Tried and True Ways To Save

By Diana 91 30

I am naturally frugal by nature and often complain that there are NO new frugal tips and hints. These are not new or difficult ideas BUT they do work for me and are tried and true ways to save money!

Laundry Room

Bathrooms

Kitchen and Pantry

Bedrooms or Living Areas

Entertainment

Shopping

Clothing

Holidays

Crafting

Miscellaneous

I hope a few of these work for you and help you save some of your hard earned money!

Diana from Prospect, KY

Do you have a frugal story to share with the ThriftyFun community? Submit your essay here: http://www.thriftyfun.com/post_myfrugallife.ldml

Showing: Comments Sort

By pam munro 522 790 Flag

Love the idea of asking the butchers to sharpen your knives!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By PENNY K 14 564 Flag

These are wonderful ideas, and I've used many of them throughout my life. It's really a mindset mostly I think. One tip more, save small leftovers even if it doesn't seem like enough. We've gotten so used to large portions we often dismiss small amounts, but they can be perfect the next day for a nice little lunch.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Christine 5 Flag

Never would have thought to ask the butcher to sharpen my knives! I grew up calling this list "common sense". Actually growing up was a lot more frugal than just this list out of necessity. Imagine my surprise when I grew up and discovered almost no one strained their cooking oil for re-use, or studded their own winter tires! Unfortunately it's easy to fall out of these habits, but alas, necessity has called again and it's crazy easy to get back into real true frugal living. It's best to get into these habits before you need them.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Betty 104 753 Flag

Use the waffle maker for panni! Mine has been packed away and I've been waiting on a panni maker to go on sale. Diana you just saved me so bucks! Thanks a million!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Mary 2 52 Flag

In the winter when you must use a dryer,remove the hose from the exit and cover the hole,place a knee high stocking over the end of the hose and place where the hot air will blow into the house. This will help keep the house warm and won't waste electricity. Make sure to empty the stocking regularly.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By suet624 1 Flag

I really like the idea of making mittens out of sweaters found at the Goodwill.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By cj wagz 1 50 Flag

I enjoyed reading this post! Most of it was what I call "uncommon sense". I am fortunate I grew up this way. Recently my family has fallen on hard times but we haven't had to adjust too much since we already live frugally and sensibly. Here's my two cents:

When we accumulate many small leftover portions of frozen food such as fries, fish sticks, etc., we bake them all up and have a smorgasbord night! This works with veggies, too. It's a nice way to clear our our chest freezer, which I think is our favorite appliance. I got for $150.00 from a grocery store, and it included $150.00 in coupons. I used all but $3.00 worth and filled my new "free" freezer that day! Best deal I have seen in a long time.

Also, I always save bows, ribbon, and tissue paper to reuse. I have a big under-bed christmas wrap box that I got for 3 bucks after Christmas years ago. I can fit about 5 rolls at the bottom and set gift bags, tissue, and bows on top. Plus I have easy access to it for birthdays and such.

For ornament storage, I made cardboard dividers and put them in shoe boxes, and use newspaper and old tissue paper to cushion the delicate ones.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By syntoniser 5 56 Flag

I, too, enjoyed reading this. You're a woman after my own heart. I have always been frugal and have used many of your suggestions for years. Now in our retirement with much less disposable income it isn't as hard as for some folks who haven't a clue how much waste has been in their lives. My grandmother had a saying: I've done so much with so little for so long that now I can do anything with nothing.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Carolyn C. Cooke 19 222 Flag

Your listing, plus suggestions under "comments," is very valuable. I do question one thing: my bank charges no fee when using card for debit, as it comes directly from account. In this case, the card is just like cash. Don't know if all banks do this, but it would be worth asking. Cay from FL

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By zendog57 2 Flag

Hello... many of the ideas in this column were pretty good, but I have a problem with this one: Pay in cash. Using your credit card or debit card generally adds an additional 15% to your purchase price. That is simply not true. It is a violation of Visa/Mastercard regulations for any merchant to charge a fee to use either of those cards.

I totally agree that one should always pay cash, but whether you pay cash or with a debit card, the net effect of the transation should be the same. I'd be interested to hear how the author reached the conclusion that credit/debit cards add 15% to the cost of an item.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Hannah 8 Flag

I thought Diana had some great ideas on living simply and frugally. Perhaps when she spoke of things bought on credit being 15% more expensive she meant interest charges. I know a lot of people who get their CC bills and are surprised by the interest rates if they don't pay their bill in full each month.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

An older woman holding a piggy bank and giving a thumbs up.
Living Better With Less
Next
Better Living Frugal Living My Frugal LifeNovember 11, 2009
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Living Better With Less
Piggy Bank Surrounded by Money
Adding Up the Savings of a Frugal Life
Recycled Bird Feeder
Recycled Bird Feeder Ideas
Couple Working on Household Expenses
Saving Money on Household Expenses
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 5:22:38 PM on 10.0.0.183 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings