Caring for a Dog After it Vomits

Category Health
You should always consult your veterinarian to be sure you are giving your dog proper care. This guide is about caring for a dog after it vomits.

PLEASE READ! DOG IN NEED!

I have a Siberian Husky who is a little over a year old. She was hit by a car almost a month ago, I took her to the vet, she had two major surgeries. Her stomach can only hold liquids, and she vomits everything else, and she is very skinny and still losing weight. The vet and I are trying several things, but I am afraid for her. Is there anything I can give her to help? Please reply if you have ANY ideas! Thank you!

Shayne from Sandy, UT

Answers

Have the vet do bloodwork to ensure there is not an infection taking over. Also check her electrolytes.

Keep her fluids up. Do the broth routine with water as well.

I went thru a similiar situation after surgery 3 years ago . If it was not for continious IV fluids, I would've died.

Sorry to hear about your poor baby.

Hopefully your vet can fix this or consider seeing another vet.

There is a product you can get from the vet. It's in a tube, has lots of great nutrition and apparently tastes yummy for dogs.

It's very rich and expensive and he cant live on it but it might at least give him some strength to heal what he needs to heal.

Does anyone else know the product I am speaking of? People often use it for dogs that are sick and dont feellike eating.

Best of luck and love to you both.

try fast track from conklin it is probiotic and will help her stomach and has other forms that will help your poor baby. email me for info if you would like.
mitchells 96 @ hotmail. com

I would ask the vet to be in touch with the nearest vet college, they are the top of the industry. Hope she's doing better today!

The vet college is good but if you don't have one FIND ANOTHER VET!! This person is incompetent!!

Go out and get a couple cans of Iams canned puppy food...and a box of Gerber baby RICE cereal. Don't get the oatmeal or mixed..it needs to be the rice cereal. Use about 1/3 of the can of the puppy food and mix in 1/2 cup of rice cereal. It's bland, but has tons of carbs. Using hot water, mix it until its thin enough that she won't throw it up. She should be able to keep it down. Feed her this at least 6 times a day. Some dogs have a very sensitive stomach after a trauma. If she can keep this down, she will be able to eat regularly again later on. Give her time to adjust, but keep the meals small and frequent. Good luck!

If this vet has no answers get one that does without haste and never go to him again!

get another vet first. how about gatoraide. ally will drink anything if she sees me drink it. or chicken broth.

I feel very bad for your dog. I had a little beagle that started vomiting ALOT and was in the hospital for awhile. They tried all kinds of stomach meds and finally gave him CENTRINE. It calmed his stomach and stopped the vomiting. I hope this helps and I hope your little fur baby gets better. Sending good thoughts and prayers your way.

How about a drink of ENSURE it comes in
vanilla, strawberry and choc. flavor and it has

a lot of nutrients. I give this to my mom daily
at least one bottle and she feels better as
she does not always eat a lot of food.
Ask vet if it is ok for doggie to have it.
I wish your dog well. Let us know, prayers for
doggie and you.

you can actually try to cook potato mixed with carrot and chicken. made it into porridge (rice) and let him drink the broth. it is very nutrition. it doesnt matter if he doesnt eat the chicken. Nutrients from the potato, carrot and chicken has gone into the broth. do it everyday and i hope your pet would love the taste. normally i would let it boil on low fire until the carrot, potato and chicken are soft.

Science Diet sells a canned food that is used for both dog and cats,its called AD. It can be liquidfied and put into a IV tube if nessacary. They use it to feed animals that are recovering from tramua or surgery. See if your Vet can find this for you. I agree with everyone else. find another vet and get your pets medical records, Good luck.I lost my yukon 2 years ago due to posion.Huskys Rule!

My Dog is coughing or hacking and has a clear or sometimes foaming vomit. Are there any home remedies out there?

Jeff from Lubbock, TX

Our little chihuahua contacted Parvo in a pet clothes shop. The dear Lord spared him, but now he has a lot of trouble with nausea and vomiting. Is there some way to treat this? He is not dehydrating, and seems healthy other than his wimpy stomach. I'm looking for suggestions.

Deborah from CA

My dog lately has been going off and getting into other peoples garbage. When she returns she vomits up some food she has ingested. To curb this problem we no longer allow her outside unless we are with her. She is 9 years old and until recently she would never leave our yard. The problem now is that she is intermittently vomiting up bile. It does not happen everyday.

I believe her behavior is because our youngest daughter is a freshman in college and away from home for the first time in the dog's life. The dog is very active and playful and nothing else is different. Should we be concerned, what can we do?

Shay from Ewing NJ

My dog was throwing up and now he does not want to eat. What can I do?

Dennis from Bronx, NY

Answers

Dennis, this type of problem can turn so serious so quickly, I suggest calling your vet right away. There are many different things that might be causing it, but guessing wrong could endanger your dog's life. If you don't have the money, beg or borrow enough to get him to the vet ASAP. Good luck, and keep us posted on his recovery.

This just happened to us recently. Our dog ate cat poop and some of the litter got stuck. They did some tests, put her on antibiotics and fluids. Yes, it was about $600, but worth it! If you have to, just have them do an xray to see if there is pancritis or a blockage, then decide what to do from there. That was only about $100.

Take your pet to the vet! It could be something serious! If you really love your pet, you don't want them sick and suffering, GO TO THE VET ASAP! :)

Take your dog to the veterinarian. Could be very serious!

I have a black pug. From time to time she vomits her food. Not often. Is there anything out there my pug can eat that won't upset here already upset stomach.

Jane

Answers

Your dog may have a food allergy. Your best bet is to contact your vet and make an appt to get your dog checked out.

Hi Jane- I've referred to this website from time to time and it's helped. Hopefully it will help you out as well. http://www.veti … om/dogindex.html
Have you tried changing the food at all? If your pug is getting older, her stomach might be more sensitive than it once was... Hope this helps!

try tinned rice pudding. It must be tinned - home made doesn't seem to work!

We have a Pekingese with the same problem. We have found that Chicken flavor Pounce hairball treats help greatly. He has stopped vomiting as long as I remember to feed them to him.
Hope that helps

My dog is not feeling himself. He is vomiting, has a lack of energy, and is not eating much. What can I do for him? Also his poo is dry.