Browsing: Remedies for Stinky Dogs

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Remedies for Stinky Dogs

There are some home remedies you can use to help eliminate doggie odor. This is a guide containing remedies for stinky dogs.

Dog laying on a couch.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

April 1, 2013 Flag

Every time I bring my long-haired female Dachshund in from her potty, I use baby wipes for sensitive skin (fragrance and alcohol free) on her bottom and the bottoms of her feet. If she smells a little "doggy", I will wipe her down with one. I rarely bathe my dog, as it dries out their skin, but regularly brush her. She has no odor.

By Luann D.

February 16, 2016 Flag

My Lab rolls in rotting animals that he finds, while exploring the area. My sense of smell is killing me. How to rid him of this disgusting odor?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Well, it's not so much the smell I would be worried about, but rather the possible vermin, disease, or chemical (if the animal was poisoned) your dog could pick up on its fur and possibly later lick off. Unfortunately unless you are going to figure out a way to keep your pup away from things like that, I'm thinking a bath each time may be the safest bet. Also, call the vet to see if there is something they can recommend to stop the pup from doing it.

Give your dog a bath by wetting the hair lather with lots of Dawn dish washing liquid. Then use baking soda to coat the hair completely. Next pour vinegar all over the hair. This neutralizes odors. Let sit for 5 min while massaging it in, and rinse. Follow with shampoo. This also works great on skunk spray! Your dog will b odor free!!

June 27, 2013 Flag

I have a 12 week old Husky that wets herself while laying, sleeping, and playing. Her coat is drenched with urine and smells bad. I took her to the vet, but they said it's normal. I've never seen a dog wet itself like that. What can I do to clean her coat, because I don't want to wash her everyday. Please help.

By Natasha W.

This is definitely not normal, please go to a different vet. Also ask the new vet for a sanitary cut. They will shave the area around the animal's privates, this will help with some of the issue, but not the root cause. There is something seriously wrong please see a different vet

This is not normal. She probably has a bladder infection. Make sure she see's a new vet and gets on some antibiotics. I have raised huskies for years and never had this problem. The urine can even burn her skin if it goes on. U can wash her with Dawn dish soap which is great for stinky odors.

Read More Answers...

March 16, 2013 Flag

I have two dogs that have been outside dogs for a year. Next week we are moving to our new home and they will be inside dogs once again : ) My two dogs stink, oh so bad! I need help, please!

By Tina A.

If this is the stink that comes back day after bath? The kind your hand smells putrid by a few pats of their had and back? Very specific instructions and cannot use on any collie type or sheepdog let me know and I will send you my phone or you can send me yours. A cure is possible. I did my own under supervision from my old fashioned vet.

That is my dog.. I have a Blue Nose Pitbull and she is 11 months. When I give her a bath she is okay but the next day the smell is back.. I don't know what to do...She also scratches a lot.. And she is a in house dog.. I need help please...

Read More Answers...

July 23, 2005 Flag

For Labrador Retrievers, mix one part Listerine with one part water and spray on after bathing to cut down on the Lab smell.

By Susan

October 16, 2009 Flag

I wrote asking for tips and have now cured the 'smelly' dog. I got a second vet's opinion regarding the awful smell my chocolate brown Lab had. The vet diagnosed a yeast infection and prescribed an anti fungal and anti bacterial shampoo. Shampoo twice a week for a month. After one shampoo the awful pervading smell vanished. I will continue and finish the treatment.

By Sylvia

February 21, 2012 Flag

I have tried several products and none of them do the job. I want sound advice as I have spent enough money and none of the products work. I only get temporary results.

By GD from Lynn, MA

Maybe the anal glands need to be emptied. It is common for them to still smell after a bath when this is needed. If you don't know how, you can look it up on the computer or have a dog groomer or the vet do it.

Either you're overly sensitive about odors or you need to take your dog to a vet for evaluation. Dogs like humans have their own smell but if your animal is healthy and you clean the house every week it shouldn't be a problem. Does your dog have any sores on it's body, bad teeth & gums, etc.? Take it up with your vet.

Read More Answers...

May 4, 2013 Flag

I have just gotten a long rough haired Collie who has been outside and I need to have him in the house. I have bathed him in medicated dog shampoo, but he still smells! His white fur has turned a bit, let's say, not white. Can anyone help?

By Julie R

Our lab got skunked and we tried every old trick in the book. Out of desperation, I finally told my husband I wanted to try our tea tree shampoo. IT WORKED! I bought ours from Cost Cutters (Walmart) but there are tons of brands. I think they may be one of the cheaper ones though. After one wash with the tea tree shampoo, the smell was gone completely!

I used to have a Westie and I used a tear free shampoo for black dogs. The shampoo is a deep blue and removes the yellow gray and leaves your dog white , white , white. I used to be a hair stylist and we always used blue shampoo on white hair.

Read More Answers...

June 25, 2015 Flag

I have a Pit Bull and he is not potty trained. His paws are really stinky because he steps on the urine after he pees. I really hate the smell of it since he lays with me and my sheets smell like stinky dog. When I shower him the urine won't come off his paws. How can I clean his paws, or what should I buy so I can take the smell and the urine off his paws?

Try washing his feet with oatmeal shampoo - or try dissolving a tablespoon of baking soda into some warm water & bathing his feet with a cotton ball soaked in this. Clean gently between his toes as well. Rinse with warm water. Towel dry.

September 17, 2013 Flag

I have an 80 lb Bouv. He doesn't smell, but has rolled in something and I can not get the smell out. I have given him 2 baths, used baby powder, bake soda, lemon, some herbs, and we are working on the 5th day. I can not stand him under my nose. Any suggestions?

Load More
Pets Dogs GroomingMarch 29, 2012
Laundry Basket Full of Dirty Towels
Cleaning Stinky Towels
Picture of a man holding up stinky shoes.
Remedies for Stinky Shoes
Man Ready to Deal with Stinky Pipes
Remedies for Stinky Pipes
Stinky Feet on Hardwood Floor
Remedies for Stinky Feet
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 21, 2016 at 11:01:08 PM on 10.0.0.143 in 6 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.