Getting Rid of Parvo Virus in the Yard and Home

When this virus has been present in your home and yard, you want to make sure it is completely eliminated so it does infect other dogs. This is a guide about getting rid of parvo virus in the yard and home.

Puppy Running in Yard
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

My mom moved to a new home recently and decided to get two puppies. Both were from a nice breeder and they have had their first round of shots. Today her oldest puppy developed parvo. We are worried about her other puppy now and what needs done so that if Jack makes it that he don't get it again or any other dog there for that matter.

We have dealt with parvo before and know how to clean the house for the most part, but could use some tips. We are really worried about the yard. Ideas?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I recently moved into a different kind of pet populated home and we are worried about parvo etc. What could I sterilize my yard with that would make it safe for my pups? The other animals like chickens and multiple dogs and cats that previously lived there worry us.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you have not vaccinated your pets, you may have a reason to worry. If you have a very young puppy that has not completed his vaccinations, you may have reason to worry. If the previous owners had dogs diagnosed with parvo who used the property, you might worry. Other than that, the use of bleach to "sterilize" you yard is difficult, unpleasant, not guaranteed, and very environmentally unfriendly. Parvo is pretty much everywhere and bleaching your yard really does not protect your animals. Make sure they are properly vaccinated and then you wont need to worry.

My best friend died of parvo. He would have been a year old on Thanksgiving. I miss him so much now. My wife wants to get another dog from a shelter that is at least 3 years old. Do you think it's OK to bring one home? It has only been a month and two weeks since my Chico died of parvo.

By Roger F. from San Antonio, TX

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Parvo can last up to 7+ years in the soil. If your planning to get another dog you must make sure it is vaccinated for at least 8-10 weeks before bringing it home. I'd still be very leery with a puppy an older vaccinated dog has a better chance of not getting sick.

Bleach & hot water wash everything your puppy touched & make sure vaccines are utd parvo is a horrible way to die. Read up on vaccines know when its booster time. You can't live in fear of parvo even tho its hard after watching your best friend die just be smart wash bleach vaccines & if symptoms start with new dog get help asap learn how to do sub - q fluids its good for many reasons. Good luck, just remember bleach is good.

Read More Answers...

I need the recipe for how many spoonfuls of water and bleach to give your puppy for parvovirus. I will be getting a new puppy next week and would like to know in case he gets the virus. He is a Chihuahua and Feist mix. I already have a miniature Feist but he is 1 1/2 yrs old. I had gotten a Shih Tzu pup from a friend and he got the parvo and had to be put to sleep one week after I had gotten him that was a month ago. Then I found this site and read the post and would greatly appreciate the help. Thanks.

Linda from Batesville, MS

Editor's Note: Bleach can be deadly if too concentrated. Contact a veterinarian for a vaccine as soon as you get your new puppy.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Parvo is an extremely bad virus, I hate vaccines! All mammals have auto immune systems and what doesn't kill us makes us stronger! But the parvo vaccine is one vaccine I reccomend you give your dogs! I know vet bills are expensive even a series of shots can cost you some money and these days most people can't even afford their own healthcare!

You can buy the vaccine from most of your local feed store for around ten dollars and give it to your dog yourself! If will save you a lot of heartache down the road, it comes with complete instructions on how to give the shot jus remeber that you have to keep this vaccine cold and the store should give you a bag of ice to keep it on until you get it home and give it to your dog, if you don't give it to your dog right away keep it in the fridgerator! If the vaccine gets warm it will go bad and won't be effective, if your dog gets the virus and you end up taking it to the vet it can and more than likely cost you over a 1,000 dollars and even under the care of a vet your dogs chances of making aren't guaranteed!

If your dog has the virus now, and you can't afford the vet as most of them want their money up front, the most important thing you can do is to react to the virus as soon as you see it coming on! I believe that dehydration is the most serious factor when it comes to any illness! Parvo causes dogs to vomit a lot and gives them diarrhea! It has a distinct smell to it! Once you have smelt it you won't ever forget it and will be able to diagnose any dog with parvo from that day forward!

Pedialyte is good for keeping your pet hydrated, the problem is keeping it down water is a must if you don't have pedialyte and I reccomend using water until you can get the pedialyte but get the pedialyte as soon as possible. Your response time is very important, you need to react to the virus soon as you see it coming on!

Your dog will quit eating and drinking on its own! Get a syringe, remove the needle it should just screw off or use an eyedropper and put the end in a cup of water or pedialyte pull back and fill it! Gently push it into the dogs mouth allowing them to swallow without choking them! If you push it to fast most of it will end up coming out of their mouth and choking your dog!

Very important to remember that the objective here is keeping fluids in your dog so administer the fluids in small amounts, every 60 minutes! to much fluids at one time will more and likely cause them to puke it back up! So smaller dosages in 60 minute time periods is much better than big amounts a couple of times a day!

As far as bleach goes, I see a lot of people saying it will kill your dog, that is simply not true! Of course you can't give your dog pure bleach then that would kill the dog! It is important that you use Non scented bleach. Note: DO NOT use scented bleach! I have never used it for parvo or on a dog but as a prepper I do know that a tablespoon to every five gallons of water is safe for human consumption as it is used to kill bacteria and parasites!

One post here gave a link to redcrosses reccomendation! It is under the food prepartion towards the bottom! They reccomend 2 drops per gallon of water! I don't know if ten drops would equal a tablespoon for the five gallons of water as I was saying! I guess it depends on how big the drops are! Bleach is used to kill parvo on the surfae of floors, sprayed in yards to kill the virus, so it would make sense that it would kill the virus in the dog, I have had friends who have used it and their dogs lived! But I have had dogs who survived parvo with nothing other than keeping them hydrated too! If you use bleach just make sure it is a very small dose mixed with water!

Start with red cross reccomendation, two drops per gallon and see if your dogs health improves in the next 24 hours if not you can add another drop or two but I wouldn't go past that! And I wouldn't do it more than one time every 12 hours! Although all our drinking water from the cities is treated with chlorine which is a basis of bleach!

If your dog dies it wasn't the bleach that killed them, as I said, even if your dog is under the care of a vet, your dogs chances aren't very good! And I have to say it again, keep fluids going into your dog in small amounts every hour! I really believe that is why most dogs die from this virus!

Read More Answers...

I have the parvo virus in my yard. One pup survived and the other died. If my dog has pups what would the survival rate be for the pups?

By Niomi from Australia

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The Parvo virus is particularly hardy as well as wide spread. In my research, the general consensus is that the virus can live in a yard up to three years. You can bleach your yard to kill the virus, but be aware this will be detrimental to the grass.

And when you're done with the cleaning be aware that rodents can easily carry the virus back in to your yard. It is frustrating.

So, you're best bet would be to hold off on pups for now. Clean inside as best you can. But one dog contracting Parvo does not say a lot about what will happen with others. There are many factors involved. Vaccines or no vaccines, when were the vaccines given, what brand were they, what strain of Parvo was it. I have two five month old pups, who were vaccinated, who broke with Parvo a week ago. It looks like they will both make it and I'm busy cleaning right now, so I sympathize.

Read More Answers...

How long does the virus remain and can I remove parvo out of my yard?

By Barbara from Yakim, WA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The safest thing to do is to get rid of all the sod and soil and redo it. Then use bleach on concrete, wood and tile areas. Even in your cars if you travel with your dog like I do. It may be expensive but if you love your animal like I do this is the only sure way.

Read More Answers...

When will parvo be gone? Before my dog died of parvo, our grass was over 30cm long, after he died we cut the grass and it was dead. Is the virus still in my yard? It's been 3 months since he died and I want to know what can help get rid of parvo (other than bleach). Thanks:)

By ME:D from P.E

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You need to talk to your vet or other professional. I believe Parvo lives in the soil a long time. Bleach is what I have heard will kill it. You just can't be too careful where Parvo is concerned. Sorry for loss.

I recently lost a five month old puppy due to parvo. I want to get a new 10 month old Westie, she needs her last two sets of shots. I plan on taking her for her third set the day I pick her up. I cleaned my whole back yard with bleach, got rid of every single thing he played with or touched back there. I cleaned the inside of my house with color safe bleach. Do you think she will be fine?

By Valerie from CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

That comment about "skipping the puppy silliness"..If any dog comes into contact with the infected area, that dog is at risk of getting it, the only reason why it is more common in puppies is because their tiny bodies immune system isn't nearly strong enough to fight it off but if you get a grown dog with a weak immune system that isn't producing enough antibodies, even with vaccines that dog might just as well get the Parvo Virus as well, I HIGHLY suggest you Treat the area, either with Bleach, or color safe bleach and disinfectant Do NOT go purchasing another dog until the areas are cleaned. Parvo is a Virus that attacks the inner lining of a dogs stomach allowing bad and harmful bacteria to enter the dogs blood stream, and it tears down whats left of the immune system if untreated allowing other illnesses and diseases to Accure which is what initially kills the dog. even vaccinated dogs have a 10% window to come under attack by the virus, 85% of cases treated early enough and aggressively Survive But 90% Of cases caught too late or not treated end up dying. Parvo can show symptoms, Or it can hide it's self to where you don't know until it's too late. Please treat the areas, If need be get in contact over the phone or in-person with your local vet and Ask them about over the counter sprays or commercial Sprays.

Read More Answers...

I had a puppy that died from parvo. If I get another puppy that already has its shots can it still get the parvo virus?

By NLM from Easley, SC

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Yes, they can still get the virus. Just because your dog or puppies are vaccinated don't mean they can't still get the parvo virus. They can. My nine week old puppy needed one more shot and she got hit hard with the parvo virus and passed yesterday. So yes, they still can get the virus!

How do you treat your lawn for Parvo from a puppy.

By Paulette from Lakewood, WA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Definitely consult a vet on this one. Parvo is very life threatening and not worth taking any chances whatsoever!

How long before you can let your dogs outside, after a pravo outbreak? I have bleached my yard twice, and my other 2 dogs were all updated on shots prior to the outbreak.

The puppy who had pravo was taken to another house for treatment, plus I have bleached my house twice.

By tara102 from OH

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Is this 100% effective do you know?

Home and Garden Cleaning AdviceFebruary 12, 2014
      Ebola Virus Test
      Ebola Virus Charities
      dog with parvo
      Information About Parvo
      A dog being seen by a veterinarian.
      Can a Dog Get Parvo Again?
      Puppy Smelling Flower
      Getting a Puppy After Losing One to Parvo
      © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 20, 2016 at 9:04:29 AM on 10.0.1.206 in 428 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.