Removing Gum From a Dryer

To remove chewing gum from the inside of the dryer, take a dryer sheet and wet with water. Stick the wet dryer sheet on top of the gummy mess and leave there for 15 minutes, then wipe the gum off. This is fast and easy.

Source: My brother gave us this tip.

By Monica from Cortez, CO

I have never posted a comment to a site like this before, but I must say using the dryer sheet worked like a charm.

I washed my grandsons clothes and one of them must have had gum in their pocket. Thank you so much for the tip.

Oh what a night. We just moved into a new home with, of course, a new washer and dryer. My 14 year old daughter left a pack of gum in her pockets and, well, you guessed it, the gum made it from the washer into the dryer. The look on my wife's face when she opened the dryer with blue gum streaks and clumps everywhere, was horror, and then the screaming began. I calmly sat at the computer and found this site (thank God). The screaming continued into my daughters room while I soaked the dryer sheets and applied them to the barrel. In 10 minutes the barrel was new again. Thank you. Noah

P.S. The screaming and gnashing of teeth continues.

Dear god, this is what I was saying at 2 in the morning after getting gum all on the inside of my parents new dryer for the second time. The first time I thought I was gonna have to face the literal executioner. Thank you so much for this post! You saved my life, now if only I would have done this before I spent 2 hours scraping, lol

If the gum is very thin and spread out to most of the dryer then using a metal scraper of some kind will do the trick. It happened to our dryer and we didn't have any dryer sheets (only the 3 in 1 things) so we tried the scrapper hoping that we wouldn't have to apply a whole lot of peanut butter, or cream, or chemical to the entire inside of our dryer.

Wow! I was skeptical but this works like a charm. Thank you Monica!

I tried all those tactics on every site. The only thing that worked in my stainless steel dryer was baking soda. Sprinkle it in there. Take a paper towel and it rubs off. It does not take much elbow grease, but you do have work to do. Use it like you would in the sink. Do not wet it. Just a dry paper towel. My son left a whole pack in his pocket and it was on every inch of my dryer. I tried the dryer sheets, with and without wet towels. I tried peanut butter. The only thing that worked was dry baking soda. Good Luck!

I have a gas dryer. It is not a stainless steal drum, it is white so not sure of material. Have streaks of gum residue all over the drum - overwhelmed.

Peanut butter? Mayonnaise? No, no, no, ladies. Wet a dryer sheet and let it soak for 15 minutes. Doesn't matter if the dryer is warm or cold. When this happened to me my dryer was warm. A little scrubbing with the wet dryer sheet is all it took for 99% of it. The really bad spot I had to let them sit for a few minutes then scrub with the dryer sheet.

I was impressed to find such a simple and easy solution here. I never would have thought that a single dryer sheet would remove the hardened streaks of gum so easily.

Thanks! :)

This was magical! Gum is off the glass on the front of my dryer! Thank you!

Worked like a charm!!!

It's awesome that this works. On the other hand, I'm now horrified that I've been using dryer sheets, since anything that can dissolve gum that fast cannot be good.

A dryer full of clothing.
Removing Gum from the Dryer
Home and Garden Cleaning AppliancesMay 25, 2010
Photo of an angel craft made form used dryer sheets.
Making Dryer Sheet Angels
young boy blowing huge bubble
Removing Gum From Carpet
Removing Gum From Shoes
Removing Gum From Shoes
Removing Gum from Hair
Removing Gum from Hair