SoupFood Tips

Buying Fish Bones for Soup Stock

What is an inexpensive source for fish bones from filleting salmon (for fish stock)?

Go to a fish store and ask them to save the bones for you. They may give them to you for free

Hi,

I agree with Judy. I would ask the butcher for any scraps or bones left over so you can cook them into stock.

Blessings,

Robyn

The employees behind the seafood counter at my local Asian market give them to me for free. I use them for the same purpose.

No fish is inexpensive any more. Just be sure to use a non-oily fish. When I used to eat fish, which has been many years, I would use the skins, heads, and bones. Back then grocery stores had their own butchers and they would sometimes have these frozen stock packs of meats or fish.

It used to be dirt cheap. If you have a grocery with a butcher onsite, maybe they could pack you up a stock pack. Best wishes!!

We always ask at our local fish market but they rarely have salmon so you might want to check at an Asian market as suggested.
Our local Public's will give some to me if I happen to arrive at the right time but they will not save them and they have no regular schedule for filleting their fish so that doesn't always work out very well.
I think you may just have to check some of your grocery stores that have a nice meat market and see what they say.

I grew up having fresh fish at least once a week and fish stock was always made with leftover bones and especially fish heads but I guess this may not appeal to everyone in today's cooking.

I did notice that most "original" recipes for fish stock does include fish heads and usually more than one type of fish.

www.epicurious.com/.../strong-fish-stock-105266

www.thespruceeats.com/homemade-fish-stock-recipe-996163

Food and Recipes Food Tips SoupFebruary 7, 2019
🎂
🌻
🎃