Baseboard Ideas for a Red Room

Picking the right color of baseboards is important when the room are decorating is painted red. This is a guide about baseboard ideas for a red room.

Do any of you have advice on baseboards for red rooms? I painted my family room Ralph Lauren Duke Red. My floor is travertine tile. I have two sets of stairs into the room; both are varnished oak. I am seriously confused about baseboards. I want 'tall' baseboards - at least 6 inches, right? But the white seems too bright.

The oak is SO expensive (and hard to find) if you are looking for 100 feet of 6 in. tall baseboards. Other options? I notice that in most of the photos here you have gone with white baseboards - but I don't see it looking good between the oak stairs, the travertine tile and the red walls. White would be too stark in that room.

Answers

Best Answer

Why not buy a less expensive wood, say a one buy six pine, with quarter round at the floor level, and finish it to match the oak. I think the natural wood is the only way to go with that red. It could be shaped at the top with a router. Home Depot has all this stuff and you can get really good advice from their employees. I do know, since we have bought it, that you can buy miles of their quarter round to finish out baseboards for very little money.

Best Answer

I'd go with a stained wood. My home office has the same red walls (I know what you went through with the paint. Wow.) I got some plain old knotty pine (it's right cheap) and stained it a medium/dark stain with a polyurethane topcoat. It looks great. FYI, when we bought this house a while back, the living room had a fire engine red/white color scheme and it was just horrible. It was the first thing to get painted.

Best Answer

If you are truly interested in the white baseboards, a more muted alternative would be an antiqued white or off-white color. Same effect you are thinking of but because the baseboards wouldn't be truly white there would be less contrast. All depends what you decide you really like!

Best Answer

Stain grade pine looks pretty good with the right stain color. If you cannot bring yourself to combine the pine with the oak, just get the paint grade pine.

If you really do not want white, pick a color from the same color family that is 2 or 3 shades darker or lighter than your floor tile -- it will tie them together.