Ants in Hummingbird Feeder

Is there a way to keep ants out of the hummingbird feeder? Is there an ant-proof feeder?

Thank you.

By Kathy

It is called an oil cup and hangs between the feeder and the hook. Most stores that have hummer feeders have them. If you live somewhere where it rains, get a one that has a roof over it. My husband made one out of a toilet float by cutting it in half and using one half as the oil cup and the other half as a roof. Put motor oil in the oil cup and the ants cannot cross it. The roof should be far enough from the oil cup that the ants cannot bypass the oil cup and the oil.

Oh my, please please don't do this. The cup is used for water. It is called an ant moat. Please NO VASELINE. Please please do not spray your feeders with Pam spray. Don't put any oils, Vicks Vapor Rub, Pam Cooking Spray, Duct Tape, Off, Skin-so-soft, or Vaseline on your hummingbird feeder. These may work slightly. However, hummingbirds have a tendency to fly around frantically and bump into feeders quite often.

They also land on shepards hooks and if there is oily stuff or duct tape on the feeder, it can get into the feathers. The hummingbirds will have a hard time getting it off and it's not all that good for them. They can't get it off their feathers and it will lead to hypothermia and death. Plus, most of these items will melt in the heat making goo run all over the place. Please don't use these items.

I had some old ant guards and turned them upside down. I siliconed the flat round part to the plastic hook on the outside. after drying, I turned it so it looked like a cup and filled the inside with vinegar, then hung the hummingbird feeder from that. I am now waiting to see how it works. Thinking I got the plan!!!!

Simply put a 'gob' of vaseline on the hangar, wire, or whatever you are hanging the feeder with. Cover it several inches, leaving no side undone. Ants will not cross through the vaseline. When it gets gunky, wipe it off and replace with new vaseline. Works like a charm!

Using Vaseline at the hanger & on the top works perfectly. It's easy to wipe clean & reapply. And inexpensive.

Best Answer

Please NO VASELINE. Please please do not spray your feeders with Pam spray. Don't put any oils, Vicks Vapor Rub, Pam Cooking Spray, Duct Tape, Off, Skin-so-soft, or Vaseline on your hummingbird feeder. These may work slightly. However, hummingbirds have a tendency to fly around frantically and bump into feeders quite often. They also land on shepards hooks and if there is oily stuff or duct tape on the feeder, it can get into the feathers.

The hummingbirds will have a hard time getting it off and it's not all that good for them. They can't get it off their feathers and it will lead to hypothermia and death. Plus, most of these items will melt in the heat making goo run all over the place. Please don't use these items. Hummingbird land not only on the feeder, but on the wires and hooks. Please reconsider.

Go to "Wild Birds Unlimited" store or on line and they have ant moats you fill with water and the feeder hangs below it. I have had great success with this. I tried the petroleum jelly but it was messy in the hot weather and did no good. The ant moats are the answer.

I have made an ant moat from a hairspray cap and wire and where I inserted the wire, I used a caulk to seal the hole. If you can look at one at "Wild Birds Unlimited", you can go home and make one. They were like $8 and you can make one much cheaper than that.

I found a small round thing at Lowe's just the other day that is specifically to keep and it. It w was just a few bucks!

I use double sided tape at the base of the Shepard hook. The ants sense it's at their peril to cross it.