Getting Rid of Parvo Virus in the Yard and Home

When this virus has been present in your home and yard, you want to make sure it is completely eliminated so it does infect other dogs. This is a guide about getting rid of parvo virus in the yard and home.

June 4, 2016 Flag

My husband and l need advice. This past Tuesday our boy, Rocko, started getting sick, he was throwing up and his energy was pretty much gone and we thought it was just the heat. Again it continued on Wednesday and he passed away Thursday morning. It took only 2 days. Before that, we didn't even notice any signs. It's been an emotional wreck. The vet did confirm he had parvo.

So now we noticed something in our female dog. Her nipples are starting to come out. We have a feeling she might be pregnant with his babies. So where do you go from here? I see all over that bleach is the one cleaner that will kill the virus, so we bought 10 bottles of it. What is the best way to make sure this virus is killed. I can't feel safe in this house until I know for sure I've killed it. How many times do I bleach everything, or if I use straight bleach would it work better then diluted bleach?

I have 2 other dogs and need to make sure they are safe. I'm so stressed and I'm still having a hard time after losing Rocko. So any advice will be greatly appreciated.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I took in a dog for a friend who was being evicted, 2 weeks later the dog turned out to be pregnant and 1 week befor she was due she caught parvo. Owner basically washed her hand of the dog, I took the dog to the vet and they said her chances of surviving were very slim especially because she was pregnant. Today the pups are 10 days old, healthy as can be, and mom is a ok! Keep the dog contained and clean. I went to the thrift store and bought sacks of receiving blankets constantly switched them out, remember you only need a little bit of bleach I believe 30:1, disinfect dog with a warm cloth bleached, do not let the dog back on the grass only on concrete if possible and make sure all areas are bleached befor and after she walks threw and relives her self. Hope this helps! Hydrate hydrate hydrate!!

The best advice that anyone can give is ...that it doesnt matter if you bleach your yard. Some person so e place twenty miles away lost a pup to parvo. The are extremely heartbroke. So they throw their couches and mattress or whatever aeay. It goes to the landfill. Meanwhile your bleaching your yard to get"rid of it". A crow lands on a infected piece of garbage then flies and lands in your yard a few days after you bleach. BAM! You got parvo in your yard again. So my advice to anyone who wants to bring a puppy home to a house that has ever had parvo. Clean your house as many times as you need to feel like you've got every place the sick puppy every was. Then wait a few months. Then if you did a pup you want to get. Before you get it clean your house one more time. When you bring new pup home have a area that is designated him as a potty place. But lots if puppy pads cuz...DO NOT...DO NOT...can NOT stress this enough...DO NOT,!!!!! Let your new puppies get hit any dirt till a month ate it's last set of vaccines. Dint take him to friend's, don't show your neighbors, don't key anybody come in your house with their shoes on. Then when ask that is done. You have a really good chance that your pup will stay parvo free. Just don't take them out. At all!!!!!!!!!

Hi I am reading your post and hoping to God I get something out of this to keep my sons dog from dying. He would be so devastated. My mother lives in the same house. She got a puppy that looks just like yours. Puppy got parvo and we didn't start the antibiotics soon enough. We loved her a lot.I got this other puppy from someone who was giving them away at Frys Marketplace. He told us he had his shots. My sons puppy always played with my mom's puppy that died. I wonder if that man was lying because my sons puppy is showing the same signs. Can you please give me specific details on what to do and how to get rid of it? Would be very appreciated. Thank you

How to kill parvo ana wood doghouse are should we just burn it ?

Read More Answers...

March 13, 2016 Flag

I recently moved into a different kind of pet populated home and we are worried about parvo etc. What could I sterilize my yard with that would make it safe for my pups? The other animals like chickens and multiple dogs and cats that previously lived there worry us.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Just cause the dog is vaccinated does not mean it can not get parvo!!!! I just had a 8 month old Great Dane get it took him to the vet and since he had all of his shots they said it was last thing on the list of what it could be. He died the next day and when they did the autopsy they said it was parvo. So just cause he had all his shots the vet didn't want to treat it like parvo even though he had all the symptoms of it.

My 7 month old puppy was hospitalized this morning for parvo. She is FULLY vaccinated and she still got the virus. The vet said it's much like the flu. Every season a new strain comes along that isn't covered by the vaccination. So even if you have had your dogs vaccinated parvo is something to worry about. If your pet has already had parvo and has survived it can not get it again, like the chicken pox.

3 days ago i lost a 19 week old puppy to what the vets think was parvo . 16 hours ago another dog of mine gave birth to 4 puppies what do i gotta do to clean ?

First off has the mother ever had parvo? Is she vaccinated.? Past these obvious questions. Get really strong bleach from home depot or wherever. And a Hudson sprayer. Mix bleach and water. I do 70water to 30 bleach. Then spray all of the items of cloth that the sick puppy touched. Including your clothes. Hopefully you kept him contained in a small area. Clean it once clean it twice clean it till you feel ok about it. If the mother was vaccinated or a survivor her colostrum will have immunities to fight parvo. It last around ten yo thirteen weeks. The new pupies won't be leaving their mommy for a while so if you have a area the sick puppy wasn't ever in then I would keep them there. Keep the pups inside till they get new homes. Never ever let the pups paws hit dirt till a month after last sheet of shots. Good luck.oh and don't use any of the bedding the sick puppy touched. Dint throw it out. Burn it. Seriously burn it! I pulled three puppies through parvo a year ago. One after the other. Talk about stressful. Three different breeds. Three different ages. One was a tiny Chihuahua who now is fully grown and only weighs 5#. So you could imagine how small was. I just successful reared eight puppies in the house and outside and none of them got it. So don't worry to much. Just keep the mom and the pups out of the area. And clean clean clean. Before the pups start to move around. Or ask a friend's or family member whose house you feel is safe and see if you can let the pups and mom stay there till you feel ok to bring them home. You can't get it out of your yard. Birds carry it around on their feet. Don't let anyone wear their shoes in your house. Make them check them at the door.

Read More Answers...

August 25, 2013 Flag

I have the parvo virus in my yard. One pup survived and the other died. If my dog has pups what would the survival rate be for the pups?

By Niomi from Australia

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The Parvo virus is particularly hardy as well as wide spread. In my research, the general consensus is that the virus can live in a yard up to three years. You can bleach your yard to kill the virus, but be aware this will be detrimental to the grass.

And when you're done with the cleaning be aware that rodents can easily carry the virus back in to your yard. It is frustrating.

So, you're best bet would be to hold off on pups for now. Clean inside as best you can. But one dog contracting Parvo does not say a lot about what will happen with others. There are many factors involved. Vaccines or no vaccines, when were the vaccines given, what brand were they, what strain of Parvo was it. I have two five month old pups, who were vaccinated, who broke with Parvo a week ago. It looks like they will both make it and I'm busy cleaning right now, so I sympathize.

What I do if my puppy has parvo? Do we have to keep him hydrated?

It's a 50/50 chance for them they could all live, they could all die, it maybe only one will catch it, it all kind of depends on how strong those little puppies immune systems are. It's better to have your puppies in an enclosed area away from the parvo infested area until you get them all vaccinated and still even a couple weeks after you vaccinate them cause it needs to kick into their whole system. I would also recommend spraying the parvo infested ares with bleach!!!!

Yes! Get a baby dropper and keep pedialite and water in your dog! If you have omoxicillin or penicillin it will keep the blood from becoming toxic and shutting down the organs. I am going thru this now so I feel your pain! Also use bleach to mop up pee or especially when your dog poops! Clean clean clean! Hydrate Hydrate Hydrate! When u clean up the pee you will know how hydrated he is.hope this helps and God Bless

Read More Answers...

December 26, 2014 Flag

My best friend died of parvo. He would have been a year old on Thanksgiving. I miss him so much now. My wife wants to get another dog from a shelter that is at least 3 years old. Do you think it's OK to bring one home? It has only been a month and two weeks since my Chico died of parvo.

By Roger F. from San Antonio, TX

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Steam clean or shampoo your carpets, throw away all old bedding, toys and bowls no matter how useful or sentimental.

And of course, now you know you should not bring a puppy home until it has completely finished its series of shots. Let the original owner care for it until then, or adopt a dog that has all its shots.

Parvo can last up to 7+ years in the soil. If your planning to get another dog you must make sure it is vaccinated for at least 8-10 weeks before bringing it home. I'd still be very leery with a puppy an older vaccinated dog has a better chance of not getting sick.

Bleach & hot water wash everything your puppy touched & make sure vaccines are utd parvo is a horrible way to die. Read up on vaccines know when its booster time. You can't live in fear of parvo even tho its hard after watching your best friend die just be smart wash bleach vaccines & if symptoms start with new dog get help asap learn how to do sub - q fluids its good for many reasons. Good luck, just remember bleach is good.

I'm not sure if I'm late or not to say this but through my own research, I've learned that parvovirus can survive in an environment for at least 6 months and roughly up to a year (if not properly disinfected). As for in a yard or more "organic/natural environment," it will take several years, regardless of the use of bleach on the property.

Oh that's way to soon and another poor baby would die tell her

Read More Answers...

May 6, 2016 Flag

My mom moved to a new home recently and decided to get two puppies. Both were from a nice breeder and they have had their first round of shots. Today her oldest puppy developed parvo. We are worried about her other puppy now and what needs done so that if Jack makes it that he don't get it again or any other dog there for that matter.

We have dealt with parvo before and know how to clean the house for the most part, but could use some tips. We are really worried about the yard. Ideas?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Spray your yard whither bleach and water that how I got rid of it

September 6, 2007 Flag

I need the recipe for how many spoonfuls of water and bleach to give your puppy for parvovirus. I will be getting a new puppy next week and would like to know in case he gets the virus. He is a Chihuahua and Feist mix. I already have a miniature Feist but he is 1 1/2 yrs old. I had gotten a Shih Tzu pup from a friend and he got the parvo and had to be put to sleep one week after I had gotten him that was a month ago. Then I found this site and read the post and would greatly appreciate the help. Thanks.

Linda from Batesville, MS

Editor's Note: Bleach can be deadly if too concentrated. Contact a veterinarian for a vaccine as soon as you get your new puppy.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Dogs that are old enough to drink from a pool and who have owners wealthy enough to own and maintain pools will be adult dogs that have all their vaccinations. Adult, fully vaccinated dogs rarely get parvo. This is unsurprising and certainly not coincidental.

"It's bleach water and pedialyte and pepto and many other things including anti emetics and antibiotics."

So, it wasn't the pedialye, pepto, anti-emetics, and antibiotics and "many other things" that cured them? It was definitely the bleach?

No No ! The bleach is for CLEANING AND DISINFECTING! Do not give a puppy bleach ! 1 part bleach to 10 parts water is suggested and what I used as a dialysis nurse.

I lost my puppy from parvo and told that it was the used wooden dog house I got on Craigslist I never knew the virus could live up to three years in or on potions surfaces like wood My Vet said puppies are highly at risk. I am older and she suggested a older dog with at least three years of age w full vaccinations for that time And to bleach a Clorox not watered down bleach to clean everything If i can't bleach it seal in trash bags and THROW IT AWAY Toys ,bowls ( plastic) bedding and wooden dog house. So I am adopting a older dog to love who has been given the parvo vaccine at least three years. God bless. Sorry for your loss :(

Read More Answers...

November 5, 2013 Flag

I had a puppy that died from parvo. If I get another puppy that already has its shots can it still get the parvo virus?

By NLM from Easley, SC

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I bread and raise pitbulls. And I've been doing it areally long time now. I've lost lot's of pups to the parvo virus. But never have i ever lost one after giving them their first shot at 4 weeks old, never. Every one I've vasinated never contracted the virus, ever. Never tried the bleach tho, wouldn't put my dog at risk like that. The best thing, make sure your pup has had their shots. I know for a fact that work for sure

You just gave me some hope. I got a puppy had it for 3 days and it died from parvo. I've been reading all the reviews and everyone said don't get another puppy they will get it and die.

It isn't 100% that a new puppy will get it but I would not let the puppy on grass till it is old enough for its shots and even then I would be sure I had the supplies I would need to fight parvo.You see parvo doesn't kill your puppy.Its the symptoms like dehydration and the blood becoming poison in their system. Always hydrate them as much as possible ! Parvo gets in their lymph nodes in their throat and intestinal track.Makes them stop drinking because their throat hurts and they will have pain in their tummy.not to mention they will run a temp.

Hi Anonymous

i have received so very much conflicting info about Parvo. I see you say that you have lost many pups over time to the virus and i take it that they were very young. Can you tell me how would/ can a new born or very young pup contract the Virus? We lost some babies at about 4/6 wks suddenly but similar symptoms but others survived . We kept one of the pups and we just lost him at 12 mths of what the Vet said looked like Parvo. My dogs have Never been off our 1 acre property so we dont know how they could have got it. Also we built this home 16 yrs ago so only ones to live here and also just lost our little Terrier Cross who was 13.5 yrs old of old age! I dont know what has happened!!!

Read More Answers...

March 15, 2011 Flag

How long does the virus remain and can I remove parvo out of my yard?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 24, 2010 Flag

I recently lost a five month old puppy due to parvo. I want to get a new 10 month old W Westie, she needs her last two sets of shots.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning AdviceFebruary 12, 2014
Ebola Virus Test
Ebola Virus Charities
dog with parvo
Information About Parvo
A dog being seen by a veterinarian.
Can a Dog Get Parvo Again?
Puppy Smelling Flower
Getting a Puppy After Losing One to Parvo
🎉
🎄