Altering a Comforter

Category Bedroom
brightly colored comforter and matching pillow
You have found the perfect comforter; well it is almost perfect. This is a guide about altering a comforter.

My comforter is too narrow, so the mattress shows. Pulling it down on one side puts the other side up on top of the bed. I thought about just getting something longer and letting it hang down on the sides under the comforter. Any other ideas?

By Gingi from IA

What size is the bed? If any size smaller than king, get a coordinating flat sheet on/two sizes larger, and center the comforter on it, aligned at the top. If you sew, you can attach it all the way around. Or just do this each time you make the bed. If you have a king size bed, you could cut strips from a king flat sheet, and sew to the sides and bottom of the comforter.

You could buy or make a bed skirt to go around the bottom mattress and add lace border or batiste fabric to the comforter or gather material and sew to edge the comforter adding length.

If you can sew, buy fabric that blends with the comforter and sew a ruffle around 3 sides.

I bought a comforter set from Mervyn's and the comforter is too short, so I have about 10" showing. I can't return it because I washed the sheet's. I put the short end under the pillow shams, so maybe it won't be quite so noticeable, but really it still show's. Any ideas?

Susie from Oklahoma

The "thing" nowdays is to fold the comforter down with the top sheet showing, sort of as if the bed were turned down to get back into.Still use the Shams and if you have matching throw pillows put them on.I wonder if this trend came about because so many comforters are made short when they are bought. Another pretty thing I've seen is a wicker tray with a fancy little tea set sitting on the bed.

Anonymous

If you sew, you could add a fabric header or top to the comforter which would go under the shams and co-ordinate with the comforter. You could also lay an afghan down at the top of the comforter in front of or under the shams. Another option is to fold the flat sheet top edge over the comforter, as seen in many displays of bedding. It is quite lovely done this way. Please see the display here:

http://tinyurl.com/7hcwk

Maryanne

http://www.teapotcottage.com

Why not get some material that doesn't need the edges folded over, (felt etc.) cut it to "added" length needed & "glue" that new piece to the end of the comforter, that you will put "under" the pillow shams.

In the winter, just put the "warm" end at your feet, for added warmth!

This is Loca Lee, our dashaud.shepard mix! She's as wierd as her mix! We got her at the F.A.I.R. animal adoption, that goes into "dog" stores on weekends, so people can adopt right there! Makes it easier for some.

She's 4 now & "loves" this pillow! She just can't figure out why everyone "laughs" when they look at her.....

I have this problem a lot because my mattress is extra thick and the comforter does not lay right. I have a dust ruffle on the bottom of the bed, then I simply turn the comforter side to side instead of up and down. This makes it fit the top and it is only a little shorter on the sides. Hope this idea helps.

Anonymous

I did this for my bedroom and will do it again when I change comforters...I bought 3 comforters (on sale for a total of $45 and used one comforter as it was supposed to be (on the bed); and then I cut the bottom 1/3 off another one and hand stitched the cut edges of both. (could machine stitch) and pulled that one over the pillows (my comforters had a ruffled edge and it brought a ruffle up at the pillow. The hand sewn edge at the headboard. The other piece left over was used as an extra blanket to go under the comforter for extra warmth (we live in the Northeast where it is cold). The last comforter was used as follows: I cut the bottom end off and put wide bias tape on the back and used as a valance on my double window. (I have a king size comforter) and the rest was used as an extra blanket. Could be used as curtains if needed. I really love the look. Maybe this will at least give you some ideas. You have the shams; so maybe you could still use them as shams or bureau coverings.

I think you should consider trying to return the bedding to the store. If the product does not do what is is advertised to do, such as fit a certain size bed, then the store ought to give you a refund, whether the bedding is washed or unwashed.

Thank you for all the wonderful idea's. I definitely found some answer's. I love the picture of Loca Lee. I have two dachshund's and a dachshund mix that moved in last week - homeless, the best I can determine - he dug under our fence to get in our yard, apparently choosing us as his new family. Since we live near a lot of wood's, he was probably dumped, since no one is claiming him. Again, thank you all. Susie

Need suggestions for securely attaching a comforter to the interior of a duvet that will not ruin the comforter!

Thanks!

Holly from Richardson, TX

I used a needle and thread to sew the 2 bottom corners and 1 in the middle (turn the duvet inside out first) it is easier to do it if there are 2 people.......good luck

I use to use 4 big safety pins and pin it at the corners. Or you could take a tapestry needle and go thru all the layers in the corners with a piece of yarn and tie it like a tied comforter/quilt. You can remove the yarn when you launder it.

I stitched lengths of ribbon to the inside corners of the duvet. I tie them securely around the corners of my comforter and it holds them in place. Just be sure the ribbon is a neutral color and/or machine washable so the ribbon color does not run and stain your cover.

Bed, Bath & Beyond and similar stores sell special clips for this purpose, they're about $4 with a 20% off coupon. They work fine as long as you don't snuggle too much with the corners of the duvet.

Sew large buttons at each corner of the comforter. Then on the inside of the duvet, attach elastic cord to slip over the buttons. Sometimes it is easier to make the cord a bit longer and just tie the loop for the buttom. Easy on/off for laundering

Here's how Marriott does it:

Sew the ends of two short strips (4") of hook/loop tape facing each other to each corner of the inside seam of the duvet cover. Add one more set at the middle of the top and bottom seams for a king size.

Then sew a loop of double-folded seam tape to the comforter in the matching positions.

Attach the hook/loop tape together through the comforter loops.

I have bought a new duvet, 13.5 tog, but it's far too warm for me and the heat is waking me up at night. I can't return it or afford to buy another. If I was to carefully take out some of the filling I'm sure this would make it cooler ie. reduce the tog rating. Do you think it would work? Does anyone have any experience of doing it?