Applying for Social Security Benefits for Child of Deceased Father?

My son was born in January of last year. His father and I were not married and his dad lived in a different state. My son was born on a weekend and although his dad was there, nobody was there put him on the birth certificate. He never made it back down before he died in April. So my question is will the state of Tennessee help me get him on the birth certificate so that I can apply for the benefits?

By Becca J

Go to you local Social Security Office and see what they can recommend. That would be the first step.

The birth certificate information should have been taken care of as soon as your son was born. Most hospitals have you fill out paperwork right away with both parents names on it, and the doctor signs it, and sends it on to the state. The paper work is usually done within just a few hours, and no longer than one day later after the birth.

First thing is you will need to get DNA. Once you have those results the rest is easy!

There was recently a case where a soldier had died and the Mother wanted to collect for her children but they had never been married but he was the Father. The Social Security rule said if paternity isnt established before death , benefits will not be paid. Call Social Security and they will know the rules. This was reported on an online site, so it may not be true. GL

Phone the National Toll Free Number for Social Security Administration to determine your rights.

Business and Legal Legal General AdviceMarch 26, 2013
😷
📓
🐛
😎
🌻
Generated 2020-07-22 08:40:46 in 927 msecs. ⛅️️
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Applying-for-Social-Security-Benefits-for-Child-of-Deceased-Father.html