattern is First Love.

By Jeannine from Lake Charles, LA

"IS" is an abbreviation for International Silver which bought Rogers Bros in 1898. The "1847" refers to Rogers founding a new process and not the date of manufacture .

Ditto SieraStar's post; also, your piece is silverplate, and the First Love pattern was first produced in 1937 and was discontinued in 1973.

It was one of Rogers/ IS most popular Art Deco patterns--meaning there are loads of 'em out there. The more floral ornamentation on it, the closer to the late 30's through early 50's it is; if it's sparse on the floral decoration, it's likely one of the later pieces, 60's through '73.

Source: am an eBay top-rated/power seller, dealing with retro and older, quirky bric-a-brac :)

I S stands for International Silver. If it isn't marked Sterling, it is silver plate.

February 29, 2012 Flag

I have a cream and sugar bowl that is marked 175 and a teapot that is marked 597? Is this silver? I know it is very old; it is my grandfather's sister's.

By Rhonda

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The higher the mark, the more silver there is. You can find 925 in most rings, but this lower mark probably indicates it's silver plated. Anything that is silver can tarnish, even plated.

Keep a magnet handy for when you are shopping for silver ware. Magnets do not stick to silver, so this is a good indicator that you have found the real deal.

March 25, 2010 Flag

I have a serving dish that I think might be real silver, but am not sure. It has several makers marks on it. The first looks to be a crown, the second a lion, the third a lowercase "A" and the last is a "B" in a shield. Can anyone tell me if it a real silver piece or not?

Identifying Markings on Serving Dish

If it has markers on it then it is most likely silver. Call around to local fine china and silver stores/dealers to find out accurate information. (11/26/2008)

By Deeli

Identifying Markings on Serving Dish

John, here's an online place you can look up maker's marks. It may help you.

Good luck.

Identifying Markings on Serving Dish

Yes, if it has a lion, it's real. Go to the library to research the marks. There are books devoted to identifying them. Good luck. (12/01/2008)

By mklema92658

Consumer Advice Collectibles AntiquesMarch 25, 2010
vintage plates glued together to make a tiered serving dish
Making a Two Tier Serving Dish
Glass Pedestal Dish With Brownies
Making a Glass Pedestal Dish
Green chameleon on a branch.
Identifying Lizards
silver bracelet
Identifying Jewelry Markings