Smelly Black Tar Buildup in Dog's Ear

Category Health
One of the causes for a black smelly build up in your pet's ears can be a yeast or other type of infection. This is a guide about smelly black tar buildup in dog's ear.

My dog has black tar stuff in his ear and it smells, what is it?

Kim from Eugene, OR

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

My black lab gets that too. The vet says it's an ear infection. When she gets this I take her in to have her ears cleaned (I would clean them myself but she is too big and strong for me). If it still smells after that I have some antibiotic drops that help.

Best Answer

The black smelly stuff is a yeast infection. Dogs get this when they are having some type of allergic reaction (ears, nose, throat are all interconnected).

My 1 year old Golden is under veterinary care right now for this problem. The dog gets a medication in the ear twice a day. Also, we use a special ear wash twice a day to wash and help cleanse the area. That wash is an antifungal/antimicrobial solution prescribed by the vet. After we use the wash, we carefully wipe any of that gunky black stuff away. Once the ear has dried, we use the medicine which is rubbed into the ear.

Golden Retrievers are one of the dog breeds that are susceptible to this type of a yeast infection. Our vet told us that it'll probably re-occur off and on, so I would imagine this would be true for your dog, too.

If you check your dog's ears every couple of days, you should be able to control the problem before it becomes inflamed and uncomfortable for your dog.

Best Answer

This is either a yeast or bacterial infection & requires a trip to a vets office. You will need an ear cleanser & antibiotic.

Best Answer

Just got back from the vet. My plott hound has an ear infection, same signs black tarry looking stuff in his ears and head shaking. He was given an anti histamine shot, antibiotic pills, and drops for his ears. The vet also gave me a prescription ear cleaning solution to use once a week after we get the current problem solved.

Anonymous

Thank you so much for the info.

Anonymous

Ear mites. If her ears hurt and she shakes her head then that's def ear mites. Take her to vet as the over the counter meds don't work....

Anonymous

Granular, coffee-ground like black discharge is very likely ear mites.

Hi, is it normal for the dig to yelp when using this solution?

Is dish soap really ok to put in ears. I'm asking cuz I don't want anything to happen. I have a 4no. Old Chihuahua I'm all for home remedy. Curious dog owner. Thanks for this recipe as well. :)

How much was this procedure?

My dog has smelly black tar in his ear. I would like to know what it is. How can I treat it?

By gypsygirl

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

My dog had that. It's an ear infection, probably a yeast infection. I got an ear solution from the vet that cleared it right up. Since then, I've seen lots of posts on ThriftyFun from people who've had success with homemade ear washes using vinegar or women's yeast infection treatment. You could probably try one of those. Just use the google search option in the orange bar at the top of the page and you should find them.

Best Answer

Go to a feed store, pet store, tractor supply, ect. Buy a cleansing ear wash. It's ear wax that can be caused by an infection, mites, or just getting dirty! I have a Bassett and I clean that out of hers every few days! If they are itching badly or the canal is red you might think about a vet. but since you didn't mention her shaking her head a lot or scratching doggie should be fine, but clean them often.

Good luck

Best Answer

Most likely a yeast ear infection. My female pugs has had it a few times. You should take her/him to the vet to get a medicated ear wash. Then after it is treated wash her ears every few days to keep it under control.

The only professional person with qualification to answer this question is your Veterinarian. You don't say how long your dog has had this problem without treatment.

i know this is old but for anyone reading this years later...Try zymox ..the one wuth hydrocortizone

..cheap..highly rated...amazon.com

My black 100 lb Lab has this problem about every 3 months it is My vet has treated it with a syringe full of a waxy substance and identifys it as BNT??? Numberous times. I beg her to give me a prescription for it as i am very capable to do this treatment since i vet my own horses...she will not and requires me to make visits to her to do the treatment herself at a cost. I have invested over $500.+ dollars to her. Oh Yes....I do treat is regularly with a vet ear wash call Epi-Otic. That is somewhat a help until it goes out of control again. I am up in arms to find a treatment to do myself.

Are you using the hydrocortisone after you've washed the dogs ears and removed the black tar stuff?

My dog has the same problem,I'm treating it with green tea tree oil. You mix 5 drops green tea oil and a table spoon olive oil. Clean ear with peroxide and water mix about half and half warmed.Then put 4 to 5 drops of the green tea tree mix. I do it twice a day for 7 days clears it up.

I have a 2 year old black Lab Golden Retriever mix and she has this stuff in her ears that is black and smells bad. I tried to clean them with this stuff called Clean Ears and also put 2 different kinds of drops in them. It works for a day or 2, but then the smell comes back. She also scratches them a lot and now the pink part is starting to turn scaly and red. Sometimes the insides of her ears bleed! I cannot afford to take her to the vet, as vets around here cost too much. What is wrong with her and what can I do for this to make it go away?

By Amanda

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

Golden Retrievers are one of the breeds prone to ear infections & the symptoms you mention are all symptoms. I personally would recommend you contact your vet to have the poor dog's ears checked before it gets too far out of hand.

Best Answer

It does sound like an ear infection, which can be from fungus or bacteria or both. If it is not treated effectively is can result in much pain for your dog, along with loss of hearing or inner ear damage leaving the dog in a state of constant dizzyness for the remainder of its life. At that point you would have no choice but to have your dog euthanized. You cannot afford not to treat this.

Look for a local Vet who will take payments, or has a fund for those who cannot afford treatment. There are several in my area. If you cannot find treatment, take your dog to a local rescue or shelter where it can get treatment. It is sad to not be able to afford a pet, but there are many in that situation these days. It is illegal not to treat a sick pet.

You must take your dog to the vet. Sounds like an ear infection. My shelties used to get them all the time. If you have a pet you have to be a responsible pet owner and provide necessary veterinary care!

Ear mites. She must go to the vet. The ear mite medicine at the stores don't work.

Anonymous

that is a chronic ear infection. need to clean with organic apple cider vinegar and water. mix 1/2 and 1/2 and apply 10 drops in each ear. massage up and down the back of ear to spread it and then let her shake it out. wipe out anything with cotton ball or kleenix. never use paper towel as it's too rough. do this 2x a day till gone. if it's not cleared up after 2 weeks then go to the vet.

My neighbor's dog has had this smelly black looking tar like ear infection for about a year now. I don't know why she hasn't taken her to the vet yet. I was curious what it could be and if it can harm the dog?

By Nonname

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I found these answers for you...I am sad that the neighbor doesn't take the dog to the vet.

http://answers.  304165800AAr1enu

Blessings, Robyn

Sounds like this may be a yeast infection or a bacterial infection. If it is a bacterial infection there is a risk that it will go into the inner ear. If it does it can destroy the animals balance mechanism. This cannot be repaired and almost always requires euthanasia because the animal cannot stay upright. I would warn your neighbor that the consequences of ignoring this can be awful for the animal.

I should have mentioned that you should remind your neighbor that she can be legally prosecuted for not getting medical care for a sick animal.

All of you are real quick to criticize!!!! I understand her my dog has chronic ear problems and I spend about 700 a year!!!! If someone can help great and if not keep uYour comments to yourselves...