Smelly Black Tar Stuff in Dogs Ear - Categories:

HealthDogs

Smelly Black Tar Stuff in Dogs Ear

My dog has black tar stuff in his ear and it smells, what is it?

Kim from Eugene, OR

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance
Best Answer

The black smelly stuff is a yeast infection. Dogs get this when they are having some type of allergic reaction (ears, nose, throat are all interconnected).

My 1 year old Golden is under veterinary care right now for this problem. The dog gets a medication in the ear twice a day. Also, we use a special ear wash twice a day to wash and help cleanse the area. That wash is an antifungal/antimicrobial solution prescribed by the vet. After we use the wash, we carefully wipe any of that gunky black stuff away. Once the ear has dried, we use the medicine which is rubbed into the ear.

Golden Retrievers are one of the dog breeds that are susceptible to this type of a yeast infection. Our vet told us that it'll probably re-occur off and on, so I would imagine this would be true for your dog, too.

If you check your dog's ears every couple of days, you should be able to control the problem before it becomes inflamed and uncomfortable for your dog.

Best Answer

This is either a yeast or bacterial infection & requires a trip to a vets office. You will need an ear cleanser & antibiotic.

Best Answer

Just got back from the vet. My plott hound has an ear infection, same signs black tarry looking stuff in his ears and head shaking. He was given an anti histamine shot, antibiotic pills, and drops for his ears. The vet also gave me a prescription ear cleaning solution to use once a week after we get the current problem solved.

My black lab gets that too. The vet says it's an ear infection. When she gets this I take her in to have her ears cleaned (I would clean them myself but she is too big and strong for me). If it still smells after that I have some antibiotic drops that help.

Please don't delay. Take your dog to the vet.

If it's got that far the dog must be suffering.

Take your dog to doctor, this is a yeast infection, and needs medical help

Ear Wash

This recipe was given to me by "Affordable Neutering and Spaying Clinic" in my town. It works perfect and it saved me an expensive vet office visit and the cost of the solution they usually sell me at $12 + tax.

1/4 cup warm water

1/4 cup white vinegar

1/2 tsp. boric acid....really cheap from the pharmacy, you have to ask them for it as it is kept behind the counter....lasts forever.

2 drops of tea tree oil

2 drops of dish detergent

Shake the empty jar you will mix this all up in. Use a couple of cotton balls, soak, put in pet's ear, fold the ear flap down and and gently rub it in circular motions for about 30 seconds. Remove and stand back as pet will shake their head! Repeat for second ear.

Use once a day for a week and once a week from this point on to prevent.

I usually take a cotton ball or two and wipe the ear out a bit, amazing the black junk that comes out. This works for ear mites, also. Those smell just as bad and a lot of gunk will come out.

Hi, is it normal for the dig to yelp when using this solution?

Most likely it is a mild to severe yeast infection. Get your dog to a Vet immediately and he will give you drops to put in his ears and it will go away quickly. Everyday use Apple Cidar Vinegar on a cotton ball to clean his ears. If the smell and build up continues, back to the Vet. One of my Golden Retrievers was plagued by ear infections, and finally my Vet's associate had to do a ear resection to clear up the problem for good. Hurry!

This is a food allergy. I'm almost certain that your dog is allergic to wheat. Try a wheat free diet (any and all gluten) for a couple of months and the black yeast will clear up.

My 6 yr old chihuahua has thick black stuff in his ears and it stinks. I tried cleaning his ears but it hurts him. What's wrong with his ears?

I have spent hundreds of dollars on vet visits over the past 7 months and I MUST thank you for the recipe as it worked and she is all cleared up.

After worrying about my dog, everyone who made suggestions helped me a lot to understand what was wrong with him. Thanks everyone.

We have had this issue with my dog & I'm a smoker & I wondered at times if my smoking was effecting his ears. If you look at a tissue that someone blew cigarette smoke through, you would see the black tar. Just something to think about.

I have taken my dogs to the vet and they have both been treated for fungus/yeast and usually an antibiotic ear drop. The yeast always comes back. Being a thrify person I researched the drug the vet gave me and tried to find my own cheaper OTC remedy. The golden retriever, has large floppy ears. He will smell terrible (and the kids that he loves shun him) and gets a brown waxy, gross looking buildup in the ears. Bathing makes it better for 1 or 2 days then it gets worse. I found with him getting it cleared with medication from the vet or I have used womens OTC yeast infection cream in his ear. Same drug and figure it should be gentle enough. Once it clears I found that putting CVS baby powder that contains zinc oxide in his ears weekly keeps it under control. I also have used dollar store foot powder and it works as well. I have read zinc oxide can be toxic so don't over do it. http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pe ... zinc-poisoning-toxicity-in-pets/8077 The other mix breed terrier type dog has small ears and I read that the canel can become clogged. Her problems are usually in the dry dusty time of the year. The cleaning and putting a bit of almond oil seems to work for her. I think she gets dirt clogs in the ear canals. She doesn't smell bad but seems to have a bit of jealousy when the other dog gets all the ear attention, not sure if her ears really are bothering her or just wanting attention.

Thank you so much for the info.

Granular, coffee-ground like black discharge is very likely ear mites.

March 30, 2013 Flag

I have a 2 year old black Lab Golden Retriever mix and she has this stuff in her ears that is black and smells bad. I tried to clean them with this stuff called Clean Ears and also put 2 different kinds of drops in them. It works for a day or 2, but then the smell comes back. She also scratches them a lot and now the pink part is starting to turn scaly and red. Sometimes the insides of her ears bleed! I cannot afford to take her to the vet, as vets around here cost too much. What is wrong with her and what can I do for this to make it go away?

By Amanda

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

It does sound like an ear infection, which can be from fungus or bacteria or both. If it is not treated effectively is can result in much pain for your dog, along with loss of hearing or inner ear damage leaving the dog in a state of constant dizzyness for the remainder of its life. At that point you would have no choice but to have your dog euthanized. You cannot afford not to treat this.

Look for a local Vet who will take payments, or has a fund for those who cannot afford treatment. There are several in my area. If you cannot find treatment, take your dog to a local rescue or shelter where it can get treatment. It is sad to not be able to afford a pet, but there are many in that situation these days. It is illegal not to treat a sick pet.

You must take your dog to the vet. Sounds like an ear infection. My shelties used to get them all the time. If you have a pet you have to be a responsible pet owner and provide necessary veterinary care!

Ear mites. She must go to the vet. The ear mite medicine at the stores don't work.

that is a chronic ear infection. need to clean with organic apple cider vinegar and water. mix 1/2 and 1/2 and apply 10 drops in each ear. massage up and down the back of ear to spread it and then let her shake it out. wipe out anything with cotton ball or kleenix. never use paper towel as it's too rough. do this 2x a day till gone. if it's not cleared up after 2 weeks then go to the vet.

Read More Answers...

May 13, 2013 Flag

My neighbor's dog has had this smelly black looking tar like ear infection for about a year now. I don't know why she hasn't taken her to the vet yet. I was curious what it could be and if it can harm the dog?

By Nonname

I found these answers for you...I am sad that the neighbor doesn't take the dog to the vet.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080304165800AAr1enu

Blessings, Robyn

Sounds like this may be a yeast infection or a bacterial infection. If it is a bacterial infection there is a risk that it will go into the inner ear. If it does it can destroy the animals balance mechanism. This cannot be repaired and almost always requires euthanasia because the animal cannot stay upright. I would warn your neighbor that the consequences of ignoring this can be awful for the animal.

I should have mentioned that you should remind your neighbor that she can be legally prosecuted for not getting medical care for a sick animal.

All of you are real quick to criticize!!!! I understand her my dog has chronic ear problems and I spend about 700 a year!!!! If someone can help great and if not keep uYour comments to yourselves...

August 28, 2011 Flag

My dog has smelly black tar in his ear. I would like to know what it is. How can I treat it?

By gypsygirl

Go to a feed store, pet store, tractor supply, ect. Buy a cleansing ear wash. It's ear wax that can be caused by an infection, mites, or just getting dirty! I have a Bassett and I clean that out of hers every few days! If they are itching badly or the canal is red you might think about a vet. but since you didn't mention her shaking her head a lot or scratching doggie should be fine, but clean them often.

Good luck

The only professional person with qualification to answer this question is your Veterinarian. You don't say how long your dog has had this problem without treatment.

Most likely a yeast ear infection. My female pugs has had it a few times. You should take her/him to the vet to get a medicated ear wash. Then after it is treated wash her ears every few days to keep it under control.

i know this is old but for anyone reading this years later...Try zymox ..the one wuth hydrocortizone

..cheap..highly rated...amazon.com

Read More Answers...
Pets Dogs HealthNovember 28, 2007
Photo of spring cleaning supplies.
Cleaning Tar Off Vinyl
A woman with swimmers ear.
Treating and Preventing Swimmers Ear
Removing Pine Tar from Baseball Pants. Baseball Player with Bat on White Background
Removing Pine Tar from Baseball Pants
Removing Tar from Clothing, Removing Tar from Upholstery, Removing Tar from Aluminum Siding
Removing Tar from Aluminum Siding
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 27, 2016 at 12:01:07 PM on 10.0.0.151 in 6 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.