Baby Shower Food Ideas

Category Food
Light snacks, sandwiches, and sweets are typical fare at a baby shower. This is a guide about baby shower food ideas.

This is a guide about making doo doo drop diapers. These funky, chocolatey oatmeal treats are perfect for a baby shower when tucked into napkin diapers.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 2

This is a guide about making a fruit bowl baby carriage. Use a watermelon and other fruits to make these clever baby shower centerpiece.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 1

This guide is about making a gender reveal cake. An entertaining way to share whether you are having a boy or a girl is in a cake.

This page contains baby shower punch recipes. A fun punch and bowl decoration can be made for a special party.

This is a guide about baby shower cake ideas. The cake is the centerpiece of a baby shower.

I prepared a fruit tray for my daughter-in-law's baby shower. I made a watermelon baby carriage; embellished the tray with my son's Charlie Brown character, flowers and greenery.

I used cantaloupe balls, strawberries, kiwi, grapes, fresh pineapple, peaches and blueberries.

I am looking for a really cool menu for a baby shower in August.

By judy saunders from Ancaster, ON

Answers

Well, I don't know about there, but it's hot here in Texas. So I'd suggest finger foods, chips and dips, mini sandwiches, veggie tray. Here's an idea. How about making a baby carriage watermelon? Design and cut the watermelon to look like a baby carriage and use something on the side, at the bottom for wheels (maybe large slices of eggplant?).

Cut out the watermelon inside and then make watermelon balls (and maybe honeydew, cantaloupe as well) and add back to the inside with some nice fresh mint. Colored punch to match the babies sex is nice also, if you know the sex, which people generally do now. Just add food color.

When I had my daughters Baby shower in the summer I had a salad buffet, with assorted salads, chicken, ham , pasta and some vegie types too. Then dessert was an ice cream bar. The idea went over well and the prep was very easy as most everything was done ahead of time and the ice cream bar was almost a "do nothing "

Can anyone suggest any simple foods and appetizers for a baby shower? Thank You.

Patricia from Los Angeles, CA

Answers

By Betsy (Guest Post)

Chicken Salad is always a hit. I will share my 2 favorite recipes. These are good served with ritz or club style crackers (I buy the generic type). Fresh Fruit so many are in season now and a fruit dip. Vegetables and Dips.

Honey Dijon Chicken Salad:
6 boneless skinless chicken breasts, poached and chopped fine or 1 whole chicken poached, skinned and deboned. (I run this through the food processor for a fine chop)
1/2 cup finely chopped onion (food processor)
1/2 cup finely chopped celery (food processor)
1/2 cup finely chopped pecan (food processor)
1 cup mayonnaise (I use Fat free)
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon honey

Mix all ingredients together and refrigerate several hours or overnight to allow the flavors to blend.

Buffalo Chicken Salad
1/2 cup finely chopped red onion (food processor)
3/4 cup mayonnaise (I use Fat free)
1/4 cup Ranch Dressing (I use Fat free)

2 tablespoons Hot Sauce (more or less to taste)
1/4 - 1/2 C. Blue Cheese (I use Reduced Fat)

Creamy Fruit Dip
1 32oz Tub Fat Free Plain Yogurt
1 box Sugar Free White Chocolate Pudding mix

Mix together and refrigerate. This is great will all types of fruits (Pineapple, apples, pears, grapes, strawberries, melon, etc.)

I hope this helps!

By KJ (Guest Post)

If it's at 1 pm, lunch is over. I'm guessing you'll be having cake/punch - so you won't need a lot of heavy foods. Plan to serve finger food, like veggies/dip, chips/dips, tortilla roll-ups (my recipe below), cheese/crackers, meat cubes (like ham, turkey)/with crackers. This is an afternoon shower. If you want to serve lunch, the chicken salad recipes on small rolls is a good choice. Or, you can serve meat/cheese on small rolls, with a pasta/potato salad and chips.

There's so many foods you can choose - it depends on the mom-to-be's favorites.

My tortilla roll-ups are quick/easy. Get 1 pk/12 flour tortillas, an 8 oz pkg of cream cheese, and 1 jar of medium salsa. Soften the cream cheese, add about 1/2 cup of salsa - more if needed - and mix well. Spread over a tortilla, within 1/2" of the edge. Roll up tightly; cut into 1" slices. Refrigerate until served.

Most important is to have fun!

Anonymous

Well I am planning for my baby shower and I want it to be economical yet a grand one. I had a word with my husband but since we are first time parents we couldn't come up with much of effective ideas. A friend of mine suggested a blog from http://www.napp  er-menu-planning

It cleared off a lot of tiffs I had earlier.

Many years ago, I attended a baby shower with my mother and the nut cups were little baby diapers made out of a sugar confection! Does anyone else remember those and how they are made? Thanks!

Answers

I remember pink and blue flannel, cut in triangles and dipped in wax or paraffin. They were formed into diapers that sat up, like a baby was sitting in them. They were always pinned in front with a little gold pin.

Ewwwwwww, that's gross! Diapers with little turds in them? Eww!

Hi- I haven't seen the diapers you describe, but I wonder if they might be made from marzipan? It sounds very cute! Regards- Cheryl

By Linda (Guest Post)

AT my moms last shower the nutcups were made from 3 stacked marshmallows-2 on bottom with one on top and then decorative royal icing was used to make them look like booties.