Buying a New Bed

Category Home & Garden
It is time to buy a new bed. This is an expensive purchase, so you will want to find the best, most comfortable one for the money. This is a guide about buying a new bed.

I am in the market for a new bed and with so many to choose from, I am overwhelmed! What brand of bed is a dream to sleep on? I have tried out a few beds and those that are solid foam smell too strongly for my allergies. I like the pillow-top kind. What would you get if money was no object.

Paula from GA

Answers

I recently went bed shopping, and i checked out lots of beds. expensive and cheap. I have a bad back and i needed a very soft pillow top. I looked at the expensive ones and other then looking pretty, some were similar to their cheaper counterparts. I finally found the perfect one at Big lots of all places, it's wonderful, a large queen size pillow top set for $399.00. And my back was hurting so bad, i was willing to buy the first one that felt good. Big lots was my 5th stop after the big fancy mattress stores. With mattresses, you pay for material, fabric, and even how fancy the ticking is - (quilted top). Find one that is comfy for you, and your partner too. I you think about it, it's kinda like the old adage about soap. - Large companies make the same soap and package it differently under different names and one they sell at fancy boutiques and the other they sell at stores like walmart. Don't always trust the name. And get one with a warranty. Oh and don't worry about looking silly when trying out beds, if your going to spend the bucks, you should know if it's going to be worth it. Good luck on find what suits you best.

By Paula (Guest Post)

I bought a Serta, pillow-top, mattress and I just love it. It was expensive, so I had to wait until it went on sale. We don't have too many stores to choose from in my town, but I would think that once you choose your mattress, if you watch the sale ads in the paper, you could take an ad in to your local store and see if they would match the price.

Make sure that when you are shopping of 2 things.

#1 There is a return policy if you don't like it

#2 MAKE SURE THEY MAKE SHEETS TO FIT IT!!! We got an Eastern King in a California King area, not only are a lot of sheets not long enough BUT we got a pillow top mattress but on BOTH sides, which makes it really WIDE and hard to fit. Needless to say, I have only about 5 sets of sheets that we rotate, cuz' they are the only ones that FIT!!!

Bed shopping can be as pain staking as car shopping. I used to think
an expensive bed meant it was a good bed. WRONG. Like anything else they are high priced. I was so happy to get our 1st new bed ever. We went to A Dr's Choice mattress store and got a nice King size very thick set. HUGE and not a pillow top.It had a 15 yr warranty and cost over $800 on sale, I was soooo happy! When my back hurt I thought it was because my body wasnt used to a good bed. After a YEAR I was sick of it. One day as I was changing sheets on a sunny day when the room was well lit I noticed sunken areas where we lay. As I looked closer I could see where the sunken in area was like a WELL.. and the center was considerably higher. I was like.. NO WONDER my back hurts!!!

I dug out the warranty papers, and boy is there ALOT of fine print.
I called them and told them the problem and yes they argued the point and called the sunken in part a PREFERANCE!!! Well I told
them I preferred not to have a hurting back 24/7 and that the mattress was still like new The bottom mattress still had the plastic on it and the top had a plastic mattress cover. Sooo... they finaly came out and brought us another one. They saw it and called the store and told them this one IS like new! But they could see the well. So they left the new one.. the guy said they would even sell ours as a NEW one.. which it was over a yr old!!!!

Now.... we still have that 2nd new one but in a different room. We got another new one for our room. Its a Sealy King size.. pillow top.. 18 inches thick. It was great and comphy. We got it last August. And..... guess what its doing the same thing... a WELL on each side right where we sleep. And you cant flip a pillow top. SO we just rotate it and sleep in each others well!! Im deciding if I want to fight with this Bed store or not like I did the other one. We

are NOT obeese! This has to be a common thing. Its very dissapointing! This bed also cost way over $800 too.