Identifying Jewelry Markings?

Can anyone help me identify this mark on the inside of the ring?

Thanks so much.

Answers

Best Answer

Thanks bunches for the additional photos.

Do you know any history on the piece? The mark is not familiar.

Why I wanted to see it is to determine the style and the era, which may lead to the designer.

The piece appears to be an Art Nouveau design. If it is an original era piece you could have something of a nice value on your hands (literally if you wear it)!

Art Nouveau was all about enamel (which it looks like the center of your ring is--if it is plastic it is in the style of AN, and most likely not original. If it is Bakelite, it could be a later AN piece from the 1950s), and unusual trims and designs like yours has.

To back up for a second, Art Nouveau was a style popular 1890 to 1910 and then imitated many years to follow.

Has it been tested for gold or silver?

Since this is such an unusual piece (if it is not an old piece, it is a very well designed remake has it has a lot of the patina one would expect to see on an old piece--the dullness of the enamel, the dullness of the gold and trim for example.

To me it does not have the "shiny" that a newer piece would exhibit which is why it really piques my interest.

My best suggestion would be to find a reputable jewelry store that specializes in estate pieces and/vintage pieces. They may know the maker right off the top.

They can help you value it for your market also as like most things being resold, value is regional and supply and demand driven.

If you do not have a dealer nearby, you could find an Art Nouveau jewelry group on Facebook and put it out there for them to look. Be sure to follow the rules of any group you join. Some are quite fussy!

Where I am, true Art Nouveau rings and jewelry pieces are in moderately high demand and in some markets can fetch nice amounts.

Please post back what you learn!!

Answer this Question

15 More Questions

I'd like to know if my bracelet is antique and what the maker's mark means.

Answers

Best Answer

This bracelet is 9 karat gold. It is the lowest content of gold in fine jewelry. The rest of the marks are makers marks.

Best Answer

I am assuming you are in Australia or new Zealand. We don't see the 9 CT mark much in the US.

Here is a good article on the percentage of gold:

fairinachengjewellery.com/.../

I believe nifty is the maker and based on the clasp and style I would peg it at 1950s. Maybe 1960s. This makes it vintage, not antique.

Thanks for sharing!

Best Answer

I guess you already know this bracelet is only 9 Karate gold. Most are normally 10, 14, or even 18. The marks on the back are from the company that made this bracelet. The value of the bracelet will depend on the weight. You can take it to a jeweler to have it weighed.

Best Answer

I'm not sure where you are located but every country has some type of 'pawn shop' so if you wish to know the gold content then they are your easiest place to check. They may even be interested in buying your kinda unique bracelet.

Niffy jewelry company may have been a small jewelry company somewhere other than the US and may not be in existence today. They probably made small amounts of each design and maybe only sold in small specialty stores and not necessarily jewelry stores. You may never see another piece with this name.

I do not believe the value will have anything to do with the gold content but will have a lot to do with the style and age. I agree it is probably from the 50s -60s as this type of clasp was popular during that time and that would make it a very good vintage item.

Many people like vintage jewelry that is in good condition and is not the ordinary type that is seen everyday.
You did not ask about value but generally everyone wants to know about current value even if they do not plan to sell.

I believe it could be valued from $35 - $50 if listed before Valentine's Day.
If you decide to sell, I would suggest listing it on several sites with several good pictures.

Answer this Question

What does this marking stand for? It is on I believe a costume brooch pin with enamel and rhinestones.

Answers

Best Answer

I believe the jewelers mark on your broach is the mark belonging to Catherine Popesco. A French jewelry designer famous for handcrafted vintage designs as well as some more modern pieces. It would probably be worth your time to do some more research on the particular piece that you have as some are fairly valuable.

Best Answer

Sometimes the vintage pieces themself are worth more than silver price . The silver price helps yes but even vintage costume jewelry can be worth a small fortune even though I have spent a bigger fortune on 92.5 silver jewlery.

Answer this Question

Can anyone help me identify the maker's mark on this ring?

Answers

Best Answer

Normally 14k is 14 karat gold, however it appears to have a gf intertwined after it which if that is correct, it is gold filled (lesser value). Does a magnet stick to it? That would confirm plated. I would take it to a reputable jewelry store to have it tested. I have had 14k pieces which turned out to be plated. Post back with an update!

Answer this Question

I can't seem to make out the jewelry markings on these earrings other than the 4 K part. It seems to be like an arrow or some sort of triangle!

Can anyone help me identify what this is and what it means?

Answers

Best Answer

A pawn shop can help you with the gold content.

I can almost guarantee you if it is 4K it is plated and will have no value for a collector or scrap. From reselling for years I know that the the bulk of the collectible brands that still have some resale value for costume, like Monet, Trifari, etc. are clearly marked with their name and when you do a reverse image search of the mark, it comes right up.

I did a reverse image search of yours and nothing.

If you want to double check before you go to a pawn shop, this site has a lot of good info:

howtobuyvintagejewelry.com/the-best-vintage-costume-jewelry...

Answer this Question

I would like to know if some one could tell me what this mark means?

Please and thank you!

I bought this necklace and bracelet set. I tried finding this mark. Can anyone help?

Please and thank you.

I've been looking for this hallmark stamp everywhere and no luck. Can somebody please help?

I need help identifying the hallmark/stamp on this piece and of jewelry. The stamp is on the clasp of the bracelet. I've included a picture of clasp.

Thank you so much for your help!

Answers

The 925 means it is sterling silver. The other mark is the manufacturer, which I dont recognize

I have a silver ring with the numbers etc. on the inside of the ring band that read = 5925 A15 50. What does that mean? And how much is it worth?

Answers

It probably says S925, which means it is sterling silver.

Plain sterling silver ring value:
Probably $2-$4 at a pawn shop.
Maybe up to $10 on eBay but may take a year to sell and after all fees deducted maybe $8.50.

925 (or S925 or 95 and many other similar combos) are the sterling silver marking. The number means that 92.5% of your jewelry is sterling silver, the rest is other metals. I have also seen 825 and 725 (meaning 82.5 or 72.5 is sterling). The 925 is the "better" silver so to speak.

I always take silver I want to sell to a store (its a chain store) called Treasure Hunt. I have taken my pieces to other places and I have found this place to be the most fair.

They will test to make sure it is real and even if marked you will know the actual composition of metals through this neat machine they have. They don't even have to do scrape tests any more--which is neat.

I can tell you that there are some disreputable companies who--mostly in the 1960s and 1970s it seems, put 925 markings on pieces that really were NOT the 925 composition of silver to other metals but it was sold as such (so basically false advertising--and crappy silver plated pieces with next to no value). That infuriates me. I had several rings and necklaces like and I was not happy.

If the ring has stones, you may or may not get more for it. Depends on what the stones are.

You may want to hold it and watch the market until silver gets into the high teens or $20 range. Last I looked it was in the low teens--$13 or $14 an ounce. I was just reading that it may be on the upswing and some are projecting it will be $20 an ounce. There are a lot of neat websites that give you line or bar graphs showing the daily, weekly, monthly, and annual values--so you can track and decide when you want to sell. Buy low, sell high!!

Answer this Question

I found this ring and it has 10k stamped on it. It also has a stamp of a bird I know what 10k stands for, but does anyone know what the bird marking means?

Can any one tell what these say?

Load More
Consumer Advice Collectibles JewelryJune 25, 2013
🍀
🐰
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Identifying-Jewelry-Markings.html