Adapting a BBQ Rib Recipe for Chicken

I have a recipe that says to cook ribs in 2 bottles of barbecue sauce and then cover the ribs the rest of the way with water and bring to a boil, then simmer till done. Then put the ribs on the outdoor gas grill and turn and baste for 20 minutes till brown. I did this and it was delicious. I wonder if chicken could be cooked the same way?

I appreciate all replies.

Thanks
P.J. from Delaware

You can actually marinate your chicken in the barbeque sauce. It's really delicious in the oven and I bet it would be heavenly on the grill. I would just marinate the chicken in the BBQ sauce and then cook on the grill as you did with the ribs.

I'd slather on the bbq sauce during the last 5 mins. of cooking because it will burn (previous experience).

Another good way to cook the ribs is to slather the BBQ sauce on and slow bake them in the oven for several hours. Wrap them up in all the sauce and juices and refrigerate over night. The next day cook them on the grill adding more sauce as desired. The BBQ sauce is soaked up by the ribs and they are super delicious!!!

For chicken and pork, sauces, marinades and cooking methods are often almost interchangable. I usually tweak the sauce a bit differently for chicken, and use slightly different rubs. Also there are smoke woods I use on fowl that I'd never use on pork, and if I pre-cooked the chicken in the kitchen I probably wouldn't cook it quite aa long.

When trying something like this for the first time I usually stay as close to the original recipe as I can. I make notes of any changes while cooking, as well as possible considerations for future changes. Then if it basically works, I'll use it again with a few tweeks and more notes, and after several tries and experiments it usually turns out the way I want it. Once in a while though in a case like using a really good pork recipe on chicken, after the first try I know I don't need to change a thing.

I'd tweak the recipe. If you cook chicken until done before putting on the grill, it will be so tender that it probably will fall apart. A good rule of thumb is to grill the chicken first, then put BBQ sauce over it and bake, microwave, or simmer on stove top.

I see absolutely no reason why this wouldn't work (in fact it sounds good) but you will have to adjust your times. I would bring the bbq sauce and water mix to a boil first, then add the chicken, return to a boil and parboil for about 15 minutes. When you finish it on the grill I would start checking it after about 10 minutes. I'm sure it will take some experimentation to get the times right - remember white meat cooks faster than dark - but I bet it'll be good. In fact, I may just try this myself!