Identifying a Fabric Doll?

0
Share
Save
Follow
Print

An old doll with no clothing.I would love to find out more about this doll and her value. She always terrified me as a child. My dad gave her to me. I do not remember any clothing on the doll. He emigrated from Poland after WW2. He also spent time in Austria and Germany. It is very likely the doll is from Europe. There as no markings and it is about 12 inches long. Fabric is in good condition and body is stuffed.

Mystery Doll From My Childhood?

A top view of an old doll.

A back view of the doll.

Answers

Bronze Post Medal for All Time! 140 Posts
Best Answer

She looks like a 1930's depression era German made doll. These dolls were made out fabric and paper Mache , this was a way to make dolls for consumers for a low value in the depression . You may need to contact a historian or a antique appraiser - www.ebay.com/.../3244383 or maybe this link https://www.justanswer.com

Answer this Question

2 More Questions

I have had this doll from my birth (2000) until like 2010 and then I lost it. Now I would like to know what kind of doll it is (like name, brand, etc.) and if possible where I could find it.

Identifying a Fabric Doll

Answers

Bronze Feedback Medal for All Time! 196 Feedbacks

Thanks for the info. This may be a Waldorf cuddle doll. There are many similar dolls out there.

Here is a sample:

images.app.goo.gl/LyqPxPpvoHPtkuys6

Post back with an update!

Maybe this company could recreate it:

bamboletta.com/

They look similar to what you have!

Gold Feedback Medal for All Time! 949 Feedbacks

i believe that Pghgirl may be right about this being a Waldorf style doll but it seems that I knew it by another name. These were kits and very few will be identical because they were meant to stimulate a child's imagination and they could 'paint' the doll's face however they wanted. This meant the dolls would be 'their' doll.

These doll kits are still sold today.
You may be able to contact someone here and see if they remember your particular doll - I believe your doll was one of the kits but not sure about the hair and the dolls were made so clothes could be made for them. Your mother may have 'personalized' this doll herself.

achildsdream.com/.../

You can also buy the dolls in different styles.

www.bellalunatoys.com/.../classic-waldorf-dolls-dress-up-dolls

Here are links to their history:

www.historyofdolls.com/.../

Here are pictures of some of the dolls:

commons.wikimedia.org/.../Category:Waldorf_dolls

if you are still in doubt then you might want to send your picture to one of these forums to see what they say.. Be sure to include the size as this is very important. Kits came in all size dolls and boys and girls.

www.facebook.com/.../

www.facebook.com/.../?ref=group_header

Answer this Question

Thanks to everyone who assisted in helping to identify the Manhattan Toy doll that was brilliant team work! I am here again for this little beauty. It seems interesting, but I have just never heard or been able to find this doll.

On the back of the head says, Blue Box, but I have drawn a blank...ho hum.

Identifying a Soft Doll with Vinyl Face?

Answers

Gold Post Medal for All Time! 677 Posts

This is a Cabbage Patch knockoff. It is worth very little.

Well - she is adorable. Hugga Buds - cute. Size?
I believe many people would will get this little doll confused with the Kenner Hugga Bunch plush toys made in the 80's but they were larger (I believe) and all plush.

I believe she was made by or for Blue Box Toy company but I cannot find a date.
I did find an add that looks like it is the original ad when these dolls were first listed for sale.
This is from newspaper archives and you have to start a 'trial' membership to be able to see the page. It appears to be okay but you can decide that for yourself as you do have to give credit card information. If I ever do a trial I use a temporary card number that my bank gives me (with a charge limit that I set) and will expire in 30 minutes - but that's just me.
I believe she is in the bunch of dolls located on the bottom right at $5.99. This was in 1992.
www.newspapers.com/.../

Information about the company.
creativeplayretailer.com/.../blue-box-toys
www.collectiondx.com/.../blue_box_toys

When PGHgirl checks this out I feel sure she will know more about this doll and correct any errors that I might have made.

I love the ad you found on my new fav site, cybergrannie! That looks exactly like the series and they appear to be limited to 1991-1992, sold around the country and always for 5.99 and listed with a number of low end toys in the same advertisements.

There were 15 listings in that time period and the papers were from a variety of small towns like Dayton. The weird thing is the ads don't give a store name, that I can see. It also seems to be the same stock photo of the dolls.

The only listing I could even find elsewhere is one from Russia: babiki.ru/.../

I am totally baffled by this one. Wow!! Although I was going through a very bad time in 1991-1992 so I don't have a lot of memories from that time related to my doll passion.

This was post the height of Cabbage Patch dolls, so maybe they were late to the game and trying to create a look a like that everyone could afford. I just don't know.

The company seems to still be in business...maybe they have the history? Here is their contact page link www.blue-box.com/.../

So what does this all mean for value? I am not sure. If they were a discount toy and didn't last and if someone has a very fond memory of one and wants one, a low supply and a demand, can increase the value.

If they were a discount toy and totally forgotten about, and no one cares, it will sit until it sparks a memory.

I always love when I see something I have never seen before!

Thanks for sharing!!

I like the site also but have not subscribed - yet.
Since we do not have the size of this doll it is difficult to determine value but I'm pretty sure these were small dolls like I remember seeing in the Kay-Bee toy stores and were many times set on the check-out counter as 'impulse' buys.
Anyway - she is cute.

Answer this Question
Consumer Advice Collectibles DollsMay 16, 2020
🎆
😎
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Identifying-a-Fabric-Doll-1.html