Removing Burnt Smell From a Microwave

Category Appliances
Microwave popcorn being made.
When food gets burnt in a microwave it can leave behind a strong burnt odor that can be challenging to remove. This page shares advice about removing burnt smell from a microwave.

Alright, my name is Haily. I'm 15 years old. So just recently, tonight, I got hungry and I really wanted macaroni and cheese. So, my mom got those little mac'n'cheese cups that go in the microwave. Well, being as stupid as I am, I put the cup in the microwave, forgetting to put water in it. I put it in the microwave for 2 minutes like they say. And well, it completely like melted, and burned the noodles to a crisp.

I was home alone, so my parents didn't find out at first, so I opened the windows and doors and aired out the house. But I'm worried about getting the smell out of the microwave. We have one of those wall built in things, and my parents said that if I couldn't get the smell out of the microwave that I'm paying with my own money to get it fixed.

Now I'm looking for help. Not comments from people telling me that I'm irresponsible.
So, please, help?

--xoxo

By Haily from Pittsburgh, PA

Answers

Best Answer

My answer to everything: Oranges! Always keep some on hand for just such disasters as burning food in the kitchen. Cut an orange into fourths, and heat it in the microwave just until it's hot enough to give the oven an orangey smell, do not burn it, or you'll have two problems. Cut two or three more oranges up, and lay them on plates elsewhere in the kitchen. The citrus odor will eventually overpower the burnt odor, and your sanity will be restored. :)

Best Answer

I think it eventually goes away on its own. The kids at school used to burn popcorn on a fairly regular basis -- and the microwaves didn't smell for too long.

Best Answer

Are you certain that the microwave is safe to use after an internal fire? If so, here's a suggestion.

Leave a large (microwave safe) mixing bowl, with a couple of cups of white vinegar in the microwave overnight. (Door closed.) The next day, add some water and heat til the liquid boils. (Watch closely, you don't want to boil dry and start another fire.) Don't open the door and let it steep for 10 to 20 minutes. Once the liquid has cooled to warm, use a clean rag, dipping it into the water/vinegar mix and wringing it out, to wipe down the interior. You may have to repeat the boil and cool routine.

If it smells better, but you notice the smokey smell returning after regular use, it's probable that there is more damage than you thought and the oven is damaged to the point of being a fire hazard. If this happens, unplug the microwave and discontinue use until it is professionally repaired or just replace it. It's not worth the electrical fire risk to keep using it as is.

I was making one of those noodle microwave dishes (the black tray ones), I opened it up and put the dried vegetables in the container and put it in the microwave for 5 minutes. When there was a minute and something left, my kitchen was filled with smoke. I couldn't see inside microwave and the plastic tray melted. Now I have yellow staining and a nasty smell in my microwave. I also need help getting the gunk off the top of the microwave.

By Dedra

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

Yes, the Yakisoba ones call for 4 minutes in the microwave. However, I'm guessing the problem was the OP didn't put in the water.

The smell will go away over time, like how it does if you burn a bag of popcorn. I know you can put a mug of water in the oven, let it boil for a minute or so, then leave the microwave door shut for an hour or so. The warm steam will help loosen any other mess still left in the oven so you can scrape it off with a plastic spatula.

Good luck!

Best Answer

I have removed odors with white vinegar. Put 50% vinegar to 50% water in a glass bowl or measuring cup, large enough to allow it to boil, and let it come to a boil and leave it in there for a while and see if this will help.

My microwave smells and is stained after burning corn dogs. How do I clean it?

By Linda

Best Answer

Cut a lemon in half and squeeze into a bowl. Add the lemon halves to the bowl and microwave on high for 90 seconds to 2 minutes. This should leave a lemon scent in the microwave.

Best Answer

To help with the smell I would suggest using the lemon as the other poster suggested but also baking soda. I placed baking soda on a plate about two cups worth spread out over the plate and left in microwave over night. The next day I re-cleaned, re-lemoned and placed a new plate with fresh baking soda and left it over night.

Took about five days of cleaning using lemon and baking soda to put a dent in the burnt popcorn smell. I had a brown stain that I never was able to get rid of fully.

This is a guide about removing yellow stains from inside a microwave. Burning food in your microwave can often leave unsightly yellow stains that are difficult to remove.

Hand cleaning inside of a microwave oven with a rag

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

How do you get rid of a burnt smell in a microwave?

By Dave from Bensalem, PA

Answers:

Lemon, Baking Soda and Charcoal

1. Boil slices of lemon in a bowl of water inside the microwave for five minutes. Wipe down.

2. Sprinkle baking soda all over the inside and scrub with the open flesh of 1/2 a lemon. Rinse, wipe down.

3. Place charcoal inside, shut and leave for 24 hours.

By Carly34

White Vinegar

Put a cup half full of white vinegar in the microwave. Put the timer on high for about 5 minutes, keeping an eye on it the entire time. Let it boil for a few minutes. Turn off microwave, and in about 5 minutes, take out the cup with vinegar, and wipe down the entire inside, door jams and glass. Do this twice and the smell will be gone.

By islandsage

Vinegar, Coffee and Vanilla

Vinegar helps a lot but watch it carefully, I added 2/3 cup vinegar in a Pyrex class cup and initially it did boil, then it continued to boil. Not noticing that it was spilling over and evaporating, suddenly the microwave door bursts open.

I then tried bringing coffee and water to a boil, that helped as well, since the smell of vinegar lingered. Finally, I brought vanilla in water to a boil and that helped helped, tremendously. As with anything, keep an eye on the microwave to prevent over spills and pops!

By chexindamail

Load More