Bug Themed Birthday Party Ideas

Category Party Themes
Make your child's next party memorable by planning it around a bug theme. This is a guide about bug themed birthday party ideas.

My son wants a bug themed birthday party, what suggestions might anyone have for party favors/take home items for the children? Also any games or activities would be great. We have a huge backyard and most guests will be boys with lots of energy.
Thanks.

CeAnne

Answers

Best Answer

A great take home for the kids would be a Bug House. These can be made quite inexpensively if you have a jig saw. Cut a rectangle 3 x 5 or whatever size you like. Cut two squares the same width as your rectangle. Round the top corners on each square. Drill a hole in the center of one square to put a cork in. This will serve as an entrance to the bug house. Attach the squares to each end of the rectangle. Cut a piece of screen to fit over this frame and staple in place. Stick the cork in the entrance hole...A wonderful cage for collecting bugs...or as with my grandson...he loves to collect lizards in his. He observes for a while and then releases them.

Kids love 'em!!
Harlean

There are no coincidences in this life!

Best Answer

You can always adapt "pin the tail on the donkey" to fit any theme. Maybe pin the bee on the hive? Or pin the spider on the web? If you were able to lay hands on some Halloween decorations, they usually include spiders & webs.

Becki in IN

Best Answer

We are having a bug party for our soon to be 6 year old. Instead of goodie bags we are making some bug jars with tweezers and magnifying glasses for the kids. For games we are planning Pin The Spider On The Web & A Spider Race. Another cute idea is dying rice green to look like grass and putting plastic insects and letting kids search for them with tweezers. We are having "Ants on a Log" for a snack. This is celery with peanut butter and raisins on top. Hope this will help!

Best Answer

My son is having a bug theme party. I am making a caterpillar cake out of cupcakes and green icing with dyed green coconut. For a craft to keep them occupied we are making caterpillars and ants out of egg cartons that they decorate themselves. I found bug masks, a grasshopper and a butterfly that I am copying and making up to hand out to kids as they enter.

My invitations were made by finding 3D bug stickers and I placed them on blank invitations and wrote:

"Bug out with, (son's name), on his 3rd birthday"

and inside it read

"Bee there:---(date)"
"Fly on over to:---(address)"
"Infestation time:----(time)"
"Buzzzz me at:----(phone number)"

"Thank you for joining my swarm!!!!"

I have a recipe for a punch where you take green sherbert, pour ginger ale on top and add spiders made out of little marshmallows and black licorice whips. For party favors, my son and I are painting rocks as ladybugs for magnets or paper weights, throwing in some plastic bugs, and gummy worms and buggy pencils and stickers. I went to a dollar store and found some big plastic bugs that I am decorating the table with I hope this helps! Have fun!

Best Answer

Use yellow balloons and black construction paper and crepe paper to make bumble bee balloons. Take yellow balloons filled with helium, and attach black string. Next tape the black string to the middle of the balloon in order to make the balloon look more like a bee shape. Finally tape on black crepe paper for stripes and construction paper for wings. Finish off your bee with a smiley face using a black permenant marker!

Best Answer

How cool, bugs! That's what we are doing this summer for my 7 year old. We found nets at the dollar store and we bought bug catchers at the feed store and got a discount for buying more than 12. We are going to go on a hunt to see who can find the first bug!

One thing the kids are each going to do is get their own clear plastic cup which we will make our own bug gardens. To do that you'll have to make one super size batch of Jello choc pudding about 6 boxes and dispense it out so they can crush Oreo cookies on top and put there gummy worms in there "garden". I also have on order plastic safari hats for the kids to wear while out hunting for bugs! I am putting in the invitations please wear old jeans and tee shirts we will get dirty. We always have a craft (which will be our Jello-to take home, after they are made write their names on with a Sharpie and wrap with colored clear plastic wrap and keep in the fridge until it's time to go) a game (which will be the bug hunt) we will probably put plastic bugs out there too just for them to catch something and put in there nets and bug catchers and a bug pinata. Then we do cake and ice cream, presents and call it a day, and I always have loved parties from 2-4. Then lunch and dinner are never intended and I have plenty of time to set up and clean up! Have a great bug day!

Best Answer

My little guy also is in love with bugs. He turns six this month and we are having a bug themed party. One of the things we are doing is having a scavenger hunt. We found plastic bugs at the $ store. We will scatter the bugs around and the guests will have a card that reads 1 green grasshopper (and show a pic of the grasshopper), 4 black spiders, 2 lady bugs, 3 worms, etc. They will also have their own bug box to collect their fake & real finds with! Love some of the other ideas on here...we should all have fun!