Browsing: Removing Odors from the Microwave

Removing Burnt Smell From Microwave

Alright, my name is Haily. I'm 15 years old. So just recently, tonight, I got hungry and I really wanted macaroni and cheese. So, my mom got those little mac'n'cheese cups that go in the microwave. Well, being as stupid as I am, I put the cup in the microwave, forgetting to put water in it. I put it in the microwave for 2 minutes like they say. And well, it completely like melted, and burned the noodles to a crisp.

I was home alone, so my parents didn't find out at first, so I opened the windows and doors and aired out the house. But I'm worried about getting the smell out of the microwave. We have one of those wall built in things, and my parents said that if I couldn't get the smell out of the microwave that I'm paying with my own money to get it fixed.

Now I'm looking for help. Not comments from people telling me that I'm irresponsible.
So, please, help?

--xoxo

By Haily from Pittsburgh, PA

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance
Best Answer

My answer to everything: Oranges! Always keep some on hand for just such disasters as burning food in the kitchen. Cut an orange into fourths, and heat it in the microwave just until it's hot enough to give the oven an orangey smell, do not burn it, or you'll have two problems. Cut two or three more oranges up, and lay them on plates elsewhere in the kitchen. The citrus odor will eventually overpower the burnt odor, and your sanity will be restored. :)

Best Answer

I think it eventually goes away on its own. The kids at school used to burn popcorn on a fairly regular basis -- and the microwaves didn't smell for too long.

Best Answer

Are you certain that the microwave is safe to use after an internal fire? If so, here's a suggestion.

Leave a large (microwave safe) mixing bowl, with a couple of cups of white vinegar in the microwave overnight. (Door closed.) The next day, add some water and heat til the liquid boils. (Watch closely, you don't want to boil dry and start another fire.) Don't open the door and let it steep for 10 to 20 minutes. Once the liquid has cooled to warm, use a clean rag, dipping it into the water/vinegar mix and wringing it out, to wipe down the interior. You may have to repeat the boil and cool routine.

If it smells better, but you notice the smokey smell returning after regular use, it's probable that there is more damage than you thought and the oven is damaged to the point of being a fire hazard. If this happens, unplug the microwave and discontinue use until it is professionally repaired or just replace it. It's not worth the electrical fire risk to keep using it as is.

I have heard that leaving charcoal in the microwave, fridge etc., takes the odor out. Good luck.

Gee Haily I bet you were really scared! That could have burned your house down. I hope you learned a lesson about paying attention to what you are doing from now on. Using vinegar for now, get lemon juice next and try to get rid of smell. Hope you have a lot of money saved up! This gramma had the very same thing happen last night. What a coincidence!

Accidents happen to anyone. If you have washed the inside good then the smell is in the vents. You will have to get that out Put a little vinegar water in a cup and heat for one minute then let it sit in there overnight. If that doesn't work but sone cinnamon water in a cup and try that. Eventually it will go away.

Haily, I want you to do me a favor. Please never think or refer to yourself as stupid again, okay? Your request to TF for advice is actually one of the most well-written I've seen here and you're only 15! The advice about vinegar and/or lemon juice from others is good and it sounds as though you've learned your lesson about taking time to really be sure of what you're doing before using any kind of machine or appliance. Stay safe and keep in touch with TF. There's lots of good advice here about lots of things. :-)

Heating vinegar as told already will work but so will charcoal you use for your grill outside. Good luck to you - my 78 year old mother-in-law did the same thing a few mornings ago with a sausage biscuit, so accident can happen to anyone.

I agree with the vinegar. I sprayed just a bit of apple cider vinegar on the walls of the microwave and left it closed all night. The smell was gone in the morning. Hope the smell goes away for you!

Haily: Guess what? I'm 55 years old and just did the exact same thing yesterday! Which is why I am on this site! I Googled this same question and found my way to ThrifyFun which I didn't know existed. So, your accident helped me find an excellent site and great help! See, there's always a silver lining!

I am sorry your parents are taking it so harshly. Trust me, accidents happen to all of us especially when we are first learning to do something new. The smell will go away, but it will take a couple of days.

To help speed up the process wipe the inside "don't forget the top and the inside of the door" with lemon juice or white vinegar. Then place a microwaveable bowl or cup of white vinegar in the microwave for a couple of minutes, leave the door closed for 5 minutes after it is done. Then wipe down the inside with Vinegar once a day until the smell is gone. The smell will go away. :)

Haily, I'll be 67 soon and just did a stupider thing than you ever thought of, and that is why my boyfriend found you. He was looking for a solution for my stench. I made bacon. I have always used paper towels under and over.

This time I had a bunch of flimsy napkins I wanted to use up. They caught fire. Heck of a nasty mess. I'm so glad you solicited all these great remedies. I'm going to use them all. Thank all of you for your understanding and kindness to us dummies. Phyl

PS Wish I'd thought to take a picture. I really wanted that bacon, too.

This is a really great trick that will take out the odor in no time. Take a bag of popcorn and open it up, dump the kernels into the microwave and turn it on. As the kernels pop, they will soak up the smell and you'll be fine. I wouldn't recommend eating the popcorn though, through it out after its been sitting fully popped in the microwave for five or ten minutes.

10.23.14 I don't have an answer and been trying to Google one. I just had to reply to this post because my 11 y/o daughter did the EXACT SAME THING on Tues and I'm trying to get the smell out of the microwave with NO luck. I can get the smoke out of the house, its just that every time you use the microwave the burn smell is emitted and that cant be healthy smelling that all the time.

May 16, 2011 Flag

I was making one of those noodle microwave dishes (the black tray ones), I opened it up and put the dried vegetables in the container and put it in the microwave for 5 minutes. When there was a minute and something left, my kitchen was filled with smoke. I couldn't see inside microwave and the plastic tray melted. Now I have yellow staining and a nasty smell in my microwave. I also need help getting the gunk off the top of the microwave.

By Dedra

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Yes, the Yakisoba ones call for 4 minutes in the microwave. However, I'm guessing the problem was the OP didn't put in the water.

The smell will go away over time, like how it does if you burn a bag of popcorn. I know you can put a mug of water in the oven, let it boil for a minute or so, then leave the microwave door shut for an hour or so. The warm steam will help loosen any other mess still left in the oven so you can scrape it off with a plastic spatula.

Good luck!

I have removed odors with white vinegar. Put 50% vinegar to 50% water in a glass bowl or measuring cup, large enough to allow it to boil, and let it come to a boil and leave it in there for a while and see if this will help.

Easy solution to both problems...

Using a glass microwave safe bowl fill 3/4 full of water, add 2 spoon fulls of baking soda then place half a lemon in the bowl (if you don't have a fresh lemon use lemon juice or lemon essential oil)

Set microwave for 4 minutes them allow 3 minutes after to steam.

Remove the bowl ( use pot holders )

The lemon/ baking soda water mix loosens all mess inside and it will wipe clean with a paper towel.

I suggest after cleaning that you fill a small bowl with baking soda and a couple drops lemon oil (optional) and leave it in the oven when its not in use, this absorbs all odors and keeps it smelling fresh. Change once a month, I use the old soda down my kitchen sink to deodorize the garbage disposal too.

Good luck.

March 12, 2012 Flag

My microwave smells and is stained after burning corn dogs. How do I clean it?

By Linda

Cut a lemon in half and squeeze into a bowl. Add the lemon halves to the bowl and microwave on high for 90 seconds to 2 minutes. This should leave a lemon scent in the microwave.

To help with the smell I would suggest using the lemon as the other poster suggested but also baking soda. I placed baking soda on a plate about two cups worth spread out over the plate and left in microwave over night. The next day I re-cleaned, re-lemoned and placed a new plate with fresh baking soda and left it over night.

Took about five days of cleaning using lemon and baking soda to put a dent in the burnt popcorn smell. I had a brown stain that I never was able to get rid of fully.

February 7, 2011 Flag

How do I get smoke smell out of my microwave oven after having a fire in it?

By S Vennink from Carroll, IA

Answers:

Removing Burnt Smell From Microwave

If it smells better, but you notice the smokey smell returning after regular use, it's probable that there is more damage than you thought and the oven is damaged to the point of being a fire hazard. If this happens, unplug the microwave and discontinue use until it is professionally repaired or just replace it. It's not worth the electrical fire risk to keep using it as is. (11/29/2010)

By KansasCindy

November 29, 2010 Flag

How do I get the smell of burnt popcorn out of the microwave?

By Allyn

Answers:

Removing Burnt Smell From Microwave

My answer to everything: oranges! Always keep some on hand for just such disasters as burning food in the kitchen. Cut an orange into fourths, and heat it in the microwave just until it's hot enough to give the oven an orangey smell, do not burn it, or you'll have two problems. Cut two or three more oranges up, and lay them on plates elsewhere in the kitchen. The citrus odor will eventually overpower the burnt odor, and your sanity will be restored. :) (10/19/2010)

By WildIrish

Removing Burnt Smell From Microwave

Well there is not much you can really do except orange like someone else said. If I were you I'd put some baking soda in there too just clean it and it usually helps the smell a little. Good luck! (10/19/2010)

By beckyschmecky

Removing Burnt Smell From Microwave

Well, when I did it, I tried everything I could think of and nothing helped, so I bought a new one. The smelly one set around for a year or so, but when I had to use it again the smell was gone. So I guess time will get rid of the smell.

Penny (10/20/2010)

By pjcustar

Removing Burnt Smell From Microwave

I think it eventually goes away on its own. The kids at school used to burn popcorn on a fairly regular basis and the microwaves didn't smell for too long. (10/21/2010)

By louel53

October 18, 2010 Flag

What can you do to remove the smell of burnt food from a microwave oven?

August 25, 2010 Flag

I burned popcorn in my microwave. How do I remove the odor?

July 13, 2010 Flag

How do you get rid of a burnt smell in a microwave?

April 30, 2010 Flag

How can I get rid of burnt plastic smell in my microwave?

March 2, 2010 Flag

I burnt bacon in the microwave and need to know how to clean it, please?

February 1, 2010 Flag

How do I eliminate burnt popcorn odor from microwave?

September 10, 2009 Flag

My 5 year old son put a cup of that 3 minute noodle soup in the microwave and didn't add enough water. I have tried everything to get the burnt smell out.

June 25, 2009 Flag

I recently put a potato in the microwave wrapped in wax paper. Then I saw the smoke and came to the kitchen to see a fire blazing in the microwave.

March 16, 2009 Flag

How do you remove a burned smell from the microwave?

March 9, 2009 Flag

How do I get rid of burnt popcorn smell from the microwave?

February 24, 2009 Flag

I cooked a corn dog in the microwave and it burned. Filled the room with an acid smelling smoke.

September 4, 2008 Flag

One of my daughters burnt popcorn in our brand new microwave. I have tried everything to get rid of the burnt smell, but it is still there.

November 13, 2007 Flag

My son cooked Easy Mac in my microwave, but forgot to add water. Now my microwave really reeks!

January 4, 2005 Flag

I was recently given a microwave oven and it has a burnt smell. The previous owner was heating up a wheat bag and it burnt and now the oven has an unpleasant smell.

Photo of a white microwave oven.
Removing Odors from the Microwave
Home and Garden Cleaning AppliancesFebruary 7, 2011
A carved turkey breast.
Cooking a Turkey Breast in the Microwave
Burnt Food
Removing Burnt Food Smell from House
Removing Burnt Popcorn Smell and Stains from a Microwave
Fixing Burnt Sausage
Fixing Burnt Sausage
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 26, 2016 at 3:25:55 PM on 10.0.0.186 in 12 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.