Remedies for Stinky Dogs

Category Grooming
Dog laying on a couch.
There are some home remedies you can use to help eliminate doggie odor. This is a guide containing remedies for stinky dogs.

Every time I bring my long-haired female Dachshund in from her potty, I use baby wipes for sensitive skin (fragrance and alcohol free) on her bottom and the bottoms of her feet. If she smells a little "doggy", I will wipe her down with one. I rarely bathe my dog, as it dries out their skin, but regularly brush her. She has no odor.

By Luann D.

Baby wipes are great, aren't they? I use them for my Chihuahua too. They are good for a quick wipe off or can be used over the whole body. My dog has dry skin as well, so I don't like to bathe her any more than absolutely necessary.

I too do this - much to the disgust of my dogless friends. I think it's a very hygienic way to keep the dogs clean & odours don't get on the furniture & carpet.

I think this is a fabulous idea. I even use on my big boy! He's wolf/blue heeler, but sometimes gets the "doggy scent" and this just keeps him smelling fresh! He really likes the added attention, too! I also use a dryer sheet before taking him out... helps keep mosquitos & other annoying bugs off of him! :)

I wrote asking for tips and have now cured the 'smelly' dog. I got a second vet's opinion regarding the awful smell my chocolate brown Lab had. The vet diagnosed a yeast infection and prescribed an anti fungal and anti bacterial shampoo. Shampoo twice a week for a month. After one shampoo the awful pervading smell vanished. I will continue and finish the treatment.

By Sylvia

Have you ever heard of a tomato juice bath? we hear of people here in Missouri & their pets who get "skunked" (sprayed by a skunk) & they have always said bathe afterward in tomato juice. I have never had to do this.So, I do not know. (relating rumor)

For Labrador Retrievers, mix one part Listerine with one part water and spray on after bathing to cut down on the Lab smell.

By Susan

oh i have to try this one,i'm glad its not just us!!!haha .i tried vinegar in the soap last time and it helped a bit.thanks!!

I've never had Labs, but had two mini long haired Doxies. One lived to be 19 1/2 years and the other 16 years. I used Flex shampoo and conditioner and they smelled wonderful, and their coats were soft and silky. No tangles. GG Vi

Mosquitoes don't like listerine is an added bonus. I'll have to try list after her broken leg heals :( and she can take a bath.

I have (2) yellow labs that are inside girls. I do not have a problem with them smelling, just shedding.

I rescue senior Golden retrievers. I use the rubber shelf lining by the roll or old bathmats that go in the tub as backing for the rugs. In our house it is said our rugs have rugs. LOL

This is a guide about remedy for smelly dog feet. Although your dog may be well, it can have stinky feet for no apparent reason. It can be bothersome.

Smelly Dog Paw

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I have two dogs that have been outside dogs for a year. Next week we are moving to our new home and they will be inside dogs once again : ) My two dogs stink, oh so bad! I need help, please!

By Tina A.

Answer Was this helpful? 3

That is my dog.. I have a Blue Nose Pitbull and she is 11 months. When I give her a bath she is okay but the next day the smell is back.. I don't know what to do...She also scratches a lot.. And she is a in house dog.. I need help please...

We always wash our 2 outside dogs in Dawn liquid dishwashing soap! It's safe & effective & they smell great afterwards... at least until they find a mud pile! My bestfriend washes her 5 dogs in Dawn as well & they are all inside dogs! It also helps kill fleas & anything else that your dogs may "pick up" outside!

If this is the stink that comes back day after bath? The kind your hand smells putrid by a few pats of their had and back? Very specific instructions and cannot use on any collie type or sheepdog let me know and I will send you my phone or you can send me yours. A cure is possible. I did my own under supervision from my old fashioned vet.

My Lab rolls in rotting animals that he finds, while exploring the area. My sense of smell is killing me. How to rid him of this disgusting odor?

Anonymous
Best Answer

Give your dog a bath by wetting the hair lather with lots of Dawn dish washing liquid. Then use baking soda to coat the hair completely. Next pour vinegar all over the hair. This neutralizes odors. Let sit for 5 min while massaging it in, and rinse. Follow with shampoo. This also works great on skunk spray! Your dog will b odor free!!

Best Answer

Well, it's not so much the smell I would be worried about, but rather the possible vermin, disease, or chemical (if the animal was poisoned) your dog could pick up on its fur and possibly later lick off. Unfortunately unless you are going to figure out a way to keep your pup away from things like that, I'm thinking a bath each time may be the safest bet. Also, call the vet to see if there is something they can recommend to stop the pup from doing it.

I have tried several products and none of them do the job. I want sound advice as I have spent enough money and none of the products work. I only get temporary results.

By GD from Lynn, MA

Answer Was this helpful? 1

What kind of dog do you have? Is it indoor or outdoor? And what products have you been using?

Diet & infection.

Dogs tend to smell more or less depending on what they eat. Raw fed dogs tend to smell less most often as they are eating their proper diet and thus aren't having body chemistry balance issues.

Infection can be bacterial or yeast/fungal. Diet can exacerbate it, but can also be because of breed, environment or simply just exposure that took root. Check for rash, hives, pimples or sores on the dog's skin. That would be everywhere, underside, ears, back etc.

Dogs have a natural odor. When you bath them, it's back in a day or two. They are not going to smell "fresh" very long. If you are expecting it /them to smell like a person who is clean, it won't happen. Actually people have a natural odor themselves after a day or two of not bathing, and I am referring to an oil smell and not B.O. I don't know how bad this odor is, but if it is bad, then maybe something is wrong with the dog (internally) or the dog is getting into something or sitting or sleeping on something smelly which is causing the odor.

After washing your dog, rinse with a 3:1 solution of water [3] and vinegar[1]. The vinegar smell will only be temporary [depending on the size of your dog] but it's coat will be beautifully soft and squeaky clean. Vinegar is antiseptic and antibiotic, your dog's skin will benefit as well. Zinc is also a remedy for doggie's bad breath.

Maybe the anal glands need to be emptied. It is common for them to still smell after a bath when this is needed. If you don't know how, you can look it up on the computer or have a dog groomer or the vet do it.

Either you're overly sensitive about odors or you need to take your dog to a vet for evaluation. Dogs like humans have their own smell but if your animal is healthy and you clean the house every week it shouldn't be a problem. Does your dog have any sores on it's body, bad teeth & gums, etc.? Take it up with your vet.

I have a 12 week old Husky that wets herself while laying, sleeping, and playing. Her coat is drenched with urine and smells bad. I took her to the vet, but they said it's normal. I've never seen a dog wet itself like that. What can I do to clean her coat, because I don't want to wash her everyday. Please help.

By Natasha W.

Answer Was this helpful? 2

I have a 7 year old Pit Bull. He has a terrible odor coming from his skin. We bathe him often and have tried so many different soaps. He confines himself in small areas and cries all day. He constantly is itching and biting until he bleeds. Do you recommend a special soap we could try or do you think this could possibly be allergies? Help please!

I have an 80 lb Bouv. He doesn't smell, but has rolled in something and I can not get the smell out. I have given him 2 baths, used baby powder, bake soda, lemon, some herbs, and we are working on the 5th day. I can not stand him under my nose. Any suggestions?

By Wendie

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I have just gotten a long rough haired Collie who has been outside and I need to have him in the house. I have bathed him in medicated dog shampoo, but he still smells! His white fur has turned a bit, let's say, not white. Can anyone help?

By Julie R

A vinegar rinse will deodorise and remove the discolouration from white fur. You can apply it full strength, or mixed half-half with water. No matter what strength you chose to apply, don't rinse, just pat him dry after you've got all his fur sopping wet-the strong vinegar odor will fade to nothing quickly taking the yellow and the other odor with it.

Stand the dog in the bathtub to contain him, and use a separate bowl for the vinegar or vinegar and water. Before applying (with a drenched sponge) be sure the dog has no patches of broken skin or you will have an extremely unhappy dog.

Works a treat, I've used it to remove skunk and other really awful 'fragrances' dogs seem to make a beeline for.

You could always take him to a groomer just this one time to get him professionally cleaned, then bathe him at home after that. Don't be afraid to ask for tips to keep him smelling fresh and keep his fur pretty.

Our lab got skunked and we tried every old trick in the book. Out of desperation, I finally told my husband I wanted to try our tea tree shampoo. IT WORKED! I bought ours from Cost Cutters (Walmart) but there are tons of brands. I think they may be one of the cheaper ones though. After one wash with the tea tree shampoo, the smell was gone completely!

I have an 8 year old Westie. Not long ago he started having an odor 5 minutes after a bath and now his skin has black areas on it. I was told by my vet to give him fish oil 3 months ago and it would clear up. Both have gotten worse and all he does is chew and now he has bald spots on his legs. I'm worried.

My dog looks more like a Husky, but may be a Shepherd/Husky mix, with party blue eyes. Yet she has ears like a gremlin, way too big for her head. Cute when they were floppy, now she looks like she will fly away. When alert they stand straight up. Anyway, she sheds 24/7. It looks like I'm cutting her hair, the way it comes out. She stinks even after a bath. What can I do for her? The smell is what I'm asking about. The rest is just for info, if needed. Thank you.

By Kimi T. from Verilion, Oh

Well, I have a Skye Terrier (2, mother and daughter). 'Mother' smelled bad the other day even after a bath, so I sprayed her with vinegar (I use vinegar in a spray bottle for cleaning and other things). She smelled a bit like vinegar, but I'd rather smell that than the stinky greasy dog smell. You may not want to try it, but actually, I think the vinegar smell pretty much goes away, as I also use it as a rinse on my hair and no one has ever said anything about the way my hair smells.

When my dogs start doing this, it usually means they need to have their anal glands drained. You can get this done either at the Vet's or from a dog groomer. You can also have them show you how and you can do it yourself.

My mom has an older Bichon Frise. She has her groomed/shampooed every two months, if not more. The dog just cannot seem not to smell after a few days. Is it old age or yeast? Can anyone help?

By EP

I have a Pit Bull and he is not potty trained. His paws are really stinky because he steps on the urine after he pees. I really hate the smell of it since he lays with me and my sheets smell like stinky dog. When I shower him the urine won't come off his paws. How can I clean his paws, or what should I buy so I can take the smell and the urine off his paws?

My girl is almost 16 and she "leaks" urine on herself. I cannot bathe her several times a week, and was hoping there is a natural mix of something that I can spray on her backside to neutralize her odor. She is on Proin to help strengthen her bladder sphincter, but she leaks a bit while sleeping. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

By Beth

Recently we were at the lake walking around and running my lab dog. A cow pasture was near and he found some cow poop and rolled in it (very fresh) really good. I got home and gave him a good bath outside. Four days later he still smells.
What can I do about it? He's mostly an inside dog. Please help me.

By Dee

The old wives tale of a tomato juice rinse is a true one-get the cheapest you can because you're going to need a lot of it. The juice may also stain the dog's coat for a while. Follow this link for more info:

http://dogcare.  -juice-1058.html

Another odor neutraliser is baking soda heavily dusted into the dog's coat-be advised this treatment will need to be repeated and the dog will leave puffs of the baking soda behind.

You can also try a vinegar rinse:

http://dogcare.  -rinse-1796.html

Good luck! I once had a dog who rolled in a heap of rotted fish, P-EEW for several days! It was awful and I ended up using all three of the above deodorisers to get the stench out, lol!

Help, I need ideas. I have 2 German Shepherds, and my male German reeks! They get baths every few weeks, brushed every few days, and eat a grain-free high protein food. He's not constantly scratching, and doesn't have an oily coat or skin. The vet said he was healthy on his last visit so I'm lost on why he's so stinky.

The only difference between him and my female is she's 3 and traditional color, he's 7 months and sable, and obviously gender.
Any ideas for keeping him smelling somewhat fresh would be highly appreciated!

My dog has been in the dog pound for 2 months and has come back stinking of urine and is very thin. How can I get rid of the smell?

By Elaine

I adopted a Border Collie mix a couple weeks ago, and this morning she got out of our yard and came back from the woods smelling like a dead fish. I tried washing her with regular dog shampoo from the pet store, but she still smells just as bad. Anyone have a solution?
She has long, somewhat kinky hair. Also anyone have tips for a dog who hates baths?

By C R

She smells a day or two after we bath her.

By Tau

Does anyone know some kind of home remedy for a "smelly" dog! I have a Llaso who smells like a gym locker! I can give her a bath and less than a week later she smells. I didn't think it was good to give dogs that many baths but I don't have a choice.

Thank you,

Susan from Conn.

Answers:

Remedy For a Stinky Dog

My Lhasa has B.O. too! Try rubbing some baby powder into her fur then brushing it out. (01/10/2005)

By lindal

Remedy For a Stinky Dog

I just read that the best way to clean a dog after skunk spray is to use female douche (any scent) I don't see why this wouldn't work for your dog. Best to find out if it isn't medical though. Hope it works, I haven't had to try it yet.
Debbie from Manitoba, Canada (01/11/2005)

By Debbie

Remedy For a Stinky Dog

Before you decide to try all sorts of fancy shampoos, bring your dog to the vet. Your dog may have allergies that are causing its skin to produce extra oil. Just because your dog's skin and coat look healthy does not mean that it is. (01/11/2005)

Remedy For a Stinky Dog

Smelly Dog - Vinegar Rinse for Smelly Dog Syndrome

* Bathe dog well in a good dog shampoo
* Rinse thoroughly, get all the soap out
* Mix 1/2 cup of white vinegar to a gallon of water, wet the dog well with this potion and leave on for 10 minutes.
* Rinse dog well.
* This last step is optional: Use a good show rinse of the type you leave in the coat and towel dry the dog.

From: http://bullmastiffinfo.tripod.com/vinegar.html (01/11/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Remedy For a Stinky Dog

My neighbor's old dog always had a foul odor. She constantly bathed him with no lasting results. She took him to the vet and found out that he had a bad tooth. It was extracted and the odor was gone. Apparently when he would on occasion lick himself which would leave the odor on his fur. And like all dogs do, pant when excited which was very offensive. Everyone and her loving pet was happy with the results. (01/11/2005)

By mkymlp

Remedy For a Stinky Dog

I've also read you can wipe them down with a dryer sheet if they are damp to make them smell good, might just dampen the sheet if the dog is dry. (01/30/2005)

By Jeanie

Remedy For a Stinky Dog

I too have a Lhasa who I bathe more often than my other breeds. The odor that comes from a Lhasa is usually due to the eye discharge and/or ear infections. Lhasa's have two different layers of fur and they are thick from end to end including the inside of their ears. They are very prone to yeast and other ear infections which give off foul odors. She visits the groomer on regularly and is kept trimmed short. Keeping her eyes and ears clean between grooming will help to eliminate most of their odors. (02/22/2005)

By Rhonnie

Remedy For a Stinky Dog

I have 2 Lhasa Apso's and I am an RN. One of mine developed a smell (the female) I took her to the vet and she had a fungus growing in her ear. He gave me a rinse solution 1 part alcohol to 1 part vinegar to 1 part hydrogen peroxide. It helps clean out the ears. You do it daily until she is better then just weekly. I have to irrigate my females ears with the sprayer also. No problem with my male. Lhaso's also infamously have eye discharge. It is important to wash them frequently. Also my breeder told me to use glass drinking bowls for them. For some reason this cuts down on the eye stains. My daughter uses baby wipes on them after they eat because of their hair, the food can smell. They require a weekly bath anyway because of their fur. I have raised them for years. They are very loving sweet dogs, but they are also a lot of work,but well worth it. Hope this helps. (03/19/2005)

By Janet

Remedy For a Stinky Dog

My little princess is also a Lhasa Apso. When I discovered a funky smell it turned out to be an ear infection. I definitely agree with the people who said the vet should be the first stop in figuring out why your dog stinks. If it is something like an ear infection it is very important to have it taken care of right away. I don't recommend masking this, but if it is your dog's coat and skin that stinks you could use powder shampoo and/or pet cologne in the meantime. Just don't forget that it could be something serious and get your sweetie to the vet! :D Good luck! (03/25/2005)

By Bijou

Remedy For a Stinky Dog

I have a lab. I think they just get smelly as they age. Here are two things I do that help. I brush her a lot. I don't pour fabric softener on her, as someone mentioned. I'd be afraid of how irritating that could be to her skin. But I do launder her bedding regularly and use scented fabric softener sheets. It rubs of on her and she smells quite lovely for a couple of days. (07/28/2005)

By Sophie

Remedy For a Stinky Dog

If teeth, ears, or impacted anal glands aren't the problem, she may just be musky, and the following might work for you. I have a Jack Russell who is musky and also in the lovely habit of consistently finding something absolutely horrid (dead, rancid, etc) to roll in. Baths were pretty much a waste of time until I started using dish soap for sensitive skin and adding a splash of white vinegar. I usually "rinse and repeat," and though I can't smell the vinegar when she is done, the acidic quality seems to cut, not mask, the foul order. This is probably the secret behind using a douche, as well, but is less expensive. You can add a spoonful of baking soda if that still isn't at least giving you some relief. I also cover my dog's pillow with a plastic bag and then put a washable cover over that, so her general scent doesn't permeate into the stuffing and re-contaminate her. (09/13/2005)

By Ruby

Remedy For a Stinky Dog

The reason for smelly dog syndrome is simple. Commercial bagged dry dog foods.

The carbohydrate content, the additives and preservatives, the colors and fillers aren't made for a canines carnivorous digestive system. Even the really good brands have as the main ingredient, grains. This is the reason for SMELLY DOG.

The absolute best diet for a dog is RAW MEATY BONES. Chicken, fish, pork, beef, whatever you can get a hold of. I tried it and it simply works. Plus it rids the animal of most rashes and allergies. Google "the RAW diet for canines", "Raw meaty bones" and take it from the people who know. I started using the raw meat diet, and NO MORE SMELLY BULL DOG!

Did you know that Vets rarely get good education at Vet school about canine diet? Did you know that most Vets are trained, at school, by reps from the dog food companies?
Something to think about. (10/23/2005)

By samurai_soul

Remedy For a Stinky Dog

I adopted my Lhasa (Hootie, with the stinky bootie, lovingly nick named at my house) from distant relatives after his mommy passed from breast cancer and her husband couldn't stand the constant smell and grooming this little guy requires. The statement was made if no one wanted him, he would put him to sleep. I instantly insisted that my spoiled Pekingese ASHLEY make room for another set of paws around our house. Hootie is called a clean freak as he licks all the time and stays stinky. Even hours after a bath, the smell is quick to return. He has no ear issues and a healthy coat so my search for a cure goes on. I plan to try some of the remedy ideas I have read here tonight. My tip is for the "zero" odor spray . I feel it does a pretty good job of removing odor from the doggie beds but must be repeated more often then I would have expected. (01/09/2006)

By TESSA AROUND VIRGINIA

Remedy For a Stinky Dog

My husband had an English Bulldog that was allergic to the carpet, and had to have steroid treatment. I would try a food change for bowels, but gradual of course. Maybe switch to canned... Tyrell's is a great all natural food, and helped clear up my dog's dryness (just needed extra oils). In the meantime for scent and itchiness, maybe try some Tea Tree oil, 1-2 Tbls mixed with 8 oz water, and spray on to deodorize and help soothe skin. (03/09/2006)

By camo_angels

Remedy For a Stinky Dog

I have a chow-pom mix dog and he smelled so bad, no one would even pet him. So after reading and trying just about everything... I finally bathed my dog in I cup of vinegar and 1 cup of Joy dish soap. I probably should have used unscented Joy but I used orange scent instead. After I bathed him real well and rinsed him, I took another cup of vinegar and 1 gallon of water and I poured that over him. I waited for about 5 minutes and then I rinsed that out and no more smelly dog. It is cheap and it actually works... at least it did for my stinky dog. You could also see that it cleaned my dog much better than a lot of the pet shampoos on the market. I was quite amazed with how clean he was. Hopefully this will help for other readers that have dogs that smell horrible. (04/17/2006)

By Queenie

Remedy For a Stinky Dog

When you are at home, a bath and hair conditioner can help your pet to smell better. When a male dog goes outside and smells another dog has been in his area, his maleness odor comes out to mark his area. When I go on trips, I take fabric softener sheets with me. You can wipe your dog down and it will remove the bad odor and he smells great again. It also makes his fur soft. This is a wonderful item to keep handy when your dog will be around people, or even just yourself. Try it, you will be glad you did. I like the smell of Snuggles fabric softener sheets, the best. (04/23/2006)

By virgo@earthlink.net

Lotty is a 9 year old yellow lab. The smell is very sweet and cheesy. At first we thought it was coming from her ears. She does not have ear mites and her ears are very clean.

Does anyone know some kind of home remedy for a "smelly" dog. What can I do about a stinky dog?