Banana Bread Rises in the Middle

Why does my banana bread rise in the middle?

It should rise in the middle. That is the baking soda or powder working.

I make banana bread with a tablespoon baking powder but no baking soda, and it still rises

every time I bake it rises in the middle

i think that the reason it rises in the middle but not the edges is that the edge of the pan traps the growing dough due to the proximity of the metal or glass but in the middle it is free to rise

You might try leaving it sit for 3-5 minutes before putting it in the oven. Wait too long and you risk a sunken middle, but waiting just a bit will allow the leavening to stop.

I like that look...but I know a lot of people prefer the flat look of bread tops.

My friend who is successful at getting perfect bread tops (banana, zucchini, spice, raisin etc.) has 3 tips--make sure the batter is even throughout the baking pan, drop the baking temperature 10-20 degrees and add 5 to 10 minutes to the bake time--watching it VERY carefully toward the end. She uses a toothpick to test (I just use a knife, but she says toothpicks cause less damage).

Too me that is too labor intensive...I just want to bake and eat...but she is all about the look!

Food and Recipes Food Tips Baking BreadJanuary 29, 2019
📓
🐛
🌻