Bean Soup

My husband, who says he hates bean soup, loved this, so that is saying something! This makes a big pot, so there is plenty to freeze and enjoy for future meals.

I soak my beans overnight, then cook in the Instant Pot. I either use them right away or freeze them in two cup portions. This reduces the time needed to cook the soup to an hour or so.

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 2-3 hours

Total Time: Around 3 hours

Yield: 4 quarts

1. Soak beans overnight in water to cover. To reduce gas, discard this water and use fresh water or ham stock.
  2. If making ham stock, use one ham hock, 1-2 Tbsp. vinegar and water to cover. Bring to a boil, simmer 1-2 hours.
  3. Remove the hock, cut the meat off, and add to the soup later.
  4. Sauté the onion and the garlic in oil or butter until transparent.
  5. Combine the beans, water or stock, onions, garlic, carrots and celery in a soup pot. Simmer, covered, until the beans are tender.
  6. Add the tomatoes, meat and any seasonings and cook 30 minutes more.
  7. I like to use the immersion blender on this soup.

I was just looking at a recipe for Senate Bean soup, which has been served at the U.S. Congress for years. This recipe is pretty much identical to it. Sounds delicious. Ham and bean go wonderfully together.

Food and Recipes Recipes Soups BeanJanuary 19, 2021
💘
🍀
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Bean-Soup-4.html