Getting Rid of Parvo Virus in the Yard and Home

Puppy Running in Yard
When this virus has been present in your home and yard, you want to make sure it is completely eliminated so it does infect other dogs. This is a guide about getting rid of parvo virus in the yard and home.

I need the recipe for how many spoonfuls of water and bleach to give your puppy for parvovirus. I will be getting a new puppy next week and would like to know in case he gets the virus. He is a Chihuahua and Feist mix. I already have a miniature Feist but he is 1 1/2 yrs old. I had gotten a Shih Tzu pup from a friend and he got the parvo and had to be put to sleep one week after I had gotten him that was a month ago. Then I found this site and read the post and would greatly appreciate the help. Thanks.

Linda from Batesville, MS

Editor's Note: Bleach can be deadly if too concentrated. Contact a veterinarian for a vaccine as soon as you get your new puppy.

Linda,

I've never heard of anybody giving bleach to puppies, and it sounds very dangerous.

However if you want to know more about Parvo and how it can be both treated and prevented, then you should download our free book, Parvo Treatment 101.

You can get it at http://www.Parv  k.com/thriftyfun

Best wishes,

Mark

NEVER give your puppy bleach water! Take your puppy to the vet upon bringing him/her home to be checked over and given the necessary shots, etc. Always follow your vet's advice! By the way, if you cannot afford a vet, you should probably refrain from getting a puppy as they do cost quite a bit of money.

YOU CAN'T GIVE A PUPPY BLEACH!

I read on a website that a puppy should be given the vaccine for parvovirus. There are also tips on how prevent it.

PLEASE DON'T GIVE YOUR PUPPY BLEACH!

I would check with my vet to see what the risk to the puppy would be, especially since you've recently had parvo in the environment. I'd be sure the puppy you're getting is up to date on vaccines, to minimize any risk!

Whoa! You DO NOT give any animals bleach! You use the bleach//water combo to CLEAN/SPRAY all areas that the animal that had the parvo came in contact with. I believe the ratio is 1/10 bleach and water.

Never, ever give bleach to an animal! Take your new friend to a vet! Perhaps you cannot afford a visit to the vet, but if you have traveling vets in your area, their charges are not extremely high. If you are an animal lover, like me, you will see that they get the best of care.

Pablo Picasso's son was famous for committing suicide by drinking bleach, poor guy, so how can even dilute bleach be good for any living thing??

NEVER GIVE YOUR DOG BLEACH ! It will kill him! If you can not afford to take him to the Vet, Find a vet supply and buy the shots and give them to the puppy yourself. Look in the phone book to find a vet supply close to you and it will only cost about 6.oo dollars per shot( 6in 1). You have to give them two weeks apart so that comes out to about 18.00 dollars. As the caretaker of a dog that survived parvo I can tell you that the bleach is for spraying any and all areas that the infected dog came in contact with. and it stays in the ground for up to 5 years. If possible try to give the dog the shots before you bring him home. Good luck and good health. Nancy So.Cal.

You DO NOT give the dog bleach. You clean all area's surrounding any area the animal with parvo had been around with a bleach mix. Inside and outside your house.You take 1 part bleach 10 parts water, and CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN every single thing your dog was around that had parvo. BUT, Parvo can live for 10 yrs if even a leaf covers an area that has been exposed to the virus. So WHAT YOU NEED TO DO. Is take the puppy to the vet ASAP when you get it. After the puppy has gotten the parvo/distemper shots it will be protected from the virus after 24 hours. And until the 24 hrs passes, you MUST KEEP THE PUPPY AWAY FROM ANY AREA THAT THE PARVO COULD BE. And Parvo is not a death sentence for all dogs, some you can take to the vet and they can keep them hydrated thru IV and some can be baby'd back to health.

Good grief! Let me be blunt! If you don't intend to take your pet to a veterinarian as soon as you get him, please don't get a pet. Parvo can be prevented with a vaccine. It's downright cruel to take a pet in your home and not give him proper veterinarian care.

Not all of us are millionaires and our kids and household needs must take precedence over our pets. As much as I would like to pay the 130 dollars a day for vet care for my parvo pup, I can't! So I am giving my pup a few drops of bleach in her Pedialite. MANY MANY people on different blogs have done this with much success! I am not putting a nipple on the Clorox bottle but, after the 200 vet bill just to find out it was not worms but parvo, I do not even have money for paviad! I am doing ANYTHING I can to keep this dog alive, a little bleach will not kill her.

PS if anyone wants to call me an irresponsable pet owner because i do not have enough money for this immpossible virus. Let it be known that my kids will and allways will be my top priority and i took this abandoned puppy in savinging it once allready .... we love our pup!

I've given my dogs and puppies their own parvo shots (I give the 8-way vaccine) and de-wormer for years now.

One important thing to remember when cleaning up an area where a dog infected with parvo or worms has been is to completely remove any other animals from the area. They can absorb the bleach and soap through their foot-pads, and it will poison them.

From what I understand, Parvo can live in the ground for up to 9 years, but worm eggs can live outside in freezing conditions for over 20 years! It's very, very important to keep this in mind: a dog who has just been de-wormed can reinfect itself within a day or so, and humans are just as susceptible to pin worms and other parasites as any other mammal.

Please take the time to wear shoes in all areas where you have pets!

Cheri in S.C.

I believe the original poster was alluding to the coincidence that dogs that drink from swimming pools don't come down with parvo, and therefore people are adding drops of bleach to there pets water to keep them from coming down with parvo. My puppy is at the hospital right now with parvo even after receiving his puppy parvo shots, and if I'd known that a couple drops of bleach in his water would have kept him healthy 2 weeks ago we probably would have him home with us now.

As far as putting bleach in the water I don't know why the people who have replied are acting spacey.. where you all have been. Our public water supply is treated with bleach Swimming pools are treated with bleach.. and the military adds bleach to water anytime they are in the field.To answer your question I believe it is one capful of bleach to 5gallons of water. I believe the military ratio is 10 drops per gallon.

The redcross suggest 16 drops per gallon of water to decontaminate it and make it safe for humans to drink. Here's a link to their red cross http://www.redc  000089f0870aRCRD

Consider your financial situation before you take on a life-time animal commitment. The only person with professional qualifications to administer vaccine to an animal is a veterinarian.

My husband and l need advice. This past Tuesday our boy, Rocko, started getting sick, he was throwing up and his energy was pretty much gone and we thought it was just the heat. Again it continued on Wednesday and he passed away Thursday morning. It took only 2 days. Before that, we didn't even notice any signs. It's been an emotional wreck. The vet did confirm he had parvo.

So now we noticed something in our female dog. Her nipples are starting to come out. We have a feeling she might be pregnant with his babies. So where do you go from here? I see all over that bleach is the one cleaner that will kill the virus, so we bought 10 bottles of it. What is the best way to make sure this virus is killed. I can't feel safe in this house until I know for sure I've killed it. How many times do I bleach everything, or if I use straight bleach would it work better then diluted bleach?

I have 2 other dogs and need to make sure they are safe. I'm so stressed and I'm still having a hard time after losing Rocko. So any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I have the parvo virus in my yard. One pup survived and the other died. If my dog has pups what would the survival rate be for the pups?

By Niomi from Australia

Answer Was this helpful? 1

My dog is in her 4th day of parvo today. I'm taking care of her at home doing everything I can for her. She has been everywhere in my room and still sleeps with me because she cries when in the cage. I haven't let her out of my room since she started showing symptoms, but I'm sure it's tracked all over my house. It is pretty impossible not to. I can't bleach everything. I was wondering what I need to do when she heals to keep her from catching it again. She is 10 weeks old and has had no vaccinations.

I recently moved into a different kind of pet populated home and we are worried about parvo etc. What could I sterilize my yard with that would make it safe for my pups? The other animals like chickens and multiple dogs and cats that previously lived there worry us.

My best friend died of parvo. He would have been a year old on Thanksgiving. I miss him so much now. My wife wants to get another dog from a shelter that is at least 3 years old. Do you think it's OK to bring one home? It has only been a month and two weeks since my Chico died of parvo.

By Roger F. from San Antonio, TX

When will parvo be gone? Before my dog died of parvo, our grass was over 30cm long, after he died we cut the grass and it was dead. Is the virus still in my yard? It's been 3 months since he died and I want to know what can help get rid of parvo (other than bleach). Thanks:)

By ME:D from P.E

Answer Was this helpful? 1

How long does the virus remain and can I remove parvo out of my yard?

By Barbara from Yakim, WA

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I am sorry to say but Parvo can live in the soil for up to one year. The usual method for cleaning up the parvo virus is bleach/water. Please call your veterinarian for any instructions. Please do not bring another dog into your yard until you are sure the Parvo Virus has been eliminated. Good luck.

Anonymous

Parvo can remain in the yard for two years or more. Most people will say to spray with bleach to help but that's bad for the environment. I have heard that there are products out there that will help clean up the problem safely but no guarantee the virus will be completely gone. Call around to assorted pet stores and home and garden stores to see what both would recommend.

Over all the years I have been taking care of stray and discarded animals I only have found one true way of getting rid of parvo and that is bleach and on the yard. I would suggest applying it once a week in an outdoor bleach amount at least a couple of times. Most importantly is that before bringing a new pet to the yard make sure it has had all its parvo shots for at least a month so it is resistant to the virus and the biggest thing to remember is always pick up dogs poop daily.

I recently lost a five month old puppy due to parvo. I want to get a new 10 month old Westie, she needs her last two sets of shots. I plan on taking her for her third set the day I pick her up. I cleaned my whole back yard with bleach, got rid of every single thing he played with or touched back there. I cleaned the inside of my house with color safe bleach. Do you think she will be fine?

By Valerie from CA

What does your vet reccommend? He should be an authority on the subject.

Color safe bleach is not a disinfectant like regular bleach is.

How long before you can let your dogs outside, after a pravo outbreak? I have bleached my yard twice, and my other 2 dogs were all updated on shots prior to the outbreak.

The puppy who had pravo was taken to another house for treatment, plus I have bleached my house twice.

By tara102 from OH

My mom moved to a new home recently and decided to get two puppies. Both were from a nice breeder and they have had their first round of shots. Today her oldest puppy developed parvo. We are worried about her other puppy now and what needs done so that if Jack makes it that he don't get it again or any other dog there for that matter.

We have dealt with parvo before and know how to clean the house for the most part, but could use some tips. We are really worried about the yard. Ideas?

How do you treat your lawn for Parvo from a puppy.

By Paulette from Lakewood, WA

Definitely consult a vet on this one. Parvo is very life threatening and not worth taking any chances whatsoever!

How do I wash myself to not get dogs infected with parvo?

By Mia from Adelanto, CA

How do I get the parvo virus out of my yard?

By Billie

We had 3 puppies get parvo about 4 months ago. They all died; what do I need to do to my yard to make it safe for a new puppy?

By Angeia from Gridley, CA

Answers:

How to Rid the Yard of Parvo, Can You Get It More Than Once?

If you are on a budget, you can give parvo shots yourself to new puppies. Go to feed store and buy shot and ask for a syringe. Comes with instructions. Never wait on the shot. I had a pup die of parvo once and I never want to experience that again. If you are even thinking of a pup make arrangements for the shot before you bring them home, whether by yourself or through a vet.

However, I'd talk to the vet and ask for advice. It's a terrible virus, and I'm not sure what to do. But the shot preparations must be done before any dog is brought home. (11/11/2009)

By PIKKA

Read the archived link below because there are lots of answers. I've also heard that another puppy/dog should not be brought in the home or yard for at least six months after a parvo outbreak even after thorough cleanup. Be sure to sanitize inside your home, too! I am sorry you lost your puppies. (11/16/2009)

By Deeli

I've had my bouts with Parvo as well. Terrible disease that kills in 24 hrs. My vet advised me that no new dog should be brought into a yard where an infected dog has been for at least two years. And all indoor housing (your house and dog houses) should be treated with bleach, the only thing that kills the virus. This also brings to mind another reason I am against invisible fencing. Animals with a variety of contagious diseases could more easily enter your yard. I hope this helps.

Susan (11/18/2009)

By SWG

Several people have said that bleaching your yard should get rid of the virus however, there is no sure fire way to be sure the virus is gone. The best thing to do is follow your vet's advice. The vet I worked for advised waiting one to two years before getting a new puppy. Also, the vaccinations are only completely effective after the whole series has been given. One shot doesn't do the trick. Good luck. (11/18/2009)

By renee5774

I have had three dogs get sick at the same time. My husband and I took them to the vet to find out that they had parvo. He gave us medication to give them. We were giving Oober, Bones, and Benny medication around the clock. Only one made it and that was Benny. Can he later on down the road get the disease again? And how do you get it out our yard?

Mindy

Answers:

Getting Rid Of Parvo

I read the article about Parvo and Dogs and just had to throw my two cents worth in. I lost a whole litter of cocker pups and it broke my heart. Heat does not kill it and freezing does not kill it, but bleach does. But it will kill your grass. But to me it is worth the effort and no grass to keep my dogs safe.

Take a garden sprayer fill it with half water and half bleach and spray all over the kennel or yard the infected animals were in. Especially the spot where they liked to go potty as this is how the germs are spread.

Wash all bedding, bowls, leashes, and collars with bleach and hot water. You also should wear old tennies out in the yard when spraying and pitch them when you are through. Also do not spray unless you are assured of a couple of days of sunshine as if it rains you will have to reapply.

I too agree that prevention is the best medicine and you can get Parvo shots through Omaha Vaccine for about 3-4 dollars. They have complete directions on how to give the shot yourself. Our vet charges like 50 dollars to give the shot so this saves me and protects my dogs. Omaha Vaccine has a catalog that you can order for free on the internet though they do not have an online catalog. Ask them to send the Pet Catalog. You can also get cat vaccines through them. I wish you all a happy and healthy dog.

By Debra in Colorado (04/23/2005)

By ThriftyFun

There are several parvo disinfectants on the market, but regular bleach is still 100% effective and much less costly. The dilution is one part of chlorine bleach to 30 parts of water. Remember: bleach will remove color from dyed fabrics or objects, so the commercial disinfectants have that advantage.

Straight bleach does not work as well, my vet has said. My pup has it now and is doing well. Prayers are appreciated. (11/08/2005)

By Danielle

I agree with vaccinations 100%. Bleach may work, but can have corroding affects on most items, and the vapors are harmful to pets. I am a Shaklee Distributor, and I use a product called Basic G (Germicide.) It is clinically shown to kill canine parvovirus and feline leukemia virus, and the germicide lasts much longer than the bleach. Here is a weblink: shaklee.net and click on Home Care. You can read the label, and I can help you find the research. (06/09/2006)

By camo_angels

Parvovirus is very hardy and will winter-over in a yard even through a hard freeze. The only way to kill it is bleach. Bleach everything, even spray the grass. Some kennels will not place a dog for up to two years after a parvo outbreak in a home.

Always get the parvo shot for your dog, but know that it is not always 100%. Older, vaccinated dogs have been known to get parvo. If you even suspect parvo get the dog to a vet. Good luck. It is such a killer. (07/12/2006)

By Vicka

We are currently treating our puppy for parvo. The vet told us to do our whole yard in a 10% bleach solution. The same solution has been used to treat my entire house. It has not stained or bleached any of the furniture. I wish all of you luck. Our puppy is well on her way to survival. (03/27/2009)

By tabs810