Barbecue Chicken Recipes

Category BBQ & Grill
A delicious poultry entree to prepare anytime of year. This guide contains barbecue chicken recipes.

Take a bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce and add a jar of apricot jam and blend. Cover your chicken on the grill with it and cook slowly continuing to cover the chicken with the sauce on both sides. This is yummy.

By lilac from Northampton, MA

• 1 frying chicken
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 2 Tbsp. shortening
  • 2 Tbsp. vinegar
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
  • 1 cup ketchup
  • 1/2 tsp. mustard
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/2 cup celery, chopped
  • salt and pepper

Directions:

Brown chicken and onion in hot fat. Remove chicken from frying pan and add remaining ingredients to frying pan. Simmer 30 minutes. Pour sauce over chicken. Bake, uncovered, for 1 hour at 325 degrees F.

By Robin from Washington, IA

• 4 chicken breasts
  • 4 chicken thighs
  • 10 drumsticks
  • 1 bottle barbecue sauce (18oz.)
  • 2 Tbsp. mustard
  • 8 Tbsp. ketchup
  • Ad

• 2 Tbsp. hot sauce
  • 4 Tbsp. mayonnaise

Directions:

Preheat oven to 225 degrees F. Remove skin from the chicken. Place chicken in pan with fat portion up. Mix sauce ingredients and spoon 1/3 of the sauce on the chicken and bake for 2 1/2 hours. Remove from oven and turn chicken over. Spoon 1/2 of the remaining sauce on the chicken. Bake for 1 1/2 hours. Turn chicken over for the last time and spoon the remaining sauce over the chicken. Bake for 2 more hours. Note: This makes sure the barbecue sauce cooks into the chicken.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Tastes just like Chili's Montery Chicken!

Directions:

Place chicken breasts in large zip lock bag and pour enough BBQ sauce in bag to cover the chicken. Marinate them in the fridge from about 30 minutes. Preheat oven to broil HI, with rack 4 inches from heat.

In a large oven proof skillet (I used my trusty cast iron skillet), over medium heat, saute chicken until mostly done, about 4 minutes per side. Pour some BBQ sauce over chicken. Place desired amount of onions* on the chicken. Cover with cheese (how ever much you want) Place bacon on top.

Place pan in the oven and broil until the bacon has crisped up, about 5 minutes. Or until the chicken reads 165 degrees F on a instant read thermometer.

*Caramelize Onions

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Thinly slice your desired amount of onions. Coat lightly with vegetable oil. Season with salt and pepper. In a dutch oven or casserole dish fitted with a lid, bake for around 1 hour, or until desired color is reached Make sure you stir them every 15 minutes so they don't burn.

Servings: 4
Time:60 Minutes Preparation Time
60 Minutes Cooking Time

Source: Mommy's Kitchen blog, originally from Hungry Housewife.com

By LovingLynden from Lynden, WA

Cynthia Smith0 found this helpful

You can always make extra of this summer favorite to enjoy throughout the year! For variety, try using this recipe to make a delicious topping on homemade pizza!

Ingredients for Tangy Apricot Barbecue Sauce:

Ingredients for Chicken and Roasted Onions:

Directions:

First prepare the Tangy Apricot Barbecue Sauce by heating the onion, ginger and cooking oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat until tender. Add the catsup, apricot preserves, orange juice, Worcestershire sauce and pepper. Bring to a boil before reducing heat and simmering for 10 minutes or until slightly thickened.

Next, prepare the onions. Fold a 48 x 48 inch piece of heavy foil in half to make a double-thick piece of foil that measures 24 x 48 inches. Coat the foil with non-stick cooking spray. Place the onions, leeks, green onions and garlic in the center of the foil. Drizzle with oil before sprinkling with thyme, salt and pepper. Bring together two opposite edges of foil and seal by folding over twice. Fold the remaining edges to enclose the vegetables being sure to leave space in order for steam to build. Grill the onion mix packet on an uncovered grill over medium coals for about 30 minutes or until the onions are tender. About 15 minutes into the onion's cooking time, add the chicken breast to the grill and cook until the chicken is tender and no longer pink turning once halfway through grilling. You may use some of the Tangy Apricot Barbecue Sauce during the last 5 minutes of cooking time on the chicken as well.

To freeze the Tangy Apricot Barbecue Sauce, transfer the sauce to an airtight container or freezer container and freeze for up to three months.

To freeze the Barbecue Chicken and Roasted Onions, Place two chicken breasts and portions of the onion mixture into freezer-safe self-sealing plastic bags and freeze for up to three months.

To use frozen Tangy Apricot Barbecue Sauce and Barbecue Chicken with Roasted Onions, thaw in the refrigerator overnight.

Barbecued Chicken with Roasted Onions yields 6 servings.

Pour mixture over wings and marinate overnight. Bake in single layer on cookie sheets for 1 hour at 350 degrees F.

Combine tomato sauce, oil juice, vinegar and spices to make marinade. Marinate halves or pieces of chicken in shallow dish with tomato sauce mixture for at least 2 hours or overnight in refrigerator.

Bring to a boil and put chicken pieces into sauce. Cook at a rolling boil for 5 minutes, then drain and put on hot grill until both sides are golden brown.

Bring to a boil. Four times this recipe is just right for 3 chickens. Soak chicken in brine for 1 hour. Bring to a boil. Simmer for 15 minutes. Grill chicken for 45 minutes, turning and basting with bring every 5 minutes on medium heat.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Mix barbecue sauce and mustard in pie plate or shallow dish; set aside. Combine coating mix and garlic powder in separate pie plate or shallow dish.

I have a recipe that says to cook ribs in 2 bottles of barbecue sauce and then cover the ribs the rest of the way with water and bring to a boil, then simmer till done. Then put the ribs on the outdoor gas grill and turn and baste for 20 minutes till brown. I did this and it was delicious. I wonder if chicken could be cooked the same way?
I appreciate all replies.

Thanks
P.J. from Delaware

Answers

You can actually marinate your chicken in the barbeque sauce. It's really delicious in the oven and I bet it would be heavenly on the grill. I would just marinate the chicken in the BBQ sauce and then cook on the grill as you did with the ribs.

I'd slather on the bbq sauce during the last 5 mins. of cooking because it will burn (previous experience).

Another good way to cook the ribs is to slather the BBQ sauce on and slow bake them in the oven for several hours. Wrap them up in all the sauce and juices and refrigerate over night. The next day cook them on the grill adding more sauce as desired. The BBQ sauce is soaked up by the ribs and they are super delicious!!!

For chicken and pork, sauces, marinades and cooking methods are often almost interchangable. I usually tweak the sauce a bit differently for chicken, and use slightly different rubs. Also there are smoke woods I use on fowl that I'd never use on pork, and if I pre-cooked the chicken in the kitchen I probably wouldn't cook it quite aa long.

When trying something like this for the first time I usually stay as close to the original recipe as I can. I make notes of any changes while cooking, as well as possible considerations for future changes. Then if it basically works, I'll use it again with a few tweeks and more notes, and after several tries and experiments it usually turns out the way I want it. Once in a while though in a case like using a really good pork recipe on chicken, after the first try I know I don't need to change a thing.

I'd tweak the recipe. If you cook chicken until done before putting on the grill, it will be so tender that it probably will fall apart. A good rule of thumb is to grill the chicken first, then put BBQ sauce over it and bake, microwave, or simmer on stove top.

I see absolutely no reason why this wouldn't work (in fact it sounds good) but you will have to adjust your times. I would bring the bbq sauce and water mix to a boil first, then add the chicken, return to a boil and parboil for about 15 minutes. When you finish it on the grill I would start checking it after about 10 minutes. I'm sure it will take some experimentation to get the times right - remember white meat cooks faster than dark - but I bet it'll be good. In fact, I may just try this myself!

I recently did beer can chicken on the barbecue. Now I would like to do it again using wine instead of beer. Has anyone tried it? White wine or red wine?

Sharon from Canada

Answers

Red wine, the heartier the better. Try rubbing the chicken with garlic, and using chianti.

Hey, Sharon..... Sure you can. Just fill a soda or beer can with whichever wine you like (red or white) and go for it. You can also use apple juice, lemonaide, almost any liquid. I know that white wine used to be used for fish, and red wine for meat, but I don't think that holds true anymore. Just use what you have.

We have found it doesn't matter what liquid you use, the chicken will be moist. We once tried orange soda. It gave it a slightly orange flavor, but not enough for anyone to know if they hadn't seen us use it. I would imagine you could use either wine, but I wonder if it is the fizz (in beer and pop) that helps. As the can heats up, the fizz boils over to "baste" the chicken. Give it a try, I doubt it would hurt it any.

Use red wine, the heartier the better. Try rubbing the chicken with garlic, and using chianti.

I wouldn't use an expensive wine as you won't get the flavor anyway. We just did one today using cheap red wine and seasoning the outside of the chicken with spices, garlic, lemon pepper, salt, pepper whatever my husband grabbed and grilled it with apple wood chips for smoke flavor and it was fantastic. We have done these with lots of different liquids and never have we tasted any of the liquid flavors, they just make the meat very moist.

I would like some help finding a recipe for Applebee's Boneless Barbecued Chicken. I will be having a party and would love to serve it. Thanks for your help.

Donna J. from Troy, NY

Answers

hello go to the site that is a copycat cooking and see if they have a applebees recipes.

Go to kopykat.com

They have recipes from restaraunts

Try this web site. I've found a lot of my fav foods on it. Good luck!!!
http://www.tops  .com/recipes.asp

• 2 tsp. shortening
  • 1 can tomato soup
  • 1/3 cup chopped onion
  • 1 small garlic clove, minced
  • 1 tsp. brown sugar
  • 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tsp. vinegar
  • 1 tsp. mustard
  • dash Tabasco, if desired

Directions:

Brown chicken in shortening. Combine ingredients and pour over chicken. Simmer about 45 minutes or until chicken is tender.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Ingredients

• 1 (26 oz) can tomato soup
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 2 tsp. dry mustard
  • 1 tsp. onion mustard
  • 8 bone in chicken breast halves, skin removed

Directions

Mix soup, honey, mustard and onion powder.

Grill or broil chicken for about 35 minutes or till done, turn often and brush with sauce during cooking.

Heat remaining sauce to a boil and serve with chicken.

This is a nice change from the usual BBQ chicken you usually serve.

By IMAQT1962