Removing Gum from the Dryer

Category Appliances
A wash day mess can happen if gum is left in a clothes pocket. This guide is about removing gum from the dryer.

To remove chewing gum from the inside of the dryer, take a dryer sheet and wet with water. Stick the wet dryer sheet on top of the gummy mess and leave there for 15 minutes, then wipe the gum off. This is fast and easy.

Source: My brother gave us this tip.

By Monica from Cortez, CO

To get gum out of the dryer, I just used a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser (50% stronger one). This worked better for me than the dryer sheet method which I tried first. First, wet the sponge, then scrub in circular motion. If too stubborn to come off go over again.

Directions:

When I found the gum, I didn't want to put a chemical in my dryer, nor did I want to scrape it with a knife and an ice cube. Here is how I got gum out of my dryer fast.

I had saved a couple of those plastic fishnet bottle or candle covers (open at both ends) in my junk drawer. I took a rubber band and sealed off one end of the plastic cover. I filled it with ice and sealed off the other end with another rubber band. I scrubbed using the ice bag as a sponge and followed with a dry rag. It made quick work of getting the gum out of the dryer.

How do you remove melted chewing gum from a dryer?

By Katrina

Answers

Try freezing it with ice cubes first till hard, then you should probably be able to chip it away.

Good luck!

Massage a small dab of creamy peanut butter on it and wipe away. WD-40 on a paper towel may be just as good.

Believe it or not, use a fabric softener dryer sheet. It happened to me and I found this tip on another website. Just rub and it works like magic.

I tried the dryer sheets but difficult if whole drum is coated. This worked for me. Put a soaking wet large beach towel in dryer along with 6 wet fabric softener dryer sheets. Run dryer on low heat for 90 minutes. This removed almost all of the gum. I had only a couple of spots to work on after that.

How do I get gum out of my dryer? It was left in someones pocket and went though the washer and then the dryer. Needless to say, it's stuck on the dryer walls.

By Deena P.

Answers

Fingernail polish remover, or acetone. I'd throw a few white wet washcloths or rags in the dryer for a cycle after you're done removing the gum, so you don't accidentally pull the color out of clothes you've just washed in the next dry cycle. Plus, it will help dissipate the fumes.

Depends if it's in a few places or spun all over the place. I would start with making that room as cold as possible then use a stiff, sharp, plastic ended spatula to scrap the gum off. If it's cold enough, it wiil even "pop" right off. If it's warm, of course, it will just smear it around all the worse.

If it's all over the drum, the acetone idea is pretty good too. Just make sure you put it on the rag and don't pour it in the drum (could dissolve plastic parts). The same would go if you used brake cleaner or carburetor spray. With any of these chemicals, open the windows and ventilate that room well. That is because of the explosion factor as well as fume damage to your lungs and light-headedness.
Best of luck
Mike

How do you get pink, sticky, caked gum out of your dryer?

By Pam

Answers

Rub the gum area with ice cubes in a plastic baggie. Should harden enough to flake off with your fingernails. Use a wet rag to clean up flakes.

Been there, done that! I was ready to wring my son's neck. Then I found a tip online saying to use a dryer fabric softener sheet.

I couldn't believe how well it works. Use it dry and just rub. It also works great on the sticky soap gunk that builds up around the edge of the washing machine.

A pack of gum is stuck in my dryer. How do I take it off?

By Mary

Answers

Have you tried using peanut butter or mayonnaise. Put a dab on a small scrubby sponge and in a circling motion scrub on sticky area until it loosens.

My son did his laundry and forgot to take out some strawberry flavored gum. The fabrics were varied, but all are light colored. He put it in the dryer and I now have pink stains on the clothes, and some gum stuck in the dryer. How do I fix this?

By Judy from NY

I found a solution to get dried gum out of my dryer. It was to use a washcloth and the liquid Shout it Out. I would spray the Shout it Out and let it soak and then a few minutes later use the washcloth and it would come off fairly easy.

Chibi

Answers:

Getting Gum Out of a Dryer

This works to get gum out of carpet, so it should work in other places too: peanut butter. Just spread/smear peanut butter on the gum and it will break the nasty stuff down. (They ought to outlaw that vile substance). (10/15/2004)

By Warren D. Lockaby

Getting Gum Out of a Dryer

I just read this forum to see what other people said. I would say that the Goof Off will give the best results. In a dryer drum use the new gel Goof Off for best results. The gel will help to get the drum all the way around clean. (12/05/2004)

By sears associate

Getting Gum Out of a Dryer

My oldest son left a whole pack of gum in his jeans pocket and my brand new dryer was laced with sticky residue. I just used Spot Shot Emergency Stain Wipes. It worked like a charm, took about 5 minutes to clean up and did not leave a strong odor afterward! I swear by it. This will become a regular in my household for the "emergencies" caused by my sons. (01/02/2005)

By Angela

Getting Gum Out of a Dryer

Damp dryer sheet worked like a charm. Dried up gum in the dryer came off with very little elbow grease in about 10 minutes. Thanks. (04/21/2007)

By Dave C.

Getting Gum Out of a Dryer

Rubbing alcohol works as well. Put the alcohol on the gum, let it set for about a minute and wipe it off. It takes a little elbow grease, but it makes the dryer look shiny and brand new. (05/31/2007)

Getting Gum Out of a Dryer

I found that the Scrubbing Bubbles bathroom cleaner works really well. Just spray it on section by section and let it sit. I scrubbed it with a textured sponge. (08/09/2008)

By Troy

Getting Gum Out of a Dryer

I didn't have any Shout, so I used the Spray N Wash with Resolve in it, with the dryer sheets and it came off really easily! Thanks everyone. (08/15/2008)

By Kimmy

Getting Gum Out of a Dryer

I accidentally left gum in my pockets. I warmed up the dryer and sprayed on Oxiclean and used a sponge to wipe it away. Perfect! (09/02/2008)

By Melissa

Getting Gum Out of a Dryer

Wow, Spray and Wash and the Bounce sheet worked like a charm, fast and easy. Within 5 minutes my extra large dryer drum was spic and span and free of any gum, thanks to all. (09/11/2008)

By Diana

Getting Gum Out of a Dryer

I love this sight. I used Glade Fabric and Air and sprayed it into the dryer, let sit for seconds and then used several dryer sheets and scrubbed it right out within 15 minutes. Thanks to you all for your help and advice. I thought my new dryer was wasted. (10/05/2008)

By Allison in WY

Getting dried gum out of a dryer? Downy, straight Downy fabric softener. I took handfuls of it, and smeared all over the inside of my dryer, waited 10 minutes, and it wiped right out with a dry cloth.

By Theresa from Arthur from Arthur

Answers:

Removing Gum From a Dryer

My husband had a full pack of gum in the dryer for 70 minutes. It was nicely smeared throughout the entire dryer. He tried scrapping it off with a spatula and it did nothing. Out of frustration I went to the internet, Whoever said to use dryer sheets is a genius! Soak any brand of dryer sheet in water, place on gum spots, soak for 10 minutes. Rub off with the same dryer sheets. It was off in 5 minutes! Thank you.

P.S. My dryer was stone cold when I applied the dryer sheets. (02/15/2010)

By Vanessa

Removing Gum From a Dryer

If you run the dryer for a few minutes to soften the gum, without any clothes in it, of course, it makes it easier to wipe the gum out with the dryer sheet. (04/03/2010)

By Wendy

How do you remove chewing gum from the dryer?

Colin

Answers:

Removing Gum From a Dryer

I used a plastic spatula and scraped it off after putting snuggle fabric softener on it. It worked really well. racer (03/10/2009)

By Robyn Fed

Removing Gum From a Dryer

A little WD40 on a rag works great! I always wipe it clean with a damp cloth before I put clothes in. (03/11/2009)

By Jill

Removing Gum From a Dryer

OK, I just had the same problem and I was really upset. I took the advice of: fabric softener sheets. This is the way to go. What people forgot to tell ya is that you must soak the sheets completely, lay them over the gum spots, and let it sit there for over ten minutes. When you go back to the dryer, wipe it all off. It's so easy I almost fell over. You may have to rotate the drum and do each spot, but it's so worth it! Thank God for the internet and smart people! (05/19/2009)

By kat

Removing Gum From a Dryer

I just used bounce dryer sheets soaked in water. I put them on the heaviest gum spots and let it sit
there for 5-10 minutes. It was very easy to wipe off. (05/28/2009)

By Laura Willard

Removing Gum From a Dryer

I tried using wet dryer sheets just like you said! What a lifesaver. It took about 30 minutes to remove all the gum but it was so worth it. (06/05/2009)

By Annette

There is gum all over the barrel of my clothes dryer. Help, how do I get this off?

My sons pants went through the dryer with gum in the pocket. How do I get the gum off the dryer wall?

Gum left in child's pocket was washed and dried. Now the gum is stuck on the inside walls of my dryer.

My husband left a pack of gum in his pants pocket, I didn't know this of course until I washed them and found the gum stuck to the side of the washer.

My daughters left gum and stickers in their pockets. Now I have gum and stickers on the drum of my dryer.