Remedies for Weak and Thin Fingernails

Weak, thin nails can be very frustrating. This is a guide about remedies for weak and thin fingernails.

Weak and Thin Fingernails

August 6, 2007 Flag

I have received so many great tips and information from this site that I thought I was over-due for a pay-back.

Ladies, for those of us who have weak, soft, splitting fingernails, listen up! Buy a bottle of White Iodine (at Wal-Mart or any pharmacy-it can be ordered). It is also very inexpensive - $1.49.

Coat nails every day for a week and then a couple of times a week afterwards. It binds the protein of the nail (or something) but it will make them harder. You will not believe it. It truly works! Try it--you will love it!

By Nolasandy from New Orleans, LA

Top Comment

Anyone who wants better nails should try this: Every night (or morning and night) use a heavy hand cream and massage into your nails for a couple of minutes. Do this vigilantly for a few months and you will grow better stronger nails. After years of splitting, breaking, thin weak nails, I now have long, stronger nails. I use a buffing pad almost daily also. All your nails need is attention - this is a cheap and effective way to grow nicer nails.

Top Comment

Its difficult finding information on this so here are my conclusions based on my research and my wife's experience with white iodine.

- Retail price for white iodine is usually about $3.50 per bottle, but I found it for under $2. Caution, i found some local pharmacies like walgreens and CVS selling it for as much as $6 per 1 oz. bottle!

- It can be nearly impossible to find in some states and countries. Thats where online shopping comes in handy. I found mine at

- It is medically safe to use & body will not absorb dangerous amounts

- White iodine is a clear iodide and is also known as decolorized iodine, colorless iodine, clear iodine & yodo blanco.

- It became very famous as a treatment for nails (yes it works, my wife talks miracles), alopecia areata (a hair loss treatment) and some rare skin disorders.

- If using for nails, do not wash dishes within an hour or two after. Chemicals in soap make your nails yellowish after iodine was applied.

- Only apply once a day or every 2 days on nails. Or they might get a bit yellowish and even more brittle! Applying more amounts will not do more work! Patience is a virtue.

- If applying daily, its recommended you mix with castor oil. We found both iodine and castor oil in the same online store at very low price. It took about 2 weeks to see obvious results but my wife noticed improvements days after starting the treatment.

- Keep iodine away from reach of children. It is a poison if swallowed!

Hope these tips help. Didn't want to spam with a bunch of links on where to find it so I only provided the most popular and inexpensive one i could find. Feel free to look elsewhere.

Sincerely, Johnny

(happy cause I saved on weekly manicures for my wife; hope she doesnt read this)

Top Comment

September 22, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about remedies for brittle fingernails. Nutrition and health can effect the condition of your fingernails.

Remedies for Brittle Fingernails

June 25, 2015 Flag

As a recent avid nail biter, I have found a solution to help grow nails that is not only inexpensive but natural and healthy. My nails were really thin and would chip and peel.

Pushing back cuticles

February 1, 2012 Flag

I just took the false nails off my finger nails and my nails are tender and weak. What can I do to strengthen them?

By Audrey W.

Best Answer

I take a biotin supplement, the stuff is fantastic for hair and nails! I used to get mine in WalMart, and I also found HoofMaker there.

It's officially a hoof treatment for horses but is perfectly safe for human use on finger nails. You'll find it in the pet section.

Use a Q-Tip to apply it to your nails just before bed and let it soak in overnight-very quick results to repair a damaged nail bed. Huge economical jar, too, and it smells great!

I got that tip, btw, from a nail tech years ago when acrylic nails were the big rage. I was so excited when I was having the things applied-until she warned me that I should save myself some money and get HoofMaker instead the salon's hideously expensive ointment to repair the inevitable nail bed damage when the nails came off. Nail bed damage?! Unfortunately all ten nails had already been applied.

Hoo boy, I did get the HoofMaker, wore the nails until they could safely be removed (about a week I think), and then I never had those UN-fabulous fakes applied again!

My fingertips hurt for several days after those things came off. The HoofMaker did help, easing the bed and healing my nails quickly. Plus I noticed the HoofMaker did really nice things for my nails and the nail bed after the healing was complete. Been using that or a similar product ever since, and I have lovely strong nails. Here in the UK I get Hoof-Treat from the tack shop, looks, smells, and works the same as the HoofMaker.

Best Answer

I've never really been into painting my nails or growing them long. Probably because I was always building something instead. However, two of my older sisters did and both were beauticians. They would buy Knox Gelatin made just for fingernails. They would mix it with water and drink it. They did have lovely nails. You can buy that in a grocery store in with the regular Jello.

April 2, 2011 Flag

I am trying to strengthen my weak and flimsy fingernails. I take vitamins daily (multivitamin, folic acid, biotin, and some prescription medications) and I can grow my nails, but they bend so easily.

I take a shower and they rip on the towel, or snag. I am tired of wearing bandages on my fingers due to the tearing. They bend so easily, that when I was in beauty school, I hated working on hair, since I knew that my nails would be torn to bits.

I have tried every strengthener known to man, I eat healthy, have recently lost 50+ pounds, and am not hard on my nails. I have polycystic ovary syndrome (a hormone and fertility problem) and weak nails don't run in the family, my sister has egg shell nails, they curl, and what not. I don't have a picture to go with this, I have overlays on my nails now, so they don't tear.

My nails don't need to breath, they are not alive, just like our hair, they both grow, but are not living things. So please refrain from telling me my nails need to breath, because they do not. I went to cosmetology school, and we learned all there is to know about nails.

Any tips thought would be great. I'm sick of spending $$ on no good products. I have OPI Nail Envy, and that does little good. Any ideas would be helpful, home remedies, or anything. I can't even soak my nails for a mani since they are so thin, they just tear off.

By Torrie from Vaughnsville, OH

You are very correct about everything you said but keep in mind you are talking in mg not mcg which is what biotin comes in. Even 5000 mcg is only equal to something like 5 mg. So a person would have to be taking a bottle or more a day to overdose.

biotin is B7. I noticed the same mistake. B6 is helpful for mood but because of the risk for neuropathy I would never take more than 25-50mg daily, it was biotin they were recommending but got the number wrong

January 23, 2015 Flag

How to make fingernails thicker and stronger?

By Mary

My dermatologist recommended 1000 - 5000mcg of Biotin daily for my nails and hair. I have been taking Biotin for over a year and my nails are strong and healthy and my hair loss is minimal.

Improvement will not happen overnight so plan to stick with it for several months. Biotin is not expensive.

After having strong nails for 60 years I now find that they tend to break and chip. I have been using a nail strengthening polish from the drug store. It is inexpensive and seems to help. Why don't you give that a try first, before you start ingesting vitamins, etc.

July 17, 2013 Flag

I had really badly bitten nails, they were horrible! If you want really strong long gorgeous nails, here's my secret. First, stop all nail bitting, nail polish removers and dark colored nail polish.

Tips For The Perfect Nails

August 21, 2015 Flag

My nails are super short and thin. If I grow them out, they don't stick to my actual finger which makes them super easy the bend. When I do grow them out, which for me is not even enough to reach the tips of my fingers, they are white and brittle.

closeup of nails
Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have been having trouble with brittle nails lately (and never before in my life!), and I am having good luck with a nail hardner polish that I buy at the local drug store. It is just a clear polish that says it will help strengthen nails. Try something like that to start. Do you have any other health issues? I suspect, although I have no proof, that my nails may be not growing as well as they have in the past because I am slightly anemic. I am now taking Vit B and Iron to alleviate this, and we will see if it helps my nails.

Try using Coconut oil, used for cooking. Coconut Oil is a very useful

for many uses. Rub into your nails and cuticles every day, 2 or 3 times if you can. Keep in a cool place away from heat. Type in Coconut Oil then images.

June 8, 2009 Flag

What causes thin fingernails?

By ahandy45

A nutritionist I worked with for a couple of years advised me that ridges in the nails were related to inadequate protein intake. Most average sized women (I'm an 8) need around 20-25g with every meal. In general women eat lots of carbs, especially for breakfast, and almost no protein. I made a lot of changes based on his advice, and I haven't been able to keep them all up in this economy (good fish oil is expensive), but I get a decent amount of protein with every meal, and I have no more ridges. My nails grow like hard, hearty weeds. I like them short, so, hey, no help for me, but they look better. :)

I had this problem for 2 to 3 years. I read on another forum about Nailtiques Formula is a protein formula. I started seeing results in 3 weeks. Put it on everyday. My nails are great. It is $17 for a large bottle or $10 for a small one. It is worth every penny. Especially since I spent a ton of money on so many other products. The only place I have seen it is Walgreen's and CVS Pharmacy.

July 4, 2011 Flag

I used to bite my nails for years, and now that I finally stopped, whenever I try to grow them out, they keep on breaking, and also they chip very easily. The tips of my nails aren't white, but see through.

Load More
Health & Beauty Beauty Nail TipsFebruary 1, 2013
Faux Fingernails
Using Faux Fingernails
sore nails
Remedies for Nail Pain After Removing Acrylic Nails
Facial Wart
Facial Wart Remedies
A woman looking at the ends of her damaged hair.
Remedies for Thin Hair