Identifying Jewelry Markings

Category Jewelry
The markings on jewelry help to identify the material from which it was made, the designer, and other information about the piece. This is a page about identifying jewelry markings.

I need help identifying the hallmark/stamp on this piece and of jewelry. The stamp is on the clasp of the bracelet. I've included a picture of clasp.

Thank you so much for your help!

Answers

The 925 means it is sterling silver. The other mark is the manufacturer, which I dont recognize

Thank you for your post. I appreciate your feedback.

Your picture is one the slant so it is difficult to really see the marks well enough for me to research.

Even the number - 925? - is not that clear but that is the most common mark so it is assumed that is the number.
If you can add more pictures - straight over the marks - someone may be able to recognize the brand marking.
Here is a link that has jewelry marks from each country but without a better picture any country would just be a guess (better guesses with better pictures).
A picture of the bracelet front may help also.

www.silvercollection.it/sitemaphallmarks.html

I have a silver ring with the numbers etc. on the inside of the ring band that read = 5925 A15 50. What does that mean? And how much is it worth?

Answers

It probably says S925, which means it is sterling silver.

Plain sterling silver ring value:
Probably $2-$4 at a pawn shop.
Maybe up to $10 on eBay but may take a year to sell and after all fees deducted maybe $8.50.

925 (or S925 or 95 and many other similar combos) are the sterling silver marking. The number means that 92.5% of your jewelry is sterling silver, the rest is other metals. I have also seen 825 and 725 (meaning 82.5 or 72.5 is sterling). The 925 is the "better" silver so to speak.

I always take silver I want to sell to a store (its a chain store) called Treasure Hunt. I have taken my pieces to other places and I have found this place to be the most fair.

They will test to make sure it is real and even if marked you will know the actual composition of metals through this neat machine they have. They don't even have to do scrape tests any more--which is neat.

I can tell you that there are some disreputable companies who--mostly in the 1960s and 1970s it seems, put 925 markings on pieces that really were NOT the 925 composition of silver to other metals but it was sold as such (so basically false advertising--and crappy silver plated pieces with next to no value). That infuriates me. I had several rings and necklaces like and I was not happy.

If the ring has stones, you may or may not get more for it. Depends on what the stones are.

You may want to hold it and watch the market until silver gets into the high teens or $20 range. Last I looked it was in the low teens--$13 or $14 an ounce. I was just reading that it may be on the upswing and some are projecting it will be $20 an ounce. There are a lot of neat websites that give you line or bar graphs showing the daily, weekly, monthly, and annual values--so you can track and decide when you want to sell. Buy low, sell high!!

We have a ring with these marks shown in the pictures. Can anyone identify them as we've hit a dead end.

Answers

The N is probably a makers mark. The 4 may be 14k. If the ring is old or from a foreign county it may not have the stamps it would be required to have today.

Any jeweler can test for gold content.

The top photo looks like it was engraved for t and ah, whomever they are. The other mark is 18 ct which is a measurement of the diamonds or stones in the ring. I am not familiar with the n or other numbers. Could be maker mark and size or inventory numbers. A good jeweler can assess what you have. You could ask to help get an insurance value.

I can't seem to figure out what the marking on my great grandmother's gold ring is. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Answers

The ring is 14 karat gold. That is the 14k part. The symbol that looks like an S is probably the manufacturer.

The S may stand for Stuller--which is a brand. I can't confirm it because I have lost my bookmark for jewelers marks.

Judy is correct that the 14K is 14 Karat gold. 24 K is considered solid gold. Everything else is lesser amounts of gold mixed with other metals...it usually goes down to 18K, 14K, 10K and occasionally 8K.

Gold buyers (avoid pawn shops if you can and seek out some of the national chains to buy gold and silver as they seem to pay better), pay by the current market value for scrap gold and the K you have.

The gold market today is on the rise, so you may want to watch it if you are going to sell for scrap. I like this site because it gives a visual of the values (scroll down for the graph:

www.moneymetals.com/.../gold-price

Scrap values are national; what the individual places pay is their own percentage of the national value so it does pay to shop around to find the best payout!

What does this marking stand for? It is on I believe a costume brooch pin with enamel and rhinestones.

Answers

I believe the jewelers mark on your broach is the mark belonging to Catherine Popesco. A French jewelry designer famous for handcrafted vintage designs as well as some more modern pieces.

It would probably be worth your time to do some more research on the particular piece that you have as some are fairly valuable.

Sometimes the vintage pieces themself are worth more than silver price . The silver price helps yes but even vintage costume jewelry can be worth a small fortune even though I have spent a bigger fortune on 92.5 silver jewlery.

Does anyone recognize this symbol on jewelry? It has a crown on top, two initials "P" and "D" and some kind of plant leaves expanding up on both sides.

By Diana Jane Ketron from TN

Answers

premier deign

Premier Design. You can see the logo at the bottom left of their webpage. Here is the link:
http://www.premierdesigns.com/ Hope this helps.

I have a gold heart locket that opens to put 2 pictures inside. It has a red stone in front with accent diamonds. The markings inside read: 1-20, 10KBE, F.M.co. Can anyone tell me what the markings mean?

By Cindy from Sacramento, CA

Consumer Advice Collectibles JewelryJune 25, 2013
🌻
📓
🎂