Browsing: Getting Rid of Parvo Virus in the Yard and Home

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Getting Rid of Parvo Virus in the Yard and Home

When this virus has been present in your home and yard, you want to make sure it is completely eliminated so it does infect other dogs. This is a guide about getting rid of parvo virus in the yard and home.

Puppy Running in Yard
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

June 4, 2016 Flag

My husband and l need advice. This past Tuesday our boy, Rocko, started getting sick, he was throwing up and his energy was pretty much gone and we thought it was just the heat. Again it continued on Wednesday and he passed away Thursday morning. It took only 2 days. Before that, we didn't even notice any signs. It's been an emotional wreck. The vet did confirm he had parvo.

tan dog sitting on a bench

So now we noticed something in our female dog. Her nipples are starting to come out. We have a feeling she might be pregnant with his babies. So where do you go from here? I see all over that bleach is the one cleaner that will kill the virus, so we bought 10 bottles of it. What is the best way to make sure this virus is killed. I can't feel safe in this house until I know for sure I've killed it. How many times do I bleach everything, or if I use straight bleach would it work better then diluted bleach?

I have 2 other dogs and need to make sure they are safe. I'm so stressed and I'm still having a hard time after losing Rocko. So any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do I kill parvo virus in my yard

March 13, 2016 Flag

I recently moved into a different kind of pet populated home and we are worried about parvo etc. What could I sterilize my yard with that would make it safe for my pups? The other animals like chickens and multiple dogs and cats that previously lived there worry us.

If you have not vaccinated your pets, you may have a reason to worry. If you have a very young puppy that has not completed his vaccinations, you may have reason to worry. If the previous owners had dogs diagnosed with parvo who used the property, you might worry. Other than that, the use of bleach to "sterilize" you yard is difficult, unpleasant, not guaranteed, and very environmentally unfriendly. Parvo is pretty much everywhere and bleaching your yard really does not protect your animals. Make sure they are properly vaccinated and then you wont need to worry.

My 7 month old puppy was hospitalized this morning for parvo. She is FULLY vaccinated and she still got the virus. The vet said it's much like the flu. Every season a new strain comes along that isn't covered by the vaccination. So even if you have had your dogs vaccinated parvo is something to worry about. If your pet has already had parvo and has survived it can not get it again, like the chicken pox.

3 days ago i lost a 19 week old puppy to what the vets think was parvo . 16 hours ago another dog of mine gave birth to 4 puppies what do i gotta do to clean ?

December 26, 2014 Flag

My best friend died of parvo. He would have been a year old on Thanksgiving. I miss him so much now. My wife wants to get another dog from a shelter that is at least 3 years old. Do you think it's OK to bring one home? It has only been a month and two weeks since my Chico died of parvo.

By Roger F. from San Antonio, TX

Steam clean or shampoo your carpets, throw away all old bedding, toys and bowls no matter how useful or sentimental.

And of course, now you know you should not bring a puppy home until it has completely finished its series of shots. Let the original owner care for it until then, or adopt a dog that has all its shots.

Parvo can last up to 7+ years in the soil. If your planning to get another dog you must make sure it is vaccinated for at least 8-10 weeks before bringing it home. I'd still be very leery with a puppy an older vaccinated dog has a better chance of not getting sick.

Bleach & hot water wash everything your puppy touched & make sure vaccines are utd parvo is a horrible way to die. Read up on vaccines know when its booster time. You can't live in fear of parvo even tho its hard after watching your best friend die just be smart wash bleach vaccines & if symptoms start with new dog get help asap learn how to do sub - q fluids its good for many reasons. Good luck, just remember bleach is good.

I'm not sure if I'm late or not to say this but through my own research, I've learned that parvovirus can survive in an environment for at least 6 months and roughly up to a year (if not properly disinfected). As for in a yard or more "organic/natural environment," it will take several years, regardless of the use of bleach on the property.

Read More Answers...

September 6, 2007 Flag

I need the recipe for how many spoonfuls of water and bleach to give your puppy for parvovirus. I will be getting a new puppy next week and would like to know in case he gets the virus. He is a Chihuahua and Feist mix. I already have a miniature Feist but he is 1 1/2 yrs old. I had gotten a Shih Tzu pup from a friend and he got the parvo and had to be put to sleep one week after I had gotten him that was a month ago. Then I found this site and read the post and would greatly appreciate the help. Thanks.

Linda from Batesville, MS

Editor's Note: Bleach can be deadly if too concentrated. Contact a veterinarian for a vaccine as soon as you get your new puppy.

A little bleach may not kill her, but it won't cure her. Bleach only kills viruses on hard surfaces. It must be applied and allowed to dry.

A few drops of bleach could make your dog more sick to their stomach, which they certainly don't need if they're already throwing up.

If others say they have had success with this, it was the pedialyte and attention they were giving the dog that worked, not bleach, which is not ingestible by humans or animals.

Dogs that are old enough to drink from a pool and who have owners wealthy enough to own and maintain pools will be adult dogs that have all their vaccinations. Adult, fully vaccinated dogs rarely get parvo. This is unsurprising and certainly not coincidental.

"It's bleach water and pedialyte and pepto and many other things including anti emetics and antibiotics."

So, it wasn't the pedialye, pepto, anti-emetics, and antibiotics and "many other things" that cured them? It was definitely the bleach?

Read More Answers...

May 6, 2016 Flag

My mom moved to a new home recently and decided to get two puppies. Both were from a nice breeder and they have had their first round of shots. Today her oldest puppy developed parvo. We are worried about her other puppy now and what needs done so that if Jack makes it that he don't get it again or any other dog there for that matter.

We have dealt with parvo before and know how to clean the house for the most part, but could use some tips. We are really worried about the yard. Ideas?

August 25, 2013 Flag

I have the parvo virus in my yard. One pup survived and the other died. If my dog has pups what would the survival rate be for the pups?

By Niomi from Australia

Parvo lives in the yard. If you had it ince you will get it again and again. If you let your dog have puppies again they will get parvo. No doubt about it.

The Parvo virus is particularly hardy as well as wide spread. In my research, the general consensus is that the virus can live in a yard up to three years. You can bleach your yard to kill the virus, but be aware this will be detrimental to the grass.

And when you're done with the cleaning be aware that rodents can easily carry the virus back in to your yard. It is frustrating.

So, you're best bet would be to hold off on pups for now. Clean inside as best you can. But one dog contracting Parvo does not say a lot about what will happen with others. There are many factors involved. Vaccines or no vaccines, when were the vaccines given, what brand were they, what strain of Parvo was it. I have two five month old pups, who were vaccinated, who broke with Parvo a week ago. It looks like they will both make it and I'm busy cleaning right now, so I sympathize.

November 5, 2013 Flag

I had a puppy that died from parvo. If I get another puppy that already has its shots can it still get the parvo virus?

By NLM from Easley, SC

Yes, they can still get the virus. Just because your dog or puppies are vaccinated don't mean they can't still get the parvo virus. They can. My nine week old puppy needed one more shot and she got hit hard with the parvo virus and passed yesterday. So yes, they still can get the virus!

Ah I'm not sure about that. My sister in law's dog had received ALL its round of puppy shots. It contracted Parvo and had to be hospitalized to the tune of a $4500 VET bill and nearly died. The Vet (same one who had immunized the dog) contacted the manufacturer of the Parvo vaccination

( Merck) and Merck paid the ENTIRE Vet bill of $4500 because the vaccine had obviously not been effective, bad batch perhaps. Regardless they took responsibility for a vaccine that did not work.

March 15, 2011 Flag

How long does the virus remain and can I remove parvo out of my yard?

By Barbara from Yakim, WA

Parvo can remain in the yard for two years or more. Most people will say to spray with bleach to help but that's bad for the environment. I have heard that there are products out there that will help clean up the problem safely but no guarantee the virus will be completely gone. Call around to assorted pet stores and home and garden stores to see what both would recommend.

Over all the years I have been taking care of stray and discarded animals I only have found one true way of getting rid of parvo and that is bleach and on the yard. I would suggest applying it once a week in an outdoor bleach amount at least a couple of times. Most importantly is that before bringing a new pet to the yard make sure it has had all its parvo shots for at least a month so it is resistant to the virus and the biggest thing to remember is always pick up dogs poop daily.

The safest thing to do is to get rid of all the sod and soil and redo it. Then use bleach on concrete, wood and tile areas. Even in your cars if you travel with your dog like I do. It may be expensive but if you love your animal like I do this is the only sure way.

Read More Answers...

June 9, 2012 Flag

When will parvo be gone? Before my dog died of parvo, our grass was over 30cm long, after he died we cut the grass and it was dead. Is the virus still in my yard? It's been 3 months since he died and I want to know what can help get rid of parvo (other than bleach). Thanks:)

By ME:D from P.E

You need to talk to your vet or other professional. I believe Parvo lives in the soil a long time. Bleach is what I have heard will kill it. You just can't be too careful where Parvo is concerned. Sorry for loss.

August 24, 2010 Flag

I recently lost a five month old puppy due to parvo. I want to get a new 10 month old W Westie, she needs her last two sets of shots.

Answer This QuestionMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 22, 2009 Flag

How long before you can let your dogs outside, after a pravo outbreak? I have bleached my yard twice, and my other 2 dogs were all updated on shots prior to the outbreak.

June 14, 2010 Flag

How do you treat your lawn for Parvo from a puppy.

Home and Garden Cleaning AdviceFebruary 12, 2014
        Ebola Virus Test
        Ebola Virus Charities
        dog with parvo
        Information About Parvo
        A dog being seen by a veterinarian.
        Can a Dog Get Parvo Again?
        Puppy Smelling Flower
        Getting a Puppy After Losing One to Parvo
        © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 20, 2016 at 10:27:01 PM on 10.0.1.230 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.