Best Ever Split Pea Soup
This is the best and most frugal split pea soup recipe I know how to make. You can use yellow or green split peas.
Total Time: overnight
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups dry split peas, green or yellow
- 1 smoked ham hock
- 2 Tbsp fat
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 4 cups milk
- salt and pepper
- Put water, split peas and ham hock in a crock pot. Cook on low until peas are very mushy, and the ham falls off the bone.
- Remove ham hock. Cut up ham meat and discard bone.
- Place fat and flour in a pot on the stove. Heat until foamy. Add milk and scald. Add ham meat and cooked peas. Mix well.
- Season with salt and black pepper.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!