Browsing: Homemade Cat Litter Ideas

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Homemade Cat Litter Ideas

Many cat owners prefer to make their own cat litter, rather than buy the commercial varieties available at the store. This is a guide about homemade cat litter ideas.

litterbox in kids' bathroom.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

August 8, 2016 Flag

Cat litter is messy and can be is expensive. After trying a few different alternatives, I have found one that works great and is much less expensive!

Here is what to do and how:
I use equine bedding pellets. They are made from saw dust, I think. A 40 pound bag is about $7 at any feed store and lasts as long as the same amount of kitty litter would have lasted you. I add the same amount of the equine pellets to the litter box and mix in about 2 cups of baking soda. A large bag at Costco is about $7 and lasts months. Then I add about 1 cup of water (don't worry - it gets soaked up quickly by the pellets).

The odor is much better controlled and you can go a few more days between changing/cleanings than usual if you want or need to. I dump out the entire litter box each time and do the whole process again. It is super easy and so cheap! I have been doing this for over a year and am so glad to be saving so much money. It is non-toxic and creates much less dust!

August 19, 2011 Flag

Shred some newspaper and soak it in a Tbsp. of dish soap and water. Allow it to soak until the water gets dirty. Drain it off in a colander and re-soak it in plain water. Drain it again and mix in some baking soda. Squeeze out some of the water, breaking it up, and leave flat to dry for at least 48 hours. Now you have homemade cat litter.

By Karin from Benbrook, TX

February 11, 2014 Flag

Please do NOT use Speedy Dry or any similar product as cat litter. At least some of them have additives that may be harmful to or fatal for your cat. I foster so therefore have a lot of cats and am ALWAYS concerned with cost.

March 11, 2010 Flag

Can someone advise me on how to make homemade cat litter?

By nailed from Ogden, UT

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

There are some suggestions in the ThriftyFun archives below :-)

I found a great web site for making homemade cat litter. Try this homemade one, http://www.ehow.com/how_4868252_make-homemade-cat-litter.

February 13, 2012 Flag

How can I make homemade cat litter?

By Debbie

Chances are, your cat is already accustomed to the brand you're supplying at the moment. If you're lucky, it'll accept your substitute but if it's an older cat, chances are it's not going to like the change. I'm not sure of any homemade cat litter recipes that will get cats do their business on but have you thought of adding a filler like sand for example to make a bag last longer? Just a thought. Also, make sure you're using a covered litter tray so that litter stays contained. The waste from your cat digging adds up.

March 11, 2010 Flag

How do you make clumping cat litter?

By Andy from US

Answers:

Make Your Own Cat Litter

Sorry, but I don't think you're going to be able to find a recipe for clumping litter because the companies that manufacture it guard that info under lock and key. (10/24/2009)

By Deeli

Make Your Own Cat Litter

Try to find pine wood stove pellets. They break down into a powder when they get wet, the pine helps with odor, and they cost considerably less. I add them in with the clumping litter (3/4 litter to 1/4 pine) and find I'm using about 1/2 the litter I did before (7 cats, that's a lot of litter). You can use them as all litter, but it depends on the cats. We have one litter box all pellets and the others are mixed.

I try to stock up when I find them, (when we visit family in PA can always find them) as their availability can vary - I store them in empty litter containers. I've tried other wood stove pellets, but pine works best for odor control. (10/27/2009)

By cowpunkgal

Make Your Own Cat Litter

We own a bentonite clay mine and I know that one of the companies that buys the bentonite clay from us makes cat litter out of it. How, I don't know, but maybe you could google bentonite clay. (10/27/2009)

By catastrofy

October 22, 2009 Flag

Does anyone know how to make clumping cat litter? It is getting very expensive to purchase.

By RealtorRose from Malvern, PA

Answers:

Make Your Own Cat Litter

I have not seen anything on how to make clumping cat litter. However, I see two possible options for saving money on cat litter: 1) Toilet train your cat (I tried this with my adult cat and it worked pretty well until he generalized to the sink), or 2) Try this homemade cat litter recipe, http://alliesanswers.com/tip-of-the-day/tip-of-the-day-make-your-own-kitty-litter/1044. (I don't think it clumps, but it is cheap!) (05/04/2009)

By Aimee529

Make Your Own Cat Litter

The best way to eliminate the smell is to use chlorophyll, like you find in grass clippings. To avoid bringing unwanted pests into the house, bag or cover clippings with black plastic and leave it in the sun for a couple of hours to heat up. Open it to the air to eliminate dampness from condensation, then fill the litter box. This works with fall leaves as well. If you use any chemicals on your lawn, don't use this method. (05/04/2009)

By bebhinne

Make Your Own Cat Litter

If you have dollar trees, it's just 1.00 for 4 lbs. That's pretty good. (05/04/2009)

By Poor But Proud

Make Your Own Cat Litter

Bebhinne, so you just take grass clippings (after you have bagged them in the sun) and put them in the litter box and dump it every few days? (05/05/2009)

By Aimee529

Make Your Own Cat Litter

Aimee, well, it doesn't clump, but it's great at killing the odor. This would be used more like the old style litter and be changed out completely every week or less. We found out by accident how well this works when one of our cats decided she preferred to live in the garage. The lawnmower had been put away and some clippings were on the garage floor. We didn't realize she'd been relieving herself there until we went to use the mower the next week. No smell! After some experimentation, I came upon the bagging method to kill any bugs that get mixed in with the clippings. (05/06/2009)

By bebhinne

April 28, 2009 Flag

Is there a way to make cat litter -- or use something else in place of it that is inexpensive?

Pets CatsFebruary 13, 2012
Reusing Cat Litter Buckets
Reusing Cat Litter Buckets
Cat in Litter Box
Cat Not Using the Litter Box
Cat exiting a litter box.
Cat Litter Mat Reviews
Cat Litter
Alternative Uses for Cat Litter
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 21, 2016 at 11:41:04 PM on 10.0.0.143 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.