Remedies for Stinky Dogs

There are some home remedies you can use to help eliminate doggie odor. This is a guide containing remedies for stinky dogs.

Dog laying on a couch.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Every time I bring my long-haired female Dachshund in from her potty, I use baby wipes for sensitive skin (fragrance and alcohol free) on her bottom and the bottoms of her feet. If she smells a little "doggy", I will wipe her down with one. I rarely bathe my dog, as it dries out their skin, but regularly brush her. She has no odor.

By Luann D.

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My Lab rolls in rotting animals that he finds, while exploring the area. My sense of smell is killing me. How to rid him of this disgusting odor?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Well, it's not so much the smell I would be worried about, but rather the possible vermin, disease, or chemical (if the animal was poisoned) your dog could pick up on its fur and possibly later lick off. Unfortunately unless you are going to figure out a way to keep your pup away from things like that, I'm thinking a bath each time may be the safest bet. Also, call the vet to see if there is something they can recommend to stop the pup from doing it.

Help, I need ideas. I have 2 German Shepherds, and my male German reeks! They get baths every few weeks, brushed every few days, and eat a grain-free high protein food. He's not constantly scratching, and doesn't have an oily coat or skin. The vet said he was healthy on his last visit so I'm lost on why he's so stinky.

The only difference between him and my female is she's 3 and traditional color, he's 7 months and sable, and obviously gender.
    Any ideas for keeping him smelling somewhat fresh would be highly appreciated!

German Shepherd in the snow
      AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have a 12 week old Husky that wets herself while laying, sleeping, and playing. Her coat is drenched with urine and smells bad. I took her to the vet, but they said it's normal. I've never seen a dog wet itself like that. What can I do to clean her coat, because I don't want to wash her everyday. Please help.

By Natasha W.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This is not normal. She probably has a bladder infection. Make sure she see's a new vet and gets on some antibiotics. I have raised huskies for years and never had this problem. The urine can even burn her skin if it goes on. U can wash her with Dawn dish soap which is great for stinky odors.

Read More Answers...

I have two dogs that have been outside dogs for a year. Next week we are moving to our new home and they will be inside dogs once again : ) My two dogs stink, oh so bad! I need help, please!

By Tina A.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If this is the stink that comes back day after bath? The kind your hand smells putrid by a few pats of their had and back? Very specific instructions and cannot use on any collie type or sheepdog let me know and I will send you my phone or you can send me yours. A cure is possible. I did my own under supervision from my old fashioned vet.

Read More Answers...

I have a Pit Bull and he is not potty trained. His paws are really stinky because he steps on the urine after he pees. I really hate the smell of it since he lays with me and my sheets smell like stinky dog. When I shower him the urine won't come off his paws. How can I clean his paws, or what should I buy so I can take the smell and the urine off his paws?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try washing his feet with oatmeal shampoo - or try dissolving a tablespoon of baking soda into some warm water & bathing his feet with a cotton ball soaked in this. Clean gently between his toes as well. Rinse with warm water. Towel dry.

I have tried several products and none of them do the job. I want sound advice as I have spent enough money and none of the products work. I only get temporary results.

By GD from Lynn, MA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Either you're overly sensitive about odors or you need to take your dog to a vet for evaluation. Dogs like humans have their own smell but if your animal is healthy and you clean the house every week it shouldn't be a problem. Does your dog have any sores on it's body, bad teeth & gums, etc.? Take it up with your vet.

Read More Answers...

For Labrador Retrievers, mix one part Listerine with one part water and spray on after bathing to cut down on the Lab smell.

By Susan

I have just gotten a long rough haired Collie who has been outside and I need to have him in the house. I have bathed him in medicated dog shampoo, but he still smells! His white fur has turned a bit, let's say, not white. Can anyone help?

By Julie R

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Our lab got skunked and we tried every old trick in the book. Out of desperation, I finally told my husband I wanted to try our tea tree shampoo. IT WORKED! I bought ours from Cost Cutters (Walmart) but there are tons of brands. I think they may be one of the cheaper ones though. After one wash with the tea tree shampoo, the smell was gone completely!

Read More Answers...

I have an 80 lb Bouv. He doesn't smell, but has rolled in something and I can not get the smell out. I have given him 2 baths, used baby powder, bake soda, lemon, some herbs, and we are working on the 5th day. I can not stand him under my nose. Any suggestions?

By Wendie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would use Dr. Becker's deskunking remedy, which is hydrogen peroxide mixture known as the skunk rinse recipe.

"....Tomato juice isn't nearly as effective as this recipe, and it's easy to follow.

In a pail mix:

1 quart hydrogen peroxide (the 3 percent hydrogen peroxide variety)

¼ cup baking soda

2 teaspoons dishwashing liquid

If you have a large breed dog, you may need to double, triple or even quadruple the mixture.

Wear dishwashing or other household gloves if you like during the whole de-skunking process.

Don't wet down your pet. Apply the mixture to your pet's dry coat from the collar back toward the tail. Don't pour it near the eyes because the hydrogen peroxide solution can burn them.

Lather the mixture into your pet's coat and skin. Rub the solution around for about five minutes or until the skunk smell starts to dissipate.

If the front of your pet is as stinky as the back, use a sponge to apply the solution to your pet's chin, cheeks, forehead and ears, being very careful not to go near the eyes. When you rinse the head area, tilt your pet's chin upward so the solution does not run down into the eyes, instead allow the water to run back off his neck.

Do a complete rinse once the smell starts to decrease, then repeat the entire process again.

You may need to repeat the lather and rinse process up to three times, but it's a very effective method for removing the skunk smell from your pet.

Make sure to completely rinse the solution off your pet. Your final rinse should be very thorough.

You can't prepare this solution ahead of time and store it  it won't be effective when you need it. It must be made fresh, right before you apply it to your pet. So it pays to make sure you have all the ingredients ahead of time!

Good luck  and I hope you never have to use my skunk rinse recipe!...."

http://healthypets.mercola.com/site ... n-tomato-juice-as-a-skunk-rinse.aspx

My dog looks more like a Husky, but may be a Shepherd/Husky mix, with party blue eyes. Yet she has ears like a gremlin, way too big for her head. Cute when they were floppy, now she looks like she will fly away. When alert they stand straight up. Anyway, she sheds 24/7. It looks like I'm cutting her hair, the way it comes out. She stinks even after a bath. What can I do for her? The smell is what I'm asking about. The rest is just for info, if needed. Thank you.

By Kimi T. from Verilion, Oh

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have a husky, when you give them a bath you have to get down to the skin when washing a little viniger is good for there skin and fur bursh before and after bath dry good.

Read More Answers...

I wrote asking for tips and have now cured the 'smelly' dog. I got a second vet's opinion regarding the awful smell my chocolate brown Lab had. The vet diagnosed a yeast infection and prescribed an anti fungal and anti bacterial shampoo. Shampoo twice a week for a month. After one shampoo the awful pervading smell vanished. I will continue and finish the treatment.

By Sylvia

My girl is almost 16 and she "leaks" urine on herself. I cannot bathe her several times a week, and was hoping there is a natural mix of something that I can spray on her backside to neutralize her odor. She is on Proin to help strengthen her bladder sphincter, but she leaks a bit while sleeping. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

By Beth

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Vinegar works well for removing urine odors from carpet and skunk smell from a dog's coat, so it should work well. You can either put some vinegar in a spray bottle to use - or- make your own reusable wipes by putting some old hankies or baby washcloths in a mason jar with a little bit of vinegar (just enough that they are slightly damp).

My mom has an older Bichon Frise. She has her groomed/shampooed every two months, if not more. The dog just cannot seem not to smell after a few days. Is it old age or yeast? Can anyone help?

By EP

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I always wash my dogs behinds every second day - as the urine can dry on the fur as does anything from the rear end.

Read More Answers...

Recently we were at the lake walking around and running my lab dog. A cow pasture was near and he found some cow poop and rolled in it (very fresh) really good. I got home and gave him a good bath outside. Four days later he still smells.
        What can I do about it? He's mostly an inside dog. Please help me.

By Dee

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The old wives tale of a tomato juice rinse is a true one-get the cheapest you can because you're going to need a lot of it. The juice may also stain the dog's coat for a while. Follow this link for more info:

http://dogcare.dailypuppy.com/wash-dog-tomato-juice-1058.html

Another odor neutraliser is baking soda heavily dusted into the dog's coat-be advised this treatment will need to be repeated and the dog will leave puffs of the baking soda behind.

You can also try a vinegar rinse:

http://dogcare.dailypuppy.com/good-homemade-dog-fur-rinse-1796.html

Good luck! I once had a dog who rolled in a heap of rotted fish, P-EEW for several days! It was awful and I ended up using all three of the above deodorisers to get the stench out, lol!

This is a guide about remedy for smelly dog feet. Although your dog may be well, it can have stinky feet for no apparent reason. It can be bothersome.

Smelly Dog Paw

Lotty is a 9 year old yellow lab. The smell is very sweet and cheesy. At first we thought it was coming from her ears. She does not have ear mites and her ears are very clean. She also scratches a lot, but she does not have fleas. Both the ear mites and fleas have been checked by the vet. The vet also gave her an injection for the itching, but this did very little good.

I have given her several baths and the smell if any thing gets stronger. I have changed her food in the last year, as I thought that this may be the cause. So I have now gone back in the last few days to the original food to see if it makes a difference.

The smell is so strong that you can smell her in passing. When she lies down by you, it is so bad it can make you feel sick.

By SYLVIA 111

Answers:

Remedy For a Stinky Dog

You could try Dannon natural yogurt with live cultures. Give a spoonful with each meal. (10/08/2009)

By candacedtsn

Remedy For a Stinky Dog

Hi Sylvia I only wanted to let you know that a few years ago my dog had the same problem. It's not like the ordinary dog type odor, am I right? The smell is strong and lingering. I was so perplexed when my dog Snowy went through the same thing and it lasted for months. I know how frustrated you must be at this point. Maybe adding some brewers yeast tablets to her diet daily. I'm not exactly sure what caused this problem and after a lot of bathing, brushing and diet changes , I began giving her these chewable tablets.

It was a couple of weeks later when I realized that the odor was gone. Anyone that has ever smelled the odor could never forget it! It's worth trying. (10/09/2009)

By myneurotica

Remedy For a Stinky Dog

Also, look at her teeth. If the smell is sickeningly sweet and slightly rotten, she may have some bad teeth problems. She might be scratching because of the pain. (10/11/2009)

By MzWz

Remedy For a Stinky Dog

Have his thyroid level checked. A dog with hypothyroidism can display the symptoms you described. (10/11/2009)

By patches

Remedy For a Stinky Dog

First have Lottie tested for heartworm. Negative? For sure? Give proper poudagedosage from Ivermectin horse paste. Had dogs I could not touch without getting stinky hand. Old fashioned vet taught me this. The dog must be negative heartworm or could be dangerous. Was told there is an organism under skin that is the culprit for the stink. Sure worked on mine within 2 days. (10/11/2009)

By muttmom

Remedy For a Stinky Dog

Oh! I know some folks whose dogs got very sick or died from ivermectin horse wormer! It's not the ivermectin, but rather the carrier agent that can be extremely toxic to dogs--so please be careful before you do that. The injectible ivermectin for dogs is safe, and also the horse wormer Exodus (pyrantel pamoate). If you think you have a parasite problem, a double dose of the pyrantel pamoate is safe and will even kill tapeworms. I do this to my own dogs (and horses and sometimes myself!) and have never even had anyone burp from it.

Once upon a time, we had a dog develop that nasty sweet smell. Turned out she'd had a reaction to a flea collar and her neck was rotting. I'm sure you would have noticed by now if that was the case, but sometime flea and tick preparations can cause reactions.

I totally agree with whomever suggested looking at the teeth. Also, perhaps she has an infection or an abscess somewhere previously undiscovered. Adding garlic and/or oregano oil to her food as an antibiotic may do the trick, followed by a couple of days of dandelion root to cleanse out leftover toxins, followed by probiotics or yogurt. Good luck! (10/11/2009)

By Gina J.

Remedy For a Stinky Dog

Could be diabetes. Please get her checked by a vet. (10/12/2009)

By skinnyjinny

Remedy For a Stinky Dog

Your dog may have a skin fungus. Add a supplement of vitamins A, C, and E for bolstering the immune system and to help with skin health. Then go to the health food store and tell them you need Citrus Seed Extract in a spray form then, rubbing your dog's fur the wrong way so you can spray her skin, spritz her down good, and rub it in. Give this a couple weeks or so to really take effect. TeaTree oil mixed into an "anti itch" doggie shampoo would also help. Good Luck! (10/12/2009)

By Shosha

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Does anyone know some kind of home remedy for a "smelly" dog. What can I do about a stinky dog?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Does anyone know some kind of home remedy for a "smelly" dog! I have a Llaso who smells like a gym locker!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
        Pets Dogs GroomingMarch 29, 2012
        Laundry Basket Full of Dirty Towels
        Cleaning Stinky Towels
        Picture of a man holding up stinky shoes.
        Remedies for Stinky Shoes
        Man Ready to Deal with Stinky Pipes
        Remedies for Stinky Pipes
        Stinky Feet on Hardwood Floor
        Remedies for Stinky Feet
        © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 28, 2016 at 3:14:26 AM on 10.0.2.80 in 803 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.