Barbecue Chicken Recipes

Category BBQ & Grill
A delicious poultry entree to prepare anytime of year. This guide contains barbecue chicken recipes.

For many years, we have enjoyed cooking outside on our Holland Grill, especially during the hot summer months. It cooks much like an oven with no open flame so cooking this chicken in a pan works great. It can also be baked in the oven as well.

My husband likes to get in the kitchen now and then and make BBQ chicken. He does not look at a recipe or measure anything, he just adds what he thinks is needed. However this time he measured so I could share his recipe on Thriftyfun. The chicken turned out perfectly.

Years ago, he started out using my recipe for BBQ chicken but the more he made it, the more he changed it and added other ingredients. I baked it in the oven and he even changed that. He cooked it on the Holland Grill. It really is good. Much better than my old recipe.

I'm glad to let him have the kitchen and cook anytime he desires but the BBQ sauce is about the only thing he enjoys making. He puts it all together and then lets me clean up the kitchen and do the cooking on the grill.

This recipe is good to use with barbeque pork as well. We haven't tried beef yet, but he's talking about that. I have heard that beef is what they barbeque in Texas and I'll bet it is good.

Prep Time: 20 minutes

Cook Time: 1 1/2 hours

Total Time: 2 hours

Yield: It's just the two of us so we eat it left over. It's good for several days or it can be frozen after cooking.

• 3 lb boneless, skinless, chicken thighs or approximately 9 bone-in, skinless, chicken thighs
  • ½ cup water
  • ½ cup vinegar
  • ½ cup ketchup
  • 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 Tbsp Texas Pete
  • 2 Tbsp prepared mustard
  • ½ tsp salt
  • ½ tsp pepper
  • 1 tsp honey
  • 3 Tbsp brown sugar (not pictured)
  • paprika
  • Pam cooking spray

1. Rinse chicken thighs and trim off fat. (If using bone-in thighs, remove the skin and fat)
  2. Spray 9½" X 13" pan with Pam cooking spray. Place chicken thighs in pan.
  3. Ad

4. In a sauce pan, prepare sauce by mixing all remaining ingredients together except the Paprika. Place on stove and bring sauce to a boil.
  5. Pour the hot BBQ sauce over chicken thighs and sprinkle chicken with paprika.
  6. Set it aside. Let it marinate for a few minutes while heating the Holland grill or the oven.
  7. Ad

8. Place on grill and close lid. Cook chicken uncovered for 45 minutes. Raise lid and turn pan around, front to the back, and cook 45 more minutes.
  9. Sauce will thicken and chicken should be well done.
  10. If you bake it in the oven, set oven temperature at 325 F. Bake uncovered for 1 ½ hours.
  11. Ad

Take a bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce and add a jar of apricot jam and blend. Cover your chicken on the grill with it and cook slowly continuing to cover the chicken with the sauce on both sides. This is yummy.

Brown chicken and onion in hot fat. Remove chicken from frying pan and add remaining ingredients to frying pan. Simmer 30 minutes. Pour sauce over chicken.

Preheat oven to 225 degrees F. Remove skin from the chicken. Place chicken in pan with fat portion up. Mix sauce ingredients and spoon 1/3 of the sauce on the chicken and bake for 2 1/2 hours.

Tastes just like Chili's Montery Chicken! Place chicken breasts in large zip lock bag and pour enough BBQ sauce in bag to cover the chicken. Marinate them in the fridge from about 30 minutes. Preheat oven to broil HI, with rack 4 inches from heat.

Cynthia Smith0 found this helpful

You can always make extra of this summer favorite to enjoy throughout the year! For variety, try using this recipe to make a delicious topping on homemade pizza!

Pour mixture over wings and marinate overnight. Bake in single layer on cookie sheets for 1 hour at 350 degrees F.

Combine tomato sauce, oil juice, vinegar and spices to make marinade. Marinate halves or pieces of chicken in shallow dish with tomato sauce mixture for at least 2 hours or overnight in refrigerator.

Bring to a boil and put chicken pieces into sauce. Cook at a rolling boil for 5 minutes, then drain and put on hot grill until both sides are golden brown.

Bring to a boil. Four times this recipe is just right for 3 chickens. Soak chicken in brine for 1 hour. Bring to a boil.

Simmer for 15 minutes. Grill chicken for 45 minutes, turning and basting with bring every 5 minutes on medium heat.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Mix barbecue sauce and mustard in pie plate or shallow dish; set aside. Combine coating mix and garlic powder in separate pie plate or shallow dish.

I have a recipe that says to cook ribs in 2 bottles of barbecue sauce and then cover the ribs the rest of the way with water and bring to a boil, then simmer till done. Then put the ribs on the outdoor gas grill and turn and baste for 20 minutes till brown. I did this and it was delicious. I wonder if chicken could be cooked the same way?

I appreciate all replies.

Thanks
P.J. from Delaware

Answers

You can actually marinate your chicken in the barbeque sauce. It's really delicious in the oven and I bet it would be heavenly on the grill. I would just marinate the chicken in the BBQ sauce and then cook on the grill as you did with the ribs.

I'd slather on the bbq sauce during the last 5 mins. of cooking because it will burn (previous experience).

By dosize (Guest Post)

Another good way to cook the ribs is to slather the BBQ sauce on and slow bake them in the oven for several hours. Wrap them up in all the sauce and juices and refrigerate over night. The next day cook them on the grill adding more sauce as desired. The BBQ sauce is soaked up by the ribs and they are super delicious!!!

For chicken and pork, sauces, marinades and cooking methods are often almost interchangable. I usually tweak the sauce a bit differently for chicken, and use slightly different rubs. Also there are smoke woods I use on fowl that I'd never use on pork, and if I pre-cooked the chicken in the kitchen I probably wouldn't cook it quite aa long.

When trying something like this for the first time I usually stay as close to the original recipe as I can. I make notes of any changes while cooking, as well as possible considerations for future changes. Then if it basically works, I'll use it again with a few tweeks and more notes, and after several tries and experiments it usually turns out the way I want it. Once in a while though in a case like using a really good pork recipe on chicken, after the first try I know I don't need to change a thing.

By (Guest Post)

I'd tweak the recipe. If you cook chicken until done before putting on the grill, it will be so tender that it probably will fall apart. A good rule of thumb is to grill the chicken first, then put BBQ sauce over it and bake, microwave, or simmer on stove top.

I see absolutely no reason why this wouldn't work (in fact it sounds good) but you will have to adjust your times. I would bring the bbq sauce and water mix to a boil first, then add the chicken, return to a boil and parboil for about 15 minutes. When you finish it on the grill I would start checking it after about 10 minutes. I'm sure it will take some experimentation to get the times right - remember white meat cooks faster than dark - but I bet it'll be good. In fact, I may just try this myself!

I recently did beer can chicken on the barbecue. Now I would like to do it again using wine instead of beer. Has anyone tried it? White wine or red wine?

Sharon from Canada

Answers

By jean (Guest Post)

Red wine, the heartier the better. Try rubbing the chicken with garlic, and using chianti.

By Aunty C (Guest Post)

Hey, Sharon..... Sure you can. Just fill a soda or beer can with whichever wine you like (red or white) and go for it. You can also use apple juice, lemonaide, almost any liquid. I know that white wine used to be used for fish, and red wine for meat, but I don't think that holds true anymore. Just use what you have.

By (Guest Post)

We have found it doesn't matter what liquid you use, the chicken will be moist. We once tried orange soda. It gave it a slightly orange flavor, but not enough for anyone to know if they hadn't seen us use it. I would imagine you could use either wine, but I wonder if it is the fizz (in beer and pop) that helps. As the can heats up, the fizz boils over to "baste" the chicken. Give it a try, I doubt it would hurt it any.

By jean (Guest Post)

Use red wine, the heartier the better. Try rubbing the chicken with garlic, and using chianti.

By (Guest Post)

I wouldn't use an expensive wine as you won't get the flavor anyway. We just did one today using cheap red wine and seasoning the outside of the chicken with spices, garlic, lemon pepper, salt, pepper whatever my husband grabbed and grilled it with apple wood chips for smoke flavor and it was fantastic. We have done these with lots of different liquids and never have we tasted any of the liquid flavors, they just make the meat very moist.

I would like some help finding a recipe for Applebee's Boneless Barbecued Chicken. I will be having a party and would love to serve it. Thanks for your help.

Donna J. from Troy, NY

Answers

hello go to the site that is a copycat cooking and see if they have a applebees recipes.

By LaVaun (Guest Post)

Go to kopykat.com

They have recipes from restaraunts

By Bev M. (Guest Post)

Try this web site. I've found a lot of my fav foods on it. Good luck!!!
http://www.tops  .com/recipes.asp

• 2 tsp. shortening
  • 1 can tomato soup
  • 1/3 cup chopped onion
  • 1 small garlic clove, minced
  • 1 tsp. brown sugar
  • 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tsp. vinegar
  • 1 tsp. mustard
  • dash Tabasco, if desired

Directions:

Brown chicken in shortening. Combine ingredients and pour over chicken. Simmer about 45 minutes or until chicken is tender.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Ingredients

• 1 (26 oz) can tomato soup
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 2 tsp. dry mustard
  • 1 tsp. onion mustard
  • 8 bone in chicken breast halves, skin removed

Directions

Mix soup, honey, mustard and onion powder.

Grill or broil chicken for about 35 minutes or till done, turn often and brush with sauce during cooking.

Heat remaining sauce to a boil and serve with chicken.

This is a nice change from the usual BBQ chicken you usually serve.

By IMAQT1962