When Do I Harvest Rhubarb?

I have rhubarb growing in my garden. When do you cut it for freezing or cooking? When is the right harvest time?

By Sheila

Best Answer

Where I grew up we didn't cut the rhubarb, we pulled each stalk out. I don't know how to explain when to cut it. You don't want it to get too old. Maybe when the stalks are about as big around as your thumb, sometimes a little smaller.

I agree with redhattterb, pull it, don't cut it. Pulling it makes new shoots come up and that is what keeps it multiplying. Pull it anytime it seems large enough to pull. And when you do, only pull about 1/3 of the plant at one time. Wait till it grows up again before pulling anymore.

As soon as it gets tall and thick. You can get many harvests if you keep it trimmed down.

Hands holding freshly picked rhubarb stalks
Harvesting Rhubarb
Home and Garden Gardening GrowingMay 3, 2011
Rhubarb
Cleaning Rhubarb
Freezing Rhubarb
Freezing Rhubarb
Rhubarb
Cooking Rhubarb
round flat rhubarb bread/cake with slice in foreground
Rhubarb Bread Recipes
🎉
🎄