Getting Rid of Parvo Virus in the Yard and Home

When this virus has been present in your home and yard, you want to make sure it is completely eliminated so it does infect other dogs. This is a guide about getting rid of parvo virus in the yard and home.

My dog is in her 4th day of parvo today. I'm taking care of her at home doing everything I can for her. She has been everywhere in my room and still sleeps with me because she cries when in the cage. I haven't let her out of my room since she started showing symptoms, but I'm sure it's tracked all over my house. It is pretty impossible not to. I can't bleach everything. I was wondering what I need to do when she heals to keep her from catching it again. She is 10 weeks old and has had no vaccinations.

your dog can still get parvo even if they have been vaccinated.

you must force pedialite down the throat get vet put ivee in and keep in bathtub stay dillagent sir

lime intersting i bleach the bleep out of back yard and after 1000 bucks she still with us today my MAGGIE german shorthair pointer

My husband and l need advice. This past Tuesday our boy, Rocko, started getting sick, he was throwing up and his energy was pretty much gone and we thought it was just the heat. Again it continued on Wednesday and he passed away Thursday morning. It took only 2 days. Before that, we didn't even notice any signs. It's been an emotional wreck. The vet did confirm he had parvo.

So now we noticed something in our female dog. Her nipples are starting to come out. We have a feeling she might be pregnant with his babies. So where do you go from here? I see all over that bleach is the one cleaner that will kill the virus, so we bought 10 bottles of it. What is the best way to make sure this virus is killed. I can't feel safe in this house until I know for sure I've killed it. How many times do I bleach everything, or if I use straight bleach would it work better then diluted bleach?

I have 2 other dogs and need to make sure they are safe. I'm so stressed and I'm still having a hard time after losing Rocko. So any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Answer Was this helpful? 1

How to kill parvo ana wood doghouse are should we just burn it ?

I have had many dogs contract parvo. The key to helping your puppy survive is giving it fluids. Start out with just a few drops every hour. And slowly increase this amount over the next few days. Parvo makes their stomach hurt and they won't eat or drink, this causes dehydration abd that is what kills your pet.

Micordial Silver, milk+garlic, 7 in 1 vaccination. Look into all these

I recently moved into a different kind of pet populated home and we are worried about parvo etc. What could I sterilize my yard with that would make it safe for my pups? The other animals like chickens and multiple dogs and cats that previously lived there worry us.

First off has the mother ever had parvo? Is she vaccinated.? Past these obvious questions. Get really strong bleach from home depot or wherever. And a Hudson sprayer. Mix bleach and water. I do 70water to 30 bleach. Then spray all of the items of cloth that the sick puppy touched. Including your clothes. Hopefully you kept him contained in a small area. Clean it once clean it twice clean it till you feel ok about it. If the mother was vaccinated or a survivor her colostrum will have immunities to fight parvo. It last around ten yo thirteen weeks. The new pupies won't be leaving their mommy for a while so if you have a area the sick puppy wasn't ever in then I would keep them there. Keep the pups inside till they get new homes. Never ever let the pups paws hit dirt till a month after last sheet of shots. Good luck.oh and don't use any of the bedding the sick puppy touched. Dint throw it out. Burn it. Seriously burn it! I pulled three puppies through parvo a year ago. One after the other. Talk about stressful. Three different breeds. Three different ages. One was a tiny Chihuahua who now is fully grown and only weighs 5#. So you could imagine how small was. I just successful reared eight puppies in the house and outside and none of them got it. So don't worry to much. Just keep the mom and the pups out of the area. And clean clean clean. Before the pups start to move around. Or ask a friend's or family member whose house you feel is safe and see if you can let the pups and mom stay there till you feel ok to bring them home. You can't get it out of your yard. Birds carry it around on their feet. Don't let anyone wear their shoes in your house. Make them check them at the door.

that the same thing as malpractice as if it would've been a human so pretty much you have a law suite

Anonymous

lost my dog in parvo if have any ideas please replay to get rid of it in your yard

I have the parvo virus in my yard. One pup survived and the other died. If my dog has pups what would the survival rate be for the pups?

By Niomi from Australia

Answer Was this helpful? 1

The Parvo virus is particularly hardy as well as wide spread. In my research, the general consensus is that the virus can live in a yard up to three years. You can bleach your yard to kill the virus, but be aware this will be detrimental to the grass.

And when you're done with the cleaning be aware that rodents can easily carry the virus back in to your yard. It is frustrating.

So, you're best bet would be to hold off on pups for now. Clean inside as best you can. But one dog contracting Parvo does not say a lot about what will happen with others. There are many factors involved. Vaccines or no vaccines, when were the vaccines given, what brand were they, what strain of Parvo was it. I have two five month old pups, who were vaccinated, who broke with Parvo a week ago. It looks like they will both make it and I'm busy cleaning right now, so I sympathize.

Anonymous

What I do if my puppy has parvo? Do we have to keep him hydrated?

Anonymous

It's a 50/50 chance for them they could all live, they could all die, it maybe only one will catch it, it all kind of depends on how strong those little puppies immune systems are. It's better to have your puppies in an enclosed area away from the parvo infested area until you get them all vaccinated and still even a couple weeks after you vaccinate them cause it needs to kick into their whole system. I would also recommend spraying the parvo infested ares with bleach!!!!

I need the recipe for how many spoonfuls of water and bleach to give your puppy for parvovirus. I will be getting a new puppy next week and would like to know in case he gets the virus. He is a Chihuahua and Feist mix. I already have a miniature Feist but he is 1 1/2 yrs old. I had gotten a Shih Tzu pup from a friend and he got the parvo and had to be put to sleep one week after I had gotten him that was a month ago. Then I found this site and read the post and would greatly appreciate the help. Thanks.

Linda from Batesville, MS

Editor's Note: Bleach can be deadly if too concentrated. Contact a veterinarian for a vaccine as soon as you get your new puppy.

Dogs that are old enough to drink from a pool and who have owners wealthy enough to own and maintain pools will be adult dogs that have all their vaccinations. Adult, fully vaccinated dogs rarely get parvo. This is unsurprising and certainly not coincidental.

"It's bleach water and pedialyte and pepto and many other things including anti emetics and antibiotics."

So, it wasn't the pedialye, pepto, anti-emetics, and antibiotics and "many other things" that cured them? It was definitely the bleach?

Anonymous

No No ! The bleach is for CLEANING AND DISINFECTING! Do not give a puppy bleach ! 1 part bleach to 10 parts water is suggested and what I used as a dialysis nurse.

My best friend died of parvo. He would have been a year old on Thanksgiving. I miss him so much now. My wife wants to get another dog from a shelter that is at least 3 years old. Do you think it's OK to bring one home? It has only been a month and two weeks since my Chico died of parvo.

By Roger F. from San Antonio, TX

Steam clean or shampoo your carpets, throw away all old bedding, toys and bowls no matter how useful or sentimental.

And of course, now you know you should not bring a puppy home until it has completely finished its series of shots. Let the original owner care for it until then, or adopt a dog that has all its shots.

Parvo can last up to 7+ years in the soil. If your planning to get another dog you must make sure it is vaccinated for at least 8-10 weeks before bringing it home. I'd still be very leery with a puppy an older vaccinated dog has a better chance of not getting sick.

Bleach & hot water wash everything your puppy touched & make sure vaccines are utd parvo is a horrible way to die. Read up on vaccines know when its booster time. You can't live in fear of parvo even tho its hard after watching your best friend die just be smart wash bleach vaccines & if symptoms start with new dog get help asap learn how to do sub - q fluids its good for many reasons. Good luck, just remember bleach is good.

I'm not sure if I'm late or not to say this but through my own research, I've learned that parvovirus can survive in an environment for at least 6 months and roughly up to a year (if not properly disinfected). As for in a yard or more "organic/natural environment," it will take several years, regardless of the use of bleach on the property.

My mom moved to a new home recently and decided to get two puppies. Both were from a nice breeder and they have had their first round of shots. Today her oldest puppy developed parvo. We are worried about her other puppy now and what needs done so that if Jack makes it that he don't get it again or any other dog there for that matter.

We have dealt with parvo before and know how to clean the house for the most part, but could use some tips. We are really worried about the yard. Ideas?

Anonymous

Spray your yard whither bleach and water that how I got rid of it

When will parvo be gone? Before my dog died of parvo, our grass was over 30cm long, after he died we cut the grass and it was dead. Is the virus still in my yard? It's been 3 months since he died and I want to know what can help get rid of parvo (other than bleach). Thanks:)

By ME:D from P.E

Answer Was this helpful? 1

You need to talk to your vet or other professional. I believe Parvo lives in the soil a long time. Bleach is what I have heard will kill it. You just can't be too careful where Parvo is concerned. Sorry for loss.

How long does the virus remain and can I remove parvo out of my yard?

By Barbara from Yakim, WA

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I am sorry to say but Parvo can live in the soil for up to one year. The usual method for cleaning up the parvo virus is bleach/water. Please call your veterinarian for any instructions. Please do not bring another dog into your yard until you are sure the Parvo Virus has been eliminated. Good luck.

Anonymous

Parvo can remain in the yard for two years or more. Most people will say to spray with bleach to help but that's bad for the environment. I have heard that there are products out there that will help clean up the problem safely but no guarantee the virus will be completely gone. Call around to assorted pet stores and home and garden stores to see what both would recommend.

Over all the years I have been taking care of stray and discarded animals I only have found one true way of getting rid of parvo and that is bleach and on the yard. I would suggest applying it once a week in an outdoor bleach amount at least a couple of times. Most importantly is that before bringing a new pet to the yard make sure it has had all its parvo shots for at least a month so it is resistant to the virus and the biggest thing to remember is always pick up dogs poop daily.

I recently lost a five month old puppy due to parvo. I want to get a new 10 month old Westie, she needs her last two sets of shots. I plan on taking her for her third set the day I pick her up. I cleaned my whole back yard with bleach, got rid of every single thing he played with or touched back there. I cleaned the inside of my house with color safe bleach. Do you think she will be fine?

By Valerie from CA

What does your vet reccommend? He should be an authority on the subject.

Color safe bleach is not a disinfectant like regular bleach is.

That comment about "skipping the puppy silliness"..If any dog comes into contact with the infected area, that dog is at risk of getting it, the only reason why it is more common in puppies is because their tiny bodies immune system isn't nearly strong enough to fight it off but if you get a grown dog with a weak immune system that isn't producing enough antibodies, even with vaccines that dog might just as well get the Parvo Virus as well, I HIGHLY suggest you Treat the area, either with Bleach, or color safe bleach and disinfectant Do NOT go purchasing another dog until the areas are cleaned. Parvo is a Virus that attacks the inner lining of a dogs stomach allowing bad and harmful bacteria to enter the dogs blood stream, and it tears down whats left of the immune system if untreated allowing other illnesses and diseases to Accure which is what initially kills the dog. even vaccinated dogs have a 10% window to come under attack by the virus, 85% of cases treated early enough and aggressively Survive But 90% Of cases caught too late or not treated end up dying. Parvo can show symptoms, Or it can hide it's self to where you don't know until it's too late. Please treat the areas, If need be get in contact over the phone or in-person with your local vet and Ask them about over the counter sprays or commercial Sprays.

How long before you can let your dogs outside, after a pravo outbreak? I have bleached my yard twice, and my other 2 dogs were all updated on shots prior to the outbreak.

The puppy who had pravo was taken to another house for treatment, plus I have bleached my house twice.

By tara102 from OH

Is this 100% effective do you know?

Anonymous

no

Anonymous

Bleach definetly. Now Parvo can live in the soil for up to 20yrs yes its amazing. Cold or fresh humid areas are its best friend. On puppies im using the 1 egg and pedyalite blend. To keep them hydrated n help the stomach linings restore. I made the mistake of putting their shots too young barely 6wks. Its recommended to do it by 8wks. When their bodies are stronger

How do I wash myself to not get dogs infected with parvo?

By Mia from Adelanto, CA

How do I get the parvo virus out of my yard?

By Billie

Load More