Getting Rid of Parvo Virus in the Yard and Home

When this virus has been present in your home and yard, you want to make sure it is completely eliminated so it does infect other dogs. This is a guide about getting rid of parvo virus in the yard and home.

June 4, 2016 Flag

My husband and l need advice. This past Tuesday our boy, Rocko, started getting sick, he was throwing up and his energy was pretty much gone and we thought it was just the heat. Again it continued on Wednesday and he passed away Thursday morning. It took only 2 days. Before that, we didn't even notice any signs. It's been an emotional wreck. The vet did confirm he had parvo.

So now we noticed something in our female dog. Her nipples are starting to come out. We have a feeling she might be pregnant with his babies. So where do you go from here? I see all over that bleach is the one cleaner that will kill the virus, so we bought 10 bottles of it. What is the best way to make sure this virus is killed. I can't feel safe in this house until I know for sure I've killed it. How many times do I bleach everything, or if I use straight bleach would it work better then diluted bleach?

I have 2 other dogs and need to make sure they are safe. I'm so stressed and I'm still having a hard time after losing Rocko. So any advice will be greatly appreciated.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I took in a dog for a friend who was being evicted, 2 weeks later the dog turned out to be pregnant and 1 week befor she was due she caught parvo. Owner basically washed her hand of the dog, I took the dog to the vet and they said her chances of surviving were very slim especially because she was pregnant. Today the pups are 10 days old, healthy as can be, and mom is a ok! Keep the dog contained and clean. I went to the thrift store and bought sacks of receiving blankets constantly switched them out, remember you only need a little bit of bleach I believe 30:1, disinfect dog with a warm cloth bleached, do not let the dog back on the grass only on concrete if possible and make sure all areas are bleached befor and after she walks threw and relives her self. Hope this helps! Hydrate hydrate hydrate!!

The best advice that anyone can give is ...that it doesnt matter if you bleach your yard. Some person so e place twenty miles away lost a pup to parvo. The are extremely heartbroke. So they throw their couches and mattress or whatever aeay. It goes to the landfill. Meanwhile your bleaching your yard to get"rid of it". A crow lands on a infected piece of garbage then flies and lands in your yard a few days after you bleach. BAM! You got parvo in your yard again. So my advice to anyone who wants to bring a puppy home to a house that has ever had parvo. Clean your house as many times as you need to feel like you've got every place the sick puppy every was. Then wait a few months. Then if you did a pup you want to get. Before you get it clean your house one more time. When you bring new pup home have a area that is designated him as a potty place. But lots if puppy pads cuz...DO NOT...DO NOT...can NOT stress this enough...DO NOT,!!!!! Let your new puppies get hit any dirt till a month ate it's last set of vaccines. Dint take him to friend's, don't show your neighbors, don't key anybody come in your house with their shoes on. Then when ask that is done. You have a really good chance that your pup will stay parvo free. Just don't take them out. At all!!!!!!!!!

Hi I am reading your post and hoping to God I get something out of this to keep my sons dog from dying. He would be so devastated. My mother lives in the same house. She got a puppy that looks just like yours. Puppy got parvo and we didn't start the antibiotics soon enough. We loved her a lot.I got this other puppy from someone who was giving them away at Frys Marketplace. He told us he had his shots. My sons puppy always played with my mom's puppy that died. I wonder if that man was lying because my sons puppy is showing the same signs. Can you please give me specific details on what to do and how to get rid of it? Would be very appreciated. Thank you

March 13, 2016 Flag

I recently moved into a different kind of pet populated home and we are worried about parvo etc. What could I sterilize my yard with that would make it safe for my pups? The other animals like chickens and multiple dogs and cats that previously lived there worry us.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Just cause the dog is vaccinated does not mean it can not get parvo!!!! I just had a 8 month old Great Dane get it took him to the vet and since he had all of his shots they said it was last thing on the list of what it could be. He died the next day and when they did the autopsy they said it was parvo. So just cause he had all his shots the vet didn't want to treat it like parvo even though he had all the symptoms of it.

My 7 month old puppy was hospitalized this morning for parvo. She is FULLY vaccinated and she still got the virus. The vet said it's much like the flu. Every season a new strain comes along that isn't covered by the vaccination. So even if you have had your dogs vaccinated parvo is something to worry about. If your pet has already had parvo and has survived it can not get it again, like the chicken pox.

3 days ago i lost a 19 week old puppy to what the vets think was parvo . 16 hours ago another dog of mine gave birth to 4 puppies what do i gotta do to clean ?

August 25, 2013 Flag

I have the parvo virus in my yard. One pup survived and the other died. If my dog has pups what would the survival rate be for the pups?

By Niomi from Australia

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The Parvo virus is particularly hardy as well as wide spread. In my research, the general consensus is that the virus can live in a yard up to three years. You can bleach your yard to kill the virus, but be aware this will be detrimental to the grass.

And when you're done with the cleaning be aware that rodents can easily carry the virus back in to your yard. It is frustrating.

So, you're best bet would be to hold off on pups for now. Clean inside as best you can. But one dog contracting Parvo does not say a lot about what will happen with others. There are many factors involved. Vaccines or no vaccines, when were the vaccines given, what brand were they, what strain of Parvo was it. I have two five month old pups, who were vaccinated, who broke with Parvo a week ago. It looks like they will both make it and I'm busy cleaning right now, so I sympathize.

What I do if my puppy has parvo? Do we have to keep him hydrated?

It's a 50/50 chance for them they could all live, they could all die, it maybe only one will catch it, it all kind of depends on how strong those little puppies immune systems are. It's better to have your puppies in an enclosed area away from the parvo infested area until you get them all vaccinated and still even a couple weeks after you vaccinate them cause it needs to kick into their whole system. I would also recommend spraying the parvo infested ares with bleach!!!!

September 6, 2007 Flag

I need the recipe for how many spoonfuls of water and bleach to give your puppy for parvovirus. I will be getting a new puppy next week and would like to know in case he gets the virus. He is a Chihuahua and Feist mix. I already have a miniature Feist but he is 1 1/2 yrs old. I had gotten a Shih Tzu pup from a friend and he got the parvo and had to be put to sleep one week after I had gotten him that was a month ago. Then I found this site and read the post and would greatly appreciate the help. Thanks.

Linda from Batesville, MS

Editor's Note: Bleach can be deadly if too concentrated. Contact a veterinarian for a vaccine as soon as you get your new puppy.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Dogs that are old enough to drink from a pool and who have owners wealthy enough to own and maintain pools will be adult dogs that have all their vaccinations. Adult, fully vaccinated dogs rarely get parvo. This is unsurprising and certainly not coincidental.

"It's bleach water and pedialyte and pepto and many other things including anti emetics and antibiotics."

So, it wasn't the pedialye, pepto, anti-emetics, and antibiotics and "many other things" that cured them? It was definitely the bleach?

No No ! The bleach is for CLEANING AND DISINFECTING! Do not give a puppy bleach ! 1 part bleach to 10 parts water is suggested and what I used as a dialysis nurse.

December 26, 2014 Flag

My best friend died of parvo. He would have been a year old on Thanksgiving. I miss him so much now. My wife wants to get another dog from a shelter that is at least 3 years old. Do you think it's OK to bring one home? It has only been a month and two weeks since my Chico died of parvo.

By Roger F. from San Antonio, TX

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Steam clean or shampoo your carpets, throw away all old bedding, toys and bowls no matter how useful or sentimental.

And of course, now you know you should not bring a puppy home until it has completely finished its series of shots. Let the original owner care for it until then, or adopt a dog that has all its shots.

Parvo can last up to 7+ years in the soil. If your planning to get another dog you must make sure it is vaccinated for at least 8-10 weeks before bringing it home. I'd still be very leery with a puppy an older vaccinated dog has a better chance of not getting sick.

Bleach & hot water wash everything your puppy touched & make sure vaccines are utd parvo is a horrible way to die. Read up on vaccines know when its booster time. You can't live in fear of parvo even tho its hard after watching your best friend die just be smart wash bleach vaccines & if symptoms start with new dog get help asap learn how to do sub - q fluids its good for many reasons. Good luck, just remember bleach is good.

I'm not sure if I'm late or not to say this but through my own research, I've learned that parvovirus can survive in an environment for at least 6 months and roughly up to a year (if not properly disinfected). As for in a yard or more "organic/natural environment," it will take several years, regardless of the use of bleach on the property.

May 6, 2016 Flag

My mom moved to a new home recently and decided to get two puppies. Both were from a nice breeder and they have had their first round of shots. Today her oldest puppy developed parvo. We are worried about her other puppy now and what needs done so that if Jack makes it that he don't get it again or any other dog there for that matter.

We have dealt with parvo before and know how to clean the house for the most part, but could use some tips. We are really worried about the yard. Ideas?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Spray your yard whither bleach and water that how I got rid of it

March 15, 2011 Flag

How long does the virus remain and can I remove parvo out of my yard?

By Barbara from Yakim, WA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I am sorry to say but Parvo can live in the soil for up to one year. The usual method for cleaning up the parvo virus is bleach/water. Please call your veterinarian for any instructions. Please do not bring another dog into your yard until you are sure the Parvo Virus has been eliminated. Good luck.

Parvo can remain in the yard for two years or more. Most people will say to spray with bleach to help but that's bad for the environment. I have heard that there are products out there that will help clean up the problem safely but no guarantee the virus will be completely gone. Call around to assorted pet stores and home and garden stores to see what both would recommend.

Over all the years I have been taking care of stray and discarded animals I only have found one true way of getting rid of parvo and that is bleach and on the yard. I would suggest applying it once a week in an outdoor bleach amount at least a couple of times. Most importantly is that before bringing a new pet to the yard make sure it has had all its parvo shots for at least a month so it is resistant to the virus and the biggest thing to remember is always pick up dogs poop daily.

August 24, 2010 Flag

I recently lost a five month old puppy due to parvo. I want to get a new 10 month old Westie, she needs her last two sets of shots. I plan on taking her for her third set the day I pick her up. I cleaned my whole back yard with bleach, got rid of every single thing he played with or touched back there. I cleaned the inside of my house with color safe bleach. Do you think she will be fine?

By Valerie from CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

What does your vet reccommend? He should be an authority on the subject.

Color safe bleach is not a disinfectant like regular bleach is.

That comment about "skipping the puppy silliness"..If any dog comes into contact with the infected area, that dog is at risk of getting it, the only reason why it is more common in puppies is because their tiny bodies immune system isn't nearly strong enough to fight it off but if you get a grown dog with a weak immune system that isn't producing enough antibodies, even with vaccines that dog might just as well get the Parvo Virus as well, I HIGHLY suggest you Treat the area, either with Bleach, or color safe bleach and disinfectant Do NOT go purchasing another dog until the areas are cleaned. Parvo is a Virus that attacks the inner lining of a dogs stomach allowing bad and harmful bacteria to enter the dogs blood stream, and it tears down whats left of the immune system if untreated allowing other illnesses and diseases to Accure which is what initially kills the dog. even vaccinated dogs have a 10% window to come under attack by the virus, 85% of cases treated early enough and aggressively Survive But 90% Of cases caught too late or not treated end up dying. Parvo can show symptoms, Or it can hide it's self to where you don't know until it's too late. Please treat the areas, If need be get in contact over the phone or in-person with your local vet and Ask them about over the counter sprays or commercial Sprays.

June 9, 2012 Flag

When will parvo be gone? Before my dog died of parvo, our grass was over 30cm long, after he died we cut the grass and it was dead. Is the virus still in my yard? It's been 3 months since he died and I want to know what can help get rid of parvo (other than bleach). Thanks:)

By ME:D from P.E

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You need to talk to your vet or other professional. I believe Parvo lives in the soil a long time. Bleach is what I have heard will kill it. You just can't be too careful where Parvo is concerned. Sorry for loss.

August 22, 2009 Flag

How long before you can let your dogs outside, after a pravo outbreak? I have bleached my yard twice, and my other 2 dogs were all updated on shots prior to the outbreak.

The puppy who had pravo was taken to another house for treatment, plus I have bleached my house twice.

By tara102 from OH

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Is this 100% effective do you know?

no

Bleach definetly. Now Parvo can live in the soil for up to 20yrs yes its amazing. Cold or fresh humid areas are its best friend. On puppies im using the 1 egg and pedyalite blend. To keep them hydrated n help the stomach linings restore. I made the mistake of putting their shots too young barely 6wks. Its recommended to do it by 8wks. When their bodies are stronger

March 20, 2015 Flag

How do I wash myself to not get dogs infected with parvo?

By Mia from Adelanto, CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 14, 2010 Flag

How do you treat your lawn for Parvo from a puppy.

By Paulette from Lakewood, WA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Definitely consult a vet on this one. Parvo is very life threatening and not worth taking any chances whatsoever!

September 25, 2014 Flag

How do I get the parvo virus out of my yard?

By Billie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 14, 2010 Flag

We had 3 puppies get parvo about 4 months ago. They all died; what do I need to do to my yard to make it safe for a new puppy?

By Angeia from Gridley, CA

Answers:

How to Rid the Yard of Parvo, Can You Get It More Than Once?

If you are on a budget, you can give parvo shots yourself to new puppies. Go to feed store and buy shot and ask for a syringe. Comes with instructions. Never wait on the shot. I had a pup die of parvo once and I never want to experience that again. If you are even thinking of a pup make arrangements for the shot before you bring them home, whether by yourself or through a vet.

However, I'd talk to the vet and ask for advice. It's a terrible virus, and I'm not sure what to do. But the shot preparations must be done before any dog is brought home. (11/11/2009)

By PIKKA

Read the archived link below because there are lots of answers. I've also heard that another puppy/dog should not be brought in the home or yard for at least six months after a parvo outbreak even after thorough cleanup. Be sure to sanitize inside your home, too! I am sorry you lost your puppies. (11/16/2009)

By Deeli

I've had my bouts with Parvo as well. Terrible disease that kills in 24 hrs. My vet advised me that no new dog should be brought into a yard where an infected dog has been for at least two years. And all indoor housing (your house and dog houses) should be treated with bleach, the only thing that kills the virus. This also brings to mind another reason I am against invisible fencing. Animals with a variety of contagious diseases could more easily enter your yard. I hope this helps.

Susan (11/18/2009)

By SWG

Several people have said that bleaching your yard should get rid of the virus however, there is no sure fire way to be sure the virus is gone. The best thing to do is follow your vet's advice. The vet I worked for advised waiting one to two years before getting a new puppy. Also, the vaccinations are only completely effective after the whole series has been given. One shot doesn't do the trick. Good luck. (11/18/2009)

By renee5774

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning AdviceFebruary 12, 2014
Ebola Virus Test
Ebola Virus Charities
dog with parvo
Information About Parvo
A dog being seen by a veterinarian.
Can a Dog Get Parvo Again?
Puppy Smelling Flower
Getting a Puppy After Losing One to Parvo
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 16, 2017 at 4:53:09 PM on 10.0.0.82 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.