Defrosting and Cleaning a Freezer

What is the procedure for cleaning and defrosting the freezer?

By Peter from UAE

Round up a few large boxes, the heavier the better. Unplug the freezer. Unload the items quickly trying to place like items together without taking too much time to sort. Cover each box as it's filled completely with a large blanket folded as small as the box (no wasted blanket on the floor.

Push all boxes together so they can help each other stay cold. Put a large fan in front of the open freezer and turn it on high. Leave it until the ice melts as least part way. Clean up water and wipe out freezer.

Replace items in the order you wish but do it quickly. Don't thing too much, this stuff needs to get back in the freezer.

Close the door, get a cold drink, and pat yourself on the back!

Step 1. Take out all your items in the freezer and put them into a large black bag (heavy duty bag). Wrap a duvet around it to keep the cold in.

Step 2. Fill large bowls of steaming hot water and place on the shelves inside the freezer. Place a thick towel on the floor to catch drips.

Step 3. Wait.

Step 4. Once the ice is loosened use a plastic scraper to remove the built up ice. Never use a metal implement as this can puncture the walls releasing the CFC's.

Step 5. Once cleaned, with a cotton cloth liberally smear Glycerin all over your freezer walls. This makes a clean-up the next time a lot quicker.

Step 6. Pop back all your foodstuffs back in the freezer.

While I was defrosting I counted all of my portions of meats and main meal type items and made a list to keep on my freezer. Now I just tick them off once I use a portion and that way I can see, at a glance what I have and haven't got when I next go shopping!

Monique :)

I use a large ice chest. Unplug the appliance and put all the items you can in the chest. By then the ice is slipping a bit and you can use your hair dryer to hurry it up. quick as a wink it is cleaned and you just put the stuff back in. Be sure to discard all that is outdated or opened or otherwise ruined. Good luck!

No one mentioned to turn the freezer off initially, before even taking the stuff out. Just make sure you remember to turn it back on later! I use a blow-dryer to help defrost the ice quickly, but you must be with it. I use a heavy duty, waterproof extension cord that is well grounded, and make sure no water drips onto the blow-dryer. Mine will shut off automatically if it does, so electrocution isn't possible. It sure makes the job a lot quicker and easier.

Hey peter! I lived in jumeira in the UAE for 5 years. My daughter went to Dubai college and my son went to emirates international while we lived there. it was quite an experience! Anyway, one tip I have for you is that after you have finished defrosting the freezer, wipe out the inside with a cloth dampened with glycerin. Trust me, when you next come to defrost the freezer, the ice will just fall off in sheets and you will finish the job in a snap!

Defrosting Your Freezer
Defrosting Your Freezer
Home and Garden Cleaning AppliancesMarch 16, 2010
Open chest freezer
Cleaning a Freezer After a Power Outage
Small chest freezer with top closed.
Cleaning a Freezer
Chest Freezer
Chest Freezer Reviews
Ice Cube Trays in a Freezer
Cleaning a Smelly Freezer
🎉
🎄