Are My Spoons Pure Silver?

I have to spoons that might be pure silver. How can I tell?

Real sterling CAN BE (but is NOT always) marked. There are numerous types of markings with those below just the ones that come to the top of my brain:

The word STERLING
The numbers 925 OR 95 or 825 or 725 (or numbers and letters like M95)

Sometimes there are symbols (usually 2 or more) then you have to find a site to translate those into the maker and the silver content

A magnet WILL NOT stick to it

Some people say it "tastes sweet" but that has a big ick factor for me (I would never lick sterling pieces to tell...and I have found that technique to be totally NOT reliable).

Some say they can smell silver vs. not (it smells bitter) again, totally unreliable.

When I am in doubt, I take my things that I am unsure of to Treasure Hunt (they are a chain...not sure if national, but there are a bunch in Pittsburgh.

They have a machine that tells them right away if the item is not marked what metal it is composed of. They do this for free and usually offer VERY FAIR market values for pieces.

You can buy acid testing kits (but they are expensive) and can damage your item.

If you post a picture of the back of the item I can see if I can give you more info.

There can be markings saying STER, STERLING , or 925. Sterling also doesnt stick to a magnet and has a sweet taste.

Anonymous

Hi,

I would take them to a pawn shop and ask them if they could test the spoons. I would do the magnet test, as others have mentioned, and also look for the markings on the spoons.

Blessings,

Robyn

there should be markings say what it is