Alphabet Theme Room

Category Kids Space
Choosing the alphabet as a theme for a young child's room allows for a wide variety of decorating ideas. This is a guide about alphabet theme room.

I need help in decorating a new baby's room with an alphabetical theme. I can make lots of things and sew but need some inspiration.

Thanks,
Jeanne in FL

Answers

I'm an aspiring artist at heart (I freelance in my "spare time") and a mother of four in "real-life" -- fortunately for me, four kids gives me quite a canvas for trying new theme room ideas. Here are just a few ideas off the top of my head. Best of luck to you! I'm sure it will be a really fun project.

* Storybook/Nursery Rhyme Characters (create a one-wall mural featuring a character or element representing each letter -- you don't even need to use letters, just a incorporate all of your characters into a beautiful piece of artwork as representation).
* Animals
* Sports
* Folk Art/Whimsey - could be as rustic or refined as you like (very easy do-it-yourself). Create 3D wall hangings with canvas or scraps of fabric, wire, wood, buttons, whatever your heart desires...
* Mod/Artistic - on a prominent wall layer letters in varying fonts, sizes and graduated colors/tones (I can add a sketch it if you need an image). Feature specific letters to spell child's name or inspirational message (Dream, Love, Wish, Hope, etc.).
* Antique - shop antique stores, resale shops, arts & crafts stores or specialty shops for 3D letters (wood cut-outs, metal scroll work, parts of old signs, etc.). In place of a border around the room, hang your letter finds. Creates sort of a shabby-chic feel - could tie-in nicely with delicate calicos and garden prints for a girl or very rustic/revived traditional elements for a boy. (Keep lead paint in mind with true antique pieces -- you can very easily recreate the look with a fresh coat of paint and faux finish).

Good luck & Enjoy!

If you can find a teaching supply store you could purchase the alphabet borders teacher's use in their classrooms. That would be very cute. You might also want to paint wooden letters spelling your baby's name.

How about making an alphabet quilt. Applique letters cut from contrasting fabric onto squares using a satin or close zig-zag stitch and then sew them in to a crib sized quilt. Might make a cherished keepsake too!

Good luck with your new little one!
Denise McCall
our system does 95-100% of the work for you!
www.automaticbuilder.com/kyss

My daughter did something similar, using alphabet and numbers. One thing she did that I really liked was that she purchased three wooden letters (A, B, C) and three wooden numbers (1, 2, 3). She used the primary colors of red, yellow, and blue and painted each one a solid color. She created a border near the top of the wall by using tape to mask out a diamond pattern, and painted each diamond one of the primary colors. She hung the letters and numbers so that they were kind of tilted, like a kid would have written them. She used the colors on picture frames for prints she had chosen also, to bring out the theme a bit more.

I hope you'll get a spark or two of an idea from this. Best wishes for your new little one!